Drafting Jameson Williams will make us unstoppable

Buffalo Barbarian

53 minutes ago, SCBills said:

If he's there at 25 and we don't take him, i'll be sick.  

I know we could use a CB, but he's a top 10 talent who would ONLY be there due to his injury.  I don't even care if he and Tre miss the first quarter of the season, just get them going halfway through the season and ramped up for the Playoffs. 

It would be similar to what happened with McGahee coming off his ACL when he fell to us

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Trent McDuffie in the 1st

Calvin Austin in the 2nd

Tyler Smith in the 2nd via trade up 

CB2

SLOT

RG

Williams or Dotson in the 1st

Tariq Woolen in the 2nd

highest ranked Guard in the 3rd

After that…don’t really care. 

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

It would be similar to what happened with McGahee coming off his ACL when he fell to us

Not sure what your intent is here, but it’s unfair to compare ACL’s today to ACLs 20 years ago. The technology and recovery times have come a long way. 

2 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Not sure what your intent is here, but it’s unfair to compare ACL’s today to ACLs 20 years ago. The technology and recovery times have come a long way. 

Not to mention, McGahee’s knee injury was much more severe…

5 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Williams or Dotson in the 1st

Tariq Woolen in the 2nd

highest ranked Guard in the 3rd

I'm getting at how McGahee was only there because of the injury

53 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Hate to break it to ya... this team is looking at CB's now that Levi is a Steeler

If Beasley Bucks can bring in a vet at CB, then a WR sticking out on the board at 25 becomes more palatable, yes.

• Agree 1

I don't believe that Williams will be around when the Bills draft and I doubt that Beane will pay to move up to get him.  Just looking at the WR's likely to be around in rounds 2 and 3, there will be some speed guys available.  WR is a very deep position group in this draft class.  CB isn't as deep and the talent drops off considerably after the first six guys.  McD will probably push to get the CB, if one of their top rated guys is there at pick 25.

Either way it goes, I'll be okay with it.  Williams would be an awesome addition.  If Williams is the pick, I'll be listening for a Barbarian's primordial scream coming from deep in the southern tier.  lol

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Trent McDuffie in the 1st

Calvin Austin in the 2nd

Tyler Smith in the 2nd via trade up 

CB2

SLOT

RG

I also like Gordon in the first and Wan’Dale Robinson in the second. But I’m good with either of those four players. Really curious to see how the Bills first few rounds go. I could see them trading up into the second as you suggested or even trading up higher in the second round. 

Would be interesting if he's still there when we pick, but Bills might go different position depending how things go between now and then. Also with WR looking like a good, deep class this year could make them pass in 1st round.

No way to really get a read just yet, but clearly WR will be addressed whether it be veteran or draft. Will be interesting to see how things play out.

1 hour ago, Nihilarian said:

Hate to break it to ya... this team is looking at CB's now that Levi is a Steeler

While the logic makes sense, its not Beanes style to look into a position as must draft at this spot, he is a strong believer in BPA on his board.  Now...that being said, people take BPA way to literal around here, its clearly not ever purely BPA, I mean we aren't taking a QB if that is who is BPA at our pick.  Needs are always baked into their grades on their board, and when they say BPA, its based on their board grades, not peoples mock drafts or anything.  

But if Jameson is graded higher than what ever DB they have the highest grade on at that spot, I have no doubt he would take Jameson.  

HOWEVER:  Beane has also said (what should be common knowledge, but again people take BPA way too literal) that if there are 2 players that are "closely" graded, then things like depth of that position in the draft can come into play too.  So if Jameson is the top guy on their board, but the CB had a similar grade, then the draft being very deep at WR could influence them to take the CB instead if they felt the fall off was greater in the next rounds at DB.  

1 hour ago, 947 said:

I think it's likely that Williams misses at least half of the season.

This teams fine in regular season. If he can play the 2nd half, get some chemistry and be ready by playoffs it's a great move. A Ferrari is in our price range because of a scratch on the door

14 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

While the logic makes sense, its not Beanes style to look into a position as must draft at this spot, he is a strong believer in BPA on his board.  Now...that being said, people take BPA way to literal around here, its clearly not ever purely BPA, I mean we aren't taking a QB if that is who is BPA at our pick.  Needs are always baked into their grades on their board, and when they say BPA, its based on their board grades, not peoples mock drafts or anything.  

But if Jameson is graded higher than what ever DB they have the highest grade on at that spot, I have no doubt he would take Jameson.  

HOWEVER:  Beane has also said (what should be common knowledge, but again people take BPA way too literal) that if there are 2 players that are "closely" graded, then things like depth of that position in the draft can come into play too.  So if Jameson is the top guy on their board, but the CB had a similar grade, then the draft being very deep at WR could influence them to take the CB instead if they felt the fall off was greater in the next rounds at DB.  

The last paragraph in this post is exactly how this process works. BPA versus need is not an either/or proposition.  It seems to me, and maybe I’m wrong, but many posters here seem to look at it as either/or.  If there is a CB available at 25 who is rated at the same level as the best available WR I could see them going with the CB. Free agency could change this. 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

In just a few days I will give an analysis on every draft eligible Bama player.

Slacker.  I want it now!

3 minutes ago, wppete said:

The more I think of it this would be the best move we can make even if he sits for the first half of the year. 

I'm wondering if he's a Beane draft guy though.  From what I saw, he only had one year of production after be buried on the depth chart his first few years.  From what I've seen so far, he might only be a burner

2 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

I don’t take that for granted.  Remember McD thinks he can make anybody a great CB, his history shows we can survive without the best talent at corner.  In the McBeane Carolina days, they let Norman walk because they could replace him with less cost, they also haven’t drafted a DB high since they have been here AND the guys they have found have been solid.  I honestly think it will come down to BPA at 25 or maybe they do like a certain player and go get them.  

WR and CB cost a lot of money for top flight players, but WR is substantially more.  With an eye on the future, they are going to have to let Diggs walk or pay him big, they are letting Beasley go because of money, Davis is going into year 3 of 4 year contract, if he continues to trend up, he’s going to be 10M+ In 2 years.  I think now is the time you take a WR.  You still don’t “need” them to jump right in, but you can use it and develop them so you can let somebody walk rather than over paying.  Allen’s contract really hits next year, Diggs is going to want a rework to 17ish too, you just added Miller for money, Oliver is going to get paid too 10 money next year, you have to pay for a MLB be it Edmunds or other, the roster is going to feel the squeeze of Allen’s deal, you have to start drafting value.  With McD’s over confidence in his ability to develop corners, I don’t think you see one until round 2 at the earliest.  There’s reason for them to look at drafting WR, MLB, CB, OL early in this draft.  I worry more about CB myself, I just think history actually points away from it, unless a super talent falls in their lap.

• Like (+1) 3

We could be in a position where we don't have to draft for need. Beane has stated many times that he wants to be able to draft any position in the draft. I think we bring in a FA CB still, and we might draft one as well. But, it's not a done deal if we don't see a CB at 25 and don't see the value. We could be very well be in a spot to take a guy who likely would've been a Top 10 or higher pick. This is an opportunity, being as solid as we are, to take a guy other teams couldn't draft. And, his potential, if healthy, is scintillating to think about in our offense.

8 hours ago, Success said:

I'm not sure how "need" oriented Beane is in the draft yet - but I'd be surprised if we didn't go w/ a CB or OL in the 1st.

Who are we bumping from the starting lineup if we take an OL in the first? As long as Bates doesn't sign with MIN, the starting 5 is set. We need high impact players in the first few rounds, not backup OL

I don't think this regime drafts a CB in the first. They have shown year after year that it's the one position at which they're comfortable winging it.

• Eyeroll 1

8 hours ago, DCofNC said:

I don’t take that for granted.  Remember McD thinks he can make anybody a great CB, his history shows we can survive without the best talent at corner.  In the McBeane Carolina days, they let Norman walk because they could replace him with less cost, they also haven’t drafted a DB high since they have been here AND the guys they have found have been solid.

All good points but remember that Tre'davious White was drafted in the 1st round by the current administration.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.