Dolphins fire Brian Flores

YoloinOhio

Listening to WEEI and it’s kind of funny (actually a little sad how much they are living in the past) - they said when new coaches are hired in the afc East it is with the sole purpose of wanting to take down the pats.  and they can’t believe they got rid of Flores because he can beat the pats. They said that’s why it had to be something much bigger, it can’t be his performance. 

Um, he can’t beat the bills. That is who he needs to beat. Not the pats. 

they didn’t even mention the bills. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Listening to WEEI and it’s kind of funny (actually a little sad how much they are living in the past) - they said when new coaches are hired in the afc East it is with the sole purpose of wanting to take down the pats.  and they can’t believe they got rid of Flores because he can beat the pats. They said that’s why it had to be something much bigger, it can’t be his performance. 

Last Dolphin to beat the Bills was Charles Clay.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It is true that the roster he had over in 2019 was without question the worst in the league. He did a good job to get them to 5-11.

People may be shocked and the reason might be crazy since he lost a power struggle with he GM partially because Ross is never there to actually see what's going on, but realistically, how can a team hope to go anywhere when the top dog(Bills) in the division blows them out twice a year?  I mean, you can't just have two automatic L's on the schedule every year in the division, and that is pretty much what they have been under Flores.  Games are not even competitive for the most part. Honestly I am sad to see him go because they had no chance of beating us with him as the coach. 

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I agree. Flores or Fangio. You can't go wrong with either. 

Has Flores ever been a DC?  At any rate, he’s not going to take that job.  I think he’ll land one of the current HC openings…

On 1/10/2022 at 7:41 AM, DCOrange said:

I do think Pederson will likely be one of their targets. We'll see with Harbaugh; seems like it's essentially just Dolphins fans trying to make sense of the firing while the actual reporters say there's nothing to it. Reality is he was fired because nobody wanted to work with him. Dolphins owner also just put out a statement saying he hopes Harbaugh stays at Michigan.

He technically had to say that because of the Rooney rule

13 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

He technically had to say that because of the Rooney rule

He absolutely did not have to say anything about it. Certainly didn't have to say he hopes he never leaves Michigan. If he wanted Harbaugh, he could have just said something along the lines of "Harbaugh's a great coach, but we're going to have a legitimate search here."

I think Brian Flores will soon be showing the Dolphins the error of their ways. They should just trade Tua and try their luck again at QB, not fire a good coach. I think it will be a while before they mount a serious threat. I think he'll be looking for a team with a good, young QB next time.

Edited by GreggTX
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

• GreggTX changed the title to Dolphins Self-Destructing

My favorite thing about a division rival firing a head coach is that it sets team construction back for them. New coaches tend to bring in their own systems, which often require different types of players, meaning that good players get shipped out for not fitting the system, and the team has to spend valuable draft and free agency capitol to replace those players. We saw it happen to the Bills for YEARS.

One of the big reasons the Pats dynasty was so successful for so long is that the three teams with which they shared a division were constantly churning through GMs, coaches, and QBs, and never had any stability, and therefore could never become a serious threat to the very stable Pats.

Well, the Bills finally turned the corner on that front, but it looks like our fellow division mates, the Dolphins and Jets, are still up to their same old tricks.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

He had that D flying around looking good at the end of the year, til they ran into that titans buzzsaw of confusing success.  

I’m happy they fired him and I hope he ends up in the nfc.  I don’t think he’s a sure fire good head coach, but I do believe he’s a helluva defensive mind.  

11 minutes ago, K-9 said:

At 70, Saban would be nuts to leave the job he has now for the uncertainty of going back to pro ball. 

I would say there's a zero percent chance Saban becomes the head coach of the Dolphins, but that wouldn't do it justice. It's a less than zero chance. I have a better chance of sprouting wings and flying to Jupiter than Saban does of either wanting to leave college ball or being hired back by the team that he deserted when he left the pros to begin with.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Trock said:

He’s had three seasons and his team was terrible. Flores deserved to be fired.  I’d take him as our d-cord.  

Rather have Giants ex-HC if Leslie leaves.

Just now, Logic said:

I would say there's a zero percent chance Saban becomes the head coach of the Dolphins, but that wouldn't do it justice. It's a less than zero chance. I have a better chance of sprouting wings and flying to Jupiter than Saban does of either wanting to leave college ball or being hired back by the team that he deserted when he left the pros to begin with.

There is a higher chance if Saban wanted to retire with a big payday like Gruden did and expected Phish to cut bait quickly likely they have recently.

15 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

The Dolphins won 6 in a row, or was it 7, before losing to the Titans. They then swept the patriots the following week. If I'm the owner or GM of a team, I'm not firing a HC that won 7 of his last 8 games. Porpoise management is bad and I love it.

I am firing the coach who lost seven in a row before that.  Inexcusable to have that start with that team, especially on top of previous failures.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Don't know if this nugget was posted as I don't feel like scanning 13 pages but it seems Flores wasn't a big fan of Tua's skill set. But he didn't seem to fully endorse Watson. What gives? 

https://nypost.com/2022/01/12/dolphins-brian-flores-and-tua-tagovailoa-had-blowup-before-firing/

Head coaches should not be talking like gutter rats.

On Tuesday — a day after the Dolphins fired their former head coach in Flores — a new report said he had an F-bomb-filled “meltdown” with the quarterback at one point this season

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.