Losing enthusiasm for football

The Red King

Just now, Conlan58 said:

I didn't swear. I merely censored the word funk. Like I said before - the bills are 5-3 with 9 games remaining and people are acting like we just got eliminated from playoff contention. I can't stand this reactionry BS, especially with this regime in place.

Lol you clearly said "shut the F up", don't backtrack or try to justify anything there.

I am not even saying you're wrong. I Just don't understand the need to swear/attack people.

Anyways, have a good night.

• Agree 2

Just now, IronMaidenBills said:

Most people watch the games because they believe they are real battle of the will games and the best talent wins. Nobody wants scripted games or bettor influenced outcomes. The first whistleblower or scandal that even hints that, and it’s OVER for me. 

I wouldn't say scripted outcomes, but who can swing the games? The officials.

Time to turn it to AI otherwise it'll never get better. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The Red King said:

Not reactionary.  Reread my posts please.

Lol... your first sentence literally includes the word "overreaction". I'm gonna take it as just that. We are all passionate bills fans here or else we wouldn't be arguing on a message board after a tough loss. I'm 34 and was too young to remember the u

Superbowl years. The mcbeane era has been the best of my fandom, and I live my life surrounded by spoiled new england fans. Sorry if a disappointing loss doesn't make me question my passion for the game. Bills still take the East. For years to come. 

Just now, Plano said:

I wouldn't say scripted outcomes, but who can swing the games? The officials.

Time to turn it to AI otherwise it'll never get better. 

I would be ok with automated game officiating. Make it so that rules and scenarios are programmed in to help keep biases out. I’m all for that. 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Yeah, call it a potential overreaction to today, but even before the game started, watching felt like a chore, not a boon.

Football meant everything to me.  It was quality time with my dad, who taught me all about it.  One of my best memories of my dad was being together at the stadium for The Comeback.  It was in my blood.

But now it seems the wins feel good, but the losses feel so much worse.  I'm watching the games on my own now, my kids aren't into football.

My stress levels are through the roof on close games.  Today was miserable.  A loss, bad coaching, bad playing, abyssmal officiating (for the first time I am seriously wondering if the NFL is fixed/scripted).  And it's not over.  This loss is going to stay with me and haunt me.

I'm wondering if it's worth it anymore.  If the good feelings are worth the bad feelings and time commited.  Yes, a Super Bowl win would be euphoric.  But the odds are against that.  Would anything else, even a season ending in a Super Bowl loss, be worth the time and torment invested?  It's like buying an expensive emotional lottery ticket.

I'm...kinda starting to think not, that this just isn't worth it.  Anyone else feel the same, or at least understand?

Then stop watching.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Lol you clearly said "shut the F up", don't backtrack or try to justify anything there.

I am not even saying you're wrong. I Just don't understand the need to swear/attack people.

Anyways, have a good night.

It's not my fault you decided to force a swear word into my mouth. The asterisks leave it up to interpretation, and if you'd like to force anything into my mouth, please make it a shot of jameson.

• Eyeroll 4

27 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Yeah, call it a potential overreaction to today, but even before the game started, watching felt like a chore, not a boon.

Football meant everything to me.  It was quality time with my dad, who taught me all about it.  One of my best memories of my dad was being together at the stadium for The Comeback.  It was in my blood.

But now it seems the wins feel good, but the losses feel so much worse.  I'm watching the games on my own now, my kids aren't into football.

My stress levels are through the roof on close games.  Today was miserable.  A loss, bad coaching, bad playing, abyssmal officiating (for the first time I am seriously wondering if the NFL is fixed/scripted).  And it's not over.  This loss is going to stay with me and haunt me.

I'm wondering if it's worth it anymore.  If the good feelings are worth the bad feelings and time commited.  Yes, a Super Bowl win would be euphoric.  But the odds are against that.  Would anything else, even a season ending in a Super Bowl loss, be worth the time and torment invested?  It's like buying an expensive emotional lottery ticket.

I'm...kinda starting to think not, that this just isn't worth it.  Anyone else feel the same, or at least understand?

Just had same conversation with my wife.

Sports have done zero for me in life but let me down and waste valuable time.

• Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, The Red King said:

I'm thinking in a few more years (I'm 47 now) that football will become like baseball to me where I just check the final scores the day after.  Age will do that do you where games are just...games...

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Gene1973 said:

The way they lost exposed weaknesses. They will have more than 3 losses the rest of the way, and likely lose the division to Mac Jones. Many fans expected better. I can see how some are at the end of their rope, especially the fans who have been at this for decades and thought the Bills were finally good.

We are good, we played like crap today. Any given Sunday, it happens. Moving onto the Jets. 

I’ve been a fan since the OJ days in the 70’s. It peaked during the Super Bowl years when I’d swear and hit the wall after the losses. After that with the years of mediocrity I learned to accept that they’d likely never win a Super Bowl. So now I watch the games more objectively, don’t blame the refs, and don’t get emotional over wins and losses. Now my adult son is the one who’s in the emotional stage. He blames me for making him a Bills fan. 😁

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.