Josh's greatest run?

Dan Darragh

I'm debating which was better, Josh's 4th down run in the fourth quarter against NE or his 4th down - fumbled the snap- recovered the fumble but got stopped - second effort bust through the DLs run against Dallas on Thanksgiving in 2019.

What do you think?

(Honorable mention - his "leap the linebacker" run for a first down against Minny in his rookie year)

Yesterdays run was his 2nd best run ever imo.  Based on how important the play was it may be the best. 

But the double choke slam run……How can anyone beat that run?  It’s probably my favorite play in the history of football tbh

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

I always like the one where he stiff armed Van Noy last year against the Dolphins and dropped him right on his arse.

Speaking of this… did anyone see Josh split Collins and Van Noy at one point during the game and then look Van Noy up and down with a little smirk. 

It cracked me up. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Dan Darragh said:

I'm debating which was better, Josh's 4th down run in the fourth quarter against NE or his 4th down - fumbled the snap- recovered the fumble but got stopped - second effort bust through the DLs run against Dallas on Thanksgiving in 2019.

What do you think?

(Honorable mention - his "leap the linebacker" run for a first down against Minny in his rookie year)

Without question Dallas.  That was super human right there.  Even Ryan Tannehill could have made the same 4th down run yesterday that Josh did.  But I don’t think there is another QB in the NFL with the combo of the instincts, athleticism, drive, strength, heart, and fight that Josh possessed to make that 4th down like that in Dallas.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Dan Darragh said:

What do you think?

I mean they're two very different runs, the Dallas one is Josh just having a dominating will and refusing to let the play go wrong, this one is him just being a physical freak and making Pats defenders look slow.

I like when he grabbed the Rams defender by the face mask and used him as a blocker. 

But I think that the one yesterday for real Bills fans was much more gratifying than the Minn run or even the Dallas one. Both of those were more eye popping, but yesterday was against NE and it meant more. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

I'd side with the Dallas run, because of the National Spotlight and really was this Bill's team / regime coming out party.

However.. not to be a debbie downer (as I am still riding the euphoric high from yesterday's game).. but the one thing that concerns me with JA17's amazing skill set is his inability to convert QB sneaks on a regular basis.  Not sure if it is the OL or his inability to find a crease... but with his big body, desire, etc.. you would think he should be a lock on every QB sneak.  

Go Bills!

30 minutes ago, Dan Darragh said:

What do you think?

I’m suffering from recency bias so I’ll go with NE.  But the run against Dallas was absolutely huge and I think the win helped give the Bills confidence to make the playoffs and have a breakout year the next season.  

27 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Speaking of this… did anyone see Josh split Collins and Van Noy at one point during the game and then look Van Noy up and down with a little smirk. 

It cracked me up. 

Yup. I had to replay it and literally LOL’d. 🤣

• Awesome! (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Here you go.   Twenty minutes of Josh running during his first three seasons.   And this doesn't include scrambles where he ultimately threw the ball.   

I love the terminator reference in that song and it was perfect for Allens run on  Thanksgiving.

'It can't be reasoned with, it can't be bargained with. It doesn't feel pity of remorse or fear and it absolutely will not stop. Ever. Until you are dead"

First off GREAT QUESTION thanks for starting the thread. I would go Dallas NE Vikings but am ok with any order. 

the thing about yesterday’s run was how totally dead the play looked at first - two defenders in ideal position to stop him short. I thought he would lower his shoulder and come up short but was as surprised as both NE defenders when he chose a finesse option I had not spotted. 

If you ignore all context and just name his best play, without hesitation it is the Minnesota hurdle. I believe that will go down as the greatest individual play of his career, passing or running (again, if you ignore context... the 4th and 1 conversion yesterday was a bigger moment but not a more impressive play). He hurdled a 6'5 LB to convert a 3rd and 10. I can't imagine anything close to that has ever been done by a QB in the NFL. It's a play that symbolizes everything that makes Allen elite - athleticism, understanding of game situation, willingness to put it all on the line for his team. The play itself has become an icon in WNY and Bills fandom everywhere. Depictions of it are used as bumper stickers, shirts, online profile pictures, you name it. It's the one play where I can say Josh Allen did something no one has ever seen before and maybe never will again.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

14 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

What do you think?

I am so sad they didn’t rule he got the first down at the end of the titans game because that would’ve been my favorite and he was literally an inch short 

• Like (+1) 3

15 hours ago, Captain_Quint said:

I like when he grabbed the Rams defender by the face mask and used him as a blocker. 

But I think that the one yesterday for real Bills fans was much more gratifying than the Minn run or even the Dallas one. Both of those were more eye popping, but yesterday was against NE and it meant more. 

this

37 minutes ago, Bleed Bills Blue said:

Great memories, all. But what really excites me is the thought that his greatest run hasn't been made yet.

and this!

I don’t think some of you are truly appreciating the New England run.  The hesitation move slowed the defender down just enough to get by him with JC Jackson perfectly positioned to make the play only to have Allen make a slick crossover like move that Juked JC Jackson so badly that he completely whiffed and made him hit the other pursuing defender while Allen scoots by for the critical first down.   Considering the importance and the degree of absurdity and difficulty of that run, I would say that run is my favorite.

Only a handful of QB’s, if that could have made that play.

• Like (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, Magox said:

I don’t think some of you are truly appreciating the New England run.  The hesitation move slowed the defender down just enough to get by him with JC Jackson perfectly positioned to make the play only to have Allen make a slick crossover like move that Juked JC Jackson so badly that he completely whiffed and made him hit the other pursuing defender while Allen scoots by for the critical first down.   Considering the importance and the degree of absurdity and difficulty of that run, I would say that run is my favorite.

Only a handful of QB’s, if that could have made that play.

Absolutely.  That was was very Barry Sanderisque !!!!!  Go Bills

18 hours ago, Captain_Quint said:

I'm having fun re-watching all these, our QB is a Bad Ass

Youtube

• Agree 1

Honorable mention his rookie year turning Kiko Alonso totally around and using him as a lead blocker.

So many great runs for Allen  over the last four years.

I think the next one on the bucket list for Allen is breaking a 50 yard touchdown. He’s been closed a couple times if he just gets maybe one more block. Or if he can bust through on a quarterback sneak which he has come close to a couple times as well.

Hard to say if this most recent run against the patriots or the one from 2019 against the Cowboys is his best. But those are definitely number one and number two for me.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.