Jordan Phillips is the best DT on this team.

Pine Barrens Mafia

His level of play allowed the Bills to keep Oliver on the bench rather than risk aggravating his injured ankle.  That is a huge luxury.  This front 4, and our ability to keep rotating them to keep them fresh, is fun to watch. 

p.s. I just payed attention to the title.  He is not the best on the team, but he is damn good in this system. 

Edited by buffaloboyinATL
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, TheBrownBear said:

Holy hot take central today!  But I agree with the OP that Phillips looked great last night.  Every damn guy on the defense had their moments last night.  We are stacked.

The whole DL played great.  Phillips had a great game.  I'm dumbfounded as to why fans want to "rate" every player against another player.

• Like (+1) 2

I think we will see all of our DTs have great games where they look like the best DT on the team. This is what happens when you have so much quality along the DL. The Miller factor has a lot to do with this.

Edited by ddaryl

5 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I don't hate Ed. I just think he was WAY over-drafted.

This x1,000. Right from the very start he was compared to Donald. So from the very start it has been an over rated and over drafted take. 

that doesn’t mean he’s bad. He’s not. He is actually really good imo. But he’s not a top DT in the league. Middle of the pack at best. 

im also not a fan of resigning him to a huge contract and hope we don’t. At least for now. We will see how this season plays out but I’d much rather give him the 5th year option and if you really want you can franchise tag him for a year after that. I’d draft another DT this coming year and hope that the new guy learns quickly. Not really sure who that would be this coming draft. At least who will be there with the 32nd pick. 

• Dislike 1

6 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

It's not even close. This is what I wanted. Impact. Game changing plays. This is what we needed on the DL.

Welcome back Jordan. We missed you.

Jordan Phillips sometimes plays out of position requiring other players to cover for him.

I am sure coaching and front office talked to him about this but I think with his enthusiasm and wanting to play for a new contract he will repeat this.

5 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

Why did he suck in Miami and Arizona? He has always been better than good in a Bills uni.

They tried to make him into a run stuffing DT which he hasn't done well despite his size. He's a penetration style DT. And he's great at that. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

The whole DL played great.  Phillips had a great game.  I'm dumbfounded as to why fans want to "rate" every player against another player.

YES! The DL unit is a scary mix of guys who are coming into their prime, and are all capable of doing their job. It is synergies. No one guy has to do the heavy lifting, and everyone will benefit.

Daquan Jones had a hell of a game last night. He looked like everything the Bills wanted Star/ Butler to be. He was an anchor and gave up very little ground. He even got into the backfield. There was nowhere to run. Everyone abused Hogeboom. Epenessa looked possessed on some plays. This DL attacks and attacks and comes in waves. The mix of youth, size, skill sets is formidable.

Watch the Baldy breakdowns, there are numerous DL all over the place clogging lanes, getting pressure and gang hitting. It's really nasty.

There is an excellent mix of youth, and prime age. Our oldest guy (Von Miller) is a game wrecker who does not have to lift the whole unit, but does. It isn't Von Miller and a bunch of guys.

This may be the best mix on DL since the Williams/ Williams/ Dareus/ Hughes mix, but this line could be deeper, younger and more versatile.

I'm a huge Phillips fan and so happy he is back. For whatever reason he plays best for Frazier and McDermott. It's kizmut. Phillips is meant to be a McDermott Buffalo Bill. He was out of position in some move/ backside plays, but the other DL held their point of attack, and the LBs/S were free to clean up. The Rams could not take advantage. Phillips is very good, but has flaws to his game. That said he plays his best football in a Bills uniform, and I'm thrilled he is back.

If Jones/ Settle can hold the center, that allows Oliver and Phillips to attack the middle without fear. Add in Von Miller on the outside, Rousseau's size, Basham's knack for making plays and it gets really chaotic at the LOS. Even guys like Epenessa and Lawson are going to feast.

Yeah Phillips added juice, he still has flaws, but his strengths are going to be showcased again in this rotation.

DL is going to cause major problems this year, and it's great to see!

This Defense has the potential to be Super.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Oliver, Poyer, Edmunds and Singletary all played well last night.  I think we can lay a reasonable bet this will continue.

Have to start to add Phillips and dare I say Crowder into the "how many of these guys can be signed" list.

What a great problem for Beane to have!  The guys that don't make the cut will be signing some big contracts somewhere else.

2024 draft will have 3rd round comp picks for the Bills and none for the Pats.  It's just one more F U to BB.

I loved bringing Jordan back, but man this is short changing Oliver who was a beast last night too while in the game.  

Its not always about the player, its about the scheme and fit.  And for whatever reason, Jordan is a perfect fit in our D compared to how he fit with his other stops.  Glad he is here and hope he stays long after this season.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

33 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Team Game !!
 Someon/se will shine each game.

7 sacks from a 4 man and no blitzing  hell yes  and Jordan was a beast yessir to OP

Go Bills

Well the d-line is now deep and athletic and can really get tot the QB.  Add that to the fact that we mostly only rush the front 4 and plenty of those sacks become “coverage sacks”, because we have to devote little manpower to blitzing.  This line is gonna be a handful for most teams simply because everyone on it can put pressure and the average 5-man O-line is going to struggle to match up man to man across it with the multiple guys we have.  We also bring in fresh waves on the front 4.   It makes it so much more difficult. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

It's not even close. This is what I wanted. Impact. Game changing plays. This is what we needed on the DL.

Welcome back Jordan. We missed you.

Actually Ed Oliver is the best but I can see why you would overreact like a fan would.

Phillips is definitely awesome to have back.

Edited by TBBills
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, arcane said:

Phillips is a great pass rusher from DT but he's a huge liability in run defense. Oliver was one of two DTs to br top ten in the nfl in both pass rush and run stop win rates last year. The other guy was named Aaron something or other

OP pretends that this thread is about Phillips but we have all seen his posting history and we know it's not about Phillips at all 

I’ll give you that he’s a better pass rusher than run defender, but “huge liability” is way over the top. His strength is quickness. It allows him to slip run blockers and shoot gaps. He does get manhandled at times when he doesn’t shake the 1st guy. His position has teammates on each hip and a LB behind him. He looked great against both Thursday night. He also plays notably better when he has a great play early in games.

Jordan Phillips had a really nice game with 1.5 sacks and great energy.  I was glad that they brought him back.  The D line as a whole had a great game. 

However Phillips is not better than Oliver.  DTs take on double teams at times, hold the point of attack, clog the running lanes, and force the RB to bounce the play outside which allows someone else to make a tackle.  Oliver consistently does these things at a higher level than Phillips.

Phillips said Buffalo scheme “is the only one that allows big guy to rush passer”

suggesting to me that he’s allowed to take pass rush risk at Buffalo (read: system and players allow as there is backup around him to fly freely)

I liked him before. Sometimes you have to let a guy be himself

Edited by Since1981
  • Like (+1) 2

22 hours ago, aristocrat said:

He looks bigger than I remember him. 

Same!  He looks like a monster out there this year size wise with all the athleticism he always had.  On one of his big plays I swear I thought it was Jones and I was like what, thats Jordan?  He seems a lot bigger than I remember.

• Like (+1) 2

On 9/9/2022 at 10:17 AM, Big Turk said:

He was going to get overpaid by someone...Bills did the smart thing and get him back at a discount and allow him to pick up where he left off in the same scheme.  As impressive as Miler was last night, Phillips had 2 sacks and led the team in pressures with 6.

He signed with Arizona for 3 years $30MM, that's not overpaying for JP IMO.  Especially when you look at the guarantee number ($18.5MM) on that contract.  Buffalo should've matched that.  I agree with you on the other point, Phillips was just as much of the star on the DL Thursday.

• Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.