0.22 Yards before contact in the running game.

damj

Just now, billsfan1959 said:

You needed to hear that to know how bad the oline was yesterday?

Many people in this forum feel a different running back would solve all the problem in the run game.  I’m of the belief that the problem lies within the OL.  Very few running backs are going to be as successful getting hit behind the LOS 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 8
  • Thank you (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, damj said:

Per WGR ... our RBs had an average of 0.22 yards before contact.

That's less than 8 inches.

Very telling stat just how bad the o-line was.

Again, this was the same problem last year and Beane decided to keep the same starting oline intact.

And for a team that apparently values analytics and advanced metrics you really have to wonder what they are looking at to assume to hold the line and not make big time changes to the oline.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I assume that stat is from only yesterday?  In which case, it's a garbage stat (not that our blocking & running game isn't garbage).  RBs had like what, 8 carries?

I assume a decent number is between 2-3 yds.  W/ only 8 carries, you get caught behind the LOS even only 2 times & voila, that's how it averages 8".

That stat flies in the face of my naked eye that thinks they are barely getting the handoff before first contact

1 minute ago, Ethan in Portland said:

And the so called wizard did nothing to address it.

That 2022 second round pick isn't blocking anyone this year

I really dont have a problem with Boogie....I have a problem that they are not playing him

Spencer looks like he is a find.  They should have done MORE.  Also there is obviously something wrong with Dawkins?  Covid related?

2 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

Then why keep calling runs? 

So the opposing defense has to at least account for it a little bit in their scheme?

20 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Doesn't matter.  It's Singletary's fault and if we had a better running back, we'd be undefeated and they'd cancel the Super Bowl right now because it would be moot to even bother playing it.

While I don't agree with this sarcasm the OL isn't the only blame here. The RBs are slow and have no vision. Everytime I bring up signing a back in the forum everyone says they don't want to pay one. Nobody that plays this team is afraid of one of these backs breaking one asks talking it to the house.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Again, this was the same problem last year and Beane decided to keep the same starting oline intact.

And for a team that apparently values analytics and advanced metrics you really have to wonder what they are looking at to assume to hold the line and not make big time changes to the oline.

There plenty of games where it was not a problem last year. The line plays decently sometimes, terribly other times.

This is not an oline that will prevent you from ever winning. Yes, in some games they are really bad. But in others they do give Allen time to throw. I remember some games last year where Allen had an eternity to throw. For whatever reason, they struggled. Having two starters out was part of the problem.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

There plenty of games where it was not a problem last year. The line plays decently sometimes, terribly other times.

This is not an oline that will prevent you from ever winning. Yes, in some games they are really bad. But in others they do give Allen time to throw. I remember some games last year where Allen had an eternity to throw. For whatever reason, they struggled. Having two starters out was part of the problem.

Seriously Dude, no one has said that, but we had Super Bowl aspirations until this line took a ***** this year.

25 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

They drafted our starting RT in the 3rd round as well as some more developmental projects. I think this offseason will see the OL as a priority (as WR and DL were previously), as well as getting younger at WR. You can’t do it all at once, unfortunately. 

17 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:
18 minutes ago, TheProcess said:

Then why keep calling runs? 

So the opposing defense has to at least account for it a little bit in their scheme?

That wasn’t really what I meant by that question. Of course they should run. They have to at least try it. But your coordinator knows the oline is struggling and does nothing to adjust to protect them. Just remains steadfast in his belief in his game plan. That stubbornness is not a great quality. You have to protect your line through different play calling. Been saying this all day in other threads. Eric Wood just said as much on WGR with Bulldog too. 

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The Jets DL gave up 7 yards before contact on the ground last week ….

so we should improve by approx 4 Inches with this OL

All it's going to take is a big play early and the Jets will get hyped and it'll be another long day.  The Bills are a delicate flower that are finesse based.  All I'll ask of the O if that's the case is to take as long as they can off the clock in 3 downs to give the D a breather.  Who knows, maybe the Jets will fumble 90 yards into their own end zone and we'll have a shot at the mysterious and nearly unachievable 'touchdown'

I’d love to know if there’s a stat on how fast a RB gets to the LOS.  I guess that’d be hard to measure based on how far behind LOS the RB gets the ball and what route they take to the LOS.  Yes the run blocking stinks but seems like our RB’s run with no violence or aggression.  Just like a QB holding the ball too long effects pass blocking success, a RB who can’t hit a hole hard effects the run blocking.  

30 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

To be fair, we would have to see what the league average is.

But yes, .22 yards sounds very bad

that is horrific 

to the point I highly question its accuracy. The guys would be getting hit at the exchange. On every single play. 

28 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Yes.  Without context, I’m not sure what that number should mean.  

do you believe 8 inches before contact would seem abnormal by your eye? 

53 minutes ago, Starr Almighty said:

While I don't agree with this sarcasm the OL isn't the only blame here. The RBs are slow and have no vision. Everytime I bring up signing a back in the forum everyone says they don't want to pay one. Nobody that plays this team is afraid of one of these backs breaking one asks talking it to the house.

432404394_ScreenShot2021-11-08at3_57_04AM.png.6d842ce53bc567aa76a0f1a9bcef523f.png

The hand off isn't even completed yet.  Where is Moss going.  The guy blowing by Dawkins is the inside rusher and gets to Moss immediately.  The edge rusher is unblocked.  Diggs and Beasley didn't even try to sell it.  This happens all game.

Edited by Scott7975

4 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

432404394_ScreenShot2021-11-08at3_57_04AM.png.6d842ce53bc567aa76a0f1a9bcef523f.png

The hand off isn't even completed yet.  Where is Moss going.  The guy blowing by Dawkins is the inside rusher and gets to Moss immediately.  The edge rusher is unblocked.  Diggs and Beasley didn't even try to sell it.  This happens all game.

I said it's a combo of the two. If you don't think the starting RB on this team is bottom 3 in the league then I can't help you there. But he is. Again the OL isn't helping him but he's not talented with vision, speed nor power.

7 minutes ago, Starr Almighty said:

I said it's a combo of the two. If you don't think the starting RB on this team is bottom 3 in the league then I can't help you there. But he is. Again the OL isn't helping him but he's not talented with vision, speed nor power.

Im not going to sit here and say they are great but no name backs still manage a running game all over the league because the o line can block.  That is all we need. A rushing game that can get 3-4 yards.  We don't need a Henry.  We need an o line that can open a damn hole against 4 guys.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Success said:

I feel like our line shouldn't be this bad.  Right now, they're playing worse than they did last year.

Talent-wise, it's much more middlin', imo. Am I wrong on that?  It seems like they should be capable of better play.

We can get by with this line: 

Dawkins - Feliciano - Morse - Williams - Brown 

We drop considerably with any other combination.  Take two players out like now and we are below average. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.