2022 Free Agency - Around the NFL Thread

Draconator

Was reading how when these contracts are announced they always list the max amount player can get to make the agent look good even though player may not ever see a good chunk of it.

Got me wondering then, how do agent commissions work.  I've always heard the commission is 10% and the agent takes it from the signing bonus, partly why the agent goes for a big signing bonus to make sure there's enough money so he gets paid and leave some pocket change for the player.

So lets say it's announced as a 3 year, $20 mil contract.  Details are $7 mil signing bonus and salaries of $4, $4, & $ 5 mil per year.  So assuming the 10% number is correct, does the agent then pocket $2 mil right away.  But what if the player gets cut after the 1st year so all the player ever saw was $11 mil.  Does the agent give the player back money, treat it as a credit for commission on next contract, or does the player just lose out? 

Anybody have an answer?  Do we have any agents on TBD?

5 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Was reading how when these contracts are announced they always list the max amount player can get to make the agent look good even though player may not ever see a good chunk of it.

Got me wondering then, how do agent commissions work.  I've always heard the commission is 10% and the agent takes it from the signing bonus, partly why the agent goes for a big signing bonus to make sure there's enough money so he gets paid and leave some pocket change for the player.

So lets say it's announced as a 3 year, $20 mil contract.  Details are $7 mil signing bonus and salaries of $4, $4, & $ 5 mil per year.  So assuming the 10% number is correct, does the agent then pocket $2 mil right away.  But what if the player gets cut after the 1st year so all the player ever saw was $11 mil.  Does the agent give the player back money, treat it as a credit for commission on next contract, or does the player just lose out? 

It works like a withholding on a paycheck.  2 sources, actual payroll from team and off field income:

1. Nfl salary/bonuses: Nfl agents "max" portion is capped at 3%, but better the player (ie: more commercials, off field appearances) may pay next to nothing.  Ie: $100k check at 3%, gets the agent $3k.

2. Off field: can range, and where top agents make their coin...anywhere 5-10% is norm, could go a bit higher.  Things like commercials, paid speaking events, endorsements, etc.

So it doesn't work on "max contract" value, it's tied directly to what is distributed to said player.  

Ton of overhead expenses involved, and countless hours, not my top choice for career.

1 minute ago, MasterStrategist said:

It works like a withholding on a paycheck.  2 sources, actual payroll from team and off field income:

1. Nfl salary/bonuses: Nfl agents "max" portion is capped at 3%, but better the player (ie: more commercials, off field appearances) may pay next to nothing.  Ie: $100k check at 3%, gets the agent $3k.

2. Off field: can range, and where top agents make their coin...anywhere 5-10% is norm, could go a bit higher.  Things like commercials, paid speaking events, endorsements, etc.

So it doesn't work on "max contract" value, it's tied directly to what is distributed to said player.  

Ton of overhead expenses involved, and countless hours, not my top choice for career.

OK so nothing up front other than maybe the agents share of signing bonus, then after that paid commission on game check basis just as player is.  And the 10% number is much lower than I thought, only 3%

4 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

Good for Zay Jones on turning his career around after it looked pretty bleak. But that contract is preposterous. 

He didn't turn anything around. His best years were in Buffalo.

2 minutes ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

With an Offense that probably keeps up with ours. I think they are going to be a heck of a team. 

Well to be fair... on paper the Chargers defense should have been way better than they were last year.

3 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

Well to be fair... on paper the Chargers defense should have been way better than they were last year.

Yeah…losing a win and you’re in against the Raiders. Not afraid of them until they prove something.

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

After Mack I kinda laughed, 3 elite defensive weapons but all injury prone isn’t as scary. But they’re starting to add enough pieces to have a nasty defense even without all big 3 healthy and active. 

You obviously haven’t noticed how bad they were this year…..  scroll up.  Someone detailed how bad they are as if this years defense actually means something next year.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I have a good friend who is an agent and has a few nfl players. I’ll see if I can get some clarification. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.