Could OJ Howard be on the trade block?

Inigo Montoya

30 minutes ago, 947 said:

I think we need Howard. Not for 2 TE sets, but for if Knox misses games. Knox plays like a madman and gets banged up a lot. We already saw that Sweeney is not a viable option as the only TE. Morris is an undrafted rookie, he seems like a good player but isn't ready for that role yet on team with super bowl hopes. We knew all along that Howard isn't the guy he was prior to the achilles injury, but he's the only TE on the roster who can be a weapon in the pass game if Knox gets hurt.

Morris is my sleeper pick to make roster.  The Bills really like him.  And they aren't playing him.  Either hes making roster, or they are trying to sneak him on practice squad.  Sweeney has made some plays, is well respected by teammates, and definitely has a shot at making team.  Both those factors, OJ will not be on Bills final roster IMO- albeit by trade or cut down day

Edited by Pete
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, ddaryl said:

Howard was a positive yesterday....  We're definitely keeping him because option 3 and 4 don't come anywhere's close to surplanting him..  

TE will be a priority... again...  next spring IMO

A agree with you completely.  Bills keep 2 TEs on the roster and Morris is the priority TE on PS.  Where Sweeney ends up is anyone's guess.

It would not surprise me for the Bills to use a late Day2 pick on a TE next draft.  Early Day 3 at the latest.

Howard has been a disappointment. 

Whatever athleticism he possessed in college seems to be long gone.

At this point, I’m not sure he offers any more than Quintin Morris, and at least Morris’ arrow is pointing up and he plays special teams.

Still, without a trade, Howard might make the roster anyway…UNLESS the Bills are willing to eat $2mil.

6 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

I say no,  other teams could of signed him during free agency.  Why would they give up draft capital now if they were that interested?  Very rare to do sign a free agents and then trade them that same year.

I agree and I don't see much quality pass catching depth behind Knox

Think Sweeney and Morris are surprising a bit an Howard to in a negative direction.

Article also mentioned how Giants TE group is very weak.

6 hours ago, TBBills said:

For what an 8th round pick? Who would take a guy that has never returned to his old self after his injury... especially with a contract.

They got a 6th rounder for Bodine!

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, ganesh said:

I think they need O.J. Howard.  Putting two TEs on the field will create mismatch for this offense.   I don't think Sweeney or Morris is that 2nd TE.

He has size that we lack for the end zone, he's more of a blocker all things considered. I think he's the 2nd best TE on the roster and sticks.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Pete said:

Morris is my sleeper pick to make roster.  The Bills really like him.  And they aren't playing him.  Either hes making roster, or they are trying to sneak him on practice squad.  Sweeney has made some plays, is well respected by teammates, and definitely has a shot at making team.  Both those factors, OJ will not be on Bills final roster IMO- albeit by trade or cut down day

I don’t feel the Bills can afford to take the cap hit by cutting Howard

6 hours ago, Pete said:

Howard, Hauck, Duke, Lawson all on trade block IMO.  GMen- what are you offering?  Broncos need a punter too.  Send us those 6th round draft picks!

I suspect the Bills prefer both Sweeney and Morris over OJ

Sweeney rarely got dressed last season and hasn't shown a thing this preseason, he's as good as gone or maybe he makes the PS.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/21/2022 at 7:18 AM, Inigo Montoya said:

Reading an article in The Athletic by Joe Buscaglia today and it mentioned OJ Howard;

"Once Allen had adjourned to the sidelines, Howard’s playing time began against the Broncos. Howard, Morris and Sweeney continued to rotate in at tight end, but Howard played more snaps than any of them. Howard took 34 offensive snaps (56 percent) by my unofficial count. He took advantage of a red zone opportunity by bringing in a touchdown at the end of the half. But you have to wonder if the extended time for Howard was the Bills putting their best foot forward to showcase the tight end for a potential trade."

https://theathletic.com/3524600/2022/08/20/observations-bills-win-broncos/

With Quentin Morris having a strong camp and roster spots being at a premium, moving Howard before the season starts opens up a spot for a young player that the Bills would probably lose trying to place on the practice squad like Spector, Blackshear, Brandin Bryant, or Isaiah Hodgins.  Trading Howard would also take about $2 million off the books this year.

Spector in particular might be worth locking up on the 53 man roster.   Edmonds, Matakevich, and Andre Smith are all UFAs after this season and Tyrel Dodson will be a RFA.  Will Beane really want to let Spector walk when he has flashed all camp and preseason?  It becomes a lot easier to use a roster spot and keep an extra LB or one of the other guys listed above if they trade Howard.  Beane's roster is deep and players he cuts this year are going to end up playing on other teams.  I'm sure he would rather trade than cut and get some value in return.  

Last season, we only carried 2 TE (3 if you count Gilliam).  I think it's pretty likely that Dorsey wants 3 on the roster.  So if they do try to trade Howard, it might not be to keep another DL or LB, but to keep a different TE.

The question with Spector and Blackshear is "how are they doing on ST?", BUT, I do think we at TBD perennially over-estimate the interest of other teams in the bottom of our roster.  Last season we couldn't manage a competent run game in the regular season much of the time, and when we did, it involved Josh Allen.  So I'm not so clear that other teams are as fascinated by our RB depth as we think they are.

On 8/21/2022 at 5:38 AM, DCbillsfan said:

I think Howard stays.  He's a good blocking TE and a red zone threat.  Morris has looked good.  Sweeney is a JAG.

OJH has the ability to be the best TE2 we've had in a decade.  I know that's not saying much but at least now we have 2 viable TE targets in the redzone. 

• Agree 1

Despite not having the best camp/preseason so far I'd still be inclined to keep Howard over Sweeney if that's what's on the table.

But if it's been even between him and Sweeney you get the sense they will still with the latter if anything because he's one of Beane's draft picks.

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

OJH has the ability to be the best TE2 we've had in a decade.  I know that's not saying much but at least now we have 2 viable TE targets in the redzone. 

On One Bills Live today they had Greg Cosell in who analyzed the tape of the Bronco game.  He said that Howard was excellent in the blocking game in addition to his TD catch.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Why on earth would they want to get rid of Howard before seeing a meaningful snap? He can’t possibly be that bad in camp. Coming off that injury is no joke so maybe he’s not going full speed yet or he’s hesitant. I can’t see any reason to get rid of him at this point though. Especially without someone proven to take his spot. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Would like OJH to stick.

Feel we need a true TE2 to help block in the running game, provide protection for the QB, work in a spread formation, block and go for a pass, etc.  

Not sure we have been able to sell the 2 TE set in years.  It’s a good base for a diverse set of pass and run plays; keep the defense guessing.  Something we haven’t been able to do for some time.

• Like (+1) 1

I feel moving on from him would be in the best interest for the team & it's future . Beans & company do such a great job in their drafting & FA that to keep a younger player that has a higher upside for less money seems to be the way to go .

The Bills TE room has plenty of talent even with out Howard & if Beane can get a draft pick of r him & free up some cap i'd say go for it because the others in the room can do as good i feel & be more cost effective & maybe even a bit more hungry to prove them selves .

• Disagree 4
  • Dislike 2

16 hours ago, jkeerie said:

On One Bills Live today they had Greg Cosell in who analyzed the tape of the Bronco game.  He said that Howard was excellent in the blocking game in addition to his TD catch.

I just don't get this confused love for Sweeney or Morris? They're nothing special other than Jags. Let Howard play out his 1 yr contract and see if he can slip into the endzone a few times. If someone is willing to give us a 4th then maybe?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Definitely biased because I thought he was going to be great in the nfl but I’d rather take a chance on him getting to 75% of the player he was in college than moving him for like a 7th rounder. Potential doesn’t mean anything in the nfl but he is the most physically talented number 2 TE in the nfl. Plus, he seems like a great dude to have in the lockerroom. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I just don't get this confused love for Sweeney or Morris? They're nothing special other than Jags. Let Howard play out his 1 yr contract and see if he can slip into the endzone a few times. If someone is willing to give us a 4th then maybe?

I like Morris quite a bit but 100% in Sweeney. They are both JAGs really. But Morris might actually have some upside. Sweeney will never be anything more than JAG. The terrible thing is, up until a few years ago, he’d be a guy that we would be excited about as a starter. 

Of players that may get traded, Howard is, imo, among the least likely to be traded, in which he is better than who he is competing against for the position. But hey, what do I know, it’s not like I had lunch with Beane and McDermott and they asked my opinion, 😁

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I dunno about "confused love" for Sweeney and Morris.

I think many of us were hoping that OJ Howard would be a clear upgrade from Sweeney or Morris. 

And by all reports, that has not been the case in training camp. 

28 minutes ago, mrags said:

I like Morris quite a bit but 100% in Sweeney. They are both JAGs really. But Morris might actually have some upside. Sweeney will never be anything more than JAG. The terrible thing is, up until a few years ago, he’d be a guy that we would be excited about as a starter. 

I share your assessment about Sweeney.  I had hopes for him last season and he squibbed, and nothing he's done during the open part of training camp showed different.  I think he's a guy who can get things done against the #2s and #3s of the NFL, but comes up small when the Bills need him most against top players. 

The Bills moved on from Lee Smith in the hopes Sweeney was ready to take on some of his blocking role, but that worked so well the Bills wound up filling that role last season by bringing in Tommy Doyle or Ryan Bates.

I like what I've seen of Morris, but I believe he's a converted WR.  He's 2"-4" shorter than the other TE.  The Bills have him listed at 252, but I dunno.  So the question is again with Morris is, can he block in line, and can he block in space?  I don't think it's a size thing so much as a brain thing.  Does he have the mindset for it?

27 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Of players that may get traded, Howard is, imo, among the least likely to be traded, in which he is better than who he is competing against for the position. But hey, what do I know, it’s not like I had lunch with Beane and McDermott and they asked my opinion, 😁

The thing is, if he's better than Morris and Sweeney, why are they starting with the 1's while Howard runs with the 2's and 3's?  Why are we hearing about plays Sweeney and Morris made in training camp/practice but not Howard?  When asked about him, the Bills beat reporters say "nothing to report"

That said, he may be a better blocker - I'm not sure the beat reporters pay attention to that so much, so ....

8 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I share your assessment about Sweeney.  I had hopes for him last season and he squibbed, and nothing he's done during the open part of training camp showed different.  I think he's a guy who can get things done against the #2s and #3s of the NFL, but comes up small when the Bills need him most against top players. 

The Bills moved on from Lee Smith in the hopes Sweeney was ready to take on some of his blocking role, but that worked so well the Bills wound up filling that role last season by bringing in Tommy Doyle or Ryan Bates.

I like what I've seen of Morris, but I believe he's a converted WR.  He's 2"-4" shorter than the other TE.  The Bills have him listed at 252, but I dunno.  So the question is again with Morris is, can he block in line, and can he block in space?  I don't think it's a size thing so much as a brain thing.  Does he have the mindset for it?

The thing is, if he's better than Morris and Sweeney, why are they starting with the 1's while Howard runs with the 2's and 3's?  Why are we hearing about plays Sweeney and Morris made in training camp/practice but not Howard?  When asked about him, the Bills beat reporters say "nothing to report"

That said, he may be a better blocker - I'm not sure the beat reporters pay attention to that so much, so ....

It comes down to two things 1) three million in total dead money, vs 2) can either Morris or Sweeney perform better overall than Howard, that’s the question, Sweeney has been mediocre at best, and Morris can’t get off the practice squad, so ask yourself the question , ‘what would you do” if it was your decision…,

Go Bills!!!

Howard can likely make more impact by only being on the field in the redzone than Sweeney will make all season.  I'd keep Morris if we want a 3rd TE and look to trade Sweeney to the Giants. Morris looks good blocking and may be underrated as a pass catcher 

Edited by Warriorspikes51

34 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Yeah I had high hopes for Sweeney also. Unfortunately it hasn’t worked out. Some setbacks for him didn’t help. 

id take my chances with having an actual OL out there as an eligible receiver over having Sweeney at this point also. 

15 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Howard can likely make more impact by only being on the field in the redzone than Sweeney will make all season.  I'd keep Morris if we want a 3rd TE and look to trade Sweeney to the Giants. Morris looks good blocking and may be underrated as a pass catcher 

This x1,000,000. He will likely draw coverage and if he doesn’t, I like the idea of having a tall, go up and get it guy who is by far the tallest pass catcher in the field. 

id feel more comfortable with keeping Knox and Howard and having Gilliam as the 3rd man on game days. He also plays FB and is a special teamer as well. Someone that actually gets use out of multiple positions. He will dress almost every single game. 

you can probably stash at least one of Sweeney and Morris on the PS. 

21 hours ago, mrags said:

Yeah I had high hopes for Sweeney also. Unfortunately it hasn’t worked out. Some setbacks for him didn’t help.

In some ways it's kinda like this is year 2 for him but, it's actually year 4

I could just be jaded because I'd really really like to see the Bills upgrade at TE, but I just don't think we did.  Maybe I'm too negative about Howard because I hoped he'd be That Guy.

id feel more comfortable with keeping Knox and Howard and having Gilliam as the 3rd man on game days. He also plays FB and is a special teamer as well. Someone that actually gets use out of multiple positions. He will dress almost every single game. 

Gilliam will most definitely dress every single game he's not on injury report.  He did last year (16/17 games). 

you can probably stash at least one of Sweeney and Morris on the PS. 

I'm thinking Morris would be an easy PS stash.  I don't think we'd have teams lining up to grab Sweeney, but I think the rules are more restrictive again about how many experienced players can be stashed.  PS rules still make my head hurt, but I think Sweeney counts as 2 accrued seasons for PS purposes.

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

In some ways it's kinda like this is year 2 for him but, it's actually year 4

I could just be jaded because I'd really really like to see the Bills upgrade at TE, but I just don't think we did.  Maybe I'm too negative about Howard because I hoped he'd be That Guy.

I've already chalked it up as a priority heading into the offseason next year

But I think Howard is staying because Sweeney hasn't shown much, Morris can be stashed on the PS and hopefully he can do what Sweeney couldn't, get better

If they want to go with Sweeney and Morris if they can trade Howard it's less about what they get back than it is clearing $2M off the salary cap (or something like that) which would be dead money if they cut him.  That additional money can be used to sign a street FA, make a mid-season trade for a more expensive veteran, or just rolled into next year when they need to resign several key guys. 

3 hours ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

If they want to go with Sweeney and Morris if they can trade Howard it's less about what they get back than it is clearing $2M off the salary cap (or something like that) which would be dead money if they cut him.  That additional money can be used to sign a street FA, make a mid-season trade for a more expensive veteran, or just rolled into next year when they need to resign several key guys. 

Just a note that if they trade Howard and his $1.95M salary, but keep Sweeney on the roster, he adds $0.895M so the net gain is only ~$1M

Edit: I missed that Howard's $.255M roster bonus is a per-game, so it's actually $2.25M savings on a trade, less whatever salary the player who replaces him carries.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

I don't think you could get anything for him. Health may be the issue, not scheme/fit/etc. 

1 hour ago, frostbitmic said:

If they trade Howard and Knox gets hurt, who do you start at TE or do you just forget about that part of your offense ?

Sweeney

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.