#5 Stephenson

foreboding

1 minute ago, BearNorth said:

Once again, the front office made this possible. Roberts and Ray Ray are both former Bills, and among the KO return leaders.

You only have so many roster spots Robert’s was a one trick pony (good one tho) 

remember Andre Robert’s as a WR ??? Dude was terrible so they attempted to try Isaiah on KR bc he could at least come in and make some plays as a WR (which he has done)

now they are trying the same with Stevenson bc of his elite speed. 

11 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Bro....you really bringing a players rookie year up??? He averages 1 fumble per season since. He was a top 3 return guy before his phantom fumble. You'd really prefer Hyde??? Cmon man!!!

Bro you do know Stevenson is a rookie right?  He averaged 1 fumble per season since because we stopped giving him opportunities. He was the reason why we signed Andre Roberts. I’m not saying I trust Stevenson, but McKenzie makes me just as nervous when he returns punts, since he’s been stripped of return duties I’m guessing the coaching staff agrees.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

McKenzie should have never lost returning duties.

McDermott cut his nose off to spite his face and it has hurt the team.

Get McKenzie back there where he belongs ... and where he was among the NFL's best prior to being benched.

Or maybe McDermott gave McKenzie the wake up call he needed.  I think he should be back on return duty if he isn’t taking a lot of WR reps, but I have no problem at all with how McDermott handled the situation. 

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

Right now Stevenson is reminding me of TJ Graham.

Like, how terrible is that. For me to say something like that. What a horrible thing I've said just now.

Don't recall TJ returning kicks, just remember him being a horrible WR.

Time to sit Stephenson. He shouldnt even dress if all the WRs are healthy. I would rather dress an extra lineman or Breida in the playoffs. Hyde can catch punts if needed. Anyone can return kickoffs as badly as Stephenson was yesterday 

32 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Or maybe McDermott gave McKenzie the wake up call he needed.  I think he should be back on return duty if he isn’t taking a lot of WR reps, but I have no problem at all with how McDermott handled the situation. 

Wakeup calls are for HS. Not professionals. 

Did McD bench Allen for his three picks yesterday???

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I'm not sure why this would be necessary.

This Coaching Staff is hurting this team. 

Their lack of snap count and role for McKenzie is baffling. 

And their unconditional love for Beasley is equally as frustrating. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, StHustle said:

Mckenzie had one freak fumble! When is the last time McKenzie got rocked and lost the ball??? I'll wait...

One freak fumble?

McKenzie became available to the Bills on the waiver wire because he fumbled an astonishing 6 times on 24 return opportunities with Denver.

One of the all-time worst seasons by a returner ever.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The kid is a rookie - he has to learn just like all other rookies. Just think about how some of our recent rookies - 1st and 2nd round picks - have performed in their rookie season?   This dude has potential - elite speed.  He’ll get there. 

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Wakeup calls are for HS. Not professionals. 

Did McD bench Allen for his three picks yesterday???

Oh, right!  No 20-something ever needed a wake up call!  Lol 

Also if you’re suggesting that a proven, 4 year starting QB and a bottom of the roster WR/returner are at all comparable, then I don’t know what to tell you.  That’s as weak an argument as I’ve ever seen here. 

Edited by BarleyNY

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

McKenzie should have never lost returning duties.

McDermott cut his nose off to spite his face and it has hurt the team.

Get McKenzie back there where he belongs ... and where he was among the NFL's best prior to being benched.

Did you catch the interview with Jim Kelly where he outright said “I don’t know why he lost the returning job”

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Did you catch the interview with Jim Kelly where he outright said “I don’t know why he lost the returning job”

I did NOT see, nor hear about, this!!  Wow.

3 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

He got planted pretty good by a Falcon player returning the second half kickoff I believe. 

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Same dude Singletary ran over

So by the laws of transitive trigonomic thermodynamics, the clear answer is to put Singletary in to return kicks.

SCIENCE!

16 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Oh, right!  No 20-something ever needed a wake up call!  Lol 

Also if you’re suggesting that a proven, 4 year starting QB and a bottom of the roster WR/returner are at all comparable, then I don’t know what to tell you.  That’s as weak an argument as I’ve ever seen here. 

McKenzie has been in the league for 6 years.  So your first point doesn't make any sense. 

Of course I don't think Allen should be benched. My point is it is stupid to bench a RB or a KR for a muff or a fumble to send a message, just as you wouldn't bench Allen to send a message.  If they are the most qualified to do the job let them do it. 

3 hours ago, streetkings01 said:

McKenzie lost the punt return job his 1st year in Buffalo……16 returns with 2 fumbles…..he had 8 fumbles his rookie year in Denver. McKenzie doesn’t pass the eye test either on punt returns. If you want a punt catcher then put Hyde back there, but let’s not act like McKenzie puts everyone at ease when he’s back returning punts either.

McKenzie is not a very natural catcher of the football........his hand eye coordination is off just enough that he ends up double catching too many footballs..........not as big of an issue in the receiving game when he drops a ball or impales himself on the football with his awkwardness..........but it's very concerning in the return game.

The punt return that he scored on against Miami last year was almost a muff.........had to double catch that one.     For the little bit of impact he was giving them on kicks and punts this year it probably wasn't worth the stress to McDermott.

7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

McKenzie is not a very natural catcher of the football........his hand eye coordination is off just enough that he ends up double catching too many footballs..........not as big of an issue in the receiving game when he drops a ball or impales himself on the football with his awkwardness..........but it's very concerning in the return game.

The punt return that he scored on against Miami last year was almost a muff.........had to double catch that one.     For the little bit of impact he was giving them on kicks and punts this year it probably wasn't worth the stress to McDermott.

But having a guy in Stevenson who drops the ball routinely as well and then runs into his own blockers on every kickoff return is??

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

But having a guy in Stevenson who drops the ball routinely as well and then runs into his own blockers on every kickoff return is??

Stevenson had 1 career fumble in college and pro football games combined prior to Sunday.

Not saying he's a great option.........despite his strong showing in preseason I wasn't overly impressed with his punt receiving in practice setting this summer and honestly thought he'd be IR'd all season..........but ball security has proven to be a serious issue with McKenzie.......and over a much larger sample size......so it's not the least bit surprising they have tried someone else.

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Stevenson had 1 career fumble in college and pro football games combined prior to Sunday.

Not saying he's a great option.........despite his strong showing in preseason I wasn't overly impressed with his punt receiving in practice setting this summer and honestly thought he'd be IR'd all season..........but ball security has proven to be a serious issue with McKenzie.......and over a much larger sample size......so it's not the least bit surprising they have tried someone else.

Maybe, but the dude dropped two punts yesterday alone.

His proclivity to literally run into his own blockers on kickoff returns is a far bigger concern considering it usually leaves him open to big hits by the opposing team...

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

McKenzie has been in the league for 6 years.  So your first point doesn't make any sense. 

Of course I don't think Allen should be benched. My point is it is stupid to bench a RB or a KR for a muff or a fumble to send a message, just as you wouldn't bench Allen to send a message.  If they are the most qualified to do the job let them do it. 

This is Mackenzie’s 5th year.  

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

His proclivity to literally run into his own blockers on kickoff returns is a far bigger concern considering it usually leaves him open to big hits by the opposing team...

Word.  I’d have Isaiah or Hyde back there.  No way I’d trust this kid after what we saw on sunday.  That was one of the most cringeworthy performances I’ve ever seen.  Me, every time  he touched the ball: Jim Carrey Reaction GIF

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

There is no maybe about it.

As noted earlier in the thread McKenzie once had a season where he fumbled 6 times in 24 returns..........and had fumbled twice in the preseason that year as well.

It was an epic amount of fumbles.........cost him his roster spot altogether in Denver.

He came to Buffalo and promptly fumbled twice in 16 return chances and lost that job again.

He's a known commodity as a fumbler.    

Maybe Stevenson will turn out to be unreliable too but McKenzie absolutely is.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.