Bills cuts

Chandler#81

57 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Good OC's build their offense around the strength of the roster/players. 

I agree, but it is a 2-way street. Good GMs build their rosters at least in part so their OCs have the best chance at success. Getting Howard shows Beane wanted to upgrade TE2 in Dorsey's first year as OC.

Dorsey's preference for a heavy-use of 2 TE sets is well-documented. Do not get me wrong - I want to avoid taking the ball out of the hands of guys like McKenzie, Cook, and Shakir. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Rc2catch said:

Philly will ***** him off the practice squad like they did his brother Jack last year.

Im kidding they’re not brothers 

Jack didn't quite do enough in pre-season last year which really disappointed me because I had a 5th round grade on him. As a result we ended up losing him via the PS and when he did in limited action get on the field for Philly he looked good. That one still stings. 

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am as disappointed as you. I liked the Howard pick up as a low risk, high reward offensive piece and I am really disappointed it has failed. In terms of passing targets for Josh it is really Sanders and Beasley out, Crowder (low ceiling vet), Shakir (5th round rookie) and Cook (2nd round rookie receiving back) in. Have they done enough? Only time will tell but it is a legit question to ask. 

Somewhat disappointed about a Howard.  Was excited when we signed him, but less so after discussions here about him. Seemed to be a good player, but wasn’t as good as people thought.

Sanders was not a great addition last year.  Feel he took snaps from Davis who would have done just fine at WR2.  Give me Bease 2 years ago, feel McKenzie and Shakir will be good in the slot role.  Don’t see Crowder making the team, hasn’t done enough.

I feel they should be good at WR, having Josh as your QB makes everyone else that much better.  Like you said, only time will tell.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

See I don't think they did enough last year. The same tone in which I have questioned the weaponry this year I was questioning the offensive line last year coming off it getting railroaded in the AFCCG. The answer was they hadn't done enough last year. Because while they might still have gone the whole way with a bit more luck had their OL played just a fraction better before week 12 or 13 the Bills would have been the #1 seed. So I get the luck point, I get the other variables point but ultimately their OL struggles last year were not totally unpredictable. I don't think that the line or the offensive weapon depth is where I'd want it for a team making a run. If we get some luck and our starters stay healthy it might not matter. Then we will have "done enough", so I do take your point. But I think it remains a legitimate question. Ultimately I would say each year only one team ends up having done enough. That's the game we're in. 

Jaquiski Tartt dropped the easiest potential interception he’s ever had.  If he didn’t commit such a critical blunder, the Rams wouldn’t have “done enough”….. 

I think the bengals, chiefs, bills, rams and niners did enough last year.  Maybe more.  

Our season ended on a coin flip.  Luck.  

The chiefs season ended because their transcendent elite QB choked.  

niners season ended because tartt dropped an easy interception.

the Bengals season ended because Joe burrow missed a wide open Jamar chase.  

the packers season ended because of a snowstorm and a blocked punt.  

lots of variables that have nothing to do with a roster build can change the answer of which team “did enough”.  If tartt makes the catch, your answer would be the rams “didn’t do enough”.  But they did. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Knows the offense, close with the Franchise QB, and plays special teams.   Not just a dried up former 1st round pick that people think should be good but isnt.

Knowing the offence is one thing, but being able to help towards it is another. We may still relegate him to PS.

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

I don't get the hand-wringing over Howard's cap hit.  That was a sunk cost, right?  Not a reason to keep a guy around if the coaches felt like Morris was a better option.

Personally, it is more to do with the signing than the release.

The idea of Howard as a legit TE2 was exciting for the offense's versatility, but I wish Beane would not have invested so much guaranteed money in the first place. $3.19 million ain't nothing.

At the same time, if Howard did not earn his spot, then I also support Beane deciding to part ways to make the roster as strong as possible. 

Beane has been very good at acknowledging his own mistakes and in so doing mitigating damages by not spending too long waiting on a player to suddenly develop and getting picks back for guys who would otherwise be released.

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Well they don't let you spread the $5.2 mil over 3 seasons, so is still a $5.2 hit this year.  Thought Howard was a $2.6 mil hit.  Either way it's still less and $3 mil is not a brutal cap hit.  It might look bad as he never played, but not the first time i nthe NFL that has happened and often for larger cap hits.

Well then we just need to agree to disagree I guess :) I find spreading irrelevant, total cap hit matters. Star $5.2M, Howard 3.2M. Star has more, but Howard is relatively much worse, since he wasn't even here. That is just wasted money.

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Jaquiski Tartt dropped the easiest potential interception he’s ever had.  If he didn’t commit such a critical blunder, the Rams wouldn’t have “done enough”….. 

I think the bengals, chiefs, bills, rams and niners did enough last year.  Maybe more.  

The chiefs season ended because their transcendent elite QB choked.  

niners season ended because tartt dropped an easy interception.

the Bengals season ended because Joe burrow missed a wide open Jamar chase.  

the packers season ended because of a snowstorm and a blocked punt.  

lots of variables that have nothing to do with a roster build can change the answer of which team “did enough”.  If tartt makes the catch, your answer would be the rams “didn’t do enough”.  But they did. 

I agree. But ifs and buts don't butter parsnips. I get that there are other variables, I don't deny that. But you can't deny some of their roster weaknesses showed up. And it is a game of chicken... because you can't be perfect anywhere. But the Rams found a way. They did enough. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

This past week has been one of the worst of Beane's GM reign. And I 100% bet he would tell you that himself in private. Had to trade a guy he invested a 2nd rounder and a trade up in for a 5th, with him publicly admitting he got the character and talent evaluation wrong. Had to cut a drafted punter after it transpired there was an outstanding off field incident that the Bills were not aware of (not blaming him, just setting out the facts) and then he has to cut a guy he gave a 1 year contract and kicked the cap can down the road with a dummy year for this past March, his biggest offseason offensive weapon acquisition because he couldn't beat out a 2nd year UDFA and Tommy freaking Sweeney. 

I am not putting Beane on the hotseat or anything ridiculous like that but this has been one of his worst weeks and he would tell you that himself. One of the things I like the most about Beane is when he screws up he very publicly owns it. He owns his mistakes while people on here defend them. 

And those incidents you lay out still do not trump what appears to be an awesome draft and the other FA acquisitions made this offseason.  You want to say he had a bad week, fine -- in the grand scheme of things it's a blip.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, eball said:

And those incidents you lay out still do not trump what appears to be an awesome draft and the other FA acquisitions made this offseason.  You want to say he had a bad week, fine -- in the grand scheme of things it's a blip.

I'd hold fire on the other stuff all being awesome until we have played some games that matter. Not saying I don't think there were some good moves, I do, but we need to let it play out. What it doesn't trump is a very impressive overall resume as the Bills GM. But in terms of "taking lots of Ls recently" it has been a bad week. No question about it. 

Just now, MAJBobby said:

Howard had a chance to make this roster as TE2. Never took it. Instead got beaten out on the field from Morris and Sweeney. 

I'd say he had an open goal to be TE2. And like Diana Ross at the opening ceremony to World Cup '94, he missed. At least she had footwear related excuses. 

57 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am as disappointed as you. I liked the Howard pick up as a low risk, high reward offensive piece and I am really disappointed it has failed. In terms of passing targets for Josh it is really Sanders and Beasley out, Crowder (low ceiling vet), Shakir (5th round rookie) and Cook (2nd round rookie receiving back) in. Have they done enough? Only time will tell but it is a legit question to ask. 

They could always bring someone in if they feel the need to. In fact, I see the Bills going all in this season. I believe we could see another veteran WR and CB brought in.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Davis explode this season (would any of us be shocked?) and add Diggs, Knox, Shakir, Hodgins, Crowder, Cook and Motor in...to me it appears the Bills offense if loaded for bear.

I have no worries about the offense with the exception of significant injuries happening.

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, NewEra said:

*our season ended because we were flat in the first half and our defense couldn’t make a play. 

Who won the coin flip in the AFC Championship?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.