The WR FA list for 2022 is very intriguing…

eball

24 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Hard pass on Green. He is washed. We don’t need any more route running possession WR’s. You are better off having 3 WR’s with different skill sets than 3 of the same. Diggs and Davis are not burners. Diggs is a great route runner move the chains guy. Davis is similar but has more size for those red zone contested skinny posts. We have no one who can burn you for 50 yards off play action if the DB cheats for a split second. 

The Chiefs are so prolific because their top two targets are of course superstars but have completely different skill sets. Kelce isn’t running fly routes and Hill isn’t running 5 yard digs or catching fades in the end zone.

Our receivers (burners or not) are great at getting behind the defense.  There are a very small number of receivers not named Hill who are game changing fast and actually talented.  Diggs and Davis both can and have burnt plenty of defenses because the DB cheats for a split second.  Although I'm sure if it was the Titans that beat us in the playoffs we'd see endless threads about needing the next Henry.

Edited by Maine-iac

The Chargers just rolled over $9M to next year increasing their cap space to $68M. As much fun as it would be to see Josh throwing to Mike WIlliams, I can't see the Chargers letting him get away from Herbert. They're in a great position financially with only a few other FA's to re-sign i.e. Jospeh and Harris.

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

He wasn’t getting contained every time.  He had more than a few instances where he could’ve scrambled but instead, chose to run in circles.  He played poorly and it wasn’t 💯 because of the Cinci D.  He choked.  

Seriously?  Honestly and seriously???  That's the hill you are gonna climb up on and die on???  Give it up brother...give it up and move on.  CLEARLY you are in the minority here.....so you know for a FACT that he ran around in circles because he choked.  Wow and WOW!  Sorry man I call total BS.  The man was scared cuz a real D that not only sacked and contained him but put the fear of god in him.....it was safer for him to run circles rather than get smacked.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, eball said:

I was looking around on Spotrac this morning and pulled this list.  There are a number of guys who could add to the Bills offense in a big way to complement Diggs and Davis.  I think we know the Bills aren’t going to go after Davante or Allen Robinson but what about guys like Crowder, Kirk, Mike Williams?

Kirk is intriguing to me in particular.  Still young (25) and had a pretty good year for Arizona with Hopkins going down.

Crowder is a very solid player.  Mike Williams is a contested catch guy also.

Can’t wait to see what Beane does.

I agree so much about Kirk!

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You can try to deny it all you want............but you are the one who put that Saquon thread out there and then defended the idea of paying him $7.2M to the bitter end. :lol:

Shows how little you read.  I said in the ORIGINAL POST and MULTIPLE replies to you that I would assume it would come with Beane doing a new  deal ahead of the trade.  Not my fault you can’t read or refuse to read so you can claim the same inaccurate nonsense 

Edited by Alphadawg7

32 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

Seriously?  Honestly and seriously???  That's the hill you are gonna climb up on and die on???  Give it up brother...give it up and move on.  CLEARLY you are in the minority here.....so you know for a FACT that he ran around in circles because he choked.  Wow and WOW!  Sorry man I call total BS.  The man was scared cuz a real D that not only sacked and contained him but put the fear of god in him.....it was safer for him to run circles rather than get smacked.

Lol. He was pressured and he also choked. Read….others agree with me that Mahomes was bad, I’m not even close to the only one saying that.  Other than watching it, have you not listened to anything related to that game?  Nick wright said that Mahomes sucked.  I haven’t heard many say that Cinci’s D is all that.  They played themselves a good game and they got lucky that Mahomes made some poor decisions and throws.  If you don’t think that Mahomes made bad decisions and throws than that’s on you. Your tone is a bit much.  Welcome to ignore. 

3 hours ago, eball said:

Yes, I made fun of an ages old football "truism."  That doesn't mean I don't think defense is important, and you know it.

Window, schmindow.  When you have an elite QB your window is every year.  The good GMs find a way to manipulate the cap to their advantage, and I'm sure Beane will do the same.

um, tell that to the Dolphins, Oilers, Eagles, or 90-2000’s Eagles, or Bills of the 90’s (never won), or the Lions with Stafford (and Megatron)—or the Bills of this year even, who got bounced largely due to lack of impact players in the front 7, and Bean made no effort to get Von Miller or OBJ to help the offense.  You are not guaranteed anything other than making the playoffs with an elite QB, and we really have not done much to help him out.  That needs to change.  Time to trade early picks for proven vets, or day 1 impact guys (Tre White), not developmental players (groot, Edmunds, Basham, etc.). Rams have had success with this and will now be in 2 SB’s in the McVey era.  

2 hours ago, Allen2Diggs said:

I would love to sign a guy in his prime like Gallup, but realistically a guy coming off a down year on a prove-it deal like DJ Chark

I always get “baby Shark” stuck in my head when I see his name, haha.   But he would be a great addition. 

1 hour ago, Maine-iac said:

Our receivers (burners or not) are great at getting behind the defense.  There are a very small number of receivers not named Hill who are game changing fast and actually talented.  Diggs and Davis both can and have burnt plenty of defenses because the DB cheats for a split second.  Although I'm sure if it was the Titans that beat us in the playoffs we'd see endless threads about needing the next Henry.

imagine having T. Henry in this offense.  wow.  But I’ll settle for another Motor level back so we have 2.  

51 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

um, tell that to the Dolphins, Oilers, Eagles, or 90-2000’s Eagles, or Bills of the 90’s (never won), or the Lions with Stafford (and Megatron)—or the Bills of this year even, who got bounced largely due to lack of impact players in the front 7, and Bean made no effort to get Von Miller or OBJ to help the offense.  You are not guaranteed anything other than making the playoffs with an elite QB, and we really have not done much to help him out.  That needs to change.  Time to trade early picks for proven vets, or day 1 impact guys (Tre White), not developmental players (groot, Edmunds, Basham, etc.). Rams have had success with this and will now be in 2 SB’s in the McVey era.

LOL.  I just don’t think you get it.  The Bills were in the AFC championship last year, and a brain fart away from hosting the AFC championship this year.  “Have not done much to help him out.”  LOL again.  This team doesn’t have glaring weaknesses; they just need to continue to move forward, and to me that means continuing to add weapons for Josh.

I refuse to be a fan pounding his fist on the table for a “splash” move at DE.  The Bills are not at home right now because their defense wasn’t good enough, and if one more person tells me about how the Bengals “shut down” Mahomes I might explode.  The Bills’ coaches failed them by not making necessary adjustments.  You think the Bills lose that game if Tre is playing?

I believe that McD learns from his mistakes.  I’ve seen him evolve year after year, and I think that will continue.  The Bills will have an above average defense and an elite offense, and hopefully a coach who is better at the in-game adjustments that can make a huge difference.

• Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, eball said:

This team doesn’t have glaring weaknesses; they just need to continue to move forward, and to me that means continuing to add weapons for Josh.

I refuse to be a fan pounding his fist on the table for a “splash” move at DE.  The Bills are not at home right now because their defense wasn’t good enough, and if one more person tells me about how the Bengals “shut down” Mahomes I might explode.  The Bills’ coaches failed them by not making necessary adjustments.  You think the Bills lose that game if Tre is playing?

I believe that McD learns from his mistakes.  I’ve seen him evolve year after year, and I think that will continue.  The Bills will have an above average defense and an elite offense, and hopefully a coach who is better at the in-game adjustments that can make a huge difference.

The WR room will look different next year save for Diggs and Davis as we are not sure about Beasley and Sanders. So, adding to the weapons actually means upgrading from the latter two. 

I also agree that D scheme was more at fault on the dreaded 13 seconds and in OT. However, the team can certainly do with an impact DE. If that means trading one of our current DEs to get a better one (Mack?) has merit. Contemplate - AJE+ Hughes for Mack as an example. Adding a rookie wont help as we need that impact now. 

My offseason wish list is:

- Fire Frazier and hire an experienced DC

- Draft OL, DB (Corner) and LB

- Trade Edmunds

- FA or draft for WR

- Add an impact DE

- Cut Star (yea, I know about the cap impact)

- FA for another RB and LB (if we get rid of Edmunds)

Edited by Fan in Chicago
  • Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, eball said:

LOL.  I just don’t think you get it.  The Bills were in the AFC championship last year, and a brain fart away from hosting the AFC championship this year.  “Have not done much to help him out.”  LOL again.  This team doesn’t have glaring weaknesses; they just need to continue to move forward, and to me that means continuing to add weapons for Josh.

Tre played the entire KC game last year and we lost by 2 tds? And giving up 80 points to KC in consecutive years hardly screams good defense.

We need a better pass rush, whether you want to admit or not. And yes McDermott epically failed this team in those last 13 seconds. He had 3 opportunities to win that game and butchered them all.

Unfortunately the season was probably decided in Jacksonville. 

2 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Tre played the entire KC game last year and we lost by 2 tds? And giving up 80 points to KC in consecutive years hardly screams good defense.

We need a better pass rush, whether you want to admit or not. And yes McDermott epically failed this team in those last 13 seconds. He had 3 opportunities to win that game and butchered them all.

Unfortunately the season was probably decided in Jacksonville. 

It’s just really weird how a thread about intriguing WR FAs turned into a “you don’t care about defense” indictment.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, eball said:

It’s just really weird how a thread about intriguing WR FAs turned into a “you don’t care about defense” indictment.

Every single thread on this board morphs into something else. Happens all the time.

Don't worry we'll cut some cap fat and Beane will hopefully replace probable cap casualties like Sanders, Beasley and McKenzie with better, younger and more productive weapons for Josh. 

30 minutes ago, eball said:

Using the Bills D overall numbers ranking for this season, I can understand your thinking that the D is NOT the issue. (Not counting the sad collection of QB misfits the Bills mostly faced this season). I think your position is flawed. Despite the common wisdom on this thread and elsewhere that welcomes the coming departure of Hughes - Addison - Butler- (And possibly Philips) as an opportunity for the Bills to improve by saving some cap space. I see what's left after those departure, and outside of Oliver (Who is still a question mark as someone who would be counted on) I see the Bills defense as a HUGE problem thanks to Beans ineptness in picking D-Lineman. 

If anyone thinks that Rousseau - Basham - Espenesa can fill the shoes of the above names is delusional. Hughes still got great QB harassment grades, even without the sacks. Addison led the team in sacks once again, and could have easily had 11 sacks. Butler is solid, but not spectacular, but I'd take him over ANY of the three just mentioned in a nano second! Frankly, take away Hughes-Addison-Butler and the 2022 D looks comically not ready for primetime. Particularly when the Bills have SB aspirations and will be facing (Real) QB's next season. D-Line help isn't coming from the daft. The Bills have enough novices already in place. Sure the Bills could sign some folks, but they would still be question marks because the Bills aren't signing any (Can't miss)studs. I think the D-line looks to be a disaster, unless they re-think Hughes-Addison-Butler, and start redoing a whole bunch of contracts.                       

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, eball said:

you can lose the “LOL I don’t think yku get it snark.   You don’t have to agree but try not being a jerk.  

14 hours ago, eball said:

I was looking around on Spotrac this morning and pulled this list.  There are a number of guys who could add to the Bills offense in a big way to complement Diggs and Davis.  I think we know the Bills aren’t going to go after Davante or Allen Robinson but what about guys like Crowder, Kirk, Mike Williams?

Kirk is intriguing to me in particular.  Still young (25) and had a pretty good year for Arizona with Hopkins going down.

Crowder is a very solid player.  Mike Williams is a contested catch guy also.

Can’t wait to see what Beane does.

It's always greener on the other side of the fence, huh?

We're  going to stay the course I Billieve and we'll be lucky to keep McKenzie who would give us a home town discount.

How's the guys in the front seven look?

D-e-f-e-n-s-e!

12 hours ago, QCity said:

The Chargers just rolled over $9M to next year increasing their cap space to $68M. As much fun as it would be to see Josh throwing to Mike WIlliams, I can't see the Chargers letting him get away from Herbert. They're in a great position financially with only a few other FA's to re-sign i.e. Jospeh and Harris.

Yep. I think they will keep him even if they end up tagging him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yet offense is not why we aren’t in the SB.  Josh Allen had 9 TDs and almost 900 total yards in 2 playoffs games with a near perfect QB rating.  Yet people still saying forget defense we need more offense?

No disrespect…but…How can you say defense is nonsense?  Did you miss the part where the Bengals only allowed THREE points to the Chiefs in the entire second half AND OT?

Or maybe you missed that part where we gave away a game in 13 seconds?  Or how about the part where we gave the Chiefs 2 TDs and a FG in a total of like 4 min to end that game.  

Not to mention the Rams only made it to the SB because the 49ers safety Tarrt dropped what likely would be the game sealing total gimme interception while Rams were down 2 scores deep into the 4th.

I mean we had one of the best 2 playoff game stretches of offense and QB play in history…literally.  And our season ends because we gave up 3 scores in like 4 min to end the game.  And people still complaining we need more offense and forget the defense. How does this even make sense to anyone?

so what you're saying is bring in chandler jones?  agreed!

23 hours ago, Trust The Process said:

Will Fuller for 1 year 3 million with chance to earn more based on playing time incentives. 

We need to add a vertical deep threat to this offense which Fuller provides in spades. Allen to Fuller on deep throws will be lethal and opens up the field for everyone else. Fuller will want to come to Buffalo to improve his stock, he’ll be motivated. It’s a no brainer. 

Plus the Bills training staff and facilities are top notch so there’s a great chance we can keep Fuller healthy.

19 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

Rather than talking Cinci defense I'll try going along with the the post topic.  FA WR's I'd be interested in seeing in a Buffalo uniform.  First as I look down the list is AJ Green.  If he is out there I think he'd be a good veteran possession receiver who can make a catch in traffic.  More of an outside guy to fill in for Davis or Diggs if they are winded or injured.  Second is Josh Reynolds who I think is what we thought Zay would be when we drafted him.  Again an outside receiver who I think can do a lot of what Davis does and not brake the bank.  Then I see Chark and Gallup both outside guys who have decent experience and production who shouldn't break the bank.  Then I'd clump McCloud, Austin, and Berrios together in a group and call them the possible kick returners group.  There's a few bigger names on the list that might bring some production but someone else will probably sign them and I don't see the price tag as being what we are looking to take on vs what we need to add.

We can’t make the same mistake bringing in a vet Wr that our coaching staff feels obligated to start over Gabe. There needs to be more defined roles for who we bring in and a vet like Aj ain’t going to want to play 30% of snaps. 

If the Bills were to bring in a Vet to start on the outside I would hope that there kicking Diggs inside to the slot were I believe Diggs can be Cooper Kupp esqe and if we did that I would want a burner on the outside not a possession Wr. 

Back on topic.  With Sanders gone, Beas overpriced, and McKenzie barking, we need at least one FA WR.  Get one in the draft and one off the market.  Here are my choices based on potential price and fit:

1.  OBJ-  My crusade for OBJ has not caught much steam yet, so let me try again.  Potential Splash signing.  To my eyes he still has the goods, top  10ish.  The uncertainty of his value (OBJ is listed at only $5.9M in Spotrac) means an opportunity. 

I'd like to see the FO go at him JJWatt style, float an early and best offer and make him think.  Something like $13-14M for a year or two, and let the chips fall where they may.  It would make it hard for OBJ to take a $16M offer from the NEs, Jets, even Clev's of the world without facing the hard reality that he is selling out for the money.  

2.  Berrios - seems like he might be a reasonably priced slot receiver.  According to spotrac he is cheaper than Beas.  If Beas doesn't come down in price significantly, this guy looks like a potential replacement.  Of course would love C Kirk or Crowder but not at the estimated $12M.

On 2/6/2022 at 7:50 AM, eball said:

This is true, I just look at the Bills’ defensive failure in that game as one of coaching and adjustments, not talent.  For my money, I’m going to give the big fella all the weapons I can.

Pairing a talented WR with Josh Allen means taking advantage of 17's multiplier effect...kinda the opposite of moving up in the draft for a WR to pair with EJ Manuel...

• Like (+1) 1

I’d really like to add a 2TE instead in free agency as there are some really nice players…
This is a deep WR class I expect the bills to add one early…wrs in free agency are about as overpaid a position as there is for their production case and point last years top free agent WR was Kenny Golladay and he was hurt all the time and had all of 36 catches  

26 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Back on topic.  With Sanders gone, Beas overpriced, and McKenzie barking, we need at least one FA WR.  Get one in the draft and one off the market.  Here are my choices based on potential price and fit:

1.  OBJ-  My crusade for OBJ has not caught much steam yet, so let me try again.  Potential Splash signing.  To my eyes he still has the goods, top  10ish.  The uncertainty of his value (OBJ is listed at only $5.9M in Spotrac) means an opportunity. 

I'd like to see the FO go at him JJWatt style, float an early and best offer and make him think.  Something like $13-14M for a year or two, and let the chips fall where they may.  It would make it hard for OBJ to take a $16M offer from the NEs, Jets, even Clev's of the world without facing the hard reality that he is selling out for the money.  

2.  Berrios - seems like he might be a reasonably priced slot receiver.  According to spotrac he is cheaper than Beas.  If Beas doesn't come down in price significantly, this guy looks like a potential replacement.  Of course would love C Kirk or Crowder but not at the estimated $12M.

I think having OBJ could be really interesting. Would need to really figure out if it could be done with our CAP challenges and still fill in the other holes. I like it though.

As to Berrios, looking at his price, I think it would be almost a wash as to Beasley's cap savings. Is it worth it?

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/6/2022 at 10:54 AM, jwhit34 said:

The FA WR group is large and diverse. You can find almost anything you want: WR1 (Godwin, Adams), size (M. Williams, Robinson), slot/possession (Crowder), intruiguing upside (Kirk), coming off injury (Chark, Gallup),  etc. 

There is some bias on this board about McKenzie. If you sort by receiving yards he's somewhere around 54th. How likely is it that he gets an offer > $2-2.5 million (if that)?

A couple at the low end that are interesting are James Washington, Alan Lazard and Marquez Valdes-Scantling. Russell Gage too. 

I like Christian Kirk though he may be pricey. Diggs-Davis-Kirk would be good for a years. That would rival Chase-Higgins-Boyd at Cincy.

The wild card are the injury guys like Gallup (also interesting). 

Chark.  I think he would be monster.  Could get him on the cheap.  True 4.3 guy with size.

1 hour ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

I think having OBJ could be really interesting. Would need to really figure out if it could be done with our CAP challenges and still fill in the other holes. I like it though.

As to Berrios, looking at his price, I think it would be almost a wash as to Beasley's cap savings. Is it worth it?

Beasley is almost 33. He gives you zero YAC. And he can't return punts or kickoffs. Berrios led the NFL in combined returns. He's faster and younger than Beasley and would help our abysmal YAC in the slot.  And finally he'd probably come at a slightly less cap hit. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

lol you think Beasley is overpriced?  Go look at what WRs with his statistics make and wait till you see how much lesser players will get paid in March.  

5 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

lol you think Beasley is overpriced?  Go look at what WRs with his statistics make and wait till you see how much lesser players will get paid in March.  

You're making the mistake of pegging his salary to his past production and not his current or projected skill level.  And even going on past production how did Beas compare to McKenzie on a per game basis?   

Beas looked slower and less productive and his trajectory is downward.  I don't think Beas' anticipated/extrapolated skill level is worth the current salary the Bills have him under contract for.  So, yes, I think he is overpriced

If Beas doesn't come down significantly in price I hope the Bills send him packing.  There are alternatives, Berrios and McKenzie come to mind.  Maybe Ertz or Gronk at that price point.  Trade for Toney, imagine the numbers that guy could put up given the opportunity to play the slot receiver for Josh.  And,  yes,  WRs are expensive, so it is important to keep drafting them and trying to grow our own.

On 2/6/2022 at 7:59 AM, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I never thought they gave him the chance he deserved nor did they use him according to his skills set. Washington can run after the catch and it always seems like they were having him run deep fly routes.

I’m interested also in Will Fuller . Adding Fuller speed to this offense would take us to another level. He needs to rebuild his stock so we can get him relatively cheap. Diggs, Gabe and Fuller would just be dangerous for opposing defenses. We also can start using Diggs more in the slot where he can be nearly as unguardable as Coop Kupp

Agree on Washington.

want no part of Fuller.  Good player, but too unreliable.  Misses too much time.

22 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Shows how little you read.  I said in the ORIGINAL POST and MULTIPLE replies to you that I would assume it would come with Beane doing a new  deal ahead of the trade.  Not my fault you can’t read or refuse to read so you can claim the same inaccurate nonsense 

What it showed was how little you understand the basics of the salary cap.

You can't seriously suggest a trade for a high cap figure veteran without accounting for that cap figure realistically.

You refused to even take a stab at how the Bills were going to structure a deal to convince a RB that has earned on-average $7.5M per year in his career to accept a new-team-favorable re-structure to significantly lower his $7.2M cap hit............when that $7.2M 2022 salary is fully guaranteed and he has the promise of unrestricted free agency after the season.  

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Dayum, I didn't realize Miami gave Fuller a 1-year $10M deal. 

And I've seen it projected that he will get another 1 year $10M deal.........which seems outrageous to me.

He's a legit HR threat.........when he's actually available...........but I'd think anything more than $2M with a whole lot of incentives would be hard to justify after he basically took last season off.

44 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

And I've seen it projected that he will get another 1 year $10M deal.........which seems outrageous to me.

He's a legit HR threat.........when he's actually available...........but I'd think anything more than $2M with a whole lot of incentives would be hard to justify after he basically took last season off.

Even at $2M, you can't count on him staying healthy.  He's missed 44% of the games in his career.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

What it showed was how little you understand the basics of the salary cap.

You can't seriously suggest a trade for a high cap figure veteran without accounting for that cap figure realistically.

You refused to even take a stab at how the Bills were going to structure a deal to convince a RB that has earned on-average $7.5M per year in his career to accept a new-team-favorable re-structure to significantly lower his $7.2M cap hit............when that $7.2M 2022 salary is fully guaranteed and he has the promise of unrestricted free agency after the season.  

Lol, you are just trying to be argumentative.  I literally stated over and over the assumption would be a new deal in place if we were trade for him.  I didn't refuse anything, I just started ignoring your attempts to argue your way into validating something I didnt say.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.