[Edit -Released by Raiders] Henry Ruggs involved in a fatal car crash, "DUI resulting in death" charges expected

DCOrange

1 hour ago, CorkScrewHill said:

It is not necessarily that they don’t care .. when you are young you just feel invincible… “I got this” mentality.

This particular piece of ******* very well may be a great guy who made a collassal misjudgment that will impact the victims family and his forever. 

“In April 2020, Henry Ruggs partnered with Three Square, a southern Nevada food bank, to donate meals to those in need because of the COVID-19 pandemic. On May 7, 2020, Ruggs’ daughter was born.”

Tragic for all parties involved, except the lawyers of course.

So you’re saying having an 18 month old at home and boozing it up until 4AM on a weeknight is a check mark in the “great guy” column?

6 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

So you’re saying having an 18 month old at home and boozing it up until 4AM on a weeknight is a check mark in the “great guy” column?

I don’t believe that’s what he meant. I think he was trying show some good he did (food drive) as an example of him POSSIBLY being a good guy made a huge mistake.  I myself think he just has a ten cent brain.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

I mean I am sure the 18 month old wasn't home alone. I have no idea what the Raiders rules are him being out and being drunk (did it happen during their bye?) but going out and having fun in and of itself doesn't prove he is not a great guy. 

The moment he got behind a wheel in that state there became a problem. 

• Like (+1) 4

worst mistake he will ever make.  I'm not gonna say Ive never driven DUI Just nothing bad ever happened...I never was even arrested for it and lucky. HIS Bad to at what speed to have been traveling and wammo slam into a car killing the person in front of you Allegedly*

Uber was the total game changer for me. If I plan to party we have Uber on speed dial.  Mr Rugg has a c ollege degree with a stellar talent and career FLUSHED and someone died. Its fooking tragic.

Just dont drink and drive. My prayers to Both families. SMH 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

I have no idea about the type of person that Ruggs is. He may or may not be a "great guy." Nor do I have any facts as to what transpiered that evening. What I do know is that it is possible to be a good person and make some bad choices, or even do something bad, with tragic consequences. They are not mutually exclusive.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, TBBills said:

All these piece of ***** people care about is looking good in a car they own. They don't give a ***** about someone's life as long as they can drive that hot ***** to the club.

Careful there… you realize that spoiled rich white kids crash their cars all of the time, too, right?

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

Please provide the specific quote where I stated or even implied that he is a good guy. I stated he might be, I don't know. Do you know? Having worked with young people for decades I can assure you there are some self-centered ***** and some really nice people both groups who end up making foolish and sometimes every costly (to them or others) mistakes.

My reference was he helped a food bank (a good thing to do). This also does not prove he is a "good" guy, but you cannot take one incident and from that evaluate a person's full life. Admittedly, you are probably the incarnation of Mary Poppins herself so you can throw stones, but for the rest of us we are flawed. Oh except that you misread / mischaracterized what I said, so I guess you are not so perfect after all.

BTW - Do I think he will and should be punished .. Yes 100%.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Apparently Rugg's girlfriend/Baby Mama was also seriously injured in the crash.

2 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

2 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

I don’t believe that’s what he meant. I think he was trying show some good he did (food drive) as an example of him POSSIBLY being a good guy made a huge mistake.  I myself think he just has a ten cent brain.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I mean I am sure the 18 month old wasn't home alone. I have no idea what the Raiders rules are him being out and being drunk (did it happen during their bye?) but going out and having fun in and of itself doesn't prove he is not a great guy. 

The moment he got behind a wheel in that state there became a problem. 

I agree with points all of you make, but I am just going to jump in here for merper, but he doesn't really need me to hop in.

I believe when merper referenced an 18 month old at home it wasn't a comment about that night, but rather that he isn't a kid, per se anymore.  He's young, but he IS a dad.  He has responsibilities that go beyond himself and his own "invincibility" or behavior.

and maybe the phrase makers have been wrong recently.  Maybe the most important  "ability" is responsibility.    

Along with the all time reigning phrase champion...nothing good happens after 2 A.M.

Utter tragedy for those involved that we all know didn't need to happen.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

I can't judge Ruggs' character on this one event - my best friend of almost three decades has a DUI in her past, although she thankfully only injured a fence, a tree, and her car when she wrecked. But I will say I just don't understand driving while under the influence. Vegas is a whole different world though. I love visiting but can't imagine living around that kind of available excess 24/7, especially as a young, rich individual.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I agree with points all of you make, but I am just going to jump in here for merper, but he doesn't really need me to hop in.

I believe when merper referenced an 18 month old at home it wasn't a comment about that night, but rather that he isn't a kid, per se anymore.  He's young, but he IS a dad.  He has responsibilities that go beyond himself and his own "invincibility" or behavior.

and maybe the phrase makers have been wrong recently.  Maybe the most important  "ability" is responsibility.    

Along with the all time reigning phrase champion...nothing good happens after 2 A.M.

Utter tragedy for those involved that we all know didn't need to happen.

See I just don't buy the bolded. I am capable of being out after 4am at an age where someone could certainly say "I'm old enough to know better" and I can do so without getting behind a wheel of a car drunk. Or, frankly, in any way risking anyone else's life. I don't buy that simply by being out late and having a drink (whether he is a dad or not) he is in some way inviting trouble. The point at which he invited trouble was when he got behind the wheel of a car drunk, which was likely to endanger lives - both his and those of others. Unfortunately on this occasion it did with devastating and tragic consequences. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

See I just don't buy the bolded. I am capable of being out after 4am at an age where someone could certainly say "I'm old enough to know better" and I can do so without getting behind a wheel of a car drunk. Or, frankly, in any way risking anyone else's life. I don't buy that simply by being out late and having a drink (whether he is a dad or not) he is in some way inviting trouble. The point at which he invited trouble was when he got behind the wheel of a car drunk, which was likely to endanger lives - both his and those of others. Unfortunately on this occasion it did with devastating and tragic consequences. 

Solid, Gunner.  

However, please know that if I converse with anyone outside of this thread in the real world  about this topic I am going to reiterate what I said, but also then take credit for your comments, claiming them as my own.

It just makes me look smarter.  Referencing you would just muck things up and in my world no one knows who you are.  

Don't be mad, brother, it's just 2021.

😂  :thumbsup:

• Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Process said:

What % of people calling for a maximum sentence and for him to rot in prison do you think have driven when they shouldn't have at least once in their life? 90%+?

Yes he messed up. Yes he should be punished and spend time in jail. But he's 22yo. It's a sad situation all around.

What % of people have lost a loved one to a drunk driver. Tell that person that the individual who killed their daughter, son, mother or father…”hey, he’s just 22. He just messed up. Kinda like a whoopsie. Cut him some slack.”  

Get real

• Eyeroll 1

4 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

It is not necessarily that they don’t care .. when you are young you just feel invincible… “I got this” mentality.

This particular piece of ******* very well may be a great guy who made a collassal misjudgment that will impact the victims family and his forever. 

“In April 2020, Henry Ruggs partnered with Three Square, a southern Nevada food bank, to donate meals to those in need because of the COVID-19 pandemic. On May 7, 2020, Ruggs’ daughter was born.”

Tragic for all parties involved, except the lawyers of course.

3 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Every player's agent team PR staff pairs them up with some local charity for the soup kitchen/hospitalized kid photo ops as soon as they sign with a team.

It's meaningless in this context.  He got drunk, got in his car and rammed another car, burning it's occupants alive. 

1 hour ago, billsfan1959 said:

I have no idea about the type of person that Ruggs is. He may or may not be a "great guy." Nor do I have any facts as to what transpiered that evening. What I do know is that it is possible to be a good person and make some bad choices, or even do something bad, with tragic consequences. They are not mutually exclusive.

This might not be a popular thing to say but DWI is a crime that is often committed by men and women who did not, or don't as a rule commit other criminal acts. Many would be surprised at exactly who was/will be driving home after parties during the upcoming holiday season. Ma and Pa Legit will be all over our roads in December, tanked. Lots of these folks are also doing other things that would seem out of character after these parties. Alcohol is a very strange substance.

Now, when a Crip gets locked up for a gang related shooting, do you think that he will almost always have a sheet full of prior serious crimes? The answer is of course he will! Crime is a part of everyday life to many people right here in this country.  There is no reason to believe that Ruggs is one of these people.

Now, the above doesn't help the family of the deceased, nor does it make what Ruggs did OK. He deserves to be punished and certainly will be. He is not a politician who can kill someone and get away with it.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Every player's agent team PR staff pairs them up with some local charity for the soup kitchen/hospitalized kid photo ops as soon as they sign with a team.

It's meaningless in this context.  He got drunk, got in his car and rammed another car, burning it's occupants alive. 

Ya know, WEO, many times in life, justifiably or not, we soften the harsh reality of events around us.  Whether we do it based upon our humanity or as a defense mechanism, I have no idea.

...but yeah, what you wrote above IS the reality of it, too.  Some might say it is harsh.  It isn't.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I actually mentioned that doing the food bank thing doesn't prove he is a good guy in a follow up post. He got drunk, got in his car and ..."

Doesn't mean he is a bad guy. It does mean he made at least one horrifically flawed decision in his life and now regardless of whether he is a piece of ***** or a good guy (my point of my originally post is none of us know him) he is a guy that is going to prison for a long-time and his family and the family of the other driver will never be the same.

13 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

This might not be a popular thing to say but DWI is a crime that is often committed by men and women who did not, or don't as a rule commit other criminal acts. Many would be surprised at exactly who was/will be driving home after parties during the upcoming holiday season. Ma and Pa Legit will be all over our roads in December, tanked. Lots of these folks are also doing other things that would seem out of character after these parties. Alcohol is a very strange substance.

Now, when a Crip gets locked up for a gang related shooting, do you think that he will almost always have a sheet full of prior serious crimes? The answer is of course he will! Crime is a part of everyday life to many people right here in this country.  There is no reason to believe that Ruggs is one of these people.

Now, the above doesn't help the family of the deceased, nor does it make what Ruggs did OK. He deserves to be punished and certainly will be. He is not a politician who can kill someone and get away with it.

Absolutely right. Anyone who has experience in the criminal justice system understands the complexities that exist in evaluating crimes and those who commit them. I am absolutely about personal responsibility and holding people accountable for their actions. I also understand that each and every case is different and needs to be evaluated individually - even when a loss of life is involved.

• Like (+1) 1

Not sure if I buy this but I guess we should wait for the blood test results.

Having been in a pretty severe accident before myself, I can attest to being very dazed and confused from the impact.

The police came and I was so dazed from the impact that I couldn’t really even explain what had just happened in the accident. About the only thing I was able to tell the police was that she was driving very fast.

My ears were ringing. My head was spinning. I had a hard time concentrating on anything being said to me. But I was up and moving/walking around outside the car and had to be talked into even being taken to the hospital.

The lady who hit me ended up telling the cops some BS and I got a ticket for the accident even though she was speeding toward a red light and a line of stopped cars (100ft ahead of her) at a very high rate of speed. I had to fight it in court. 

I’m not saying I believe Rugg’s lawyer, just that I can see where the accident could have caused him to seem impaired.

But I definitely question the way his lawyer worded that statement saying Ruggs “doesn’t believe” he was drunk. Why say “doesn’t believe” if Ruggs wasn’t drinking? Why not just say Ruggs wasn’t drinking? Maybe I’m just reading too much into the “doesn’t think” part of the statement, but it seems to me like it’s a good possibility that Ruggs was at least drinking but maybe he thinks he was above the legal limit? 

At the very least it sounds like he was driving very recklessly though.

edit - yup he was drunk

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Shocked 2

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Ya know, WEO, many times in life, justifiably or not, we soften the harsh reality of events around us.  Whether we do it based upon our humanity or as a defense mechanism, I have no idea.

...but yeah, what you wrote above IS the reality of it, too.  Some might say it is harsh.  It isn't.

That video gets shown to a jury and he won't be getting the 2 year minimum...

53 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

I actually mentioned that doing the food bank thing doesn't prove he is a good guy in a follow up post. He got drunk, got in his car and ..."

Doesn't mean he is a bad guy. It does mean he made at least one horrifically flawed decision in his life and now regardless of whether he is a piece of ***** or a good guy (my point of my originally post is none of us know him) he is a guy that is going to prison for a long-time and his family and the family of the other driver will never be the same.

Good guy, bad guy....doesn't matter.  "Good guys" occasionally kill people through acts of passion/rage or stupidity.  The laws aren't written to account for good or bad guys.  And there's no reason to believe that this is the "one" time he has made this horrifically flawed decision.  It's just the first time he got caught/wrecked ad car/killed someone.  It's pretty easy to assume he drove drunk on occasion...

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I believe teams do, but it's said the players don't want to use it.  They don't necessarily want the teams to know what they're up to.

At least as of a few years back, the NFLPA offered a car service that does not report who uses it to the teams.  You could both pre-plan rides and call in an emergency.

Makes sense they would not want the teams to know.  Although, would make sense for the teams to make them available no questions asked.

Not just getting behind the wheel drunk (sorry was at Top Golf and will know exactly what the bar tab was and may have been elsewhere too).

People make bad decisions, he compounded it by speeding and driving recklessly too.

Yep many may have driven 1-2 Kms (or miles) to a house/bar and had drinks.  95% I hope when returning home obey all signs, lights and drive the speed limit.

Edited by Billsfan1972

27 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Good guy, bad guy....doesn't matter.  "Good guys" occasionally kill people through acts of passion/rage or stupidity.  The laws aren't written to account for good or bad guys.  And there's no reason to believe that this is the "one" time he has made this horrifically flawed decision.  It's just the first time he got caught/wrecked ad car/killed someone.  It's pretty easy to assume he drove drunk on occasion...

Solid.

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

Makes sense they would not want the teams to know.  Although, would make sense for the teams to make them available no questions asked.

I think that's the gap the NFLPA tried to fill with their service which does not notify teams.  That said they probably have some procedure - a phone number or something - that the guys have to program into their phones ahead of time and then remember when they're boozed up to their eyeballs.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

where did I state it made a difference to the punishment. I specifically stated that he will and should be punished. My whole point, which you are for some reason disregarding, was to reject the statement that he was a "piece of ****" when we don't know jack-diddly about the dude. He was 100% wrong when he got behind the wheel after drinking, he was 100% wrong when he decided to speed .. and the dude will pay for it as will his family and the family of the victim. 

As for it's "pretty easy to assume" .. it is but an assumption of course is not fact. Just a guess on your part.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.