Tommy Doyle at Jumbo TE

YoloinOhio

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Anyone notice him the last couple games and if he’s been a factor? I admittedly didn’t. Interesting wrinkle. 

Yea, he was out sealing the edge last week on one of Allen’s TD runs to the left. Love seeing him getting some time in there. He is so big but displays agility that’s impressive for a man his size. 
I noticed him last night a couple of times, one of which was him brushing the front of his jersey, signaling to the ref he would be lining up as an eligible receiver. The ref then announces that to the defense. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I’m glad that he’s getting some experience out there and he seems to be making a difference.  Iirc he had 1 (maybe 2 penalties) and almost had another for going  Morton Downey Jr on someone after the play.  Doyle was fired up

It would be nice if we had a TE2 worthy of being active.  Are we the only team in the league that only dresses 1 TE weekly?  I hope he’s been practicing some routes and they have some trickery planned for these playoff games. 

I noticed him a couple times - one being salty after the play (in a good way).  I couldnt figure out why he was playing - at one point I thought Dawkins got hurt or something

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, stevewin said:

I noticed him a couple times - one being salty after the play (in a good way).  I couldnt figure out why he was playing - at one point I thought Dawkins got hurt or something

That was my reaction, too. I figured someone was dinged up but this explains it. He and Brown are giants out there. Strength guys will have a field day in the offseason with these two horses. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, TheFunPolice said:

Spencer Brown was a home run pick, and if Doyle works out as well that's a really good OL draft this year. 

Had the Eagles not stoled Jack Anderson (he started for them at OC the season finale) this would have been a good foundation for years to come. 

Yeah I noticed he was out there a bunch yesterday.

He's basically our Lee Smith now. Granted, he presents zero threat to run a pattern or catch a pass, but he's a capable extra blocker.

It's kind of funny to me, actually. After the Bills struggled with run blocking and pass protection all season, Daboll was finally just like "***** it, we're bringing in an extra tackle."

It also helps explain us only having one true tight end active the past few weeks. If, heaven forbid, Knox ever goes down with injury mid-game....yikes. It's Gilliam city.

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Fixxxer said:

Had the Eagles not stoled Jack Anderson (he started for them at OC the season finale) this would have been a good foundation for years to come. 

If he turns out to be good…..starting a game because their starter was resting doesn’t really mean much.  I thought he had some potential, but he hasn’t shown he can play yet. 

I think people are making to much of it. 

He is playing the role Bates played before becoming our guard - he is the extra lineman brought in.

The increase emphasis on running has given him extra snaps the last 2 games and he does play with nice strength and a bit of an attitude.

He drove a jet defender to the turf yesterday and then got into a nice scrum with the player.  He also had a penalty - I believe - and missed a least one block on the outside.  

He is less athletic than Bates, but Brown, Doyle, and Williams on the right side is a lot of beef and attitude.

23 minutes ago, NewEra said:

If he turns out to be good…..starting a game because their starter was resting doesn’t really mean much.  I thought he had some potential, but he hasn’t shown he can play yet. 

of course, time will tell. 

• Agree 1

Just now, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

Yeah, seems like he really would take the d to another level, he will only be there for us when we pick if he runs poorly at the combine. 

Even then, you probably have to trade up, but it might be close enough to think about. (I don't think he'll run poorly, though.)

43 minutes ago, Fixxxer said:

Yeah, if Doyle Pan’s out, then they’re set at OT for the prime of Allen’s career. They will need another G and Morse’s replacement, but it’s possible Bates moves to C eventually. 

Had they kept Teller instead of Spain, they’d be in great shape. That said, Beane and co seem pretty good at finding OL in rounds 3 and later. Ford was R2. 

2 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

I noticed his holding penalty that killed a drive, I think in the 3rd Q. 

Any way to get him snaps is good I guess.  I much prefer Beane find a better TE#2 and move on from Sweeney.  

Using Doyle at TE to help in the run game has been understated. Knox was pretty bad in that area

7 minutes ago, TPS said:

Yeah, if Doyle Pan’s out, then they’re set at OT for the prime of Allen’s career. They will need another G and Morse’s replacement, but it’s possible Bates moves to C eventually. 

Had they kept Teller instead of Spain, they’d be in great shape. That said, Beane and co seem pretty good at finding OL in rounds 3 and later. Ford was R2. 

Leave Bates at guard, draft a center. 

12 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

Yeah, seems like he really would take the d to another level, he will only be there for us when we pick if he runs poorly at the combine. 

I like Jones(UCONN) and Ika(Baylor) later in draft. Get Josh some younger playmakers

18 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I like Jones(UCONN) and Ika(Baylor) later in draft. Get Josh some younger playmakers

I've always said that once you have a playoff caliber team it's a decent time to go for a top TE in the first round. Most of your team has pretty good talent and a TE can help you get over the top. I guess I'm not sold on Knox as the only guy yet because he can't root people out while blocking, he's more of a get in their way blocker. Which I think is why Doyle has been able to step into the lineup. That said, if there is a TE who can both block and get down the seam (aka has a high enough RAS score, ha,ha) I'm fine with taking him in the first round. I think a two TE set will help our running game and our passing game.

I can see them taking a wr also. I thought Gabe was a little shaky yesterday, I saw Diggs getting him lined up once and there seemed to be a couple of wrong reads/patterns too. I'm guessing that's why Sanders plays more than Davis, and if that's the case in Davis' second year it might be the staff doesn't trust him yet and they may commit a high draft pick to a wr this coming draft.

It's nice to have first world problems instead of what we had during the drought. 

Edited by 4BillsintheBurgh
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Was he part of that scrum or was this a separate fight 

btw I think he is a former hockey player so 

It wasn't the big bust up, it was a separate play where he carried on going at it with someone after the play. 

I like to see that kind of spirit in a player

majorleauge_brown.jpg

1 hour ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Leave Bates at guard, draft a center.

I recall reading an article about Bates and how he was focused on C, hoping to take over after Morse goes.  If he can be a good C, it's a lot easier to find guards in the draft, so why not?  

At any rate, I trust Beane will continue to ensure the Bills meet their needs going forward.

3 minutes ago, TPS said:

I recall reading an article about Bates and how he was focused on C, hoping to take over after Morse goes.  If he can be a good C, it's a lot easier to find guards in the draft, so why not?  

At any rate, I trust Beane will continue to ensure the Bills meet their needs going forward.

I mean either way need another Guard and someone to back up at center.

• Agree 1

this was our pick after spencer brown, right?

iirc, if we didn't draft brown everyone would be talking about what an absolute ahthletic freak this kid is.  he was down from brown, who by many accounts is the most athletic OT ever measured, but he's like top 1% of athletic tackles ever tho.

i think we got so bloody rocked by the pats w the extra lineman (in that we knew what they were doing, prolly knew the exact play half the time, but still got trucked often enough) that we stole the idea.  it can set up some play action too, or even just a qb keeper.  Good to have an extra look.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

The Brown and Doyle picks have me hoping that we're over the "slimmed down" guys phase and will value size.

In this draft I want a DT who when he walks into the room people think there's an earthquake happening. 

To be fair we've drafted behemoths like Cody Ford in the second round. 6'4 330 

And teller 6'4 320  

Brought in Star ... A huge end in Rousseau  

Oliver is small for a DT but is playing like a top 10 pick.. he has been our best d lineman

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Logic said:

Yeah I noticed he was out there a bunch yesterday.

He's basically our Lee Smith now. Granted, he presents zero threat to run a pattern or catch a pass, but he's a capable extra blocker.

It's kind of funny to me, actually. After the Bills struggled with run blocking and pass protection all season, Daboll was finally just like "***** it, we're bringing in an extra tackle."

It also helps explain us only having one true tight end active the past few weeks. If, heaven forbid, Knox ever goes down with injury mid-game....yikes. It's Gilliam city.

I actually think he might be a better pass catcher than lee smith. On draft night I though brown could be the smith replacement and after checking his measurements were better than lee smith. I suspect Doyle is also faster. 

I love that they have moved to getting the best 11 guys out there and if that includes 6OL then so be it. 

I also have thought Knox has been a much better blocker this year. Particularly the falcons game (granted they are not world beaters). 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, colin said:

this was our pick after spencer brown, right?

iirc, if we didn't draft brown everyone would be talking about what an absolute ahthletic freak this kid is.  he was down from brown, who by many accounts is the most athletic OT ever measured, but he's like top 1% of athletic tackles ever tho.

i think we got so bloody rocked by the pats w the extra lineman (in that we knew what they were doing, prolly knew the exact play half the time, but still got trucked often enough) that we stole the idea.  it can set up some play action too, or even just a qb keeper.  Good to have an extra look.

The Bills have been using an extra lineman on unique occasions all year. Mainly, Bates. Doyle has inherited the role with Bates’ move to full-time employment. I do think they have gone to it more in the last quarter of the season. 

Edited by CSBill
  • Like (+1) 1

One thing you have to give credit to this coaching staff is they seem to maximize their roster and work everyone into the lineup.

Unfortunately some times that means too much flip flopping on the inactive list each week or wasting reps on guys that just aren't cutting it, but it's nice to see guys like Doyle get some action after sitting pretty much the first 3/4 of the season.

11 hours ago, CSBill said:

The Bills have been using an extra lineman on unique occasions all year. Mainly, Bates. Doyle has inherited the role with Bates’ move to full-time employment. I do think they have gone to it more in the last quarter of the season. 

ya, when i see them bring one in and keep him in for a few consecutive plays, i figure its growing on them now.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.