Beasley’s future

Virgil

2 minutes ago, BillnutinHouston said:

It's evident to me that Beasley's COVID stuff HAS bothered GR, particularly the afternoon hosts, and that's likely why they were compelled to discuss it. 

If the coach/GM have to ask him to get off social media, then it obviously bothers them. Not the covid stuff specifically, but just being a negative distraction in general.

I think both Beasley and Sanders will be gone. They're on the wrong side of 30 and it's time to get some youth at the position that will be around to gel with Josh for 4-5 years. It's a juicy WR FA class next year, will Godwin slip away from the Bucs?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DasNootz said:

He's a great possession receiver, knows how to get open and knows where the yard to get is... that said, I think he's replaceable and will likely be a cap casualty.  With Diggs, Sanders, Gabe and Knox - another slot guy will be able to get open.

Replaceable by an inferior talent doesn’t help anyone. Beasley the best slot receiver in the AFC, and Josh's safety net when he’s flushed due to turnstiles dressing with O-line #s. Covid issues not withstanding, this guy is necessary to winning games.

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Well you are assuming that Beasley will be the same quality player to replace and that the slot WR will still be as important in what they want to do in 2022.

I think he's not looked as quick or fast this year.    Still good......but maybe not so good that you want to keep running 3-4 WR sets as your primary offense.

Exactly this!  

I expect that all things considered, it will be “thank you for all of your contributions and we’ve decided to go in a new direction.”

8 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Replaceable by an inferior talent doesn’t help anyone. Beasley the best slot receiver in the AFC, and Josh's safety net when he’s flushed due to turnstiles dressing with O-line #s. Covid issues not withstanding, this guy is necessary to winning games.

Tyreek Hill disagrees with this assessment.   

The savings doesn't come in a vacuum. If we save 6-8 million by letting McKenzie, Davis and Sanders take that role, it frees up $6-8 million to put in the offensive line, which makes every one else on that side of the ball better too.  We have an abundance at WR right now, it's not sustainable to keep everyone.

Edited by DasNootz

I like the way you framed this Virgil, does anyone else have his skill set?  Is that skill set easy to find and replace?  I was so annoyed by Danny Amendola, and then somewhat by Beasley when he was a Cowboy, I mean how hard is it really to provide  an almost guaranteed 3-8 yards?  Really hard it turns out, or we would see more of it across the league.  It's such a luxury to have that option.  I think the question is whether he can keep it up as he takes on hits and ages but I would want to see a significant decline before letting him walk.  That said, the Bills front office tends to do just fine without my advice...  

• Like (+1) 3

Seems like Marquez Stevenson is next man up and has some of the speed promise. Between him and Davis I think we are deep enough at wr to withstand a combination of sanders/McKenzie/beasley leaving. I also assume we can find cheap replacements who would like to work with JA.

I do not think we are deep enough in the interior line to withstand injuries and/or Morse leaving so I would rather spend a 2nd round pick there if the value lines up. I think the first round pick will be on the defensive side of the ball, and that will probably continue to be a trend with this group at the helm.

Edited by 4BillsintheBurgh
  • Like (+1) 1

I don't like his vaccination position, but I think I have to agree with @Virgil.  It seems like he wouldn't be that hard to replace, but has he says, nobody's shown they can do it.  I think we ride out the contract to the end and he goes after 2022... either retires or isn't re-signed.

For me its one of those situation where I won't be too sad to see him go nor will I be sad if they find a way to keep him.  I don't think he will retire here.  Its a numbers game and the Bills are starting to do the right thing by letting guys go that may have some left in the tank but its just time.  I think Beasley is struggling but I think that is mostly his injury.  He was dogging it pretty hard in the Jax game.

At the end of the day the Bills need to manage the cap.  He is one of those players that the Bills can do well with but can also live without I think.  Similar to moving on from Brown this past year.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

I was listening to WGR today and they talked about Beasley’s contract being free to void after this season and thinking McKenzie filling that role.  This got me thinking…..

To me, Beasley had proven to be incomparable when it comes to finding open spaces in the zone and when our offense if clicking, Allen’s best 3rd down option.  On broken plays, he also finds open space and has incredibly reliable hands.  When we brought Sanders in, many of these traits were supposedly the same for him, but I haven’t seen that so far.  Also, I haven’t seen anything from McKenzie to make me think he could fill that role if Beasley left.  

Now, I don’t know how much all of that Covid stuff bothered the front office or his relationships with the team, but he seems to be a staple to this offense and I would love to see him finish his career here.  Diggs, Beasley, and Davis is a solid starting 3 to me.  

However, this is my perception and I’m curious to hear others 

I think it "says it all" for the coach's belief in McKenzie that they

1) let Beasley with a broken leg play ahead of McKenzie.  McDermott expressed that they had faith in McKenzie to run all the routes Beasley can run, and then....

2) let Beasley with some sort of severe rib contusion (could even be possible broken ribs) play ahead of McKenzie vs. Jax and the Jets.

In an interview, Taron Johnson said that trying to cover Beasley in practice was like a "cheat code" to make him a better nickel corner because Beasley can see what the coverage is doing so quickly and react.  He didn't say in so many words that McKenzie can't carry Beasley's jock,  but he said something to the effect that McKenzie's thing is "speed mostly".

Sanders and Josh aren't on the same page with those routes as far as I can tell.

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I hope they bring him back on a reasonable deal. Sanders us fast but Beasley is quick. He is an incredible asset and doesn't show any signs of slowing down. 

I don't see McKenzie filling that role. He doesn't have the hands or the route running ability Beasley has. 

I think they’re equally quick with McKenzie being faster. Beasley just has the innate ability to know how to set his man up, feel the defender and react accordingly.  Dunno if many wrs available have the feel for the slot that Beasley has.

I really hope we keep Beasley. Maybe at a reduced salary, but he’s only 1 year removed from being 1st team all pro.  Might have to let the nfl name his price.  Let him hit the market with hopes he allows us the chance to match/counter.  

Josh trusts him. That matters. 

• Like (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

It would be a mistake to not resign if he can still play. As mentioned, he’s the offenses best 3rd down option 

Agreed.  I look though at the fact that Beane gets paid to know not just what he has, but more importantly, what he will have looking forward.  We will see where he comes down on that soon enough.  

Unfortunately for Cole, numbers are chasing him right now.  Be it cap space, age, or even allocated future roster spots or roles (Davis), his future may already be dictated.  

1 hour ago, Virgil said:

I was listening to WGR today and they talked about Beasley’s contract being free to void after this season and thinking McKenzie filling that role.  This got me thinking…..

To me, Beasley had proven to be incomparable when it comes to finding open spaces in the zone and when our offense if clicking, Allen’s best 3rd down option.  On broken plays, he also finds open space and has incredibly reliable hands.  When we brought Sanders in, many of these traits were supposedly the same for him, but I haven’t seen that so far.  Also, I haven’t seen anything from McKenzie to make me think he could fill that role if Beasley left.  

Now, I don’t know how much all of that Covid stuff bothered the front office or his relationships with the team, but he seems to be a staple to this offense and I would love to see him finish his career here.  Diggs, Beasley, and Davis is a solid starting 3 to me.  

Beasley is a receiving genius, a very capable guy who will retire a Bill with a SB ring+ if all is right in the world.  

The fact that we have ongoing discussions on how good this guy actually is shows how far we have come as a franchise. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I think they’re equally quick with McKenzie being faster. Beasley just has the innate ability to know how to set his man up, feel the defender and react accordingly.  Dunno if many wrs available have the feel for the slot that Beasley has.

I really hope we keep Beasley. Maybe at a reduced salary, but he’s only 1 year removed from being 1st team all pro.  Might have to let the nfl name his price.  Let him hit the market with hopes he allows us the chance to match/counter.  

Josh trusts him. That matters. 

I dont see the route running ability from McKenzie but to be fair, he hasn't really been given the chance to play WR. He is used as a gadget guy moslty so its hard to judge his WR skills. After a massive game last year against Miami, he disappeared in the playoffs when most of our WR group was hurt. That was really odd.

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

I think there’s still a huge difference between what Beasley brings in the slot versus McKenzie.  He might be a step slower since the injury but he knows exactly where to find openings in a defense and usually is reliable. We probably don’t win the game against Miami without Beasley playing as well as he did.   I do think he’s much less effective when injured.

McKenzie has a lot of potential and I feel the offense could utilize him more but I’m not sure that he could step in and play as many snaps as Cole and be as reliable.  

The endorsement from McDermott was very strong though.  I don’t expect the Bills move on from Beasley but given his contract, the cap, and the contracts for Edmunds and Oliver looking, it’s possible 

26 minutes ago, DasNootz said:

Tyreek Hill disagrees with this assessment.   

The savings doesn't come in a vacuum. If we save 6-8 million by letting McKenzie, Davis and Sanders take that role, it frees up $6-8 million to put in the offensive line, which makes every one else on that side of the ball better too.  We have an abundance at WR right now, it's not sustainable to keep everyone.

I would not compare McKenzie or Sanders to Cole. McKenzie is punt and kickoff returner who gets hurt a lot and can get blown up on any return. Sanders is an outside receiver and makes as much as Cole. Think of all the great games Cole has had since our emergence. We haven't sorted out the O-line in 20+ years, and you want to offload one of our best players to justify it. 

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

Interesting topic. 

As bills fans I’m not sure we have experience in this realm, that is what to do with aging players on an excellent contender team in the era of free agency. 

Beasley is a solid slot, always open particularly adept at finding zone holes, tough, with really good hand, tends to move the sticks and supposedly liked by teammates.

He’s also older and takes a lot of big hits in traffic, tries but doesn’t give a whole lot to the run game and lacks versatility to play outside or win matchups on typical nfl corners and isn’t breaking a tackle for big gains. 

Sanders isn’t that type of guy. Mckenzie has played there as has Gabe. But have interesting pros and cons in there and then there is Stevenson. 

a really good tight end could fill the same role and other some help in the run game… first world problems I guess. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I dont see the route running ability from McKenzie but to be fair, he hasn't really been given the chance to play WR. He is used as a gadget guy moslty so its hard to judge his WR skills. After a massive game last year against Miami, he disappeared in the playoffs when most of our WR group was hurt. That was really odd.

I think him disappearing had more to do with Beasley playing and mckenzie not being used.  It’s not like he stunk up the joint.  He didn’t get the opportunities.  

but I’m with ya.  I love Beasley and think he a superior WR for sure.  Can’t help but think that Beasley will be slowing down just a bit and is an injury risk. Having both would be ideal. Both very important pieces of the team

and locker room imo.  

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Better than Diggs? There are only 3 or 4 of those guys in football.  shc

I agree though that they should absolutely be open to a receiver early in the draft. 

Have you noticed that only one of our regular WR was drafted by us?   College WR play most of their games against DB who will never sniff a NFL roster AND play relatively simple schemes.  Being able to learn "smarts' is what makes a pro receiver.

I like Beasley. Very talented and fills a big role on this team. I'm also confident the Bills will be able to find a solid and young WR either in the draft or in FA to link up with Allen once Beasley is gone. WR has become one of the deepest positions in all of the NFL.

He is finishing his career with us. He’s totally shot and will retire or be voided at the end of the season. We’ll be drafting his replacement or signing a FA after our SB victory.

How long did people think he could play?

Edited by Governor

46 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Have you noticed that only one of our regular WR was drafted by us?   College WR play most of their games against DB who will never sniff a NFL roster AND play relatively simple schemes.  Being able to learn "smarts' is what makes a pro receiver.

Plenty of young receivers come into the league and make an impact though and as we pay more of our guys we are going to have to be willing to use some cheap labour at wideout.

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Doent he seemed to be awefully dinged up with injuries now?   He was getting up awefully slow in last weeks game

He seemed to regain a little of his speed early on last week, which surprised me, but there’s no reason to believe he will have anything left after a playoff run, judging by the vicious pounding he took last season.

He will retire.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.