Losing enthusiasm for football

The Red King

I understand.

If you decide to keep watching is your personal decision.

I found enough reasons not to that I stopped. It put a ton of time and money back into play for me.

For me, I came to understand that football is a fantasy.

Ironically I listen to sports radio now even though I don't care, because reality is worse lol.

It's pleasant to listen to something meaningless when I'm driving to and from work :)

As for your pain, this is what I did.

A loss would leave me really feeling down on Sunday, and then all day Monday too.

Stop eating sugar. No nothing with sugar starting at least by training camp.

You will become very sensitive to sugar.

Have a big cookie or something handy on game days.

If they lose, eat it.

I kid you not, you will feel fine.

You'll have no pain.

Gone.

It's extremely powerful *if* your body isn't used to sugar.

Try it you will see.

1 hour ago, The Red King said:

Yeah, call it a potential overreaction to today, but even before the game started, watching felt like a chore, not a boon.

Football meant everything to me.  It was quality time with my dad, who taught me all about it.  One of my best memories of my dad was being together at the stadium for The Comeback.  It was in my blood.

But now it seems the wins feel good, but the losses feel so much worse.  I'm watching the games on my own now, my kids aren't into football.

My stress levels are through the roof on close games.  Today was miserable.  A loss, bad coaching, bad playing, abyssmal officiating (for the first time I am seriously wondering if the NFL is fixed/scripted).  And it's not over.  This loss is going to stay with me and haunt me.

I'm wondering if it's worth it anymore.  If the good feelings are worth the bad feelings and time commited.  Yes, a Super Bowl win would be euphoric.  But the odds are against that.  Would anything else, even a season ending in a Super Bowl loss, be worth the time and torment invested?  It's like buying an expensive emotional lottery ticket.

I'm...kinda starting to think not, that this just isn't worth it.  Anyone else feel the same, or at least understand?

I know what you mean. Had a couple of ***** weeks culminated with having to bury my father in law yesterday. Flew home from Buffalo last night, had tickets but didn’t feel like driving over from Orlando, just exhausted emotionally, physically. Glad I didn’t waste the time. But the losses really sting these days, and I used to talk about every game to my father in law. We shared a mutual hatred of New England & love of football and the Bills. But that is gone now and all this can seem like a big emotional waste of time after days like these.

I said the same thing today. The gut wrenching losses give me more pain than the wins give me joy.  So not sure how to deal with that going forward. It’s especially tough when the club has Super Bowl potential (or at least we think they did).  

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

I know what you mean. Had a couple of ***** weeks culminated with having to bury my father in law yesterday. Flew home from Buffalo last night, had tickets but didn’t feel like driving over from Orlando, just exhausted emotionally, physically. Glad I didn’t waste the time. But the losses really sting these days, and I used to talk about every game to my father in law. We shared a mutual hatred of New England & love of football and the Bills. But that is gone now and all this can seem like a big emotional waste of time after days like these.

My condolences.  Maybe that's part of it for me.  My daughter was a fan for a couple years, but no longer.  I'm watching these alone now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, The Red King said:

Yeah, call it a potential overreaction to today, but even before the game started, watching felt like a chore, not a boon.

Football meant everything to me.  It was quality time with my dad, who taught me all about it.  One of my best memories of my dad was being together at the stadium for The Comeback.  It was in my blood.

But now it seems the wins feel good, but the losses feel so much worse.  I'm watching the games on my own now, my kids aren't into football.

My stress levels are through the roof on close games.  Today was miserable.  A loss, bad coaching, bad playing, abyssmal officiating (for the first time I am seriously wondering if the NFL is fixed/scripted).  And it's not over.  This loss is going to stay with me and haunt me.

I'm wondering if it's worth it anymore.  If the good feelings are worth the bad feelings and time commited.  Yes, a Super Bowl win would be euphoric.  But the odds are against that.  Would anything else, even a season ending in a Super Bowl loss, be worth the time and torment invested?  It's like buying an expensive emotional lottery ticket.

I'm...kinda starting to think not, that this just isn't worth it.  Anyone else feel the same, or at least understand?

Geezus, it’s a game.  Relax.  

I hate losing as much as anyone, but once it’s over it’s over.  How anyone let’s a sports team losing drag them down so much emotionally is puzzling to me.  

I was in Buffalo for the first time ever to go to opening day and first Bills home game.  We lost.  I still had an amazing trip and amazing experience.  

Friday my parents called to tell me that my stepdad has lung cancer and begins radiation treatment soon.  That’s the kind of stuff to worry about or stress over, not a sports game.  

I won my suicide pool today thanks to the Cowboys, so I’m still in a good mood even though Bills crapped the bed and my phone is full of mocking text messages from friends.  

Go outside or do something fun with your kids.  Who cares about the loss, it’s over, it’s one week, it’s one game.  On to the next game, it’s a long season.

The college game is just so much better in so many ways.  NFL games are almost unwatchable.  Penalty flags almost every snap, brutal injuries all over the field, and like 1/2 a dozen reviews every half.  The games has zero pace and flow, just a bad product to watch.

I heard a great quote this week about the NHL that I think also applies to NFL.  Hockey is a great sport, the NHL is a crap league.  Football is a great sport, the NFL is a crap league.

2 hours ago, The Red King said:

I feel you. I've started paying attention less and less. My kids aren't into it and it just doesn't feel as important as it used to be...and I feel myself slowly losing enthusiasm for the stress that comes with sports in general. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I remember when the time between when I woke up and kickoff was torture.  OMG is it 1 yet?  I'll watch the pregame show, but hrrrgh!  The thought of even missing the opening kickoff was blasphemy.  If I had to miss a game, if possible I'd be checking my phone for updates.  I was excited, regardless of how good or bad the Bills or their opponents were.

This season is different.  Today, it was, "Oh, wait.  It's 12:55?  Guess I better put the game on."

• Dislike 1

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Lost it long ago. No longer emotionally invested in this team or this game. It is pure entertainment and like today when it wasn’t entertaining it got shut off and went to do something else. 

LOL; you've been probably the most active poster post-game!  If that's not emotionally invested, I don't know what is.

2 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

LOL; you've been probably the most active poster post-game!  If that's not emotionally invested, I don't know what is.

Nope this is entertainment I enjoy the interaction it is fun. see how that works? ENTERTAINMENT 

Edited by MAJBobby

2 hours ago, Rick 'r Mortis said:

I feel the same, in a way. I'll watch every Sunday...I just don't care when they lose anymore. When they were stopped at the end of the Titans game I remembering thinking 'oh well'. I'm already over today's game.

May or may not watch some Sunday night football, will probably watch a movie or play some video games.

As long as you don't get yourself thinking they have a chance to get to the super bowl you'll be alright.  Don't let them set you up for the BIG LETDOWN!  This team is NOT a super bowl contender, mark my words.

I've tried to pull away before - not just from Bills fandom, but sports in general. 

Sports is very few moments of joy, and tons of anguish.

But it's like a limb or something.  You can't really get away from it.  If I try not to watch a game, people still text me, I still end up checking in, it's all still there.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, The Red King said:

Therapy may be an option in your situation. 

Well, my favorite college team, my alma mater, the worst FBS team in the country, finally broke its 20 game losing streak yesterday (mostly due to Cal losing 10 starters and 24 players total to injury and Covid protocols, but still a win is a win). So yippie! Follow that up with today's absolute abomination of a Bills' game, and you have a perfect example of the roller coaster of sports. I generally just watch games where one of my teams is playing.

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, The Red King said:

'm wondering if it's worth it anymore.  If the good feelings are worth the bad feelings and time commited.  Yes, a Super Bowl win would be euphoric.  But the odds are against that.  Would anything else, even a season ending in a Super Bowl loss, be worth the time and torment invested?  It's like buying an expensive emotional lottery ticket.

The emotional lottery ticket is a feature, not a bug!

It's entertainment, not life!

There's no good reason why I commit to spending 3.5 hours every Sunday to watch a bunch of guys who have little or no connection to the city of my birth tug on a uniform with a stylized bison on it and pretend to be playing for the honor of Buffalo and all of Western New York. There's more reason for me to go to my kids' high school games - I actually know these kids and their families and enjoy seeing them do well. And I know they're really good kids and families, whereas if I'm a Raiders fan I might spend my time hoping that a moral abomination like Henry Ruggs succeeds on the field of play.

It's a game, it's a contrived emotional connection that works for me even though I know deep down it's not exactly the most important thing to spend my time thinking about. I remember (kind of) the Dolphins' 1972 perfect season. It was kind of a boring team, and if the fans of that team are honest, they'd have told you there wasn't much excitement in watching that season unfold. Super Bowl parades are kind of fun, but really, not as fun as people make them out to be (I went to a couple when I lived in other cities that actually won Super Bowls.) You stand around in the cold and get a glimpse of some guys on a truck waving. Super Bowl parades are not what makes being a fan fun. Not knowing what's going to happen week by week is what makes being a fan fun. 

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, The Red King said:

Yes, I’m feeling the same way even before this game. Even when this team is winning there are often serious problems with the coaching. There’s no guarantee they’ll ever get back to another AFC championship. Rex made two and the Jags were in one fairly recently so it’s not necessarily a sign of continued success. 

I’ve already stopped following hockey for obvious reasons. The O’Reilly trade was the last straw. 

I used to be a huge baseball fan growing up and followed the Atlanta Braves. They’re the only team I’ve ever followed to win a championship, back in ‘95. After years of heartbreaking losses and just not having the time to care about 162 games plus playoffs, I stopped caring. I didn’t even watch them win World Series this year. 

Football is the last sport I care about, but it’s really frustrating to watch a team this talented struggle like this. The coaching decisions are mind-boggling, bordering on unacceptable at times. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, The Red King said:

Yep. But after every game, look at the players. Sure, they go in the locker room and put on a good show of despair and questioning. But it's a game for them.

For some reason it's tough to take the same attitude as a fan. Probably because most of us aren't millionaires.

Yesterdays game felt like a chore watching it.  MY buddie who I go to the games with called me up in the morning and wanted to see if I wanted to go to Byrnecliff in the afternoon.  It was a beautiful day here and I probably would of but I have been fighting a head cold this week and although it was in the mid 50s and sunny here, it was a bit breezy and I didnt want to make it worse.  I don't get to upset about the losses anymore.  It used to ruin my whole week when I was younger.  Yesterday felt like a gut punch though, just a horrible game against a horrible team.  If anything though it makes that NE Monday night game a bit more interesting as that could be for first place.  

11 hours ago, IronyAbounds said:

Well, my favorite college team, my alma mater, the worst FBS team in the country, finally broke its 20 game losing streak yesterday (mostly due to Cal losing 10 starters and 24 players total to injury and Covid protocols, but still a win is a win). So yippie! Follow that up with today's absolute abomination of a Bills' game, and you have a perfect example of the roller coaster of sports. I generally just watch games where one of my teams is playing.

Yeah I know Arizona is pretty bad and they had that losing streak but believe me I gamble a lot on college football and there are a few other teams that are worst then them.  Ucon & Umass would like to say hello.  Anyways, congrats on the big win against Cal and to finally ring that victory bell, keep your chin up kid, college basketball starts this week!

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, pocoboy said:

Yep. But after every game, look at the players. Sure, they go in the locker room and put on a good show of despair and questioning. But it's a game for them.

For some reason it's tough to take the same attitude as a fan. Probably because most of us aren't millionaires.

This is what I’ve been saying for years. The Bills fans care one heck of a lot more than the players do. I’ve watched this team for over half a century and I’ve rarely seen players who take it all that personally. I want somebody to get mad!  But, I don’t think this team…and certainly NOT their coaching staff, are built for getting mad. It will be their downfall. 

• Like (+1) 1

Thank you for the replies.  Think I'm gonna try taking a step back.  Not gonna watch the Jets game.  Will check the score on my phone from time to time.  Honestly, I already do that for the KC Royals (born in Buffalo, raised in Omaha) and the Sabres, and it seems to work well enough.

Gonna have to trade in my die-hard fan card, but this might well be better for me.  Thanks again!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

I’m taking this weekend off also, need a break.  The wins don’t do anything for me anymore, even KC, and the loses are just brutal.  Just can’t keep doing this with my time and money year after year.

The league itself is unwatchable at this point.  Every play there is a flag, injury or a review.  Football is a great sport, the NFL is a bad league.  I’ll stick to Saturday college football, which still is fun to me and my boys.

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, The Red King said:

The KC win felt amazing.  The Titans loss was crushing.  As far as emotional high/lows, they equaled out.

I kina see what you're saying OP.

In that regard, Parcells (Marv?) said he knew he had to leave the game when the lows of the losses stopped overcoming the highs of the wins.

Maybe take @LeGOATskiadvice and step away a bit.

I've missed alot of game action this yr due to Sun conference calls...and honestly I feel better.

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Go watch the Sabres. That should make you feel better.

I kid you not on Saturday I was like "heck the Sabres haven't been bad lets give it a whirl"  10 seconds in get scored on and the 1st period was as bad as the last decade. That was all of the Sabres for me that night haha

• Haha (+1) 1

In regards to the OP, right before the Steelers game I realized I just don't care much anymore.  Yes, seeing the Bills do well makes me happy, but not as much as it used to.  Their loses annoy me but not like in the past.

League wide poor/inconsistent officiating plays a part in it too.  That and the older I get (early 40s) the more I realize how unimportant sports entertainment is.  I might as well stop letting the Bills make or break my Sundays.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, The Red King said:

A good post and something many of us have experienced at some point.

It really is about finding a balance. Everyone experiences their "fandom" differently. I am competitive and passionate by nature, and I learned long ago that my passion for my sports teams really had an impact on my life in general, in terms of game days and losses - in ways I didn't really like. I don't think you can ever stop being a fan or having an emotional investment in the teams you root for (at least for "diehard" fans); however, you can modify the way in which you choose to follow or "experience" your team(s) to achieve a better emotional balance.

I was one of those fans that had to find a better balance and I have. I find I deal with gamedays and losses better. I started my Bills fandom sharing it with my father (who passed away in 2016) and now primarily share it with my son who is married with a life of his own. My "adjustments" in how I follow the Bills have made sharing it with my son even more enjoyable.

I will say that I broke one of my rules and visited this site the day after a loss. I rarely do.

Anyway, I hope you can find that balance, my friend.

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, The Red King said:

5-3 and you are losing your enthusiasm... You seem to have more serious problems than football.

On 11/8/2021 at 11:25 AM, TBBills said:

5-3 and you are losing your enthusiasm... You seem to have more serious problems than football.

Did you even read the thread?  The win/loss record has nothing to do with it.  Stop reading thread titles and knee-jerk posting to them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

I feel you, OP.  As we get older and we have so many other responsibilities and hobbies or whatnot, it's painful to spend 3-4 hours of your weekend alone watching your team lose to the Jaguars or struggle to sneak by the Fins.  I often find myself just watching portions of the game now - maybe just one half, and then spending the rest of that time doing something with the kids, going for a bike ride/workout/hike or playing golf.  I still get amped for the primetime games and my family will typically play along and watch them with me, which makes it a little more fun - even if my rotten kids root for the other team just to needle me...lol.

Give yourself a two week break from watching and see how you feel about it.  Go do something you really enjoy during the game or something you know is good for you.  Sometimes a break is all you need to rekindle your enthusiasm.  Or maybe you'll find that your life is enriched by substituting something else for football watching.

Edited by TheBrownBear
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I’ve been feeling this as well. Never when I was younger though. The loses just seem to sting much more than they used too and the wins aren’t giving me as much joy. Not sure why this is, but it has me questioning my time spent on Sundays. Could have a lot to do with having a lot of stress in my life now though. 

Edited by Saint Doug
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.