Finding an alternative to Case Keenum

Einstein

5 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

He already said that physically he doesn’t have it in him anymore. Plus he probably enjoys his new job. Try again.

Ok that is news to me. I remember reading in the off-season that Fitz would stay ready to return to football. Maybe that changed.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/insider/story/_/id/33341700/quarterbacks-nfl-free-agency-mitchell-trubisky-marcus-mariota-legit-starting-qb-options-2022

• Disagree 1

4 hours ago, Einstein said:

Great win by the Bills! Seeing Keenum again brought about some reminders of his play.

This is the second blowout where Josh Allen moved the offense at will, then Keenum comes in and looks totally lost. Can barely get a first down. Doesn’t score at all.

Here are the Keenum led drives:

Punt

Punt

Punt

Punt

End of game

Barkley at least could move the offense a little bit after coming in from 2018 to 2020. Even won a game starting. No, he wasn’t great - i’m not making that argument.

Here is my question: Does anyone have confidence that Keenum can win a game if he ever needed to? 

I understand your point.

The Bills are a class organization from top to bottom and I’m disappointed at the number of internet bullies who have shown an enormous lack of class with attacks on the OP. 

The Bills have succeeded in spite of numerous injuries.  Josh Allen is a huge part of why they can overcome that challenge. Seeing Keenum’s less than stellar performance in his second stint in mop up duty raised concerns for Einstein, and he/she came here to share and discuss, presumably because he/she values your opinions. 
instead of a respectful dialogue or counterpoint, Einstein was blasted with insults. 

This is how you treat a fellow Bills’ fan? 

If you don’t find the topic interesting enough to contribute, skip it or choose an emoji that reflects your opinion. 

Go Bills!

Edited by SoMAn
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

And then if Dorsey kept the starters out there and Diggs or Davis or Morse etc got hurt, would you be at the front of the line bitching about how they had no business still being out there when we’re up 38-3?  Especially when we’re already down 3 WR who were routine gameday actives?

We saw Keenum play with the 1’s in pre-season.  The only time I want to see that again in a game is if (avert!) it’s needed

no, I wouldn’t. 

37 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I don’t know if he would be open to it, but I would LOVE to convince Fitzpatrick to come out of retirement and be the back up.

Fitz could legitimately keep a season alive in the case of Allen missing a few games.

No, I was not attempting to do that.

Some people are able to compartmentalize and focus on what needs to get better while enjoying a win.

Others don’t have that ability.

You are so full of crap

You literally sit out there making notes on something that didn’t go right in the game so that you can come in after win and talk about it don’t say that you don’t you’re not fooling anybody

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

20 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

I understand your point.

The Bills are a class organization from top to bottom and I’m disappointed at the number of internet bullies who have shown an enormous lack of class with attacks on the OP. 

The Bills have succeeded in spite of numerous injuries.  Josh Allen is a huge part of why they can overcome that challenge. Seeing Keenum’s less than stellar performance in his second stint in mop up duty raised concerns for Einstein, and he/she came here to share and discuss, presumably because he/she values your opinions. 
instead of a respectful dialogue or counterpoint, Einstein was blasted with insults. 

This is how you treat a fellow Bills’ fan? 

If you don’t find the topic interesting enough to contribute, skip it or choose an emoji that reflects your opinion. 

Go Bills!

The poster is a moron that made the thread just to get a rise.  He is a terrible poster and actually people are being kind as this barely makes his top 10 dumbest posts/threads list, but thanks for playing.

5 hours ago, Einstein said:

Great win by the Bills! Seeing Keenum again brought about some reminders of his play.

This is the second blowout where Josh Allen moved the offense at will, then Keenum comes in and looks totally lost. Can barely get a first down. Doesn’t score at all.

Punt

Punt

Punt

Punt

End of game

Barkley at least could move the offense a little bit after coming in from 2018 to 2020. Even won a game starting. No, he wasn’t great - i’m not making that argument.

Here is my question: Does anyone have confidence that Keenum can win a game if he ever needed to? 

Maybe we could trade for Tribusky and get him back?  Do you think the Steelers would pay most of his remaining salary and only take a 12 pack of Labatt's Blue for him?

7 hours ago, Big Turk said:

So let me get this straight...you are complaining about the backup QB coming in when they are trying to kill the clock and playing with all backups?

SMFH.

When does it end....is there an ignore button somewhere?

Like all Bills fans (I hope, I'm thrilled with the win and the dominant performance, but I don't think there is anything wrong with maintaining an awareness of areas that could use improvement.  I'm sure Brandon Beane has not stopped looking for areas of the roster that he might want to improve when he has the chance.  After a career day, Josh Allen was heard to comment on the mistakes he made.  Regarding Keenum, I don't think anything is likely to happen until the offseason, but a backup QB needs to demonstrate some kind of effectiveness when he's called upon.  Backups are expected to do something when they play even when they don't get the practice reps accorded to the starter, but Keenum is having major accuracy issues.  I do think the Bills will be looking hard at their options at backup QB next spring.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

Ok that is news to me. I remember reading in the off-season that Fitz would stay ready to return to football. Maybe that changed.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/insider/story/_/id/33341700/quarterbacks-nfl-free-agency-mitchell-trubisky-marcus-mariota-legit-starting-qb-options-2022

"I'm retired," Fitzpatrick told us at the Empire State Building this week. "It's official. I'm done." 

The journeyman signal-caller says that's going to stay his final answer even if there's demand for a fresh arm on a roster ... claiming his body wouldn't be too happy if he took any more hits.

"I don't know if my hip would be willing to and I'm comfortable what I'm doing right now."

So, what's he doing now?? Fitzpatrick will still be near the game as a TV analyst for Thursday Night Football on Amazon Prime Video this season ... and he says he's going to give it all he's got in front of the camera.

"There's still a lot of work and preparation that goes into talking about football," Ryan said. "It's more of the mental side of it than all the physical and recovery. I don't get hit anymore which is nice."

I’ve seen other interviews before the season started when he was promoting TNF on Amazon and he echoed those statements. He’s done. 

Why on earth are we talking about the Buffalo Bills backup QB. There is no one available backup wise that replaces Josh Allen. Josh Allen gets hurt for the season we are finished for that season. Think St Bonaventure Bonnies 1970 final 4 team without Bob Lanier it would be a disaster for the 2022 Buffalo Bills without Josh Allen. So the back up QB for the Buffalo Bills doesn’t matter because your not replacing Josh Allen’s production in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by Buffalo Super Fan

Colin Kapernick?  not trolling.  why not a try out?

9 minutes ago, Buffalo Super Fan said:

Why on earth are we talking about the Buffalo Bills backup QB. There is no one available backup wise that replaces Josh Allen. Josh Allen gets hurt for the season we are finished for that season. Think St Bonaventure Bonnies 1970 final 4 team without Bob Lanier it would be a disaster for the 2022 Buffalo Bills without Josh Allen. So the back up QB for the Buffalo Bills doesn’t matter because your not replacing Josh Allen’s production in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

obviously.  but a placeholder to go 500 in a four game stretch matters.  the rest of the team is pretty good too

3 hours ago, Einstein said:

I don’t know if he would be open to it, but I would LOVE to convince Fitzpatrick to come out of retirement and be the back up.

Fitz could legitimately keep a season alive in the case of Allen missing a few games.

No, I was not attempting to do that.

Some people are able to compartmentalize and focus on what needs to get better while enjoying a win.

Others don’t have that ability.

Count me among those who do not have a problem with your topic.  I agree with Meatloaf in the sense that yes, we blew Pittsburgh out of the building, but I also would've liked to have seen more out of Keenum.  Granted, it was mop up duty AND McDermott had called off the dogs to the tune of pretty much the entire starting offense, but let's be honest, Keenum didn't do anything to inspire confidence.  I'm much more willing to discount his performance because of the circumstances, but boy he underachieved.  And as much as I love Fitzy, I simply do not believe he has anything left in the tank to be a legit QB2 anymore.

Here's to JA staying super healthy and injury free the entire season (runs and knocks on some wood).

Edited by smuvtalker
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, Einstein said:

Punt

Punt

Punt

Punt

End of game

Dude, are you for real?  Every thread you start is a “should we be worried about X” discussion.

How about you just chill out and enjoy this team.  Case Keenum is fine in his backup role.

• Thank you (+1) 2

people were upset when barkely was the back up too.  i get the conversation, but what can a team do to improve qb2 at this point in the season.  fitz coming out of retirement is obviously not a option, so what would be  one.    if the op has a legit option, i'd love to hear it.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Einstein said:

Punt

Punt

Punt

Punt

End of game

While we're at it. Also, I was at the game and I watched the sidelines very carefully.

I think we need to upgrade the water boys. They already cost us the Dolphins games and their lack of high quality H20 yesterday cost Josh at least 2 more TDs yesterday.

9 hours ago, smuvtalker said:

Count me among those who do not have a problem with your topic.  I agree with Meatloaf in the sense that yes, we blew Pittsburgh out of the building, but I also would've liked to have seen more out of Keenum. 

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Anyone worried about Elam?

A bit, yes. He was picked on yesterday by a QB in his 1st ever start. Doesn’t mean he won’t get better, but do have a healthy dose of concern for him. 

4 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Thank you.

A bit, yes. He was picked on yesterday by a QB in his 1st ever start. Doesn’t mean he won’t get better, but do have a healthy dose of concern for him. 

It doesn't matter when he plays well with you.  He's played lights out the last few weeks but has a few completed passes on him yesterday....now you're going to bring up you're worried.

Edited by Royale with Cheese

31 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Why in the world was Ken Dorsey throwing the ball in the first place, the game was already over?

I don't understand the logic.

I was surprised at this too; I just figured they were trying to get him some good work rather than just handing off three times and punting. It looks like he needs the reps. 

Just now, WotAGuy said:

I was surprised at this too; I just figured they were trying to get him some good work rather than just handing off three times and punting. It looks like he needs the reps. 

I think it was smart. You want your backup QB to be ready. Best way to get him ready is live action with the offense when the game is out of hand. Not sure handing the ball off a bunch would help get him acclimated to the offense.

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

I think it was smart. You want your backup QB to be ready. Best way to get him ready is live action with the offense when the game is out of hand. Not sure handing the ball off a bunch would help get him acclimated to the offense.

For next season I would like to see a younger backup that still has a chance to develop enough to stick around for a few years.

Someone like Kyle Allen or a Drew Lock who have played some and can get you .500 with the Bills O.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Thank you.

No concern whatsoever for Elam.  The kid is a gamer all day, and let's not overlook the fact that he's got a good head on his shoulders.  A first round pick, who gets bumped for a sixth rounder to start the season despite a solid training camp.  Does he gripe and moan, no?  He puts his head down, keeps working, and plays darn well when his number is called.  Yeah he was picked on yesterday, but I didn't think he was abysmal by any stretch.  Not only that, he snagged his first pick on a pass that he was supposed to intercept.  Let's not forget Tre had a few bumps and bruises his rookie year as well.  I anticipate nothing but great things ahead for number 24.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.