2022 Free Agency - Around the NFL Thread

Draconator

1 minute ago, Jerboski said:

How am I the one who is naive when history is on my side… you are basically alluding to the definition of insanity 

Keep running it back expecting a different outcome, it’s obvious to everyone this defense continues to struggle against competent QB play, what is being done to address this?

Ok so it’s being acknowledged this needs to be addressed, good so the other two posters posting at me need to read this! 

"Let it play out". "As of now it's a big concern". Those two statements need to be acknowledged. Relax and let's see what happens. It is, admittedly, not an idyllic picture on the edges of the D line as it stands.

18 minutes ago, cle23 said:

To be fair, Herbert is on his rookie deal, so the Chargers CAN do more to help him.  There is a $9m difference in cap hit this year, and a whopping $31m difference.  They have a lot more flexibility to support him.

This is a valid point but the chiefs were able to make moves while Mahomes was on a big deal, so should we 

2 minutes ago, Jerboski said:

How am I the one who is naive when history is on my side… you are basically alluding to the definition of insanity 

Keep running it back expecting a different outcome, it’s obvious to everyone this defense continues to struggle against competent QB play, what is being done to address this?

Ok so it’s being acknowledged this needs to be addressed, good so the other two posters posting at me need to read this! 

Not a pessimist, love this team… but as the tweet alluded to from Joe below, this team needs a pass rusher and beane is aware of it too! End of discussion 

Cool and we are 58 minutes into the offseason that has months left, to include a draft.  so stop crying about it and enjoy the ride watching your FO build the 2022 team.

17 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I suggest the following tweet for the Sky is falling crowd

Okay so here's my question - if the Bills run back pretty much the same team as last year as far as overall talent level, how do we beat the Chiefs in the playoffs? Allen played a historically good game and the Chiefs lost 4 points from their kicker and we still lost. How are we closing that gap? Just hope that Mahomes happens to have an off day and Allen performs at that level again? Tre White being back obviously will help a ton but I don't think his presence alone closes that gap. That's why I'm frustrated. If we don't add an impact defensive player I don't see how our team got better.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Greg S said:

(3) Joe Marino on Twitter: "The Bills were in on Emmanuel Ogbah and Chandler Jones. Buffalo has a massive need to find meaningful edge rush and Brandon Beane is fully aware of it. Let it play out, but as of now it's a major concern." / Twitter

So insightful, Joe 💤

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Okay so here's my question - if the Bills run back pretty much the same team as last year as far as overall talent level, how do we beat the Chiefs in the playoffs? Allen played a historically good game and the Chiefs lost 4 points from their kicker and we still lost. How are we closing that gap? Just hope that Mahomes happens to have an off day and Allen performs at that level again? Tre White being back obviously will help a ton but I don't think his presence alone closes that gap. That's why I'm frustrated. If we don't add an impact defensive player I don't see how our team got better.

Be patient and you shall be rewarded. 😁

3 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

"Let it play out". "As of now it's a big concern". Those two statements need to be acknowledged. Relax and let's see what happens. It is, admittedly, not an idyllic picture on the edges of the D line as it stands.

I stated this could all be salvaged, my point is at this point in time it would be disappointing if this was our pass rush or if we sign a bunch of lawson/Phillips type 

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Cool and we are 58 minutes into the offseason that has months left, to include a draft.  so stop crying about it and enjoy the ride watching your FO build the 2022 team.

I am enjoying it and I want more, you seem perfectly content with every single thing this FO does it doesn’t do

i don’t work for beane or the bills so I can say or post however I feel about the situation 

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Preach!!!

7 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

What are we looking at? Gem mint Allen optic rookie? 

It's a vintage tackle box, but it's loaded with glass eye bucktail jigs from like 1960's, and a bunch of other assorted lures.  I can probably sell the box itself for what I'm paying, and snag like 50+ absolutely deadly walleye jigs, and a bunch of other lures for pretty much nothing. The thing is the only guy who's bid has been bidding on like 30 different things all day, so I know he's lurking, too.  Really hoping I can Mckissick his ass at the last second

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

With a healthy Tre White, we beat the same Chiefs by a score of 38-20 on their home field. I think people are forgetting we were missing our 1st Team All Pro CB and still were a coaching gaffe away from the AFCC. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Right now our DE room consists of Rousseau, Epenesa, and Basham. We're down three starters/rotational players from last year in Hughes, Addison, and Obada. Clearly Beane is going to plug those gaps and he isn't the type to wait until the draft to fill a need. So yes IF Hunter is available I expect us to trade for him. If not, I have no clue what the plan is.

I agree with you that the lack of talent is a concern.. I had the same concerns  last year... and whilst I was cool with the Rousseau pick (you gotta have realistic goals .. its tough picking at 30)...I was hoping for more in FA 2021 other than bringing in Obada..

I just dont see him doing what will be required to bring in Hunter... big dollars AND high pick(s) doesnt seem his style

I also agree that if he is not planning to do that then Im hoping he has something else up his sleeve other than bringing back Hughes or Addison... If thats all we got then Rousseau better take a big step in 2022 because I have concerns about the other 2 guys

Edited by Aussie Joe

Just now, H2o said:

With a healthy Tre White, we beat the same Chiefs by a score of 38-20 on their home field. I think people are forgetting we were missing our 1st Team All Pro CB and still were a coaching gaffe away from the AFCC. 

Mahomes played poorly in that game though. Tyreek Hill had a ball bounce off his hands that gave us 7 points for free. If the Chiefs happen to have an off day then of course we can beat them. But what the divisional round showed is that when the Bills and Chiefs are both playing their A game, the Chiefs talent significantly outweighs our talent. I'm not satisfied with us running it back and hoping the Chiefs beat the Chiefs. There were 3 impact edge rushers available through trade or free agency and we passed on all of them. That's the kind of difference maker that could put our talent level on par with theirs.

3 minutes ago, H2o said:

And he might be out the first couple months of the season.  So we won’t have our 1 or 2 CB.  We needs CB’s desperately.  

Mahomes played poorly in that game though. Tyreek Hill had a ball bounce off his hands that gave us 7 points for free. If the Chiefs happen to have an off day then of course we can beat them. But what the divisional round showed is that when the Bills and Chiefs are both playing their A game, the Chiefs talent significantly outweighs our talent. I'm not satisfied with us running it back and hoping the Chiefs beat the Chiefs. There were 3 impact edge rushers available through trade or free agency and we passed on all of them. That's the kind of difference maker that could put our talent level on par with theirs.

I'd hardly say we passed, I'm sure BB made phone calls but other teams just had more to trade or were more willing to give more away later to win now. It was also always going to be a mid season rental given the cap situation the Bills were looking at in the offseason.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I agree with you that the lack of talent is a concern.. I had the same concerns  last year... and whilst I was cool with the Rousseau pick (you gotta have realistic goals .. its tough picking at 30)...I was hoping for more in FA 2021 other than bringing in Obada..

I just dont see him doing what will be required to bring in Hunter... big dollars AND high pick(s) doesnt seem his style

I also agree that if he is not planning to do that then Im hoping he has something else up his sleeve other than bringing back Hughes or Addison... If thats all we got then Rousseau better take a big step in 2022 because I have concerns about the other 2 guys

I concur with this but maybe getting consistent playing time will help guys like Epenesa develop. At least, that's what I'm holding on to if we fail to bring in a proven vet.

Sometimes young players need to be allowed to make mistakes and be given ample opportunity. I feel like this should have happened last year instead of rolling with Addison. If you don't have a top flight stud, play your young guys. AJ in particular should be further ahead of where he is now. What's the point of making someone your top pick if he is inactive almost his entire rookie season?

1 minute ago, buffblue said:

I concur with this but maybe getting consistent playing time will help guys like Epenesa develop. At least, that's what I'm holding on to if we fail to bring in a proven vet.

Sometimes young players need to be allowed to make mistakes and be given ample opportunity. I feel like this should have happened last year instead of rolling with Addison. If you don't have a top flight stud, play your young guys. AJ in particular should be further ahead of where he is now. What's the point of making someone your top pick if he is inactive almost his entire rookie season?

I think the Bills were letting Espenesa get used to his new body his rookie year. He should be better developed but we still need a vet in the room. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Not sure how they figure that though seeming how we still basically have the same roster we had last year when we lost to KC. We haven’t added anyone to help elevate our game. 

Got better at DT and WR2 with Sanders gone and Davis taking over that job.  Also lots of good free agents out there and 9 picks.  Deep breath 

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Without signing McKissic we currently have a little over $8M in cap room. Also the players have to want to come here. Also we aren't in the business of OVERPAYING anymore. We are 2 hours into legit FA and the Nancy's are melting like the 2022 season is already over. More moves will be made. There is a draft yet to be had. For God's sake, pull yourselves together gentlemen (and ladies... possibly).  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, H2o said:

Without signing McKissic we currently have a little over $8M in cap room.

Yet we were at the very least in talks with Ogbah and Jones. Beane knows that position is weak. He can make cap room to fit a player of that caliber. So far he has just been unwilling to close the deal. The draft isn't going to add an immediate impact edge rusher. We need to pay for one.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, daz28 said:

It's a vintage tackle box, but it's loaded with glass eye bucktail jigs from like 1960's, and a bunch of other assorted lures.  I can probably sell the box itself for what I'm paying, and snag like 50+ absolutely deadly walleye jigs, and a bunch of other lures for pretty much nothing. The thing is the only guy who's bid has been bidding on like 30 different things all day, so I know he's lurking, too.  Really hoping I can Mckissick his ass at the last second

Did you get it?! 

Yet we were at the very least in talks with Ogbah and Jones. Beane knows that position is weak. He can make cap room to fit a player of that caliber. So far he has just been unwilling to close the deal. The draft isn't going to add an immediate impact edge rusher. We need to pay for one.

Yes it's so obvious isn't it. Yet with some folks, if you do anything other than bow to the Bills you're an idiot. We need to make a move for an impact pass rusher in the worst way. Not Jerry Hughes or Mario Addison being brought back.

So far Beane hasn't been able to fill the pass rusher spot at his price point.  I agree the draft is not the way to go for a difference maker there.  But it certainly seems like Beane has figures in mind and sticks to them.  There are others still out there but they need to come in at the right value or they won't be here.

16 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I'm shocked bease is still on this team. I've said it many times I want him here, but McDermott has repeatedly said over the years that they want guys who wanna be here 

Clearly no one else in the league is interested in Beasley,  which should tell you something. 

1 hour ago, Jerboski said:

That opposing QB has a ring and is 2-0 against ours…. Again open your eyes, the current roster hasn’t been good enough for two years straight why would we think it’s good enough this year standing relatively flat while others (chargers, bengals, Denver) are improving 

The current roster was absolutely good enough to beat them last year.  They whooped them in October and the “roster” had the game won until McD lost the game for them.  The roster was good enough. Coaching wasn’t 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.