OK, armchair analysts: How do we fix this offense?

Just in Atlanta

No. 1 in least yards allowed. No. 1 for least points against. No. 4 in turnovers.

Despite the whining about this defense being soft, we just held the Patriots to one touchdown. That one TD was a run in which Poyer overcommitted to one side. This defense is actually historically good in a number of ways, with a penchant for getting pushed a bit by power run teams. 

We should have smacked the Patriots by 14 points easily. Mac Jones threw three passes. The Bills are simply way more talented. And, yet, we got whipped by a team we knew was going to run and we couldn't score in the redone save one time. 

The problem clearly is the offense. 

I watch Josh in the pocket and he amazes. Stands tall. Solid mechanics. Makes any throw. Escapability. Grit. Passion. Size. And physical toughness. He literally has it all. 

We have a tendency to romanticize last year. There were rough spots for sure. But most games this offense was a damn video game. It was historic. This was at least in part thanks to the now-maligned Daboll. 

This year, we have: A top 3 WR1 in Diggs - such an instinctive natural receiver. He's Randy Moss-esque. 

A top 3 slot receiver: Beasley just gets open. He catches everything. And he fights for the YAC. 

But, yes, watching McDaniels/Belichick call runs compared to us is night and day. And we have no rhythm, no push, we struggle in the red zone, and I have no faith we'll find any magic when we're down in the 4th. That last one is the biggest bummer. 

So, what's changed? And how can we improve this so we can at least make a Wild Card?

---

PS: Please no vapid "Fire Daboll / McD sucks" comments and please offer an actual fix. 

(EDIT)

Edited by Just in Atlanta
  • Like (+1) 3

• Just in Atlanta changed the title to OK, armchair analysts: How do we fix this offense?
1 minute ago, Just in Atlanta said:

No. 1 in least yards allowed. No. 1 for least points against. No. 4 in turnovers.

Despite the whining about this defense being soft, we just held the Patriots to one touchdown. That one TD was a run in which Poyer overcommitted to one side. This defense is actually historically good in a number of ways, with a penchant for getting pushed a bit by power run teams. 

We should have smacked the Patriots by 14 points easily. Mac Jones threw three passes. The Bills are simply way more talented. And, yet, we got whipped by a team we knew was going to run and we couldn't score in the redone save one time. 

The problem clearly is the offense. 

I watch Josh in the pocket and he amazes. Stands tall. Solid mechanics. Makes any throw. Escapability. Grit. Passion. Size. And physical toughness. He literally has it all. 

We have a tendency to romanticize last year. There were rough spots for sure. But most games this offense was a damn video game. It was historic. 

This year, we have: A top 3 WR1 in Diggs - such an instinctive natural receiver. He's Randy Moss-esque. 

A top 3 slot receiver: Beasley just gets open. He catches everything. And he fights for the YAC. 

But, we have no rhythm, no push, we struggle in the red zone, and I have no faith we'll find any magic when we're down in the 4th. That last one is the biggest bummer. 

So, what's changed? And how can we improve this so we can at least make a Wild Card?

---

PS: Please no vapid "Fire Daboll / McD sucks" comments and please offer an actual fix. 

I think we’re too reverent to Beasley and Sanders.

I think those two have faded down the stretch here, and need Davis and McKenzie rotating in half the time and taking snaps away from them.

We have no presnap motion, no jet sweeps, no misdirection, no two backs in the backfield, we don’t roll the pocket.

We don’t seem to have a good hot read for blitzes. There is never a dump off available. 

We can’t call a slant to save our lives even with Diggs. 

We don’t run the ball straight forward, instead it’s always some delayed handoff or gimmick formation.

We have no NFL caliber Tight End outside of Knox. 

Allen presses a lot and he took a horrible sack in the red zone that cost the Bills. He had time tonight.

We don’t control the tempo at all, speed up or slow down. How are we getting plays off with 0-1 seconds left on the play clock?

Why is Zack Moss STILL GETTING red zone work? Why the hell is he still on this team? 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

We can do literally one thing with Moss - run up the middle for two yards. If he bounces outside, he's got a TD there. He needs to go. 

Singletary isn't great but he has shown he can rip off decent runs. 

Daboll needs to be fired. There's no reason to be running out this bland, vanilla offense every single week and expecting to get by on sheer talent. No motion, no sweeps, no play action, nothing. 

• Like (+1) 2

Fire Daboll. The guy calls jet sweeps every 5 games. Completely abandons the QB runs for multiple games at a time. Doesnt ever design a game plan to get his QB in a rhythm to start the game. You have Beasley, Diggs and Sanders; why cant Daboll design a drive or two to get Josh into rhythm. He truly sucks. 

• Like (+1) 2

We were successful running with McCoy out of the shotgun.  Either adapt that or throw out the line and get some big agile guys for a zone run scheme. 

If Daboll can’t do that, fire him.  Josh is good enough to win without him 

• Like (+1) 1

Bad offensive line.  Need better talent.   They can not open up holes to run through.  Get beat by speed rushers.  Are not physical.   Reliving the Pittsburgh game.   Quicker patterns.  More drag routes.  Speed runs to the outside.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Until we fix the line this off-season, my thoughts on our run game is that we should run more with pulling guards. We cannot really move a dline and run it up the gut ,but I've seen us do better when we pull and run a little wider. I know our RB aren't the fastest,but Devin and Brieta should be able to do better if we utilize pulling by our guards. 

• Agree 1

Just now, Nextmanup said:

Tonight, having a different OC would have been a good start.

We didn't throw it nearly as much as we should have (even with 30 passes) and Daboll's play calling all night long, in all kinds of situations, seemed off.

With Allen at QB1 I agree, Jones was obviously limited, but Allen could have played semi normal.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Billznut said:

The Bills will have a new offensive OC next year.  McD wants to be able to run the ball decently next year.  I don’t blame him. Short of reaching the Super Bowl which right now looks impossible, Daboll won’t be back. 

Beane has to commit to make that happen.....  McD does not have the balls to do it himself.

• Disagree 1

Just now, Toyo321 said:

Beane has to commit to make that happen.....  McD does not have the balls to do it himself.

McD runs this organization. Not Beane. Do people in 2021 not actually realize this? Do you actually think Beane has the power to fire McD?  Anyone who thinks that is insane. McD runs this franchise until Terry decides he doesn’t. 

13 minutes ago, Simon said:

Williams, Feliciano and Dawkins all regressed badly, Ford didn't progress and Beane didn't keep enough rabbits in the hat to overcome all 4 setbacks.

Pretty much this. Infixable in the middle of the season. Can’t have 4 OL be bad and win games.

Running game was just awful tonite.  Moss is not an NFL RB, has no burst vision or wiggle.  Terrible 3rd round pick.  Offense has been out of sync most of the year.  Definitely need upgrades across the O line.  And at RB.  Don't have the juice this season.  Josh playing his ass off.  But need better talent all around him.  And have to be tougher stopping the run.  Edmonds over pursued all nite.  Belichik knew what he was doing against this version of the Bills.  Beane really has to look at this roster in the offseason and tear it down in several places to get better.  

• Like (+1) 1

We have fixed it several times this year and then immediately unfixed it the following week.

1) McKenzie jet sweeps

2) Breida outside runs

3) Moss inactive

4) Pass more from under center than from shotgun

Do those four things and change literally nothing else and we are a top 10 offense. Tonight's offensive showing told me Daboll has learned nothing. I bet next week against Tampa we suddenly go back to what works, and if we win we will go right back to empty shotgun and Moss runs inside the 10 the following week. Round and around we go.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

All 3 running backs are garbage. The OL is an embarrassment. How does Bobby Johnson collect a paycheck. Knox is starting to regress to the "drop" version. Zero TE2 on the roster. Daboll has been off since his grandparents passed. We should've scored at least 3 times in the first half. Beane better pull his head out.

• Like (+1) 1

Everyone wants to blame the running game, which was equally pitiful last year.  If anything, this year there has been more of a commitment to at least attempt to run the football.  Allen was able to make up for a lack of running game last year and the offense was still able to produce at a much higher and consistent level.  

IMO Allen is just not playing as well as he did last year.  

Edited by RoscoeParrish
  • Like (+1) 1

Stop trying to commit to a running game that doesn't work. Those runs inside the 15 yard line were killing me. We actually threw well into the wind. I told my friend in the 4th quarter "I don't wanna see another 3 yard running play. Just throw the freaking ball". Daboll is a problem. It's not all on him though. Diggs dropped a TD, Knox had a bit of the dropsies again

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ClemsonBills said:

Can’t run the ball. Balance is crucial. Makes it harder to game plan 

I honestly again think we tried to run the ball too much lol they did not trust Allen to throw the ball into the wind until we were forced to. It’s just throwing downs away at this point 

1 minute ago, Buffalo03 said:

Stop trying to commit to a running game that doesn't work. Those runs inside the 15 yard line were killing me. We actually threw well into the wind. I told my friend in the 4th quarter "I don't wanna see another 3 yard running play. Just throw the freaking ball". Daboll is a problem. It's not all on him though. Diggs dropped a TD, Knox had a bit of the dropsies again

Still think that final red zone 1st down run was to control the clock and it went bad 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I honestly again think we tried to run the ball too much lol they did not trust Allen to throw the ball into the wind until we were forced to. It’s just throwing downs away at this point 

Still think that final red zone 1st down run was to control the clock and it went bad 

Yeah, I thought the same but we were moving the ball threw the air. I think it's more Zack Moss is an issue. Just cut him. Even though Singletary isn't great, you can tell he runs harder. I've always gotten the impression with Moss that he juat doesn't care. That's what it feels like every time I see him run. Singletary might only get 4 yards but he'll drag tacklers for a few yards. Moss just kinda runs into a lineman and goes down

12 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

We ran too much, and ran too many plays out of shotgun. Josh needed to be under center more and use play action & designed roll outs. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.