Panthers Willing to Listen to Offers for McCaffrey

aristocrat

7 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

On one hand it's easy to say no thank to any more Panther cast offs, but McCaffrey certainly is a special talent but he's damaged good at this point.

So any trade would have to be conditional in playing time/staying healthy, etc. Maybe something like a 4th rounder that could turn as high as a 2nd.

6 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Offer is a Conditional 4th that can go to 2nd based on incentives (one including availability). 

Easy, conditional if McCaffrey hits 1000 yard season both combined passing and rushing of course! Maybe 10 TDs added for a higher pick! Also contract incentives including 2 million per TD pass to Josh Allen:wub:

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

His contract is too rich, especially for a guy who can’t stay on the field.  Not gonna happen.  Spend the money on the OL or another Tight End. 

Do you know how many injured players came back and had uninjured careers? Tons!

Edited by Sherlock Holmes

2 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Easy, conditional if McCaffrey hits 1000 yard season both combined passing and rushing of course! Maybe 10 TDs added for a higher pick!

That was my first thinking. Have to look at his contract that might change my idea. But gut says I would do that. 

edit I think I would do it even with the contract. As that signing and restructure bonus falls off. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/christian-mccaffrey-21749/

Edited by MAJBobby

assuming it fits contract wise and not too much in terms of trade cost, i'd totally want him on our team.  an extra weapon like that with our new WR rental leaving this offseason would be a big get.

11 personnel with him, bease, diggs, davis, and knox is a nightmare for opponents. 

7 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

That was my first thinking. Have to look at his contract that might change my idea. But gut says I would do that. 

edit I think I would do it even with the contract. As that signing and restructure bonus falls off. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/christian-mccaffrey-21749/

Can't justify that money for a high mileage RB...........but if he can be pieced back together he could be a great "slot" type receiver(I'd actually still align him in the backfield mostly for the clean releases).

Then that money........and the idea of a 2023 conditional second round  pick.......... becomes more palatable.

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Can't justify that money for a high mileage RB...........but if he can be pieced back together he could be a great "slot" type receiver(I'd actually still align him in the backfield mostly for the clean releases).

Then that money........and the idea of a 2023 conditional second round  pick.......... becomes more palatable.

Interesting.  I could sign up for that.  A beasley replacement who’s more versatile and better after the catch,  

22 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

His contract is too rich, especially for a guy who can’t stay on the field.  Not gonna happen.  Spend the money on the OL or another Tight End. 

It turns into basically 2 years 20.2 M with 2 additional years at a total of 23.8 with some throw in workout bonuses.  A lot for a running back, but a lot less than the 4yr 64m that they gave him.  

If you figure patterson and edmunds are looking for the 7-9M range his cap hit of like 8+ in 2022 is pretty reasonable.  You could cut beasley and re-up mckenzie for some cost savings to make it work.  He's not a straight slot WR like bease by any means, but you can absolutely use him split out as a weapon and challenging matchup for LBs.  

Obviously availability is an issue - but he would not be getting 400 touches most likely.  Figure a chunk of beasley's that don't go to mckenzie, and the majority of RB targets.  Figure 80 current running back targets, he'd get say 60 - and of beaselys 107 he might get another 50.  Buffalo's leading rusher only has 170 carries, and it moss/breida adds another 120 or so.  Take that 290 + some of allens and you have maybe 350 total carries to go around.  I'd like probably like him to get like half of them.  He'd be ideally more Ekeler or Kamara - not taylor/henry.  

All of this would be highly dependent on asking price, and how his physical goes.

Guys like Fred Taylor, Frank Gore, Matthew Stafford, etc were all once labeled injury prone with a bunch of injuries in a short window.  They went on to prove to be able to say healthy rest of their careers.  So I dont like writing guys off due to injuries if they didn't have injury problems prior.  And EMC has had a healthy college and early career, so I wouldn't just dismiss his ability to stay healthy yet.  Sometimes injuries are just a slew of bad luck.  

That being said, his recent bout with injuries must still be factored in and considered.  If Bills can swing a trade and a reworked contract then I could get behind this.  

But compensation on the trade would have to be reasonable and there would have to be some kind new deal involved.  Maybe we can package Moss and a mid round pick or something.  

Not sure EMC is going to have a big market with the injury bug and contract.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I remember when RBs had trade value.  When we traded away a used-up Simpson in 1978, we got:

1978 2nd round draft pick (DE Scott Hutchinson)

1978 3rd round pick (WR Danny Fulton)

1979 1st round pick (LB Tom Cousineau)

1979 4th round pick (DE Ken Johnson)  (aka Pinto Ron)

1980 2nd round pick (RB Joe Cribbs)

What a great trade for the Bills!  Joe Cribbs was a really talented multipurpose back for us.  And, of course, Cousineau turned into Jim Kelly.

Obviously, there's a durability issue but it's amazing you could potentially get someone of McCaffrey's talent for a 2nd rounder.  Though I wouldn't want his contract.

“Steam Machine” Fulton !!

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills will have the draft capital this year to make a move like this if they want. If not McCaffrey than Barkley or an OL that’s on the outs. 

There is no way the Panthers give him up for a 4th tho like some are suggesting, just to save face. 

My guess is if you see him moved a Conditional 3rd(turns into a 2) a 4th and a late pick 

• Disagree 1

4 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I remember when RBs had trade value.  When we traded away a used-up Simpson in 1978, we got:

1978 2nd round draft pick (DE Scott Hutchinson)

1978 3rd round pick (WR Danny Fulton)

1979 1st round pick (LB Tom Cousineau)

1979 4th round pick (DE Ken Johnson)  (aka Pinto Ron)

1980 2nd round pick (RB Joe Cribbs)

What a great trade for the Bills!  Joe Cribbs was a really talented multipurpose back for us.  And, of course, Cousineau turned into Jim Kelly.

Obviously, there's a durability issue but it's amazing you could potentially get someone of McCaffrey's talent for a 2nd rounder.  Though I wouldn't want his contract.

Trades….

Then there was Dickerson and Herschel walker

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

No!  We don't need to hear anything about you, McCaffrey, and the 'Mile High Club'. 🤨

He'll probably get injured walking off the guddam plane. 😠

Do you guys know how many people have had crazy injuries and come back to play at a Hall of Fame level? TONS!!! Including McCaffrey for the Bills... 

Guys, I only have such vomit in my body...please stop with all the negative McCaffrey hot takes, all we need now is someone to explain how his body is roid infested and will never be the same again:cry:

• Vomit 2
  • Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Do you guys know how many people have had crazy injuries and come back to play at a Hall of Fame level? TONS!!! Including McCaffrey for the Bills... 

Not many RBs make it back and resume playing at a top level.  Gale Sayers came back but wasn't as good.  OJ was never the same after his 1977 injury.  

The biggest consideration however is the salary cap.  Beane's success comes from avoiding expensive long-term commitments, Josh the obvious and necessary exception.  

• Sad 1

He will have a short lived career and in a few years he will be another guy who could have been great if he just stayed healthy.

9 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

He played 58 games.  I do not think you know what that word means.

theprincessbride.gif

He has missed 23 games since 2020... his health is getting worse. His best years are already behind him.

• Vomit 1

46 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Guys, I only have such vomit in my body...please stop with all the negative McCaffrey hot takes, all we need now is someone to explain how his body is roid infested and will never be the same again:cry:

He has lingering issues that never go away for the type of player he is and it's only getting worse each and every season.

• Vomit 1

43 minutes ago, Utah John said:

Not many RBs make it back and resume playing at a top level.  Gale Sayers came back but wasn't as good.  OJ was never the same after his 1977 injury.  

The biggest consideration however is the salary cap.  Beane's success comes from avoiding expensive long-term commitments, Josh the obvious and necessary exception.  

Comparing injuries 50 years ago versus today doesn't work with how much medical science has changed. Heck 30-40 years ago a torn ACL was a career ending injury and now it's almost the norm at this phase.  CMC is 25yrs old and had a rough couple years, the dude is a flat out baller. I'd have no prob with a cap restructure and giving up a 3rd.

Here's his (minor) injury history

Oct 8, 2016 - Non NFL - Inguinal Hip Pull - McCaffrey missed 1 game (vs. Notre Dame).

Sep 20, 2020 - Pedal Ankle (high) Sprain Grade 3 - McCaffrey suffered a right high-ankle sprain during Week 2's loss to the Buccaneers and missed six games

Nov 8, 2020 - Shoulder A/C Joint Sprain - McCaffrey injured his shoulder on the last drive of Week 9's loss to the Chiefs. He missed 4 games

Dec 9, 2020 - Thigh Glute Strain - McCaffrey's thigh tightened up ahead of Week 14 game. He missed 4 games due to that injury.

Sep 23, 2021 - Thigh Hamstring Strain Grade 2 - McCaffrey suffered a strained hamstring in Week 3's Panthers win over the Texans. He missed five games.

Nov 28, 2021- Pedal Ankle Sprain Grade 2 - McCaffrey rolled his left ankle in Week 12's loss to the Dolphins. He was placed on injured reserve Monday and has been ruled out for the remainder of the season.

Source - https://www.draftsharks.com/fantasy/injury-history/christian-mccaffrey/7750

Edited by Real McNasty
Link
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

Comparing injuries 50 years ago versus today doesn't work with how much medical science has changed. Heck 30-40 years ago a torn ACL was a career ending injury and now it's almost the norm at this phase.  CMC is 25yrs old and had a rough couple years, the dude is a flat out baller. I'd have no prob with a cap restructure and giving up a 3rd.

Here's his (minor) injury history

Oct 8, 2016 - Non NFL - Inguinal Hip Pull - McCaffrey missed 1 game (vs. Notre Dame).

Sep 20, 2020 - Pedal Ankle (high) Sprain Grade 3 - McCaffrey suffered a right high-ankle sprain during Week 2's loss to the Buccaneers and missed six games

Nov 8, 2020 - Shoulder A/C Joint Sprain - McCaffrey injured his shoulder on the last drive of Week 9's loss to the Chiefs. He missed 4 games

Dec 9, 2020 - Thigh Glute Strain - McCaffrey's thigh tightened up ahead of Week 14 game. He missed 4 games due to that injury.

Sep 23, 2021 - Thigh Hamstring Strain Grade 2 - McCaffrey suffered a strained hamstring in Week 3's Panthers win over the Texans. He missed five games.

Nov 28, 2021- Pedal Ankle Sprain Grade 2 - McCaffrey rolled his left ankle in Week 12's loss to the Dolphins. He was placed on injured reserve Monday and has been ruled out for the remainder of the season.

Source - https://www.draftsharks.com/fantasy/injury-history/christian-mccaffrey/7750

Constant minor injuries are actually worse then 1 major one.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TBBills said:

Constant minor injuries are actually worse then 1 major one.

His injuries are all different. People need to give the lingering issues a break. He was healthy in college and all his injuries the last couple years are called bad luck. 

He's 25 yrs old and will be fine.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.