Anyone else worried about daboll heading into the playoffs?

Steptide

I think the bills have a super bowl caliber defense that is good enough to win it all, but I fear the offensive side of things. Even yesterday, I was yelling at my TV wondering what daboll was doing. On one of our offensive possessions (I believe the score was 10-7) they went run run pass, which ended in a punt. I also can't for the life of me figure out why daboll runs on 2nd down so much in the red zone. Obviously we won by 17 pts yesterday, and we have a huge margin of victory in our wins this season, but I'm worried what this offense is gonna look like in the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

I'm worried and very concerned right now about a lot of things and it would be so Billsy for this team to exit the playoffs early with a top defense not being able to compensate for a woeful offense which just one year again it was the exact opposite.

Just hope this entire coaching staff understands that any chance we have of making a serious run is an aggressive gameplan that doesn't involve wasting carries on Zack Moss and other gimmicky gadget crap that can lead to turnovers and big loss of yardage.

Let Allen be who he was against the Pats a few weeks ago and feed singletary exclusively.

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 3
  • Dislike 1

I am worried Daboll will forget to run the ball. I am also a little worried we will have trouble stopping the run.

I just think the Bills need to put teams away. I have nightmares about us blowing a big lead in a playoff game.

• Like (+1) 2

I think Daboll has been setting some things up for the playoffs. When we went up a couple scores on Atlanta he threw some tricks in. We went up 10 yesterday and same thing...to include the wild cat. 

I'm thinking he's giving them more to study on film and setting up a few plays where he can catch the Pats thinking one thing and switch to another.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

He would be my biggest concern currently. It's his job to use what we have effectively and while I think there are execution problems with players, too often this season, I've seen games where players don't seem to be in positions to succeed

Edited by Malazan
  • Like (+1) 1

#1 point differential in the league.  #1 yardage differential in the league.   Generally speaking, I'm not worried about our coaches.  They've been successful.

I do worry about matchups.  

The Pats D is a good.   They may slow down our offense.

If they do, it'll allow them to stick with a run-heavy offense.   We haven't been great against the run this year.  Their best hope to succeed is to balanced/run-heavy attack.  

If this team doesnt shoot themselves in the foot with bad penalties and we get out of these sporadic offensive funks, we can beat anyone in this league. No doubt in my mind. 

This defense is statistically better on paper compared to reality - they can be exposed. But theyre really good and good enough to win a super bowl in tandem with our great offense. Speaking of our great offense - we just have to limit stupid penalties and execute better in the red zone.

30,000ft view of things. We are 1 of I’ll say 2 or 3 teams in the NFL that have it all - great defense and great offense. We just need to be hitting all cylinders at the same time if we’re going to win it all. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I'm worried and very concerned right now about a lot of things and it would be so Billsy for this team to exit the playoffs early with a top defense not being able to compensate for a woeful offense which just one year again it was the exact opposite.

Just hope this entire coaching staff understands that any chance we have of making a serious run is an aggressive gameplan that doesn't involve wasting carries on Zack Moss and other gimmicky gadget crap that can lead to turnovers and big loss of yardage.

Let Allen be who he was against the Pats a few weeks ago and feed singletary exclusively.

Woeful offense?  Didn’t we lead the league in points?  Aren’t we in the top six in yards both passing and running?  

You want to worry about things out of your control?  Worry about punting and catching punts. 

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I think the bills have a super bowl caliber defense that is good enough to win it all, but I fear the offensive side of things. Even yesterday, I was yelling at my TV wondering what daboll was doing. On one of our offensive possessions (I believe the score was 10-7) they went run run pass, which ended in a punt. I also can't for the life of me figure out why daboll runs on 2nd down so much in the red zone. Obviously we won by 17 pts yesterday, and we have a huge margin of victory in our wins this season, but I'm worried what this offense is gonna look like in the playoffs. 

I feel like minimizing injury risk while still remaining competitive was the primary focus of that jets game…felt like we were playing with training wheels on at times.  A few times josh had huge running lanes and just threw it away.  Felt to me like he went off script late to put the game away but that’s just a gut feeling lol.

we got through unscathed so mission accomplished if that was the goal.  Pats got pretty banged up too 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Steptide said:

It's a fair point. 

I'm also worried about McDermott. 

He turtled again yesterday and put Hyde in at returner when McKenzie bobbled the ball. 

The Bills and their wimpy "try and draw them Offside" ploy. 

Beasley at this point is like playing 10 on 11, yet he's still in there 50% of the time. 

McKenzie gets 1 carry for 10 yards, never touches the ball again. 

The throwing out of tight formations doesn't work. 

Hopefully the Bills remember Dawson Knox is on the team.

Not sure when the Bills will mix in 4 and 5 wide receivers again. They've been scared since Week 1 ended. 

A few things that give me hope:

The Bills figured out Zack Moss is horrible, and needed to be taken out of the offense.

The Bills putting Tommy Doyle in as a 6th O-Lineman. 

Allen running again in the Red Zone against the Falcons. 

10 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

If this season has taught me anything it's that I have no clue at all about what's going to ***** happen.

So true.

As to @Steptidequestion.  Personally, I only start to worry at the time of the kickoff and I don't stop until the end of the game.

That's enough for me.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

A woeful offense? Where do people come up with this sh!t from?

We scored 57 TDs, the same as the Chiefs, tied for 4th in the NFL.

We were 5th in the NFL on offense averaging 381.9 yards per game and 3rd in scoring averaging 28.4 points per game, which by the way, put us first in the AFC. Only Dallas and TB were ahead of us.

So please tell me...how were we "woeful" on offense?

Maybe you should watch more games because clearly you haven't seen some other teams play offense.

Yesterday might have been the most punts all year and we still rolled up 430 yards of offense and 27 points.

Honestly don't even respond...just GTFO with that bullcrap.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Process said:

Daboll will be the Bills toughest opponent these playoffs, I am more worried about him than any other team in the AFC.

I am not. The weather conditions have been truly insane this year with home games. Look at our road performance without 30 mph wind, and we have enough of a running game to keep teams honest. He’s saved a few things for playoffs and we are in good hands. 

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

He also punted on 4th and 1 after acting like he was going to go for it and then wasted a TO when the play clock got down to one instead of just taking the 5 yard penalty and then punt…. 

I'm not certain they had decided to punt prior to the timeout.

Could well have been that the timeout discussion led to the punt decision.

Assumptions from fans are often inaccurate.

50 minutes ago, Evian said:

I am worried Daboll will forget to run the ball. I am also a little worried we will have trouble stopping the run.

I just think the Bills need to put teams away. I have nightmares about us blowing a big lead in a playoff game.

And I am worried he will run it too much. 

• Like (+1) 2

the only thing i am worried about it a major player testing pos.....what does the nfl do when a QB for any of the playoff teams happens to test pos.....hope to hell it doesnt happen to anyone....will be very interesting to see what happens if it does.

Edited by Lagoon Blues

49 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

He also punted on 4th and 1 after acting like he was going to go for it and then wasted a TO when the play clock got down to one instead of just taking the 5 yard penalty and then punt…. His aggressiveness was awesome against the Patriots… but I feel he’ll go back to his conservative roots when the game isn’t going their way…. And Hyde sucked back there. 

Against a team where a 3 point lead seemed insurmountable. Context bro...context.

I'd like to see more plays in rhythm even if they're short passing plays.  The QB improv off a broken play is exciting but it also indicates that the initial play call was ill-timed, easily read, or took too long to set up.   When the Bills move the ball predominantly on improv heroics, Daboll in not calling a good game and it usually seems to be accompanied with forced bullet passes and ignoring the easy 5-7 yards in the short passing game.  Singletary isn't Thurman or Marshall Faulk, but he's looking pretty good here as of late.

Belichik obviously knows Daboll well from their time together in NE.

Obviously the gameplan was excellent a few weeks ago but it took probably Allen's best game of his career to pull that out and overcome the late surge from Mac Jones and the Pats offense. The chances of Allen having that type of game again are the same as the Pats winning with their QB only throwing 3 passes like the first match.

Either way I've always hate division game matchups in the playoffs because you can throw out the regular season and there have been many instances of teams getting swept by a division rival in the regular season only to win the 3rd matchup in the playoffs (TB/Brady were the last to do it against the Saints in the playoffs last year).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.