Extend Po Now - Protect the Culture

MarlinTheMagician

51 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

He is not under contract for next year, and he is not holding out this year.  Just sign him for next season and give him some security. 

This is you and other fans thinking that you are part of the roster.

The reality:    

Most of the players on the team are either not under contract for next year or on an unguaranteed deal which provides zero "security".

Your concept is totally misguided.

Edited by BADOLBILZ

52 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

He is not under contract for next year, and he is not holding out this year.  Just sign him for next season and give him some security. 

Your not thinking about this correctly. Giving Poyer 1 year next season is not security. He's likely got one more bite at the apple. He can play out this year then look for a 2-3 year deal. If he got a 1 year extension, that's unlikely to happen in 2024. 

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Where did he say he wanted a huge raise?  

i think he’d re up for 11-12 in gtd 2023 salary.  If he thinks he’s getting multiple years gtd at his age, he’s likely gotten some bad advice.  

He said so when he hired Drew Rosenhaus. Also his wife said he wasn’t taking any more team friendly deals so it’s inferred.

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

AirBNB, don’t forget Oliver if we’re talking over two years, but whole heartedly agree with you’re two and Oliver.  I’m confident with these new DTs and Von, and year 2 with Rousseau, we are going to see a great year for Oliver.

If you're talking 2 years out Gabe Davis could be a big decision.  Jones and Settle also are up.

Hell, Bass will cost $5M per.

Looking forward is not a big priority for most of this board but I'm sure Beane and his boys consider it all the time.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

If you're talking 2 years out Gabe Davis could be a big decision.  Jones and Settle also are up.

Hell, Bass will cost $5M per.

Looking forward is not a big priority for most of this board but I'm sure Beane and his boys consider it all the time.

Yep CB, I think they have already.  They have an idea of the cap explosion.  We’ll see what happens and the ones we discussed will most likely find places elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Yep CB, I think they have already.  They have an idea of the cap explosion.  We’ll see what happens and the ones we discussed will most likely find places elsewhere.

No doubt GMs have a better idea than any of us.  I have speculated that none of the guys talked about lately will get an extension 

this year.  I think Beane is going to let this year play out and see where the cap is going and move on from there.

If he signs one of them the rest will say "what about me"?  This way he sits back and watches how everyone plays this year.

2 hours ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

Think it's time to move on, seems like Poyer wants to max his last contract out. More power to him, he has to do what's right for his family.

Yea I don't begrudge poyer a last payday but it may mean he has to go to another team.  Theres a set value that the Bills will pay and if he feels disrespected he'll see what he's offered in fa.  If he get no substantially higher offers then he will need to choose. Obviously if a team does sign him to a big offer  good for him and hopefully with his sb ring already earned this season.

Edited by AuntieEm
  • Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Beast said:

No. Draft and develop there. Worry about Ed Oliver, Knox and Edmunds. Not in that specific order but they come first.

seems like the right order to me.  Oliver and Knox, or Knox and Oliver, then Edmunds.  I can't see paying 2 LBs big money.  Only one of Edmunds/Milano remain after this season.  

42 minutes ago, boater said:

His wife, Rachel Bush (recommend Googling her) said it directly.

Poyer's actions, hiring Drew Rosenhaus as his agent, affirm it.

I guess I’ll just have to take your word for it.  I googled her and didn’t really see her say he wants a huge raise.  He wants to get paid more and end his career as a Bills.  

Poyers actions haven’t affirmed that he wants a “huge raise” imo. Rosenhaus hiring is the only telling action, and what 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I guess I’ll just have to take your word for it.  I googled her and didn’t really see her say he wants a huge raise.  He wants to get paid more and end his career as a Bills.  

Poyers actions haven’t affirmed that he wants a “huge raise” imo. Rosenhaus hiring is the only telling action, and what 

and even Rosenhaus has sort of mellowed over the years. I sure he’s still a tough advocate for all his players, but he doesn’t really do any of those media stunts he used to.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

seems like the right order to me.  Oliver and Knox, or Knox and Oliver, then Edmunds.  I can't see paying 2 LBs big money.  Only one of Edmunds/Milano remain after this season.  

Disagree.

They paid two LBs big money when they were in Carolina with a DC who has now become our head coach. They have no problem with that kind of valuing of the position.

IMO he's got it right, that Oliver, Knox and Edmunds will be the priorities. But I think they'd love to find a way to keep Poyer if possible. Not sure it will be.

You protect the culture by being honest and authentic in your choices as a gm. You protect the culture by constantly increasing the competition. Create an honest merit based environment and the rest falls into place... Poyer will be 32 next year and the bills have two young safeties in the pipeline. Anything beyond a 1 yr extension and some guarantees is a no go 

19 hours ago, SCBills said:

Love Poyer as a person and player, but tough decisions need to be made with the Allen contract hitting. 

Poyer is one of them.  He walks after the season. 

Singletary is another.  He walks after the season. 

Also, I think one of Edmunds and Milano remains.  Either Edmunds walks or Milano is traded.  

Hopefully no hard feelings.  We simply can’t pay big money to a Safety, Running Back and both Linebackers. 

Hamlin, Benford and Jaquan Johnson (if re-signed) or a draft pick compete for the S spot opposite Hyde. 

Moss, Cook and a draft pick or low level FA take over at RB.  Maybe Blackshear if he can stay stashed on our PS this year. 

Bernard bumps up to starter and/or we draft a linebacker. 

At least that’s my opinion.. 

yep, this is the final year for several starters.  lets go have a great season

19 hours ago, SCBills said:

Love Poyer as a person and player, but tough decisions need to be made with the Allen contract hitting. 

Poyer is one of them.  He walks after the season. 

Singletary is another.  He walks after the season. 

Also, I think one of Edmunds and Milano remains.  Either Edmunds walks or Milano is traded.  

Hopefully no hard feelings.  We simply can’t pay big money to a Safety, Running Back and both Linebackers. 

Hamlin, Benford and Jaquan Johnson (if re-signed) or a draft pick compete for the S spot opposite Hyde. 

Moss, Cook and a draft pick or low level FA take over at RB.  Maybe Blackshear if he can stay stashed on our PS this year. 

Bernard bumps up to starter and/or we draft a linebacker. 

At least that’s my opinion.. 

Meanwhile guys like Jake Kumerow and Taiwan Jones have jobs with the Bills for life.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

20 hours ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

Having cleared cap space with the Schnowman, it is time to extend Po.  From what I can tell he has universal respect in the locker room and he is a warrior.  Extending Po would give the team a boost and help purge the Ariaza situation.  I believe it would be a boost for the locker room and the fan base.  Not saying be crazy, but I am sure he wants to get something done and finish what he has started here.  Could be a real win-win.

Can't you respectfully use his full name? Who calls him "Po"? 

4 minutes ago, Georgie said:

no one calls him Po and in no way would the team have to extend him right now to “ fix the culture.” The OP is, well, “uninformed.” That’s the most polite way to put it. But this is the type of knee-jerk BS we see around here

1 hour ago, JoPoy88 said:

no one calls him Po and in no way would the team have to extend him right now to “ fix the culture.” The OP is, well, “uninformed.” That’s the most polite way to put it. But this is the type of knee-jerk BS we see around here

Literally Bills players do. 

Why don’t you just go be wrong somewhere else if you can’t handle the “BS” here lmao

"Po has been playing lights out for us," Hyde told reporters.

Edited by FireChans

3 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Back on the field!

Doesn't sound like any contract extension this season.

I've been praising Beane for not signing any of the big-name guys until after this season.

Too many variables and everything will look a little clearer next March.

18 hours ago, NewEra said:

From https://www.outkick.com/nfl-wife-rachel-bush-fires-off-more-tweets-at-bills-over-minkah-fitzpatrick-extension-news/

“Those that work hard day in and out, and earn the status of all pro, deserved to be respected and rewarded for that.”

Poyer is on record stating he wants an extension that will keep in Buffalo to end his career. Back in April, Bush indicated that her husband had been playing on team-friendly deals and now it’s time to pay up.

She deleted the most damning tweet: https://twitter.com/omiester/status/1537146939245985792

On 8/28/2022 at 11:58 AM, NewEra said:

Where did he say he wanted a huge raise?  

i think he’d re up for 11-12 in gtd 2023 salary.  If he thinks he’s getting multiple years gtd at his age, he’s likely gotten some bad advice.  

I think we could get him around that $10M/yr figure as well. The problem is, is that the best place to spend $10M? We have a lot of guys coming due for new contracts, and if that $10M could go to someone in their 20s instead of the wrong side of 30, I'd probably spend it there.

To OP's point, I dont think extending him or not has anything to do with "culture". And I'm a big culture guy.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, boater said:

You’re entitled to view her comments as you like.  I didn’t see anything that said they’re expecting or want a “huge raise”.  

they want to be rewarded.  Guaranteed money beyond 2022 is a reward.  I’m thinking a bump up to 11m-12M could be in order.  We aren’t going to pay him more than that…..if we pay him at all.  

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I think we could get him around that $10M/yr figure as well. The problem is, is that the best place to spend $10M? We have a lot of guys coming due for new contracts, and if that $10M could go to someone in their 20s instead of the wrong side of 30, I'd probably spend it there.

To OP's point, I dont think extending him or not has anything to do with "culture". And I'm a big culture guy.

Tough call.  There’s a reason we had the #1 ranked D last year.  It wasn’t because we had a great DL, we didn’t.  It wasn’t because we had great LBs. We didn’t, but they were pretty good though.  It wasn’t because we had great corners.  We didn’t.  Our safeties led our D to its #1 ranking imo and Poyer was stellar the majority of the year.  

edit:  dunno if they extend him either, as you said, there are younger players that need to be resigned, but I think Poyer is worthy of another 10-12M season with the bills after this year  

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1

On 8/28/2022 at 11:55 AM, MarlinTheMagician said:

Didn't say 

Didn't say give him a "huge" raise.  There should be a middle ground that makes Poyer happy, secures his services beyond this year and provides a positive boost for the room.  Takes a potential distraction and makes it a win.  No need to compromise our future to extend him a year and give him a raise for 2022.

Except maybe Poyer does want a HUGE raise. Maybe there is no middle ground. And maybe he doesn’t want just a year extension. 

9 hours ago, Georgie said:

Teammates have done so, on camera (Hyde, Tre White, Taron Johnson etc). 

I personally feel like locker room nicknames are for locker room teammates, but they do cross out of the locker room sometimes ('lil Dirty, "Rick" Bates)

32 minutes ago, mrags said:

Except maybe Poyer does want a HUGE raise. Maybe there is no middle ground. And maybe he doesn’t want just a year extension. 

Poyer absolutely wants a huge raise and a multi-year extension.  Rosenhaus explictly said he was seeking a new contract to "retire as a Bill".  He feels he's one of the top safeties in the league, and he wants to be paid as such.

9 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

no one calls him Po

His teammates do

Edited by Beck Water

2 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Nothing against Poyer but I'm good with Hyde and Jaquan Johnson going forward.

Mmm. 

Have you seen how Dawson Knox flattened Jaquan and ran over him to get open for a TD, I think it was in the "Return of the Blue and Red" scrimmage?  If that was Poyer, Knox would still be trying to get open.

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Mmm. 

Have you seen how Dawson Knox flattened Jaquan and ran over him to get open for a TD, I think it was in the "Return of the Blue and Red" scrimmage?  If that was Poyer, Knox would still be trying to get open.

In light of this information, I fully anticipate Jaquan Johnson's release tomorrow.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 8/28/2022 at 11:16 AM, Sargent Hulka said:

Disagree, Poyer and Hyde were on the field during those "13 seconds", we're they not? They're both getting by on reputation at this point. I'd rather draft a big hitting, Leonard Smith, Steve Atwater type safety that opposing receivers have to think about. 

If that's the case fire the whole defense, besides maybe what 4? Von, Elam, and the DL we added. 

Though I do agree, don't overpay an aging safety to "send a message". If he plays lights out again this year, work out a 2 year deal or something. If not, draft someone.

All players know you are only as good as your last play, none of them are shocked to hear it, they live by it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2022 at 11:41 AM, MarlinTheMagician said:

Having cleared cap space with the Schnowman, it is time to extend Po.  From what I can tell he has universal respect in the locker room and he is a warrior.  Extending Po would give the team a boost and help purge the Ariaza situation.  I believe it would be a boost for the locker room and the fan base.  Not saying be crazy, but I am sure he wants to get something done and finish what he has started here.  Could be a real win-win.

@MarlinTheMagician You were spot on with your prediction, great job! It turned out that Dawson Knox, especially right now, will provide an even bigger boost than Poyer would have.  Seriously, that was a great call by you, and you were right.  

• Haha (+1) 2

On 8/28/2022 at 1:19 PM, machine gun kelly said:

You just gave me nightmares of when my three were babies.  Bla bla bla goes through the door.  Ugghh.  At least Barbie was kind of cute.  I was much happier when the boys got into Annoying Orange, SpongeBob, and Family Guy.

Im just hopeful my kids when they have kids have to endure the same Sadist punishment.  Man, I love my kids.

That Teletubbie bunker looks like it should have been next to the Prisoner's Village.

image.thumb.jpeg.fc12ae20029a4433f60afef1c7f7eabb.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.