Beasley’s future

Virgil

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

He's under contract next year....

$7.6M for a guy who was named to the All-Pro team last season.

You guys are crazy.

Yes.  I don't understand why they said void.  He is under contract.  His game is off but I hope it picks up when his ribs fully heal.

One thing the wouldn't surprise me is they come to an agreement to add guaranteed money to his contract for a small salary cut.

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Better than Diggs? There are only 3 or 4 of those guys in football. 

I agree though that they should absolutely be open to a receiver early in the draft. 

I’m just saying don’t stop.

Don’t be hung up on this idea that Sanders and Beasley have to be our #2 and #3 next year, and Gabe Davis can sit another year behind them.

Can you imagine this Bills team with a guy like Deebo Samuel or AJ Brown? 

I think we bring the same people back in the same roles, and we’re losing ground in this league. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Don’t be hung up on this idea that Sanders and Beasley have to be our #2 and #3 next year, and Gabe Davis can sit another year behind them.

The odds Sanders is re-signed is going to be slim to none.  Then the talks with McKenzie will happen.

I don't believe Beasley would be cut.  If anything, after the Bills would eat his $1.5M dead money then his contract would be tradeable.

Any team with a young QB would take that on.

Ultimately I believe he stays next year and Gabe replaces Sanders.  

4 hours ago, DasNootz said:

He's a great possession receiver, knows how to get open and knows where the yard to get is... that said, I think he's replaceable and will likely be a cap casualty.  With Diggs, Sanders, Gabe and Knox - another slot guy will be able to get open.

And we will have to pay Diggs next year.  He will want a new contract and that will be huge

40 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Give him less money but guaranteed.  5 million sounds great to me. 

Gives us an option if the board doesn’t give us a WR they like. 

Why would he take less money for a guarantee that he’ll get at the beginning of the season anyway?  It would make sense if he had a few years left on his contract, but he does not. 

7 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Why would he take less money for a guarantee that he’ll get at the beginning of the season anyway?  It would make sense if he had a few years left on his contract, but he does not. 

Well the same reason Addison and Butler took cuts on the last year of their contracts earlier this year.

• Like (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Cause he might not make it to the season if we draft his replacement. I’m thinking of a Singeltary and McCoy situation. If you are suggesting that Cole might not accept that offer, then I agree it’s not 100% that he would sign.  Beane has done well at managing the end of contracts, and I do think 5 mill is closer to Beaslys value than 7.6. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

The odds Sanders is re-signed is going to be slim to none.  Then the talks with McKenzie will happen.

I don't believe Beasley would be cut.  If anything, after the Bills would eat his $1.5M dead money then his contract would be tradeable.

Any team with a young QB would take that on.

Ultimately I believe he stays next year and Gabe replaces Sanders.  

See that’s my point, I don’t need to lose Sanders to free agency and everyone left just moves up a peg.

It’d be better if we acquire another top flight talent and add that to the WR room.

Allen is the offense, and we have to keep feeding that, and if that means another 1st Round WR or TE is added, so be it.

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Like (+1) 1

Obviously, careers in the NFL are a finite length.  Not even Tom Brady can go on forever.  When it comes to older players, I'm sure GMs have to go through a difficult process of trying to evaluate a given player's reasonable career lifespan, costs and risks.  I don't think it is an automatic that players like Sanders and Beasley will either be retained or cut loose.   I could see Beane coming to the conclusion that Isaiah McKenzie has more upside and lower risk of injury in 2022 than Beasley, not to mention being more cost effective if the cap is tight.

3 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Yes.  I don't understand why they said void.  He is under contract.  His game is off but I hope it picks up when his ribs fully heal.

One thing the wouldn't surprise me is they come to an agreement to add guaranteed money to his contract for a small salary cut.

This.  He is under contract.  I don't understand the "voidable" part.  Maybe what they mean is that the Bills could (theoretically) move on with only $1.5M of amortized signing bonus as dead money, but that's a strange way of wording it.

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, QCity said:

I think both Beasley and Sanders will be gone. They're on the wrong side of 30 and it's time to get some youth at the position that will be around to gel with Josh for 4-5 years. It's a juicy WR FA class next year, will Godwin slip away from the Bucs?

I disagree w/ Beasley. Slot receivers built like him can play well into their mid to late 30s. Welker, Amendola, Edleman, Brandon Stokley, Randle Cobb, etc are good examples. They would be dumb to get rid of him. Guy pretty much took over the the Miami game and got us the win. When it's 3rd and 22, you know Beasley's gonna be the one Josh looks to first. 

So many people think he's expendable and I'd love to know their thought process. If you know football then you know how important a great slot guy is. There's only about 5 elite ones in the league. 

Edited by ChronicAndKnuckles
  • Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I keep reading this here.  Often repeated, just not true.

He is at a career high for receptions per game and receiving %.  Even at 16 games he will likely have a career high in catches. in the last 4 games he has 35 targets and 27 catches---and that's with JA only looking his way twice in the blowout Sunday. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

This!

I don’t think people get this… release Beasley to save ~$6M and then have to find his replacement for less than $6M to make it worthwhile. 

Kinda where I am on this.  $6.1M for 2022.  I let him play out his deal unless there is some other mitigating factor.  Injury that would impact 2022.  Or if he were to insist on one last big payday attached to an extension, for instance.  I’m not interested in that.  But $6.1M?  Sure.  Just stay off of social media, Beasley. 

• Like (+1) 1

Bease isn’t going anywhere. It’s like people think you can find a slot guy of his caliber off the street or on the roster already. McKenzie isn’t close to the receiver Bease is. Bease has spacial awareness and an understanding of what the opposing defenses are doing that is just innate. The guy has a feel for the game and it’s not just from film study. Some things you can’t teach. No one at OBD cares about the Covid bru-ha-ha earlier this season. Only some fans are still talking about this.

I wouldn’t be surprised at all if they sign him to a 3 years extension at some point to spread the money out and keep him in the fold. Only if its a John Brown situation where McBeane think he’s toast from an injury standpoint do they move on. I don’t believe that’s the case.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

This!

I don’t think people get this… release Beasley to save ~$6M and then have to find his replacement for less than $6M to make it worthwhile. 

Well this is not true.

He might be released to save those $6M in order to sign 4 cheap players just to fit under the cap. In other words, you might release a player because you have to without any ambition to find comparable replacement.

Which is exactly what may happen to Cole if you look at our cap situation.

5 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Slot receivers built like him can play well into their mid to late 30s. Welker, Amendola, Edleman, Brandon Stokley, Randle Cobb, etc are good examples. 

None of those WRs played well into their mid to late 30s. Cobb is 31 years old right now. Edleman's number's took a nosedive when he hit 33. Welker put up crazy numbers at 32 that Beasley has never came close too, and was not re-signed by NE. If anything, the examples that you provided show that slot receivers pretty much reach their shelf life in their early 30s.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

I keep reading this here.  Often repeated, just not true.

He is at a career high for receptions per game and receiving %.  Even at 16 games he will likely have a career high in catches. in the last 4 games he has 35 targets and 27 catches---and that's with JA only looking his way twice in the blowout Sunday. 

IMO he has been a little off since he injured his ribs.  It's nothing major but you can tell he isn't as aggressive after the catch.

Ribs hurt and take a while to heal.  He will be fine and back to his old self soon.

33 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

IMO he has been a little off since he injured his ribs.  It's nothing major but you can tell he isn't as aggressive after the catch.

Ribs hurt and take a while to heal.  He will be fine and back to his old self soon.

The numbers don't support that.  he's as clutch as ever.

• Like (+1) 2

Beas is great, but better to get rid of him a year early than a year late, especially with some tough financial decisions and a tightening cap coming up.

Along with Allen already getting his contract, Edmunds will likely get his.  And then we're probably going to have to give Diggs an extension to keep him happy.  And then we'll have to pick up Oliver's 5th year option next year and work on his contract.

Let him go.  Not because he's bad--he's great.  Not because he's old--but he's getting there.  Not because of Covid--but there's a chance that factors in.

Let him go because while McKenzie isn't nearly as instinctive as Beas, he's plenty talented to play the slot.  And who knows what Stevenson has in him.  Plus I think we'll draft a WR in the first few rounds next year.

All that said... I won't be remotely upset if we choose to keep him.

41 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Beas is great, but better to get rid of him a year early than a year late, especially with some tough financial decisions and a tightening cap coming up.

Along with Allen already getting his contract, Edmunds will likely get his.  And then we're probably going to have to give Diggs an extension to keep him happy.  And then we'll have to pick up Oliver's 5th year option next year and work on his contract.

Let him go.  Not because he's bad--he's great.  Not because he's old--but he's getting there.  Not because of Covid--but there's a chance that factors in.

Let him go because while McKenzie isn't nearly as instinctive as Beas, he's plenty talented to play the slot.  And who knows what Stevenson has in him.  Plus I think we'll draft a WR in the first few rounds next year.

All that said... I won't be remotely upset if we choose to keep him.

Interior Offensive Line is a glaring need on this team, and we could probably use another quality cornerback, but I'd let Oliver play out his contract and Franchise Tag him if you have to. Unless he is willing to take a deal commiserate with his performance, the Bills shouldn't break the bank for him. 

In reference to the bolded, the Bills themselves haven't really made McKenzie into a featured player. He essentially touches the ball on offense every 3rd game or so. I don't understand why the jet sweep can't be incorporated more, or why a bubble screen can't be thrown to him. It's said that there are too many mouths to feed, but a couple of throws a game and a carry doesn't seem too much to ask. 

Stevenson is a long shot despite the two big plays in preseason. 

I think the need at WR from last season is still there, and the answers are probably not on the roster already. I think the Bills would really benefit from a strategy to land another top flight talent there, at the expense of #2 CB, or another DT, or a better running back. 

Offensive Line is pressing, or else I would make it the top of the list. 

22 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

For me its one of those situation where I won't be too sad to see him go nor will I be sad if they find a way to keep him.  I don't think he will retire here.  Its a numbers game and the Bills are starting to do the right thing by letting guys go that may have some left in the tank but its just time.  I think Beasley is struggling but I think that is mostly his injury.  He was dogging it pretty hard in the Jax game.

At the end of the day the Bills need to manage the cap.  He is one of those players that the Bills can do well with but can also live without I think.  Similar to moving on from Brown this past year.

Comparing losing Cole to Brown is silly. Did you notice Cole's performance in games that Diggs is not targeted much? He's a 1st down machine. No running game, no Diggs because he's bracketed, it's not Davis dropping game saving perfect passes, it's Cole that you can count on. I've watched great players minimized by our fan base in their roles as capologists, but try to remember we've had 2 good offensive years in the last 20 and Cole has been right in the middle of them, playing hurt, getting blown up fearlessly going over the middle and always getting past the marker. This guy is the spine of this team's offense. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

He's a great player but at the age where you let him go after the season.

Davis will replace Sanders next season, and pick up a WR in the draft to replace Beasley.

Yes but after he learns for a year.  That draftee can start full time in 2023.  Beasley probably stays for the last year of his contract.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Comparing losing Cole to Brown is silly. Did you notice Cole's performance in games that Diggs is not targeted much? He's a 1st down machine. No running game, no Diggs because he's bracketed, it's not Davis dropping game saving perfect passes, it's Cole that you can count on. I've watched great players minimized by our fan base in their roles as capologists, but try to remember we've had 2 good offensive years in the last 20 and Cole has been right in the middle of them, playing hurt, getting blown up fearlessly going over the middle and always getting past the marker. This guy is the spine of this team's offense. 

Cole is hobbled again this year.  He hasn't been Cole.  He has also dropped a drive stalling pass or two.  Good teams release players a year or two before they lose too much of what they are.  Im not sure if Cole is at that point yet but with the beating he takes and his age I would bet he is close to that point.  I like Beasley and maybe the Bills keep him for another year or two, but I don't see him retiring here.

6 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Sounds like you are looking for some sort of verification, regarding your opinions about 'Them'.

Opinions are like........Well, you know.

Everybody has one.

It's a grain of salt, at the end of the day..

nope

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Cole is hobbled again this year.  He hasn't been Cole.  He has also dropped a drive stalling pass or two.  Good teams release players a year or two before they lose too much of what they are.  Im not sure if Cole is at that point yet but with the beating he takes and his age I would bet he is close to that point.  I like Beasley and maybe the Bills keep him for another year or two, but I don't see him retiring here.

He has the 3rd highest catch % in the league, singlehandedly kept the offense going in the second half of the Miami game, and has made clutch catches all year. Yeah, he dropped a sure catch in the Jax game that would have kept a drive alive and put them  in Jax territory - but those plays have been rare for Beasley.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Not to belabor the point but I got eyes.  He has been going down early to avoid contact.  We have even been discussing it in the GDTs.

did he get the first down?  

if yes   I couldn’t care less unless he was within the 5 yard line 

Curious 

does that argument hold when JA slides?

Beasley runs precise, crisp routes and is easily in the top 10 of route runners in the entire league.  You can't draft that consistently, and a lot of WRs in the league are lousy route runners.  The Bills probably have one of the best, if not the best route runners in the league in Diggs.  Jerry Rice is probably the all-time route runner.  His success was because he was consistently to the spot Montana threw the ball to.  

You can't teach route running by the time you're in the NFL.  You have to be dedicated to it and good at it as a college player.  

It's why you have a lot of college "names" flame out in the league.  They are great athletes and fast but can't get to where the ball will be thrown to consistently.    

There will be many Bills players who will leave the team before Cole Beasley does.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

you don’t move away from a guy with a 70 % catch rate

Teams move off good players all the time for varying reasons.  The Patriots have basically written the book of "better to get rid of him one year early than one year late."

This team will have money issues moving forward because they need to find ways to lock up their young talent.  I already mentioned new contracts coming up like Edmunds and Oliver... but then you also have guys like Knox and Davis whose rookie contracts expire soon... and I'm pretty sure those are 2 players this regime will want to keep.

I don't have a problem if we keep him, but Beas has been getting injured more frequently and the fact is we can save some money if we let him go next year.  Do you honestly believe he'll be around the year after that?  If he's not in our long term plan--and at this point I doubt that's the case--and you can save a chunk of money by letting him go (we can) and we have some talent and/or experience waiting in the wings (McKenzie and/or Stevenson plus draft pick) then moving away from him might be exactly what we do.

• Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.