Josh 17 rtg: just wowww !

Italian Bills

I know… the snow was a clear factor, but a 17 rtg on Josh is something I wouldn’t never have saw in his career. 11-26, 120 yds, 0 td and 3 int… unbelievable, really unbelievable. 

Fortunately we had, for the first time, a great running game from him and Davin, Josh is a warrior and today we saw why. 

Now let’s finish the job next sunday, we have the division in our hands, we can’t fail. I’m also pretty sure Josh will have a 100+ rtg game. 

ps kudos to both defense and OL. B+

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Italian Bills said:

I know… the snow was a clear factor, but a 17 rtg on Josh is something I wouldn’t never have saw in his career. 11-26, 120 yds, 0 td and 3 int… unbelievable, really unbelievable. 

Fortunately we had, for the first time, a great running game from him and Davin, Josh is a warrior and today we saw why. 

Now let’s finish the job next sunday, we have the division in our hands, we can’t fail. I’m also pretty sure Josh will have a 100+ rtg game. 

I don't know what took so long for us to have Davin run the ball.

• Haha (+1) 6

Somebody needed  to tell him that the winds weren’t 50 miles an hour and he didn’t have to throw it like a bullet every darn play. Yes it was cold but some of those throws were so hard the guys just couldn’t get a handle on them. We also got away from taking what the D gives you that worked so well last week. All the runs made me nervous, he’s going to get hurt eventually. Still we won and it wasn’t really ever in doubt, not every game is going to be perfect.

Just now, The Wiz said:

2 tip drill INTs and one were it looked like Beasley cut his route short.

It was an ugly passing game for sure but they still did what they needed to get it done.

The Beasley play he got knocked off of his route over 10 yards up field, that was illegal contact and it should have been called back…

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 6

1 minute ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Somebody needed  to tell him that the winds weren’t 50 miles an hour and he didn’t have to throw it like a bullet every darn play. Yes it was cold but some of those throws were so hard the guys just couldn’t get a handle on them. We also got away from taking what the D gives you that worked so well last week.

I am convinced this is a trend for Josh in bad weather games. Can someone point this out to our QB coach or to Jordan Palmer?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Dislike 1

14 minutes ago, Italian Bills said:

2 of his picks were tipped in the air. The stats are worse than he actually played

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Sort of a weird game by him. Passed really well at times (including on 3rd down). But I did notice that he basically ignored all the underneath stuff. Knox would go out for little

5-yard routes, would be wide open, and JA just wouldn’t throw the ball. i think he was looking for the bigger plays all day. 

Not sure about the big play, but i agree that he missed many short throws that were out there. Was him maybe too cocky ? Too confident about the game ? Just thinking…it seem he played loose.. not too focused on the passing game. 

What QB rating accounts for his rushing TDs and penalizes all the QBs with 0 on that stat line? He didn’t have a great day, but if they passed for those TDs and had more of a passing offense in the 2nd half, his QBR would look much better. It’s just a number and an imperfect way to rate QBs.

Edited by Andy1
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Italian Bills said:

Not sure about the big play, but i agree that he missed many short throws that were out there. Was him maybe too cocky ? Too confident about the game ? Just thinking…it seem he played loose.. not too focused on the passing game. 

Mostly in the second half and after he threw his picks, I noticed he had guys open underneath— and he would instead just take off and scramble for a few yards. I don’t know if that was him being gun shy, or just knowing we beat these guys today if we just move the chains and get out of our own way. 

Maybe Daboll told him “bombs away” so he’d look great for his head coaching opportunities. How else do you explain all the cutesy play calls when simple would’ve been more effective?

Of course I’m only have kidding, but it didn’t seem like the Bills had respect for their opponent today, they just thought they’d throw all over them and call whatever they wanted. Should’ve learned after game 1 of the season, we’re not that team. Yet. 

11 minutes ago, Andy1 said:

What QB rating accounts for his rushing TDs and penalizes all the QBs with 0 on that stat line? He didn’t have a great day, but if they passed for those TDs and had more of a passing offense in the 2nd half, his QBR would look much better. It’s just a number and an imperfect way to rate QBs.

Keep hoping he is going to learn at times you need to take what is given and keep moving the chains. He did it in the first half last week but is now back to forcing it. The kid will be deadly if he can ever figure it out.

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Yea by far the worst game of his career. Gameplan and many drops play a role, but he wasn’t sharp at all today. He has a boat load of INTs the last 2 months of the season and has 15 on the year. 

Ha! He still won me my Fantasy league for the second year in a row!  🏆 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

I'm concerned with his passing today, I don't how you can't be. I'm usually more of a Josh defender, but today was not good. It has been amazing to me how teams can shut our passing game down at times. Something is out of sync still. Thought we'd get on a roll and had figured it out coming in. Truth is we are still unreliable throwing against certain schemes. I know some of you want to get the pom poms out. I just can't, it was disappointing and I won't believe we can perform consistently enough throwing it until I see us do it. Sorry, but it was a very poor, disappointing and concerning passing effort.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Keep hoping he is going to learn at times you need to take what is given and keep moving the chains. He did it in the first half last week but is now back to forcing it. The kid will be deadly if he can ever figure it out.

I'm slightly worried that he keeps returning to forcing it. He seems to pick up the best way forward but not sustain it. How much time does he need to settle in this form of play? Last week he was a £258m man; this week it seems like we've overpaid. The inconsistency in the passing game needs to be sorted out and quickly.

Fantastic on the ground, though.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

In my opinion, he was  throwing the fastball too much for the conditions. He just needed to take 20% off his throws to make it easier on the receivers. I also don’t think he really respected the Falcons D. He was more cautious against NE last week and took the easy stuff or threw the ball away. Same for Daboll though calling those 2 trick plays in the 1st half.

• Like (+1) 4

40 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Somebody needed  to tell him that the winds weren’t 50 miles an hour and he didn’t have to throw it like a bullet every darn play. Yes it was cold but some of those throws were so hard the guys just couldn’t get a handle on them. We also got away from taking what the D gives you that worked so well last week. All the runs made me nervous, he’s going to get hurt eventually. Still we won and it wasn’t really ever in doubt, not every game is going to be perfect.

The Beasley play he got knocked off of his route over 10 yards up field, that was illegal contact and it should have been called back…

Yup. Diggs throw should have been a TD and Beasley got mugged downfield. Terrible missed call. The redzone pick was inexcusable.  Just throw it away. Im not convinced he was even trying to throw it to Diggs in the back of the endzone. Looked like he just threw it up to Beasley in a crowd. Just can't happen. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

More doom and gloom, per usual. There are very few, if any, QB’s in this league who can shake off that first half and literally drop the shoulder and will his team back to victory. He will never be perfect, like any QB ever, but I will take an angry Josh Allen in the second half every. *****. Time. 

Edited by MarkMiller
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, MarkMiller said:

More doom and gloom, per usual. There are very few, if any, QB’s in this league who can shake off that first half and literally drop the shoulder and will his team back to victory. He will never be perfect, like any QB ever, but I will take an angry Josh Allen in the second half every. *****. Time. 

Okay, but you can't ignore the fact that most QBs in the league, most of which are nowhere near as good as Josh, wouldn't have gotten into that situation in the first place. That was some garbage quarterbacking and he'd be the first to tell you that.

• Disagree 3

1 minute ago, MPT said:

Okay, but you can't ignore the fact that most QBs in the league, most of which are nowhere near as good as Josh, wouldn't have gotten into that situation in the first place. That was some garbage quarterbacking and he'd be the first to tell you that.

And against a better team we do not get out of it. But, Colts aside, Josh has done pretty well against the frontrunners this year despite the plethora of narrow defeats.

Meh.

This won’t be Josh’s last sub 20 passer rating game. Guarantee that. But, Josh is not a one trick pony and the Bills don’t win this game without the work he did with his legs. 

But nobody should be shocked are mad when these games happen. It is what it is and I fully expect them. Could have been worst like the Jacksonville game where he didn’t do crap through the air or the ground.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

And against a better team we do not get out of it. But, Colts aside, Josh has done pretty well against the frontrunners this year despite the plethora of narrow defeats.

No argument there. I'll debate his MVP credentials with anyone. But no QB is perfect and I don't mind calling him out when he plays like a rookie.

1 hour ago, Italian Bills said:

We're getting Davin Cook next year?!?! Cool!!! Get er done Beane!!!!

21 minutes ago, MarkMiller said:

Even Sanches was like “Oh, he’s playing angry now”

Must have been something wrong with the ball today!

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

2 tip drill INTs and one were it looked like Beasley cut his route short.

It was an ugly passing game for sure but they still did what they needed to get it done.

This.  He was dealing on the first drive.  Three drops.  The Diggs drop was particularly egregious.  Two INTs—particularly the pick to start the second half—we’re bad luck.  The third appeared to be a miscommunications with Beasley.  I’m not worried about Allen in the least. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

I'm slightly worried that he keeps returning to forcing it. He seems to pick up the best way forward but not sustain it. How much time does he need to settle in this form of play? Last week he was a £258m man; this week it seems like we've overpaid. The inconsistency in the passing game needs to be sorted out and quickly.

Fantastic on the ground, though.

There's always going to be an inherent part of Josh who drifts back to hero ball. Last week he was smart, disciplined and took what the D gave him. There's only one final part of his game that needs to be solidified.  And that's the mental part.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Everybody is quick to defend their own guy. We did it against KC in the rain last year it is what it is. 

Josh might have been the best football player on the field today. But he wasn’t the best QB. 

It happens. Got the W. On to NJ. 

1 hour ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Yeah, you make great points.   We finally have a franchise qb, why can’t we try to protect him more in games like this.?   Daboll came out throwing ; I mean throwing to Dawkins on first and goal from the one when we have a rb capable of taking that in.  It’s that kind of stuff that will get you beaten by a GOOD TEAM , PLAYOFF TEAM, or worse yet , lose your franchise qb for a year with an acl or other injury.  

They completely got away from what had just worked well against the pats!  Mckenzie had few targets if any.   It’s the inconsistency of game plans that is maddening at times.   This type of first half against a team in the playoffs and you usually lose.  When you have 4 turnovers , give up a defensive score , and score after the other team ( stats this year according to nfl network show team that scores FIRST WINS almost 75% of the time !) , the odds of coming back or winning are really against you.  Why we kept avoiding the run until the third int is crazy, but that’s how Daboll operates.  

Josh was having a bad game. Why it took so long to run more , or start off trying to run when the falcons are 31 st against the run I think is just not good coaching.  Luckily, the Falcons head coach out dimmed Daboll ! 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.