E Sanders considering retirement

DJB

Bills WR Emmanuel Sanders said he could retire this offseason.

Sanders played this season on a one-year, $6 million contract and has been on four different teams the last three seasons. The 34-year-old's play slipped in the second half of 2021, getting held under 60 yards in nine of the final ten weeks. Sanders should have free agent offers if he doesn't retire but is unlikely to be back with Buffalo.

SOURCE: FOX Sports

Feb 12, 2022, 9:51 AM ET

1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, if they bring him back it would have to be for much less.

Best of luck to him if he does retire.

The one way I'd see it may make sense to bring him back would be if they resign McKenzie (IMO doubtful) and let Beasley walk.  Sanders could fill the slot role against zone defenses and McKenzie plays against man and maybe even improves against zone.  Assuming too it's on a much lower contract, in the one to two mil range, kind of what they were paying McKenzie last year. 

Recall reading last spring/summer that Sanders can play the slot very well, maybe even better than outside.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

If he wants to play another season he needs to work hard in off season so he does not wear down during season.

I’m sure he works hard, in general.  His body just might not be able to recover like it once did, no matter what he does.  He’s played a lot longer than most.  Happens to all of them, and us, sooner or later.

29 minutes ago, purple haze said:

I’m sure he works hard, in general.  His body just might not be able to recover like it once did, no matter what he does.  He’s played a lot longer than most.  Happens to all of them, and us, sooner or later.

Yes but there are things you can do during off season which will help which requiring spending money. 

You need to spend money to make money.

His way of letting the Bills know if he’s not on their plans, let him go.

Nice guy, great career.

I feel he took catches from Diggs when Josh seemed to try too hard to get him the ball at times.  Definitely took catches from Gabe.  If we keep Beas, need to get a good 4th WR as Gabe had better be starting next year.

Just now, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

Do you mean letting him go, like, emotionally? Because he's not under contract with the Bills anymore. 

Thought it was a 2 yr contract.

Not doing himself any justice either way with telling teams he may be done.  If he changes his mind, teams would want to make sure he is all in on the season.

• Like (+1) 1

Bills could offer to put him on PS and then escalate him for games. 

It would give him option to stay with Bills getting health care, training, etc. with him being made active twice.  

Bills could also use him in playoffs something he did not get a lot of before Buffalo.

This would give him less wear. 

I think the lack of catches in latter half of season is partly why he is considering retirement.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

He has been very upfront and saying all year that this might be his last. He had said he definitely would retire if they won the SB. I’m thinking he plays one more year if a decent payday comes from a contender. 

perhaps he comes back for a discount if not?   I cant’t see a contender or anyone paying big money to him.  He was sometimes great but often vanished for games. who knows though

Sounds like it's time.  Beane seems to want to keep Beasley.   If the Bills keep him and manage to re-sign McKenzie, then maybe they use Stevenson when they want speed on the outside to pair with Diggs.  I'm assuming Gabe Davis is being looked at as a starter on the outside with Diggs, but while he's not slow, he's no burner.  I believe it is important for Beane to be cognizant of team speed, especially at the skill positions on offense as well as defensive back, linebacker and edge rusher on defense.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

I'd go with Davis at WR2, draft a WR to eventually replace Beasley, and look to sign a vet WR to a 1 yr deal.  I believe Sanders is retiring and I think McKenzie is going to the Giants.

Yep.  Really want to keep McKenzie though.

His return benching was probably McD’s doing?  Wonder if Farwell had anything to do with it? Do the Bills want him back?

5 hours ago, purple haze said:

Exactly.  By the time you are in your mid 30's in the NFL at WR, your body is breaking down, and you are just not a top end player any longer.  Happened to Edelman.  Happened to Welker.  Happened to Fitzgerald.  Happened to Andre Reed.  Happened to Moulds even sooner.   Happens to them all.  He has had a good career.  

Sanders failed to be the expected upgrade over what they had gotten from John Brown in 2020.

Really missed that speed and quickness aspect that Sanders didn't offer..........especially in that 8 game stretch where they went 3-5 and couldn't hold blocks on the interior long enough for ol' man Manny to get into his artfully run routes.

23 hours ago, dorquemada said:

where will we find a guy that can drop 40% of his targets? DOOMED

I don't think you understand "catch rate".  Sanders didn't "drop " 40% of his targets,he didn't catch them to begin with. Can't DROP what you don't CATCH. I didn't see his drop total; was it like 1 or 2 drops?

22 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

The one way I'd see it may make sense to bring him back would be if they resign McKenzie (IMO doubtful) and let Beasley walk.  Sanders could fill the slot role against zone defenses and McKenzie plays against man and maybe even improves against zone.  Assuming too it's on a much lower contract, in the one to two mil range, kind of what they were paying McKenzie last year. 

Recall reading last spring/summer that Sanders can play the slot very well, maybe even better than outside.

I wouldn't mind seeing McKenzie replace Beasley if Bills have cap issues. Diggs, Davis and McKenzie with Stevenson and Hodgins in the mix,plus a rookie, and a free agent younger than Sanders and  Beasley.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.