I think Greg Rousseau becomes an elite pass rusher in 2022

streetkings01

If Groot lives up to expectations and develops into any of these comps we have an all pro DE on  our hands. If Von continues his high end play for two or three years watch out!! The key word in each sentence is if but I think it’s very likely they both happen. 😁

Edited by Paul Costa

12 hours ago, TPS said:

Yeah, they don't need big numbers with their rotation. 

I think they'll have at least 2 other DEs with 5-7 sacks, excluding Von (8-9), and maybe 3 DTs.  They could be a lot like Minnesota last year, no one with double-digit sacks, but second in the league overall. 

This is my thought. Have six guys getting 7-9 sacks and then one guy hitting 10+. Overall have great sack production but not one guy getting elite sack numbers. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

43 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Gotta like that! Everyone ahead of him is seeing 25% more snaps or more and he is with in 7 or better with all of them, gonna be one hell of a season!

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/2/2022 at 10:35 AM, GolfandBills said:

I heard something on one of the Bills podcasts forget which one but they said Rousseau looks like he put on a lot of muscle in his upper body.  I have a lot of hope for him this season as well 

When I saw Groot's college highlights, the talent was evident but I didn't believe he had the strength to play successfully at the NFL level.  

To a degree, I felt the same way last season. 

The extra muscle is very good news.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/25/2022 at 5:43 AM, babulator said:

Groot said he packed on a few pounds of muscle, and it's showing imho. He's looking pretty diesel below, I'm excited for his development!

Those arms don't look real... Jesus... Must be photoshopped!

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

When I saw Groot's college highlights, the talent was evident but I didn't believe he had the strength to play successfully at the NFL level.  

I wonder how much general success for linemen (O and D) simply comes down to being super strong relative to most of your competition.  These guys all look like monsters, but strength doesn't work like that.  I can guarantee some of them are a LOT stronger than others, and that strength (if you have it) has to be an enormous advantage.

I always think back to Reggie White. The guy was a bull of a human being, and had to be as strong as anyone on the field in that era...on top of his general talent he already had.  

Players used to talk about Joe Klecko, too, as being unusually strong relative to those around him.

He was said to be just unusually strong, even by giant NFL linemen standards.  

Incidentally, here's a photo of me doing some weight training back in May...

61ebf43a23d96e6aa517b7e849333ba8--powerl

Edited by Nextmanup
  • Haha (+1) 2

19 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Surprisingly Rousseau is very strong for his build and the extra muscle is only going to add to that strength. Exciting to see how he does next year.  

2 minutes ago, wppete said:

Surprisingly Rousseau is very strong for his build and the extra muscle is only going to add to that strength. Exciting to see how he does next year.  

Love Rousseau, think he is going to be a stud, but 21 reps at 270 is not strong for d line

• 1 month later...

I tend to stay away from radical predictions.  Rousseau should improve year to year.  He was very young and very raw coming out of college.  He had lots of room to develop technique wise, and plenty of growth potential in terms of muscle development.  It should be both fun and interesting to watch that development bear fruit this season, but I'm happy to let it happen as it happens rather than force a prediction on to him.

On 5/2/2022 at 11:33 AM, streetkings01 said:

Calling it now……Greg Rousseau gets double digit sacks in 2022. 

#1 - Von Miller on the other side getting double teamed ……lots of 1on1 action for GR.

#2 - Learning from Von Miller is gonna take his game to the next level.

#3 - Our offense is gonna force alot of opponents to throw the ball to try and play catch-up …….GR will be able to pin his ears back and eat.

#4 - A full year in Buffalo’s strength and conditioning program.

i feel good about him in 22…….12-15 sacks…..calling it now!

I love it, would jizz if he did, and if he hit the numbers you're talking about Beane should be GM of the year. He probably should get that even if GR doesnt explode. Talking heads all over mostly agree Buffalo has the most talented roster in the NFL. Von Miller being the only Big name hired gun on this roster

On 5/3/2022 at 12:33 AM, streetkings01 said:

#1 - Von Miller on the other side getting double teamed ……lots of 1on1 action for GR.

#3 - Our offense is gonna force alot of opponents to throw the ball to try and play catch-up …….GR will be able to pin his ears back and eat.

Hope you're right. I highly doubt it.

He isn't a wildly sudden guy. And he was not really getting doubled much last year

I feel good about him this year too. I'd be pretty happy if he gets maybe 6 - 8, which I think is quite possible.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Hope you're right. I highly doubt it.

He isn't a wildly sudden guy. And he was not really getting doubled much last year

I feel good about him this year too. I'd be pretty happy if he gets maybe 6 - 8, which I think is quite possible.

Nor does he have any bend to turn the corner.  He may benefit greatly from Von Miller flushing QBs to his side while Oliver gets through the middle however.  Rousseau does a very good job of using his length to shed blockers and that could be a great fit.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Nor does he have any bend to turn the corner.  He may benefit greatly from Von Miller flushing QBs to his side while Oliver gets through the middle however.  Rousseau does a very good job of using his length to shed blockers and that could be a great fit.

4 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

Hence there are only some things Rousseau can learn from Von Miller.  They are very different body types with very different skill sets.  Rousseau can probably use some of what Miller can teach in the way of hand fighting, anticipating snap count, persistence and such.  He's never going to have the bend that Miiller has around the edge though. 

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Long arms

That’s what she said…,

I could see him becoming an Arik Armstead type player.  Just needs to stack size and strength imo. I don’t think he’ll ever be the “edge rusher” everyone wants but he can bring it from anywhere and his wingspan will create problems.  

not sure if he’ll be worth his 2nd contract for us, if that means 20M a year.  Luckily, we don’t have to worry about that for another 3-4 years 

Don't forget about Boogie on the other side !!

Get down boogie oogie oogie

Get down boogie oogie oogie

Boogie Let GIF

On 5/2/2022 at 1:24 PM, Nextmanup said:

I have had enormous hope for him since Day One.  

Then last year happened and my enthusiasm lessened considerably.

Will be interesting to see what he does this year on the whole.  We'll get a much better idea of what we drafted after this year.

Did you forget he didn't play at all in the college season prior to bein drafted?  It was almost 2 years since he played in a game by the time he got on the field for real action, and he was raw as a freshman but he has tons of ability, just needs to be able to channel it.  I would suspect he is much better this year.

Edited by Big Turk

14 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Long arms

That is a very real thing that hurts when it comes to lifting, but helps enormously when playing defensive end.

I wonder how his offseason has gone in terms of growing into his body. He’s not the quick twitch/speed rusher kind of guy, but I can see him being very effective. 

Edited by Augie

On 5/31/2022 at 3:42 PM, HappyDays said:

As I said at the time and still believe........Rousseau was a great pick by the Bills.

But he will be under appreciated by fans because he isn't likely to look like a flashy, edge-bending pass rusher.

All he does is make A LOT of plays at and behind the LOS..........as evidenced by the graphic above.

He also tied for the NFL lead in run stops for a DL.........as a rookie..........but most fans were relatively oblivious to his impact there.

The guy played just one season of games in college...........after being a WR in HS.......but in that one season at The U he showed a really unique ability to follow the QB while engaged with the OL.........then level off with the QB.........and use his long arms and Wilt Chamberlain sized hands to pile up sacks and TFL's in bunches.

But even the strip sacks weren't spectacular like a Bruce Smith or Von Miller bending under an OT and running the arc to drill the QB from behind. 

He does have an incredibly long first stride, which is a great building block for him as a pass rusher..........but I think he is a guy who will produce more sacks and TFL's than he does ooh's and ahh's.

Perhaps a lot more.

His skillset is just different...........but it translates well to the NFL, IMO.

I certainly would not be surprised if he stacked up 10-15 sacks this season..........even when likely only playing around 50% of snaps..........and for some fans to still feel left less than impressed..........like watching a 7 footer in a slam dunk contest.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• 2 months later...

Credit where credit is due…..well done! 

He certainly looks for real, and I expect this level of play to continue, and even improve. He’s got the tools, and he seems to have the drive. And a helluva mentor! 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He's also continuing to consistently lock down his gaps and finish plays against the run game as well. 

That's a very complete player in just his second year, and at a premium position and who's likely to keep getting better. 

• Like (+1) 5

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

Credit where credit is due…..well done! 

He certainly looks for real, and I expect this level of play to continue, and even improve. He’s got the tools, and he seems to have the drive. And a helluva mentor! 

He might be like the pass rusher version of Josh Allen for Beane. “Let me draft the guy with the highest ceiling and the ***** you can’t teach, with a great work ethic, who is a bit raw - and then coach/develop them”

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

If he keeps this up, Beane will look like a genius. That kind of pass rush production is usually a top 3 pick.

Obviously having Von Miller draw some attention helps as well. For comparison Bradley Chubb was drafted 5th overall, played opposite Von Miller and had 7.5 sacks in his third season (2nd full season played). Baby Groot already has 3.5 in 3 games (on pace for 20).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.