Bills cuts

Chandler#81

1 hour ago, Heavy Kevi said:

If we're going to do these mega threads, it should be done by someone who can update the OP.

Reading through 500+ replies for cuts here and there is crazy.

I know we want to keep the homepage less messy, but a new thread for each cut would still be more useful than this.

This is a Scottlaw B word about nothing and everybody B word about Scottlaw post. I love the Wall!

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Forgive me for asking, but in this 31 page long thread about Bills cuts, is there any way to find.................... the actual cuts?

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/platform/amp/2022/8/29/23326882/buffalo-bills-roster-cuts-tracker-2022

i don’t think it includes everything so far though 

this one might work better it at least has blacksheer on it 

https://thebuffalofanatics.com/buffalo-bills-cutdown-tracker-2022/?amp

Edited by Rc2catch
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Just think if Beane didn’t build such a great roster he would be able to keep Blackshear and Hodgins! What a tomato can of a GM.

The Hodgins stuff is out of control.  He is measly averaging under 9 yards per catch through 3 games...while leading team in targets and catches and facing backups and guys about ready to apply at Best Buy for holiday season work.  

I like him, root for him, but he hasn't done so much at WR on the field that he has made himself uncuttable.  He needs to contribute and be good on ST or he isn't making this team.  

Like like you said, this is a very good roster, it will not be easy to make this roster across the board.  

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

McDermott and Beane disagree.  We are fans watching what they do.  All of us have opinions that they disagree with.

I'm not a huge Sweeney fan but my hope now is he can improve his blocking with help from Kromer.

Josh is a Sweeney fan and I think that counts for something.

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

The Hodgins stuff is out of control.  He is measly averaging under 9 yards per catch through 3 games...while leading team in targets and catches and facing backups and guys about ready to apply at Best Buy for holiday season work.  

I like him, root for him, but he hasn't done so much at WR on the field that he has made himself uncuttable.  He needs to contribute and be good on ST or he isn't making this team.  

Like like you said, this is a very good roster, it will not be easy to make this roster across the board.  

Brandon Reilly says hello.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Forgive me for asking, but in this 31 page long thread about Bills cuts, is there any way to find.................... the actual cuts?

This may be up-thread

Also Blackshear not seen

He's already been confirmed as cut I believe.

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The Chiefs defense was most obviously their weakest link throughout most of the season… Mahomes sucked in the 2nd half of that game. 

By contrast, the Bills defense was #1 in the league last season and have continued to use a favorable amount of resources into it compared to their offense…. Specifically their defensive line.

They may have been #1, but they were not the best defense in the NFL.. That was more a byproduct of facing weak QB's disproportionately. 

They were more along the lines of a Top 10 Defense that lacked any gamechangers.  

This year, I'd be shocked if they are the #1 statistical defense, based on SOS.. but also shocked if they aren't one of, if not the, scariest defense in the NFL. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

This may be up-thread

Also Blackshear not seen

Buffalo Bills roster cuts

OL Alec Anderson

P Matt Araiza

WR Tavon Austin

RB Raheem Blackshear

DT C.J. Brewer

DL Brandin Bryant

OL Jacob Capra

DT Prince Emili

WR Tanner Gentry

CB Olaijah Griffin

P Matt Haack (signed with Colts)

CB Tim Harris

TE O.J. Howard

RB Duke Johnson

DE Daniel Joseph

OT Derek Kerstetter

LB Marquel Lee

DB Jordan Miller

OL Tanner Owen

WR Neil Pau'u

OG Jordan Simmons

DB Josh Thomas

TE Jalen Wydermyer (signed with Patriots)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

Mancz had had ankle problems for awhile now, including games lost at Houston & IR with the Jets.

They may be working on anything from an injury settlement to IR.

i don’t think they are allowed to cut him right now  when he’s injured?

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

No that is fair. But it was the reason the Chief game was at Arrowhead and we were not the #1 seed. Offense vs Pitt. Offense vs Jags. Win those two against two teams we are clearly better than and we are home throughout January. 

Yes, but if you can make an argument it was due to depth at WR or TE, let’s hear it.  The misfires on offense had more to do with limited weapons at RB and poor OL play, combined with outright stubbornness of Brian Daboll at times.  In my opinion, the Bills have addressed the most problematic areas, upgrading the OL, and upgrading the OL coaching significantly.  Cook addresses a very specific problem quite nicely.  I think the offense has more options than a year ago, and let’s face facts:  neither Beasley or Sanders are in the NFL at this point, so their loss is not exactly earth shattering.  Yes, it remains to be seen if they have done enough, but It is not reasonable to say they have failed to address issues on offense.  They have. 

I do do wish the Howard thing would have worked, but given his play since the injury, this result is not surprising.  

2 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/platform/amp/2022/8/29/23326882/buffalo-bills-roster-cuts-tracker-2022

i don’t think it includes everything so far though 

So we have so far from the Bills:

OL Jacob Capra

DE Daniel Joseph

DB Jordan Miller

OL Tanner Owen

WR Neil Pau’u

DB Josh Thomas

Then from reporters (who hear from agents or players) via your link:

TE OJ Howard

RB Duke Johnson

WR Tanner Gentry

OT Alec Anderson

OL Jacob Capra

OL Tanner Owen

DL Daniel Joseph

CB Jordan Miller

S Josh Thomas

That's 15, need 11 more:

RB Raheem Blackshear (Schefter)

DT Prince Emili (Talbot)

DT Brandin Bryant (Caplan)

WR Isaiah Hodgins (Buffalo Fanatics, Joe Miller -from player)

OT Luke Tenuta (reported on Buffalo Rumbings

That's 20, need 6 more:

DL Eli Ankou said to be working on injury settlement with Bills

That's 21, need 5 more to reach 53

---------------------

Hypothetical:

OL Greg Mancz (injury settlement?)

CB Tre White (PUP, back in 4 weeks)

QB Matt Barkley (vet signed to PS)

LB Andre Smith (suspended 6 games)

RB/ST Taiwan Jones might be cut temporarily

Place Stevenson on in-season IR eligible to return in 4 weeks

Resign Jones afterwards

Possibly place Doyle or Morris on in season IR, then sign punter

55 players were observed at practice, so a couple of the players observed at practice cant stay on the roster

Edited by Beck Water
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Just now, Beck Water said:

So we have so far from the Bills:

OL Jacob Capra

DE Daniel Joseph

DB Jordan Miller

OL Tanner Owen

WR Neil Pau’u

DB Josh Thomas

Then from reporters (who hear from agents or players) via your link:

TE OJ Howard

RB Duke Johnson

WR Tanner Gentry

WR Isaiah Hodgins

OT Alec Anderson

OL Jacob Capra

OL Tanner Owen

DL Daniel Joseph

CB Jordan Miller

S Josh Thomas

That's 16, need 10 more

Has Hodgins officially been cut? I've only seen that he wasn't seen at practice.

13 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

This may be up-thread

Also Blackshear not seen

He was cut 

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

Has Hodgins officially been cut? I've only seen that he wasn't seen at practice.

No. Trade in the works? Probably could get a 6th or 7th

Edited by YoloinOhio

10 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

The Chiefs defense was most obviously their weakest link throughout most of the season… Mahomes sucked in the 2nd half of that game. 

By contrast, the Bills defense was #1 in the league last season and have continued to use a favorable amount of resources into it compared to their offense…. Specifically their defensive line.

Bills have fielded the #1 offense in the AFC 2 years in a row 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Motorin' said:

I wonder what Naaman Roosevelt, Kwame Cavil and Avion Black are up to these days? 

It wasn’t long ago that people were obsessively outraged (on Christmas Eve!) that the Bills cut Kumerow. Now he’s nothing but a whipping boy, sad!

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Bills have fielded the #1 offense in the AFC 2 years in a row 

But we would be better with these fringe guys who would never see the field 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloFan68 said:

I know I'm in the minority, but I really like Isaiah Hodgins and was really hoping he makes the cut.  When we originally drafted him, I had him rated higher than G. Davis. Big boy with solid hands.

Go Bills!!!!!

I don't think you're in the minority.

A lot here like him, myself included.

His problem continues to be one that plagues a lot of depth WRs in the NFL: he doesn't play special teams.

It is CRITICAL that WR5-WR7 be able to contribute on special teams, and Hodgins really doesn't. Unless and until he can change that, he's going to have a problem sticking on NFL rosters.

Here's hoping they get him through to the practice squad.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

It wasn’t long ago that people were obsessively outraged (on Christmas Eve!) that the Bills cut Kumerow. Now he’s nothing but a whipping boy, sad!

Dropping that beautiful play action TD in NE was all it took! 

2 minutes ago, BuffaloFan68 said:

I know I'm in the minority, but I really like Isaiah Hodgins and was really hoping he makes the cut.  When we originally drafted him, I had him rated higher than G. Davis. Big boy with solid hands.

Go Bills!!!!!

Davis brings a physical presence, not only in the passing game but as a blocking WR as well. Hodgins? Not so much....

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

what's Christmas eve got to do with it?  He's not elite.  This is an elite team.  Character + elite ability.  nothing less unless necessary.

• Disagree 1

8 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Geez Alpha.  Some fans liked his play.  I think he has a chance to get to the PS and keep improving.

FTR, Kumerow (his competition) had 10 yards per catch against the same guys and he fumbled.

Keenum and Barkley were throwing not Josh.

It looks like Kumerow gets the nod and I hope he can have a better than 43% catch % if he is needed at WR again.

• Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Are you counting the space we need to add a punter ?

We will not add a punter till Wednesday and may sign 1-2 to the PS and use a call up instead of an active roster spot until they settle everything.

No need to rush to sign a punter.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Process said:

I know there is a reason for this but can't remember what it is. In this example why don't they just put him on IR today and than not have to cut the K?

If they put him on IR before the cut down deadline he's on IR all season, this way they can bring him back mid season.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Rochesterfan said:

We will not add a punter till Wednesday and may sign 1-2 to the PS and use a call up instead of an active roster spot until they settle everything.

No need to rush to sign a punter.

Exactly. If there's a punter out there they really want, they can work the deal now and sign the papers later.

9 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Are you counting the space we need to add a punter ?

Yes, started with 79 - 53 = cut 26

In reality, the situation is more complex as we may well cut a veteran or 2 so we can carry Stevenson and maybe Doyle or Morris onto the 53 man roster, then place them on in-season IR where they can return.

I also didn't account for Tre White who is currently on PUP and may well be added to PUP/reserve which is now the same as in-season IR except there's no need to play cut/re-sign games to get him there.

8 minutes ago, BuffaloFan68 said:

Go Bills!!!!!

6 minutes ago, Logic said:

I don't think you're in the minority.

A lot here like him, myself included.

His problem continues to be one that plagues a lot of depth WRs in the NFL: he doesn't play special teams.

It is CRITICAL that WR5-WR7 be able to contribute on special teams, and Hodgins really doesn't. Unless and until he can change that, he's going to have a problem sticking on NFL rosters.

Here's hoping they get him through to the practice squad.

It also plagues him that he has no footspeed and no ability to separate.

Every catch is a contested catch and that just is not worth the roster spot if he can not contribute elsewhere.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

And coaching staff… but your missing the point, they were in KC because their offense faltered for several games in the regular season… if that games in Buffalo I suspect the Bills win.

That point is moot, it was the defense that failed us not the offense, having home field is not a guarantee of a win. 

Just now, NickelCity said:

Keep Mancz and add Lindstrom.

Gotta drop another then on the OL. I would be for it either way. As I look at the league wide cuts his is the first name I seriously said yes I will take him. 

times have changed when in years past I could name 10 cuts that could be important players for the Bills that year. 

1 minute ago, Rochesterfan said:

It also plagues him that he has no footspeed and no ability to separate.

Every catch is a contested catch and that just is not worth the roster spot if he can not contribute elsewhere.

Right.  He has contested catches when going against the 2s and 3s.  Which means he has PD/incompletions against the 1s.

He's improving.  Last season he couldn't release off the line and wasn't physical enough.  More physical and much better release this season.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.