HFA: Man, we have to run the table and get help…from the Pats and Steelers

dollars 2 donuts

Love the game, love the effort and I am not overlooking it, but man what a screwy season and what a place we are in.

The Titans schedule is almost stupid.

Texans

@Patriots

Jags

@Steelers

Niners

Dolphins

@Texans

Two teams we don’t want to lose ground to we need to pull out wins, and even that is a tall order.

Even with that we only need:

Colts - W

Saints - W

Pats - W

Bucs - W

Panthers - W

Pats - W

Falcons - W

Jets - W

You know what, the heck with it.  Fine, we pass them or we don’t.

I just absolutely want another shot at them and if it is down there, so be it.  I may make that trip.

Go Bills.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Titans are going to have another embarrassing loss. That's just the story of the season. Your team is on top for a week or two, then you get embarrassed by a bottom feeder or mediocre team.

Plus, they are a streaky team and always have been. They are playing well right now, but they'll have another low streak I bet.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Henry out for the year, Julio never healthy and their only legit threat on offense is Brown, who also seems to be on the injury report every week himself.  This Titans team is on a good little run, but they are far from a juggernaut.  Lots of football left to be played still, they are dropping a couple along the way, especially with how weird the NFL has been this year as far as good teams laying eggs every week.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Process said:

It's going to be difficult to get the 1 seed given their remaining schedule. 

The Bills are the better team but the loss vs them plus them pulling off wins vs the rams and saints was a disaster for our chances. 

Bills lose 1 and Titans lose vs pats Steelers and 49ers? 

We can't lose more than 1 game. 

A failed QB sneak that we convert 19/20 times may end up being the difference. Ugh.

I think most suspected at the time that the loss to Tennessee would hurt, but not to this degree.

At this point, the #1 is out and I will be rooting heavily for the Titans against the Pats in 2 weeks. Sucks, but we HAVE to secure the division first.

• Like (+1) 8

It's going to be difficult to get the 1 seed given their remaining schedule. 

The Bills are the better team but the loss vs them plus them pulling off wins vs the rams and saints was a disaster for our chances. 

Bills lose 1 and Titans lose vs pats Steelers and 49ers? 

We can't lose more than 1 game. 

A failed QB sneak that we convert 19/20 times may end up being the difference. Ugh.

• Agree 5

I really don’t think the Pats* are as good as everyone seems to be thinking they are. Obviously their D is better with the additions and all the guys they got back after opting out last year but damn, I’m not on that Mac Jones train yet. He seems limited, physically, and I may be understating that. Not afraid of Chad Pennington v2.0

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 3

4 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Long way to go but Bills probably will finish with 4 or even 5 losses. Probably not catching TEN due to mostly a 4th and short that they couldn’t convert. Not the end of the world. Just have to focus on winning the AFCE. 

Just need to get the #2, which is easily within our reach given our schedule and ability. If that happens who knows maybe the Titans will slip up in the divisional game

• Like (+1) 5

7 minutes ago, buffblue said:

I think most suspected at the time that the loss to Tennessee would hurt, but not to this degree.

At this point, the #1 is out and I will be rooting heavily for the Titans against the Pats in 2 weeks. Sucks, but we HAVE to secure the division first.

4 weeks from now everything will be different, just like 4 weeks ago everything was different.

You really think the Titans will be the top team in the AFC come season's end? Any one of their opponents could upset them any given week. They aren't some juggernaut team.

Just have to see how things play out. The Bills need to just go win and everything else will work itself out.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, buffblue said:

Just need to get the #2, which is easily within our reach given our schedule and ability. If that happens who knows maybe the Titans will slip up in the divisional game

Titans have played a lot of very close games and had a few key calls go their way etc. That’s what it takes sometimes but they don’t separate much in games. They’re not capable of building a lead consistently and are definitely vulnerable if one or two things don’t break in their favor. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

I really don’t think the Pats* are as good as everyone seems to be thinking they are. Obviously their D is better with the additions and all the guys they got back after opting out last year but damn, I’m not on that Mac Jones train yet. He seems limited, physically, and I may be understating that. Not afraid of Chad Pennington v2.0

I'm torn on this. Jones has looked pretty good for a rookie, but it also helps when your team runs the ball at will, is well coached, and plays solid defense.

His upside seems limited. I think he can have a solid career, but it will be sort of a Baker Mayfield situation.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Even if the Titans finish with the #1 seed I can see them getting beat in the divisional. 

With that scenario here is how I see things turning out.

#1 Titans 14-3

#2 Bills 13-4

#3 Ravens 12-5

#4 Chiefs 12-5 

#5 Patriots 12-5

#6 Colts 11-6

#7 Steelers/Bengals/Raiders/Chargers 10-7

Wild Card  

#2 Bills vs #7 (***Steelers***). Bills win Big Ben’s final game, and for 2nd year in a row send a HOF QB from Class of 2004 into retirement.
#3 Ravens vs #6 Colts. Ravens find a way to win.

#4 Chiefs vs #5 Patriots. Mac Jones & Belichick can’t find Brady magic. Tuck rule saves Chiefs late. 

Divisional

#1 Titans vs #4 Chiefs. Mahomes & Co win going away shutting down the aging RB & WRs of Tennessee.

#2 Bills vs #3 Ravens. Buffalo’s D does it again & shuts down Lamar & Co. 

AFC Championship 

#2 Bills vs #4 Chiefs. Lake Effect Snow, Bills Mafia & Dominant Defense stop the Chiefs passing attack. Bills run for over 250 yards and Allen runs for 2 scores. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Love the game, love the effort and I am not overlooking it, but man what a screwy season and what a place we are in.

Texans

@Patriots

Jags

@Steelers

Niners

Dolphins

@Texans

Two teams we don’t want to lose ground to we need to pull out wins, and even that is a tall order.

Colts - W

Saints - W

Pats - W

Bucs - W

Panthers - W

Pats - W

Falcons - W

Jets - W

I just absolutely want another shot at them and if it is down there, so be it.  I may make that trip.

Go Bills.

It will be very difficult defeating the team (it looks like the titans) with the bye.

We just blew it vs. Tennessee and Jaguars..... But I guess it is what it is and we have to play it out.

Maybe the Bills hit their stride and actually do win out and the Titans do lose two. Hey, it's the NFL  you never know....

What's Feliciano got another week minimum? Maybe our line solidifies and our RBs really surprise and play like nfl backs....

• Agree 2

The Bills lost to the Titans in Tennessee when they had Henry AND the refs let Henry run for a long TD without calling any of the holding penalties they committed.  Also the Titans had Jones and Brown both healthy.  And the Bills were very close to winning.

Even if the Bills have to go back to Nashville to win the AFC, they match up very well with the Titans now.  The Bills' weakness on defense is against a power running team (Colts so the next game will be tough), but without Henry Tennessee will have to go to the passing game, and defending that is the Bills strength.  

If the one seed drops into our laps, great, but two would still be OK.  We would get two playoff games at home and then go to Nashville and win the rubber match.  It's not catching Tennessee that matters at this point, it's catching Baltimore.  Maybe the Ravens' gift calls from the NFL have ended -- they actually got called for delay of game in their last game -- so it's very possible they drop a couple more.  

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

The most important stat in football is W-L.  In that stat, the Pats are only a half game behind us and that does make me a bit nervous.

But comparing offensive production:  The Bills are ranked #5 while the Pats are #15.  We're significantly better on offense.

On defense, we're #1 and they're #6.    We give up about 54 yards/game less than them.  

Overall, they're a good team.  We're better.  But we need to prove this in our head-to-head matchups and on any given Sunday...

1 hour ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Probably time to forget about the 1 seed.  I believe it’s a long shot.  Should be focused on winning the division which should get us in the 2 spot.  

The 4th down failure at Tennessee really sucks.  But I think the focus should always be on winning the next game.  That's it.   Obviously players and coaches need to think this way.  But even as a fan, that's how I tend to think. 

The Titans might go on a massive losing streak.  The Pats may beat us and take over the AFCE lead.  Who can predict the future in the full-of-surprises NFL?   No one.  So I enjoy the ride, one game at a time.

Edited by hondo in seattle

6 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Texans

@Patriots

Jags

@Steelers

Niners

Dolphins

@Texans

Colts - W

Saints - W

Pats - W

Bucs - W

Panthers - W

Pats - W

Falcons - W

Jets - W

Go Bills.

Getting the one seed would be a huge advantage with one less game to play. But our chances do seem long with the games we blew so far.

But if we got the two seed and only had to go to Nashville to get to the Super Bowl, I wouldn’t be too worried about it. We should have beaten the Titans last time and I don’t think we miss out this time of it comes to it.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Utah John said:

The Bills lost to the Titans in Tennessee when they had Henry AND the refs let Henry run for a long TD without calling any of the holding penalties they committed.  Also the Titans had Jones and Brown both healthy.  And the Bills were very close to winning.

Even if the Bills have to go back to Nashville to win the AFC, they match up very well with the Titans now.  The Bills' weakness on defense is against a power running team (Colts so the next game will be tough), but without Henry Tennessee will have to go to the passing game, and defending that is the Bills strength.  

If the one seed drops into our laps, great, but two would still be OK.  We would get two playoff games at home and then go to Nashville and win the rubber match.  It's not catching Tennessee that matters at this point, it's catching Baltimore.  Maybe the Ravens' gift calls from the NFL have ended -- they actually got called for delay of game in their last game -- so it's very possible they drop a couple more.  

Henry could easily be playing by the time the playoffs roll around.

Then again, he might not be able to play too.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, cage said:

I always liked Tyrod... he'll help with one!

I doubt the Texans give us any help, but with maybe the fish have their acts together a bit now. With Henry out and Julio Jones on IR they could conceivably lose to any of those teams sandwiched in there. Not a cakewalk by any means.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

I don't get how when people want a bad comparison they often seem to pick Pennington. And Pennington without the arm injuries is maybe a Hall of Famer. He's a sad case of a guy who showed every sign of being generational suffering an injury that destroys his career.

Go take a look at how he did his third year, first as a starter. Top two in the league, probably, and he had a good arm too. Then the injuries.

Edited by Thurman#1

Titans may very well get the 1 seed, but without Henry, that might be the weakest 1 seed we've seen in a long time.  

If we have to go to Nashville in a rematch, I'll take those odds.  (Even if Henry is back, I'll take those odds)

2 hours ago, Pirate Angel said:

We cant run the football so we may not want to be in Buffalo come Jan/Feb 

We showed glimmers of a legitimate running offense yesterday.  Let's see if that continues.  

Regardless, come Playoff time, the Bills can always operate the running game through Allen.  Not something we want to do, or should do, during the regular season - but in the Playoffs it's fair game.   

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 1

I would highly suggest not getting in your own head about the #1 seed.

A reasonable hope would be that they find their stride by playoff time, win most of their games, and stay healthy.

Just enjoy the games. One loss isn't the end of the world. One win doesn't make them super bowl winners.

It's a long season...

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

Henry out for the year, Julio never healthy and their only legit threat on offense is Brown, who also seems to be on the injury report every week himself.  This Titans team is on a good little run, but they are far from a juggernaut.  Lots of football left to be played still, they are dropping a couple along the way, especially with how weird the NFL has been this year as far as good teams laying eggs every week.

The Henry injury may actually HELP the Titans though.

Word has always been Henry has a good shot being ready for the playoffs. So instead of Tennessee over using him all season long and him being knicked and gassed come playoff time they should be getting him back pretty fresh and ready to go. 

With that schedule they are easily making the playoffs and have a very good shot at the #1 seed.

Hate to think it because I despise the franchise...but this may be the Titans year. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.