[Edit -Released by Raiders] Henry Ruggs involved in a fatal car crash, "DUI resulting in death" charges expected

DCOrange

Just now, LABILLBACKER said:

I've lost 2 close family friends to drunk drivers in the last 18 months. If he is guilty I hope he gets the maximum sentence. I have no tolerance for these idiotic a ss holes. Like he didn't have the money for an uber. Let him run fly routes in prison.

This doesn't make it any better, but I believe NFL players have access to ride share services free of charge anyways so he doesn't even need money for an Uber.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Also, for all of you on this board that occasionally drink and drive (and I know you're out there), remember that this could happen to you.

I have a cousin whose entire family (wife and 2 kids) was wiped out by a drunk driver.  Of course, the perp survived.

My rule is that if I take the car out of the house - I do not have a single drink.  If you intend to drink or think it's a possibility you might be tempted to, take an Uber or Lyft.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Also, for all of you on this board that occasionally drink and drive (and I know you're out there), remember that this could happen to you.

I have a cousin whose entire family (wife and 2 kids) was wiped out by a drunk driver.  Of course, the perp survived.

My rule is that if I take the car out of the house - I do not have a single drink.  If you intend to drink or think it's a possibility you might be tempted to, take an Uber or Lyft.

This.  I spent my late teens/early 20s working in a pediatric ER.

I am speaking my personal moral judgement here, not the law which varies from state to state but IMHO if you drink over the limit (or use drugs) and get behind the wheel of a car, intentional murder is just what you've done. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 4

6 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

This doesn't make it any better, but I believe NFL players have access to ride share services free of charge anyways so he doesn't even need money for an Uber.

Pretty sure most teams offer concierge type ride share where someone gets you and your car home safely and its available 24/7 to avoid DUI/DWI.  I'm sure the players do not want anyone associated with the team to know about their party habits though.

Edited by Jauronimo
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Unfortunately for someone who spends way, way too much on a tricked out green corvette, driving it - whether drunk or sober, and typically too fast - is the whole point. 
In the RB trade thread the name of Melvin Gordon came up. He signed a $16 million contract (almost all guaranteed) last year and then picked up a DUI pretty close to my home. If I had a spare 5 million or so you better believe I’d have a personal driver on call 24/7. But that’s not how young athletes think. It’s time they started. 

Edited by The Frankish Reich

17 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

If by some legal miracle he gets away with this, would an NFL team give him another chance?  I would hope not, if he is proven to have been drinking and the driver.

is this a real question? not only 1st rd pick, but elite speed like that YES. 32 teams will have files with their own information on him, not one single team wouldnt... and if they dont, its because they believe the hip injury to be career ending

4 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Pretty sure most teams offer concierge type ride share where someone gets you and your car home safely and its available 24/7 to avoid DUI/DWI.  I'm sure the payers do not want anyone associated with the team to know about their party habits though.

I can't find recent confirmation, but back in 2012 there was this information:

The NFL Players Association employs an independent safe-ride program for all its players. The program provides two services: pre-arranged transportation and an emergency response for intoxicated players with access to a vehicle. This service protects the anonymity of players, so teams aren't alerted when one of their players uses it.

And of course, nowadays one need only have one's cell phone to access Uber, Lyft, now many local cab companies - not to mention I think most of these players have their "people" so there's "phone a friend"

• Like (+1) 2

In all cases involving somebody who is deceased probably the number one factor in determining sentencing is intent. I doubt most drunk drivers have any intent to harm somebody, so in my mind that does make the person different than somebody who has intent to harm another. That said vehicular manslaughter is a very serious charge. Not murder one, but he's going away for awhile, certainly enough for his life to be all but destroyed. It's never worth it to risk this behavior. Not with Uber and all the options available today. Horrible decision, one I'm sure he has made dozens of times with no consequences until now.

If anything, I would be much more in favor of very strict penalties for drinking and driving. The way the crime is treated when it does or doesn't involve injury is essentially like playing Russian roulette. Any drunk driver could have just as easily had this become the outcome. Instead, for most, no outcome occurs or in the event of a DUI the penalty is not harsh enough. People don't think, "what if I get vehicular manslaughter tonight" they think, "I hope I don't get pulled over".  Until more severity is placed on making the decision at the start irresponsible people will roll the dice. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

If by some legal miracle he gets away with this, would an NFL team give him another chance?  I would hope not, if he is proven to have been drinking and the driver.

It's probably pretty tough for him to get off. Warrant for his blood level, they haven't said anyone else was in his car etc.  Unless they screw up chain of evidence with the blood or something he's looking at some serious time. 

8 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

If anything, I would be much more in favor of very strict penalties for drinking and driving.

It’s essential now. No one drinks more than the British yet they have a drunk driving rate that is negligible compared to us.  Why? The penalties are severe. We’ve made strides in the USA, but it’s still not enough. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

is this a real question? not only 1st rd pick, but elite speed like that YES. 32 teams will have files with their own information on him, not one single team wouldnt... and if they dont, its because they believe the hip injury to be career ending

Is yours a real question? 

Yes it is a real question.  If he  gets off for by some legal maneuvering and everyone "knows" he killed someone due to drunk driving, i think there would be a lot of hesitancy on the past of NFL teams to use him.

And you are wrong, not all 32 teams would go for him,   I can promise you the Texans wouldn't.  I would bet the Bills wouldn't.

But some team probably would, they gave Vick another chance but that was a different world back then.

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I can't find recent confirmation, but back in 2012 there was this information:

And of course, nowadays one need only have one's cell phone to access Uber, Lyft, now many local cab companies - not to mention I think most of these players have their "people" so there's "phone a friend"

There is no shame if a player needs to call a concierge service offered by the Union or a team if he gets carried away.  In fact, I would give him a lot of credit for making that very good decision. 

I’m not naive.  These young men want to have a good time and they should. Just don’t drive and leave weapons at home.   Have a plan. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

It’s essential now. No one drinks more than the British yet they have a drunk driving rate that is negligible compared to us.  Why? The penalties are severe. We’ve made strides in the USA, but it’s still not enough. 

It is a very odd crime when involving injury, it's like on one hand we acknowledge when it involves injury that the negligence reached such a substantial level that it deserves a charge in the family of murder. On the other, if it doesn't happen to involve injury, it's a fairly minor charge. It's almost treated like a fight. If you get in a fight, heck, even if somebody is hurt, probably little to nothing. If you kill the guy, even if it's not intentional (bangs head on concrete when he falls from a punch) then it usually goes into the murder family. In fights, we don't get to make as clear decisions in advance (my opinion). You still have time to make them, but it's not like driving intoxicated where you can plan your travel arrangements before you even leave. Even in the event of a surprise few drinks, you have plenty of time to reflect and make a decision even if you're somewhat impaired while doing so.       

13 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

It is a very odd crime when involving injury, it's like on one hand we acknowledge when it involves injury that the negligence reached such a substantial level that it deserves a charge in the family of murder. On the other, if it doesn't happen to involve injury, it's a fairly minor charge. It's almost treated like a fight. If you get in a fight, heck, even if somebody is hurt, probably little to nothing. If you kill the guy, even if it's not intentional (bangs head on concrete when he falls from a punch) then it usually goes into the murder family. In fights, we don't get to make as clear decisions in advance (my opinion). You still have time to make them, but it's not like driving intoxicated where you can plan your travel arrangements before you even leave. Even in the event of a surprise few drinks, you have plenty of time to reflect and make a decision even if you're somewhat impaired while doing so.       

I think you have a  key point when someone drives drunk and gets an accident involving serious injury or fatality, chances are good it is not the first or the second or the tenth time they have driven drunk (and likely gotten away with it). 

Sometimes the worst thing that can happen to a guy is to do something stupid or dangerous, and get away with it.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Talk about a Billion dollar talent with a ten cent brain! Come on man! Even is middle class people know enough call an Uber after just 1 drink! Now you went and ruined an innocent families life as well as your own families life. Just downright stupid and so easily avoidable. Ugh 

1 minute ago, PatsFanNH said:

Talk about a Billion dollar talent with a ten cent brain! Come on man! Even is middle class people know enough call an Uber after just 1 drink! Now you went and ruined an innocent families life as well as your own families life. Just downright stupid and so easily avoidable. Ugh 

I hate to agree with a PatsFan on any thing, but when you're right, you're right

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

It is a very odd crime when involving injury, it's like on one hand we acknowledge when it involves injury that the negligence reached such a substantial level that it deserves a charge in the family of murder. On the other, if it doesn't happen to involve injury, it's a fairly minor charge. It's almost treated like a fight.

You’ve hit on something that’s always bothered me in the law. We like to think we are punishing behavior: driving 90 mph in a 55 zone while drunk at the same day/night shouldn’t be treated differently just because a car happens to change lanes in front of Drunk A but not in front of Drunk B. That’s equal parts punishing bad acts

and bad luck. Of course, that doesn’t mean Drunk A shouldn’t do serious time; to me it means that we treat lucky Drunk B far too leniently. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

No info on Nevada law, but to me, speaking morally, you drink and get behind the wheel drunk and it's murder.

OK but do you think that a person in Rugg's situation deserves the same sentence as someone who intentionally murders someone? Or someone who rapes and murders a woman?

I'm sure that I know your answer to both of these questions. I'm just pointing out that there are different degrees of murder, and this would seem to fall into the manslaughter category if it happened in NY. The intent  was almost certainly not there and his prior record (whatever it happens to be) should surely be taken into account.

That said, I pray for the victim and his or her family.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think you have a  key point when someone drives drunk and gets an accident involving serious injury or fatality, chances are good it is not the first or the second or the tenth time they have driven drunk (and likely gotten away with it). 

Sometimes the worst thing that can happen to a guy is to do something stupid or dangerous, and get away with it.

There was a young kid near us in Florida who, with the help of attorneys and his parent’s money, got away with a couple DUI’s. The third time he killed a cop. That did NOT end well, for anyone. 

Edited by Augie
  • Angry 1

6 minutes ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

This is so avoidable and extremely selfish. Everyone knows what could happen if you drink and drive. This dude literally took someone’s life…intent is irrelevant in this situation for me. 

A guy I know through work had this happen. The person he hit while intoxicated died. He did 2-1/2 years. Granted Ruggs is not the average everyday citizen like we are, that's pretty much what he's looking at I believe. 

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I just don’t understand why someone with that much money doesn’t get an Uber.

$20-$50 would have saved lives and a young mans career.

I’m obviously with you, but they are young and probably have crazy expensive trophy cars, and they get off on the rush of it. Young and stupid, thinking they are above it all as they have been given preferred treatment most of their lives. Absolutely tragic on so many levels, for so many people, not just those in the car. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, JLO said:

Dante Stallworth anyone?

Stallworth is similar, but not the same.  He was drunk, but the other guy was also crossing a major highway, at night, in an area with no light if i remember right.  He deserved to be charged but its not the same as this incident.

17 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

OK but do you think that a person in Rugg's situation deserves the same sentence as someone who intentionally murders someone? Or someone who rapes and murders a woman?

I'm sure that I know your answer to both of these questions. I'm just pointing out that there are different degrees of murder, and this would seem to fall into the manslaughter category if it happened in NY. The intent  was almost certainly not there and his prior record (whatever it happens to be) should surely be taken into account.

That said, I pray for the victim and his or her family.

Fortunately for the world, we're spared from Hapless lawmaking.

Agree, prayers to the victim and their family

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This.  I spent my late teens/early 20s working in a pediatric ER.

I am speaking my personal moral judgement here, not the law which varies from state to state but IMHO if you drink over the limit (or use drugs) and get behind the wheel of a car, intentional murder is just what you've done. 

I completely respect your opinion but I am unable to see how you could arrive at it.

When a person is intox they are sometimes unable to make a rational, planned decision, unlike for instance a divorced man who murders his ex wife because she screwed around, or he doesn't want to pay child support. Gang violence is another example.

I am unable to place DUI in a class with the above offenses but as I said, I respect how you feel.

On another note, people who read my posts know that I am an Alabama Fan and have been for decades. I must say that some Alabama players go off the rails when they get away from Coach Saban, who has all but complete control over these kids. Dareus and Reuben Foster are 2 great examples. If Foster kept his head on straight he would be the best ILB in the NFL by a wide margin imo.

I never heard of any signs of Ruggs being a bad kid. What I DO see is that perhaps the fastest man in the NFL might have just taken a life and thrown away his own.

Very sad indeed.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, H2o said:

A guy I know through work had this happen. The person he hit while intoxicated died. He did 2-1/2 years. Granted Ruggs is not the average everyday citizen like we are, that's pretty much what he's looking at I believe. 

Your right, Ruggs is not you or I and in this world money does the talking…the guy you know is an everyday “Joe” and he did 2 1/2…then Ruggs probably gets probation and a fine(that’s what I’m expecting anyway,) and a year from now we will hear Chris Collinsworth giving him verbal BJs on Sunday Night Football telling people how rehabilitated he is and that it’s just a huge success story. It’s just gross and this man should be out of football for life, just as the family of the individual he killed will suffer….for life. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.