John Wawrow: McDermott says offense became too quarterback-dependent, jeopardizing team’s success

Hapless Bills Fan

https://apnews.com/article/nfl-sports-sean-mcdermott-new-york-jets-new-york-6e5ab725e9f6b6b974231d06d3f9842a

I didn't quite hear it that way, but Wawrow was there and I was not, and I can't hear the questions

The struggles, McDermott said, aren’t limited to Buffalo’s dud in a 9-6 loss at Jacksonville last weekend, or to this season alone. The problem, he said, dates to the final half of last season when the offense became too quarterback-dependent, and has the potential of jeopardizing the team’s chances for success this year.

“It is something that we need to do, and we need to do better if we want to be the team that we’re trying to become,” McDermott said as the Bills (5-3) prepared to play at the New York Jets (2-6) on Sunday.

“I thought we’d be further along,” he added. “I can promise you adjustments are being made.”

Without revealing what those changes might be, McDermott acknowledged he’s considered having running back Matt Breida active for just the third time this season even if Zack Moss is cleared from the NFL’s concussion protocol.

The coach was more specific in calling out Buffalo’s lack of push up front. He noted that while today’s offenses feature a pass-first approach, the one thing that hasn’t changed is a need to be physical at the point of attack.

“You still have to have that piece of the foundation because you can’t do certain things whatever you’re trying to do, run, pass,” he said, tapping his finger on the table for emphasis. “You cannot lose sight of the core aspects of the game of football.”

Wawrow points out the Bills have now lost 2 of their last 3 games - that ain't good folks!

McDermott’s comments were noteworthy for a coach who generally avoids criticism in favor of vague pronouncements about his team needing to improve. But he didn’t go so far as to say Buffalo’s running game is in crisis.

“Good teams make adjustments, and that’s what you have to do every season,” he said.

The coming weeks will determine whether the Bills are one of those teams.

Allen said he has to do a better job calling plays, and he defended his offensive line, which gave up a season-high four sacks against Jacksonville.

“They’re working their tails off,” Allen said. “They’re doing the best job they can, and we’re going to continue to improve.”

Wait, it's Allen's job to call plays?

We all know Allen is loyal and isn't going to publicly throw his guys under the bus, but he has to see on the film that they're making mistakes in front of him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

It’s embarrassing, but it’s not time to push the panic button.

Lot of season to go. Lofty in season expectations may not be met, and I’ll be happy to trade the embarrassment of losing to the Jags if this bad stretch of play is eliminated now opposed to say the clutch games to get into the playoffs or even in the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

https://apnews.com/article/nfl-sports-sean-mcdermott-new-york-jets-new-york-6e5ab725e9f6b6b974231d06d3f9842a?

We all know Allen is loyal and isn't going to publicly throw his guys under the bus, but he has to see on the film that they're making mistakes in front of him.

Instead of golf clubs this Christmas, Allen should buy a mallet and bonk Mongo, Ford, and Boetgger on the head. 

As for the Brieda comment by McD, I fully expected them to try him instead of Singletary.

Edited by Fan in Chicago
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

I find McD's admission about the lack of a run game since last season encouraging and frustrating.  Encouraging because it will become a point of emphasis to fix and I believe the run will improve.  How much - who knows?  Frustrating because he and Beane recognized the issue and yet didn't do much to address the oline.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

Every QB is better with a successful rushing attack. Every single one. Not to throw Josh under the bus, but you can probably count on one hand the number of QBs in the history of the game who could thrive even in the face of an anemic running game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, JayBaller10 said:

Every QB is better with a successful rushing attack. Every single one. Not to throw Josh under the bus, but you can probably count on one hand the number of QBs in the history of the game who could thrive even in the face of an anemic running game.

Yep. Green Bay and Aaron Rodgers comes to mind for me.

They can punish teams for playing two high safeties as they got a descent line and two quality backs in Jones and Dillon.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

I find McD's admission about the lack of a run game since last season encouraging and frustrating.  Encouraging because it will become a point of emphasis to fix and I believe the run will improve.  How much - who knows?  Frustrating because he and Beane recognized the issue and yet didn't do much to address the oline.

Maiorana's points about mis-evaluation of OLmen are germaine.    As part of that, I feel Beane recognized the issue but felt that Feliciano and Ford were both highly probable to improve with an injury-free off season and that Forrest Lamp was a good "plan C".  Misevaluation.

But I don't think he could have predicted both Dawkins and Williams taking a big step back.

I know at the DC/OC/HC level, everyone has an Ego and part of being a successful HC is being able to work with Ego.  I don't know how the dynamics of TBD work behind the scenes, obviously.   My frustration is that McDermott has to have been able to see that there's an issue starting before the Pittsburgh game - his reaction suggests that he knew beforehand that there was an issue, and regretted not having tried to address it. 

Well, he has to have known there's an issue at least rolling back to the Titans game where our backs gained 51 yards on 13 carries.  So why not address it then? 

It's almost like McDermott feels he can't lay down the law and say "fix this" until something shows up as clearly and beyond all argument broken.  But then, as with the run game after the Patriots and Chargers games last season, does he feel he has to back off again and it slides back to the "same ol"?

In my opinion, one of the major problems with the run game is that Daboll is like the CDs my bank offers: they both have a "low interest rate".  And it's not in Daboll's interest (see what I did?) to stay in that mindset, because as @JayBaller10  pointed out above, every QB is better with a functional run game.    Brees, Rodgers, Brady, can't think of one where that isn't true.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

https://apnews.com/article/nfl-sports-sean-mcdermott-new-york-jets-new-york-6e5ab725e9f6b6b974231d06d3f9842a

I didn't quite hear it that way, but Wawrow was there and I was not, and I can't hear the questions

Wawrow points out the Bills have now lost 2 of their last 3 games - that ain't good folks!

Wait, it's Allen's job to call plays?

Exactly Hapless, he never said that at all

3 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

Exactly Hapless, he never said that at all

My intended point was that someone asking a question could have asked "has the Bills offense become too QB dependent, and does that jeopardize our success?" and McDermott could have said something that amounted to "yes", but since I can't hear the questions, I didn't hear it that way.

Bring in the RB from the practice squad.  I'll bet he's ready to plow through some mini holes.  We all agree that Ford blows.  Cut him.  Put in somebody with attitude and anger.  This whole team needs to play angry. 

Side note:  Wyatt Teller was pick #166 in the 2018 draft.  If his talent was that obvious, he wouldn't have lasted that long.  They saw him as a tradable asset, and he was part of the formula that got us Josh.  Cleveland probably has a better OL coach.

• Like (+1) 1

Callers who said this were run off the air after Week One.

The Bills have become dependent on Allen, not as far as Seattle has with Wilson, but dependent.

He is asked to dodge pressure, overcome no run game, be the leading rusher, pass 47 times a game, see every check down, yet stay aggressive.

My one beef with Allen is he tends to be loose with the football in terms of fumbles. 

But he gives it absolutely everything he has to win every week. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Fan in Chicago said:

There is a subtle difference being Qb-centric and QB - dependent. 

Bingo.  And I would argue it's not subtle.  Allen's play hides the problems with our O-line and RB's.  He breaks off a couple of big runs each game that keep drives alive and then avoids getting sacked in a jail break and converts a 3rd & long.

If our problem was only that we were QB centric its an easy fix. But anyone who actually follows the Bills and watches their games knows this is not the case.  That's why we're all so worried.  While McD and company can lesson the dependence on Allen they can't walk away from it because they have NO alternatives.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Bingo.  And I would argue it's not subtle.  Allen's play hides the problems with our O-line and RB's.  He breaks off a couple of big runs each game that keep drives alive and then avoids getting sacked in a jail break and converts a 3rd & long.

.  While McD and company can lesson the dependence on Allen they can't walk away from it because they have NO alternatives.

Coach Cowher has been saying that in half time shows a bit last year and a lot this year. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, TC in St. Louis said:

Bring in the RB from the practice squad.  I'll bet he's ready to plow through some mini holes.  We all agree that Ford blows.  Cut him.  Put in somebody with attitude and anger.  This whole team needs to play angry. 

Side note:  Wyatt Teller was pick #166 in the 2018 draft.  If his talent was that obvious, he wouldn't have lasted that long.  They saw him as a tradable asset, and he was part of the formula that got us Josh.  Cleveland probably has a better OL coach.

You are thinking of Corey Glenn helping us get the draft pick used for Josh.  Wyatt Teller was drafted the same year we drafted Allen.  

It may just be me but John Warrow is a terrible interviewer. He can’t ever manage to get out his question. The interviewees always have to ask him to rephrase it or to clarify. He just like rambles his narrative and then tries to turn it into a question at the end. 

Also during Covid quarantine when he was doing the zoom calls it looked like he was hunkered down in a bomb shelter for 2 plus years. I swear he wore a robe in a couple of them. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It's almost like McDermott feels he can't lay down the law and say "fix this" until something shows up as clearly and beyond all argument broken.  But then, as with the run game after the Patriots and Chargers games last season, does he feel he has to back off again and it slides back to the "same ol"?

Wondering to what degree McDermott gets involved in the offensive game plan.  Does he, or will he now overrule Daboll on anything?  Somebody canned the empty backfield sets after Pittsburgh.  We know he'll take the defense over if needed.

3 minutes ago, Fred Slacks said:

It may just be me but John Warrow is a terrible interviewer. He can’t ever manage to get out his question. The interviewees always have to ask him to rephrase it or to clarify. He just like rambles his narrative and then tries to turn it into a question at the end. 

Also during Covid quarantine when he was doing the zoom calls it looked like he was hunkered down in a bomb shelter for 2 plus years. I swear he wore a robe in a couple of them. 

LOL Robe and a wife-beater.  I was like c'mon dude, if money's an issue at least hit a Church Sale or two and come home with a decent rugby shirt and a couple of polos.

But yes, Wawrow struggles to ask concise, open-ended questions.

2 minutes ago, In Summary said:

Wondering to what degree McDermott gets involved in the offensive game plan.  Does he, or will he now overrule Daboll on anything?  Somebody canned the empty backfield sets after Pittsburgh.  We know he'll take the defense over if needed.

I think like any effective leader, McDermott tries not to micromanage.  But he may need to lay down more guidelines and mix it in more regularly, because left on his own it's pretty clear Daboll will revert to the philosophy of "balance is good in theory, but when you struggle with one thing you need to do less of it and more of the other"

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

It's not what he said, but Wawrow likes to spin the narrative towards his own agenda. Tried doing the same thing with the "Bills are not focused on football" narrative in the offseason.

Oh, I'd forgotten that - good point

Although sometimes from how they have played this season, it does seem like the Bills are NOT, in fact, focused on football.

4 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

Yep. Green Bay and Aaron Rodgers comes to mind for me.

Go back and look at the 2018 Green Bay Packers, with 32 in rush attempts 22nd in rush yards. Aaron Rodgers was 6-9-1. He couldn't do it all by himself

2019, Packers 13th in rush attempts, 15th in yards, 7th in rush TDs. Rodgers, 13-3. 

• Like (+1) 3

I'm still not sold on the running game issues being a personnel-only issue. I don't think inserting Breida alone, for instance, will help. Sure, a stud running back or better O-linemen could definitely help, but first of all, that is not going to happen (at least not right now) and secondly, I think the players we have can get it done (especially when Brown and Feliciano are back)...at least well enough to keep defenses honest, which they aren't doing right now.

I think it is more so a focus, attitude, and rhythm issue (which really all kind of roll into one). 

Focus, meaning both how many running plays Daboll/Josh call and how much they practice it. As has been pointed out by Cover1 and others, a lot of running plays have broken down due to missed assignments, etc. If they aren't repping the plays enough in practice (because they won't be running as many in the game), then not only do you leave the window open for mistakes, but you also don't develop a real feel and confidence in the running game. And that accumulates over the year. Let's say you rep your most common running play either twice or five times for a game. Well at the end of the year (come playoff time), that is a difference between repping the play 34 times or 85 times across the season. Which team will be better ready if they have to run it in a playoff game?

Attitude: When pass blocking, you are on your heels, retreating or just trying to hold your ground. Run blocking, you have to either fire off the ball and attack, or you are pulling and looking for a man to plaster. It is a completely different attitude you must have. And again, not only does it need to be practiced, but more importantly, it needs to be established in a game. If the majority of the time you are pass blocking and then 4 times a quarter you call a run play (and not even on consecutive plays), it is hard to just pull that attitude out of nowhere when needed. It has to be like second nature.

Rhythm: Both O-linemen and running backs are better when they can get in a rhythm with the run game and to do that, you have to keep at it. Again, if there are 4 carries per quarter (which is about what the Bills are averaging, as far as RB touches) and Moss and Singletary are splitting time, that means each back gets two carries/quarter, 8 or 9 carries in a game. And there have been many games over the last two years where a RB doesn't even touch the ball until the late-first or 2nd quarter. No RB or O-line can get a feel for a game and get in a rhythm like that.

The Bills' running backs (not counting Josh's carries here) currently have 145 carries over 8 games. As a for instance, Derrick Henry alone had 219 carries over 8 games. The Cleveland backs have 235 carries over 9 games (averaged out to 8 games = 209 carries). Green Bay has 202 RB carries in 9 games (averaged out to 8 games = 180). 

Just supposin' here: I wonder if Daboll's time in New England affects how he feels and the attention he gives to the running game. He spent 10 of Brady's 19 years in NE coaching for the Pats. In those 19 years, they only had 5 RBs go over 1,000 yards for a season. Eight of those 19 years, they were a below league-average rushing team. And another 5 years, they were only 5-6 yards per game above the league average. Over those 19 years, the Pats averaged 1,852 rushing yards/season. For 2020 and 2021 (pro-rated), the Bills RBs are averaging 1,819 rushing yards/season. [Maybe just a coincidence.] Don't get me wrong, I'm not down on Daboll, I think he's an excellent OC, I'm just wondering if he needs to rethink things a bit.

As we know, the Pats won for years without a stud RB or top-tier running game. So, maybe that is partly in Daboll's mindset. With one difference being, Josh and Tom are different QBs. Tom got the ball out super fast. Josh likes to hold for the big plays and can get impatient taking what the defense gives him (he's done it well before, but we have seem him not do it on a number of occasions too). Now, I'm not putting that on Josh's shoulders or blaming him for it. I don't want Josh to try and change who he is too much. I am just thinking that since he is different from Tom, we need to establish more of a running game than the Pats ever needed to. Tom could keep defenses honest with short, quick-hitting passes to the slot and RBs, which would eventually open up the deeper throws. But that is not Josh's game, he's uncomfortable doing that for too long, so we need to develop the run game instead to open it up when we are seeing these types of defenses, when teams have the DBs and D-line personnel to pull it off.

Of course, I'm just speculating here (like everyone else). I have no idea what happens or what they focus on in Bills' meetings and practices. But I just wonder if getting stubborn and determined with the run game, both in practice and the games, could make a big difference. Make it a pride issue. Maybe that is what McDermott is stepping in to do. I just think back to the New England game last year. They went into that game planning to run it down their throats, and they did. I think they can do it, they just need to focus on it more and figure out how to make it complement the passing game, rather than just being more of a decoy. I'm not saying they will all of a sudden become a top 10 running team or anything, but I think these players can definitely turn it around enough to open up the offense again. 

Why didn't McDermott step in sooner? Maybe because, for the most part, last year it was working (until the Championship game). Then this year we have the Steelers game. Well, week 1, crazy stuff happens. Then the Tennessee game comes. Very good team, still had a chance to win. Ok. Miami, first half looked bad, but we pulled it together in the second half. Ok, maybe the team learned their lesson and we are headed back in the right direction. Jaguars game. Ok, that's it. Something has to change.

But yes, whatever the current offensive woes are, I believe it to be more of a coaching issue than a personnel issue. JMO

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Give me a healthy Spencer Brown and Dawson Knox, play a couple games and then let's have this discussion again. 

Injuries to key players matter in the NFL, with O Line and QB injuries number 1a and 1b.    No O Line, offense suffers.   Pretty simple.   Bills have been very fortunate in the past with no O Line /TE injuries; this year not so much.   

2 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

Give me a healthy Spencer Brown and Dawson Knox, play a couple games and then let's have this discussion again. 

Injuries to key players matter in the NFL, with O Line and QB injuries number 1a and 1b.    No O Line, offense suffers.   Pretty simple.   Bills have been very fortunate in the past with no O Line /TE injuries; this year not so much.   

Imagine, everyone's favorite whipping boy, Dropson Knox, and a raw rookie 5th round pick- with a year plus playing experience at the FCS level after transitioning from playing TE in 8 man football- being so important to this team.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Callers who said this were run off the air after Week One.

The Bills have become dependent on Allen, not as far as Seattle has with Wilson, but dependent.

He is asked to dodge pressure, overcome no run game, be the leading rusher, pass 47 times a game, see every check down, yet stay aggressive.

My one beef with Allen is he tends to be loose with the football in terms of fumbles. 

But he gives it absolutely everything he has to win every week. 

it’s hard to assemble a strong defense, pay a qb AND have a complete offense. 

that’s going to be a common thread and we will need to draft excellent. There’s a reason why I beat the “go all in” drum the last two years. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Absolutely hilarious and sad that Sean McDermott is just realizing this.

Me and other (Few posters) said this all off season. It's why some of us were pounding the table for more weapons added this offseason, upgrade at RB, and shore up the offensive line more.

What did Brandon Beane and McDermott do? Defense. Added more and more defense. That's all they've done since arriving in WNY. Boogie Basham our second round pick is in street clothes on Sundays.

It's pathetic that we expect 1 player (#17) to do it all AND, continue to not give him more support by adding more weapons.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.