Mike Munchak available for OL coach

YoloinOhio

4 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Ok so this is the guy I really like, in addition to Tom Cable. However, he left the Steelers to go to the Broncos to be closer to his family on the west coast. So I am not sure i love our chances. 

They should be chasing Bill Callahan as well. If the Bears can pursue him, why not us?

This...He is the best OL coach in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

There is also solid talent to work with. Mitch is a quality center, Dawkins a good LT, D.Williams a good vet, Spencer Brown an up and coming player and Bates a restricted free agent played well to end the season at guard. It isn't like you don't have a solid unit to work with either. 

I think they will add at least one more in the first three rounds.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Buffalo Boy said:

I think they will add at least one more in the first three rounds.

I think so too. Right now in addition to the starting 5 you have Mongo off the bench (if he isn’t cut for cap reasons) who is a great back up with the ability to play guard and center, Tommy Doyle who is a young player with some Potential and Ford a reclamation project. That’s not bad off the bench and that’s in addition to having an appetite to draft a player there early.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

There is also solid talent to work with. Mitch is a quality center, Dawkins a good LT, D.Williams a good vet, Spencer Brown an up and coming player and Bates a restricted free agent played well to end the season at guard. It isn't like you don't have a solid unit to work with either. 

As has been discussed, don’t count on Mitch necessarily being back.

We have some talented guys, but we need to add and improve. 

• Disagree 1

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Why do we particularly want this guy, and how does he fit with our player personnel?

This is an article from the 30th by the steelers version of bills wire. 

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2022/01/30/steelers-broncos-nfl-mike-munchak/

Steelers fans want him back, haven't seen anything from the normal reporters about it yet. The Steelers do have an opening. From what I observed, he made a big difference in the olines performance. I don't know the details of whether Munchak specializes in what we are going to do or if Dorsey has had any professional contact with him.

10 hours ago, B-Man said:

Nope, Saban gave him the boot.

Alabama hiring new offensive line coach to replace Doug Marrone

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2022/01/alabama-hiring-new-offensive-line-coach-to-replace-doug-marrone.html

Too much 'Sullen Doug' puss must put you in Saban's dog house.

1 hour ago, BruceVilanch said:

Earhart-Perkins is a NASCAR driver, right?

Junior hooked up with the daughter of the restaurant chain, and  scored a new sponsor to boot!  "Tell you what!" 😁

13 hours ago, Simon said:

You know they're about to spend some draft resources on the OLine as well, which should also be an intriguing opportunity for Munchak or anybody else.

I don’t know about that…they spent 2 picks last season who seem to have potential and the team doesn’t seem like they want to completely write off Cody Ford yet. 

10 hours ago, Augie said:

As has been discussed, don’t count on Mitch necessarily being back.

We have some talented guys, but we need to add and improve. 

Be careful what you wish for... Morse has been everything we hoped and dreamed of when we signed him and gave him wings at the airport.

Might be looking to rework/extend his deal for cap purposes, but I am doubting they'd be looking for an upgrade.

We haven't even thought about the center position since Josh's rookie year when it was a mess/turnstile with Bodine/Groy.

16 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Only in our dreams! He will be in high demand. 

So why not us?  Chance for him to strengthen a weak part of our team and go to super bowl.  Where else would be better right now?

41 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

What did I miss about Morse

Yeah I personally don't see us moving on from Morse unless we draft someone high up that is ready to jump in from day 1, I do think we draft a backup Center sometime this year.

18 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Only in our dreams! He will be in high demand. 

Maybe but who else is any closer to being a SB contender than the Bills ?

I'd say it would be pretty enticing to a O line coach to be the one protecting Josh Allen & quite possibly be another piece to the puzzle that could put them in & win a SB .

23 minutes ago, T master said:

Maybe but who else is any closer to being a SB contender than the Bills ?

I'd say it would be pretty enticing to a O line coach to be the one protecting Josh Allen & quite possibly be another piece to the puzzle that could put them in & win a SB .

Don’t disagree. But a guy like Munchak seems like he is thinking more about a bunch of other considerations— family, fit, relationships with the staff, stability, etc.  I doubt he is solely hunting SB rings at this stage of his career. 

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

What did I miss about Morse

It could be NOTHING, but I met his uncle in the Chicago airport on the way to the opener. He and his wife were on the flight to the game, first time in Buffalo. He said this would be Mitch’s last year. I said I thought he had one more year on his deal and he just shrugged and said “well, you know….”.  Since then I’ve heard a couple little things that made me wonder when filtered thru that light. 

He talked a lot about his wife and kids back home, and I wonder if Mitch has made enough money and wants to get out before the concussions get the better of him. I am NOT saying it’s true or a fact, but I can’t un-hear it. Maybe he’s just been thinking about it? Maybe he took something out of context? I don’t know.  🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, nucci said:

did the offense have a lot of problems?

At times during the season, yes. Jax and Pats MNF come to mind as games that would have been won with a different offensive game plan. Overall, until the playoffs, it always seemed like despite some of the big points they rolled up, they left a ton of points on the field. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

At times during the season, yes. Jax and Pats MNF come to mind as games that would have been won with a different offensive game plan. Overall, until the playoffs, it always seemed like despite some of the big points they rolled up, they left a ton of points on the field. 

My brother summed it up best, he said Dabs gameplan each week was to “Hope Allen is amazing.”

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Every offense struggles in certain games but to say there were a lot of problems, i don't agree with. main problem was not running enough. Once we started running successfully, offense was unstoppable

Just now, nucci said:

Every offense struggles in certain games but to say there were a lot of problems, i don't agree with. main problem was not running enough. Once we started running successfully, offense was unstoppable

I would not say there were a lot of problems either, relative to other teams. But I can see where there were areas of concern. 

3 minutes ago, nucci said:

It was definitely a struggle to find a way to run successfully. We had a very uneven middle of the season because our line play sucked, we couldn't get the ground game going and that negatively impacted the passing game.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, nucci said:

Yes, Sir! 

1) Steelers game, all game - 16 points, 1 TD, 3 FG

2) Titans game - I know it seems odd to say of a game where we scored 31 points, but the fact is, we stalled out - what was it, 5 trips to the RZ and 1 TD?

3) 1st half of 2nd Miami game - scored 3 points, 3 punts and a turnover on downs

4) Jaguars game - no TD, 2 FG early in the game, 2 INT and a fumble

5) Colts game - skunked for the 1st and 3Q, 1 TD each in the 2rd and 4th

6) first Pats game - skunked in the 2nd and 4th Q

7) first half of the TB game, 3 points

8 ) we won, but 3 picks in the Atl game?  C'Mon Man!

Basically the first game laid down a template that IMHO led to a stretch of "wheel spinning" in the middle of the season.  Then we adjusted and figured out how to craft a bit of a run game towards the end.

Lots to improve, and several causes.  OL issues were a part, offense so predictably pass centered that D's could stop defending the run entirely and just tee off on the passing game was a part.

Need improvement on OL, and while we should not  become a run-first team, we need to be able to mount a capable rushing attack that does not involve Josh Allen.

At times our offense was AMAZING, but when defenses were able to execute certain game plans it could be stymied.  Any time a defense doesn't have to defend all aspects of the game and the entire field, it's a Gift to them.

We went 0-5 in one score games during the season, and 0-6 overall.  Anytime there is something that non-random, questions need to be asked about design and execution leading to that effect.

• Like (+1) 4

17 minutes ago, nucci said:

It's not just "not running enough".  Daboll is no fool to not do something that works, just because.  It's that our run game was just not working. 

I believe he had to have his arm twisted to really dig into that and figure out how to make it work, but eventually he did - it wasn't just that we ran more, it's that we were running different run plays behind different blocking.

I think if the rumor that there was tension between Daboll and McDermott is true, it would be over this issue - Daboll might feel "well you didn't give me improvements on OL that I needed if you want me to make the run game work and I'm not going to keep calling plays that are ineffective" and McDermott might feel "look, you had a working run game in 2019 with the same or a slightly worse OL and the same back, Figure It Out." 

Like most things, there would be points of merit on both sides.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, uninja said:

It was definitely a struggle to find a way to run successfully. We had a very uneven middle of the season because our line play sucked, we couldn't get the ground game going and that negatively impacted the passing game.

All true; however, in all fairness to the coaching staff, the OL was a game of musical chairs all season long. their top 5 linemen played together only 5 times all season - and that included the playoffs. I'm not making excuses, just pointing out that it is something that needs to be taken into consideration when evaluating the Oline play and coaching.

• Agree 1

On 2/2/2022 at 9:47 AM, nucci said:

Yes Jacksonville, Pittsburgh, Tennessee, New England on Monday football.  If it was not for Josh’s ability to avoid sacks and if people say the oline played well in Kansas City just watch the 4th and 6 play in the playoffs were the Chiefs still don’t know what they did not sack Allen.

18 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

According to Vegas the Chiefs are the favorites at this point at 6.5 to 1 and Buffalo is second a 7 to 1.

I didn't realize the Chiefs were looking for a O line coach but i did know the Bills were in need of one that's why i reply'd as i did but if they are then yes they are closer than the Bills if those are the numbers .

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.