I think Greg Rousseau becomes an elite pass rusher in 2022

streetkings01

On 5/2/2022 at 10:33 AM, streetkings01 said:

Calling it now……Greg Rousseau gets double digit sacks in 2022. 

#1 - Von Miller on the other side getting double teamed ……lots of 1on1 action for GR.

#2 - Learning from Von Miller is gonna take his game to the next level.

#3 - Our offense is gonna force alot of opponents to throw the ball to try and play catch-up …….GR will be able to pin his ears back and eat.

#4 - A full year in Buffalo’s strength and conditioning program.

i feel good about him in 22…….12-15 sacks…..calling it now!

I’d be more then happy if he would to get 10 sacks 

I fully agree that Rousseau could be in line for a big breakout season, been saying it all off season.  HOWEVER...I would caution people on using double digit sack totals as the barometer for deciding it will be a break out year.  

He can affect the game in so many ways, plus we are still going to use a heavy rotation to keep legs fresh.  This isn't a defense where you are likely to see a single player get a ton of sacks, more like our defense as a whole collectively get more sacks with how we use a heavy rotation and now can get pressure from all 4 DL spots plus DB and LB blitzes.   

But Rousseau can be very disruptive in the passing lanes with his size, like how he tipped Mahomes pass and then caught if for an INT all because of his arm length.  And with Miller on the other side and a revamped interior DL that should also get to the QB more, plus our other young DE's rotating through, a breakout year for Rousseau may look like 7-9 sacks with lots of QB pressures, some tipped passes, etc.  

So I am all for calling it now in terms of him becoming a breakout player on the defense this year because I think he will.  I am not sold he hits 10-12 sacks as an individual just for the reasons I said above.  Certainly possible, but just saying its also not the only barometer for him to have a breakout season.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 5/2/2022 at 11:33 AM, streetkings01 said:

#1 - Von Miller on the other side getting double teamed ……lots of 1on1 action for GR.

#3 - Our offense is gonna force alot of opponents to throw the ball to try and play catch-up …….GR will be able to pin his ears back and eat.

Wouldn't it be so cool to hear the national media heads saying.."This guys unstoppable!"...at the very  least a larger, stronger Jason Taylor. That's what I'm seeing. He's not Bruce Smith, but he's got Bruce to teach him.

Edited by nosejob
  • Like (+1) 2

On 5/4/2022 at 3:54 PM, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I’m interested to see if the two are on the field at the same time. Supposedly they both play the same side mostly.

I'm kinda hoping they use Miller the same way they did Lorax....inside the DE...Groot. That was very successful and being the vet Lorax was , he was able to lead from there. If they're gonna play " we gonna rush four", they better be creative with line stunts at times, see above. I think Shaq needs to try RE with A.J. I like Boogie inside.....IMO. They have to have Groot and Miller on the field at the same time. Looking forward to the upgraded DT play.

Edited by nosejob
  • Agree 1

On 5/3/2022 at 5:50 PM, njbuff said:

Will he get the snaps is the biggest question.

Could see some interesting packages against the pass where Von and Lawson(or epenesa) line up at end, and Rousseas or Basham kick inside. Oliver or Jordan Phillips plays the other DT spot. That's a helluva pass rush when playing with a lead. Salivating

1 hour ago, nosejob said:

I'm kinda hoping they use Miller the same way they did Lorax....inside the DE...Groot. That was very successful and being the vet Lorax was , he was able to lead from there. If they're gonna play " we gonna rush four", they better be creative with line stunts at times, see above. I think Shaq needs to try RE with A.J. I like Boogie inside.....IMO. They have to have Groot and Miller on the field at the same time. Looking forward to the upgraded DT play.

This is an absolute must. I trust us to not overthink this

He’s a totally different kind of pass rusher than Miller, so he’s not going to learn much from Miller except how to be a pro.  Rousseau does not have any bend and is not quick off the ball. He’ll have to rely on his potentially elite power, reach and play reading ability. 

Edited by Charles Romes
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 1

He was Josh Allen like raw coming out of college but you could tell last year that he has the physical tools to become elite. His setting the edge in the run game was a joy to watch at times...now he just has to get better with his pas rushing ability,

I thought Boogie Basham was coming on strong late in the season last year as well.

• Agree 1

Whether it's Groot or someone else, it's going to say a lot about the rest of the talent on this Dline if nobody else can step up given the attention that both Miller and Oliver should garner each week.

Don't need to see another guy explode for 10-15 sacks, but definitely have to get out of this Jerry Hughes type of production from our DE's year in and year out (i.e. 5 sacks)

3 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Whether it's Groot or someone else, it's going to say a lot about the rest of the talent on this Dline if nobody else can step up given the attention that both Miller and Oliver should garner each week.

Don't need to see another guy explode for 10-15 sacks, but definitely have to get out of this Jerry Hughes type of production from our DE's year in and year out (i.e. 5 sacks)

5 sacks from a second defensive end is fine. Von will get more than 5 sacks so long as he stays healthy. 

29 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

5 sacks from a second defensive end is fine. Von will get more than 5 sacks so long as he stays healthy. 

Yeah, they don't need big numbers with their rotation. 

I think they'll have at least 2 other DEs with 5-7 sacks, excluding Von (8-9), and maybe 3 DTs.  They could be a lot like Minnesota last year, no one with double-digit sacks, but second in the league overall. 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

He’s a totally different kind of pass rusher than Miller, so he’s not going to learn much from Miller except how to be a pro.  Rousseau does not have any bend and is not quick off the ball. He’ll have to rely on his potentially elite power, reach and play reading ability. 

He's quick off the ball and he has about the longest first step you'll ever see,  which quickly stresses an OT in pass pro.    He has a number of things to work on but it was that initial impact quickly after the snap that made him effective in preseason and early in the season.     OT's adjusted.   I also think he hit the rookie wall pretty quick.   He had played just one season of football since HS and there he was starting in the NFL as a rookie(and leading NFL DL in run stops).   He did well under the circumstance but his weakness is just not being skilled enough yet to stringing multiple moves together when he gets stopped initially.    I think it's reasonable to question whether what Von can do will translate into things that could help Rousseau..........but I guess I wouldn't rule it out either.       

On 5/22/2022 at 1:36 PM, nosejob said:

Wouldn't it be so cool to hear the national media heads saying.."This guys unstoppable!"...at the very  least a larger, stronger Jason Taylor. That's what I'm seeing. He's not Bruce Smith, but he's got Bruce to teach him.

Taylor was a much twitchier athlete than Rousseau. Their RAS scores bear that out as well:

Gregory Rousseau RAS

Jason Taylor RAS

2 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Taylor was a much twitchier athlete than Rousseau. Their RAS scores bear that out as well:

Gregory Rousseau RAS

Jason Taylor RAS

Yeah, IDK Taylor was the first to come to mind when I pictured Greg becoming more dominant, with the long, swimmy, bendy rush. Someone mentioned Peppers and that would be fine, I'd like to see more power.

Maybe he'll push the 280 lb. mark with added muscle. He also may end up with his own unique type of niche. Either way, I'm expecting to see major improvement. He IMO did very good for a rookie to be in there from day one.

28 minutes ago, nosejob said:

Yeah, IDK Taylor was the first to come to mind when I pictured Greg becoming more dominant, with the long, swimmy, bendy rush. Someone mentioned Peppers and that would be fine, I'd like to see more power.

Maybe he'll push the 280 lb. mark with added muscle. He also may end up with his own unique type of niche. Either way, I'm expecting to see major improvement. He IMO did very good for a rookie to be in there from day one.

I liked the Chandler Jones comparison to Rousseau, similar size too. Jones wasn’t as fast as Rousseau, but he was more agile and explosive. Not by much though. But you’re right, maybe Greg becomes his own thing.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He's quick off the ball and he has about the longest first step you'll ever see,  which quickly stresses an OT in pass pro.    He has a number of things to work on but it was that initial impact quickly after the snap that made him effective in preseason and early in the season.     OT's adjusted.   I also think he hit the rookie wall pretty quick.   He had played just one season of football since HS and there he was starting in the NFL as a rookie(and leading NFL DL in run stops).   He did well under the circumstance but his weakness is just not being skilled enough yet to stringing multiple moves together when he gets stopped initially.    I think it's reasonable to question whether what Von can do will translate into things that could help Rousseau..........but I guess I wouldn't rule it out either.       

I think the thing both Greg and Von have is a good understanding of leverage. They generate it in different ways - Greg with length and Von with bend but where I think Von can help him is once you have won that first half of the rep and established leverage on the OT how do you convert that into pressure on the Quarterback. That is the next step. Once Von wins the first half of a rep it is game over for the tackle. That is where Greg can get better. When you have the advantage how do you hammer it home rather than allowing the lineman to recover. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

On 5/2/2022 at 11:33 AM, streetkings01 said:

I agree. I think he had an underrated rookie year,is a physical freak , has the trust of the coaching staff based on his playing time and has the potential to be an elite DE. 

I also think Boogie has alot of potential and love his ability to slide inside as well.

We got a talented, deep Dline

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.