[Edit -Released by Raiders] Henry Ruggs involved in a fatal car crash, "DUI resulting in death" charges expected

DCOrange

Such a sad story for such a young man. Reminds me of when a drunk driver killed the entire wyo cross county team. I remember being in high school and the guy who did it came to our school to speak to us high school kids. I've lived in rural America my whole life, when I was younger I've made the same mistake way to much and very thankful I got lucky and never injured anyone. As I've aged you really do realize how dumb and stupid drinking and driving is. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Rockpile233 said:

Wow these details are horrifying. He should go away for a long time. It’s a whole different sort of person who would drive 150+ after boozing. Disgusting. My heart goes out to the innocent victims.

Beyond bad decision-making. Driving that fast while drunk indicates that something clearly wasn't right with this dude mentally.  That's a person that clearly doesn't care about their own wellbeing or life for that matter.  That's not one "bad decision".  Guy was a ticking time bomb and unfortunately he had to take someone out when he went off.

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Not sure if I buy this but I guess we should wait for the blood test results.

Yeah.  Although if it's true that they've already charged him and booked him into jail (which is what's being reported), I would say law enforcement is pretty durn sure.

https://news.yahoo.com/raiders-henry-ruggs-iii-booked-132249842.html

Above article states that Ruggs girlfriend/babymama was "seriously injured" in the accident, so prayers for her too.

On the other hand as the article points out:

Notably, these two lawyers also represented Josh Jacobs, the Raiders’ running back, in his January single-car crash incident. After an arrest for DUI, Jacobs never faced charges once a probe proved his blood-alcohol level was within legal limits.

Article about this - Jacobs was originally "booked" for DUI, but not charged after his blood tests showed he was "legal"

So evidently it may be SOP in Vegas to book everyone for DUI without waiting for the blood test results, and sort it out afterwards?  Which goes to my questions about the differences between the Britt Reid case which took like 6 weeks to file charges vs. this case, where DUI charges were like, overnight - apparently Vegas works by the principle "book 'em all and let the lab tests sort it out later" vs "this is Missouri, you have to Show Me".

Having been in a pretty severe accident before myself, I can attest to being very dazed and confused from the impact.

I was said to be talking and responding, but I have no memory between leaving our house and the hospital about 3 hrs later.

The lady who hit me ended up telling the cops some BS and I got a ticket for the accident even though she was speeding toward a red light and a line of stopped cars (100ft ahead of her) at a very high rate of speed. I had to fight it in court. 

PSA: after our accident, we are big fans of dashcams in our house.  We have front and rear.  The person who hit us, claimed that my daughter had run a red light and turned left in front of them.  Unfortunately for that person, the accident was witnessed by a St Louis Fire and Rescue unit that was driving behind them and saw the red light THEY ran and their complete and total failure to brake or attempt to evade the crash by moving into the available white-hashed empty lane to their right.  The paramedics pulled up as spouse was calling 911, and the police followed shortly - the paramedics must have called them.   Fam got photos of the car that hit us with the driver still in the seat and the airbags deployed, having traveled straight ahead through the intersection.

But we figure we can't always be so lucky.

So far the only use the dashcams have had is to provide the State Highway Patrol pictures and video of a fatal SUV-motorcycle crash we witnessed (the motorcyclist died, and the photo and video evidence probably spared the two HS girls who hit the motorcycle from some nasty court battles since it showed the motorcyclist entering the intersection at a high rate of speed on a red light, after the girls had started their legal L turn)

Anyway, these cameras keep getting simpler to install and lower in cost, so 100% recommend looking into them.  They can easily save you their cost and more in legal fees or insurance deductibles.

I’m not saying I believe Rugg’s lawyer, just that I can see where the accident could have caused him to seem impaired.

This is true

But I definitely question the way his lawyer worded that statement saying Ruggs “doesn’t believe” he was drunk. Why say “doesn’t believe” if Ruggs wasn’t drinking? Why not just say Ruggs wasn’t drinking? Maybe I’m just reading too much into the “doesn’t think” part of the statement, but it seems to me like it’s a good possibility that Ruggs was at least drinking but maybe he thinks he was above the legal limit? 

I think you got it - wording suggests Ruggs was drinking, he was drinking somewhere where there will be a bar tab to show he was drinking and how much - he just thinks he wasn't "over the limit".

That's fast enough to be considered racing.

More charges incoming.

1 minute ago, BillsfaninSB said:

I may get bashed here but I think no car in the US needs to go over 100 mph.  Plenty of torque to get out of situation, sure.  But the need to go that fast is ridiculous.

THere are roads in the west with no speed limit.

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I mean I am sure the 18 month old wasn't home alone. I have no idea what the Raiders rules are him being out and being drunk (did it happen during their bye?) but going out and having fun in and of itself doesn't prove he is not a great guy. 

The moment he got behind a wheel in that state there became a problem. 

Monday night/Tuesday am is the normal "Football Player Weekend", since they normally travel or workout Saturday then work on Sunday. 

Monday they come to the facility for treatment and to watch game film/get their corrections. 

Tuesday the coaches work on the next week's game plan, while the players have the day off - some may come to the facility for treatment or recovery activities

So Monday Night/Tues AM is the 'danger zone' for these Young Sahibs. 

I don't know if he still does (for sure Covid put the kibbosh on it in 2020), but Josh had Monday night parties at his house in 2019.  Beasley and others talked about it.  They watched MNF and ate pizza and wings, or played group games like Mafia (and probably drank) - one benefit of this strategy being if one guy got sloshed, probably one or more of his teammates were sober enough to dial up an UBER and roll them into it.  And unlike at an "After Hours Club" in the city, their wheels should be safe and sound there until they fetch 'em.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Monday night/Tuesday am is the normal "Football Player Weekend", since they normally travel or workout Saturday then work on Sunday. 

Monday they come to the facility for treatment and to watch game film/get their corrections. 

Tuesday the coaches work on the next week's game plan, while the players have the day off - some may come to the facility for treatment or recovery activities

I don't know if he still does (for sure Covid put the kibbosh on it in 2020), but Josh had Monday night parties at his house in 2019.  Beasley and others talked about it.  They watched MNF and ate pizza and wings, or played group games like Mafia (and probably drank) - one benefit of this strategy being if one guy got sloshed, probably one or more of his teammates were sober enough to dial up an UBER and roll them into it.  And unlike at an "After Hours Club" in the city, their wheels should be safe and sound there until they fetch 'em.

Benefits of living in Buffalo vs Las Vegas

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, unbillievable said:

That's fast enough to be considered racing.

More charges incoming.

THere are roads in the west with no speed limit.

There WERE roads in the west (Montana) with no speed limit, that is now gone, and has been gone for a number of years. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Klaus said:

There WERE roads in the west (Montana) with no speed limit, that is now gone, and has been gone for a number of years. 

I wonder what happened. Protest or Accident?

I will say that they should require a special license (like a semi truck) to drive any car that goes over 100mph.

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Indeed. I was just a little unclear as to when this happened. Did it happen this past Monday night? 

1 minute ago, unbillievable said:

I will say that they should require a special license (like a semi truck) to drive any car that goes over 100mph.

Usually the federal government withholds highway funding if states do not meet minimum safety requirements.   I bet MT was pressured to change that. 

3 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

It is actually an interesting legal case, but essentially the speed limit in the daytime was described as "reasonable and prudent" and when some group or rich guys got pulled over for disobeying that guideline and in court their lawyer argued that there is no such thing as reasonable and prudent, the judge agreed, and speed limits were back in play. 

Even if they were somehow able to disprove his blood alcohol content, if he was travelling 120+ and kills someone it would not be hard to prove some form of negligent manslaughter/homicide or whatever the terminology is in Nevada. Since you were driving recklessly and the result was death that is criminal. It might slightly reduce the penalties but I doubt there will be a lot of leniency for these circumstances.

• Agree 5

40 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Man I might need to buy a vette if you can suvive an accident at 126 mph.  Holy *****.  

The lawyer's only play is to question the blood test now as expected.  Ruggs just lost his 20's for a stupid decision. Maybe some of his 30's rightfully so. 

What is there to question about the blood test? Do you mean he’ll question the results if it shows Ruggs was intoxicated or impaired?

Id be surprised if this even goes to trial. The evidence is overwhelming. This has plea deal written all over it. Then the civil suits will start.

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

What is there to question about the blood test?

Id be surprised if this even goes to trial. The evidence is overwhelming. This has plea deal written all over it. Then the civil suits will start.

You claim there are flaws with the test. Chain of custody etc. Problem with warrant etc.  

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

This does put the situation in a different light. 157 mph? Loaded gun? 

It seems almost suicidal in addition to being criminal imo.

A little note that the loaded gun in the car doesn't have the same significance in Nevada as it would in NYS, assuming it is a handgun and not a long weapon:

Can I drive without my guns being visible in Nevada?

Anyone carrying a concealed gun in a car needs a current and valid permit for carrying concealed weapons (CCW). But people do not need a concealed carry permit to keep their loaded handguns out of plain view somewhere in the car, such as the glove box, trunk, center console, cup holder, under the seat, or under a blanket on the backseat or passenger seat.

If the gun is hidden in a purse, backpack, bag, or piece of luggage, a person does not need a CCW permit to keep it in the car. But if the person carries the purse, etc., then a CCW permit is required. Under Nevada law, a car is not considered an extension of the home like it is in some other states.

So depending upon the ownership details and location of the loaded handgun (in a glove box or console or in a bag vs. on his person), it is probably legal.

Of course as with Texas, Nevada may have a "gotcha" law where a legal gun becomes illegal if you're committing a felony while you possess it.

4 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

What is there to question about the blood test? Do you mean he’ll question the results if it shows Ruggs was intoxicated or impaired?

Come on.

Get an army of lawyers and pick at everything you can find. ask OJ about that.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, aristocrat said:

You claim there are flaws with the test. Chain of custody etc. Problem with warrant etc.  

@Rochesterfan and @Bangarang know what they're talking about.  It's possible the LVPD goofed, but typically big PDs have a pretty cut-and-dried setup for chain of custody, legally admissible calibrated tests, and obtaining a warrant, and then there are the lab results from the hospital's own tests which will not meet legal standards on their own but will corroborate.

8 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Come on.

Get an army of lawyers and pick at everything you can find. ask OJ about that.

Come on? This isn’t a case with circumstantial evidence where a defense lawyer has enough holes to create reasonable doubt. 

The evidence in this case is overwhelmingly bad for Ruggs. I assume his main focus is going to be working on a plea.

Edited by Bangarang
  • Agree 4

5 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

I'm not saying it will work but that's one of the moves. At this point it would seem he wants nothing to do with a trial so it's just getting the shortest sentence possible.

Questioning any of those things is an unrealistic move here.

But I agree that the goal would be to avoid trial and focus on getting the best plea.

Edited by Bangarang

13 hours ago, Augie said:

I’m not arguing anything, just pointing out how the viewpoint has changed over the decades. I remember as a kid seeing cops pull people over and follow someone home for the last couple blocks while they tried not to drive up onto the grass. My GF’s dad and his buddy picked us up from the movies with “roadies” and it was like we were in a luge bouncing off the snow banks on either side. 

The times are very different, and much safer. It’s come a LONG way! 

I think people started waking up and realized that bodies were exponentially piling up.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, MJS said:

I think people started waking up and realized that bodies were exponentially piling up.

True. I think the stuff that used to be allowed to slide was bumping the neighbor’s mailbox on the way back from happy hour. It’s all wrong, but there are degrees. If bumping the mailbox is Lake Erie, Ruggs doing 157 mph with double the legal BAC is the Pacific Ocean. I wish I was surprised by these extremes, but it is just FAR too common to illicit the shock that it should. Horrific tragedy. It’s hard to fathom the grief of a life lost so unexpectedly. 

6 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

I thought I read it somewhere but maybe misunderstood.  Was the driver of the Toyota over the legal limit as well?   If so, does that change anything?

Hope we're not blaming the victim here.  Before throwing this out there you should have some proof.  With 156mph, no sympathy for Ruggs now

Edited by MarkyMannn

3 minutes ago, BillsfaninSB said:

I thought I read it somewhere but maybe misunderstood.  Was the driver of the Toyota over the legal limit as well?   If so, does that change anything?

I knew someone who killed a guy in a DUI accident. The other guy was over the limit too (it was St Patricks Day.) It made no difference since the guy who died was not on the wrong side of the divided highway. I think the same thing would apply here. 

• Like (+1) 1

My thoughts are with the family of the poor woman who died and hope that Ruggs’ girlfriend pulls through from her injuries - his poor child if she passes and he is in prison for goodness knows how long. One decision can change a life - and end at least one too. 🙁

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Not just getting behind the wheel drunk (sorry was at Top Golf and will know exactly what the bar tab was and may have been elsewhere too).

People make bad decisions, he compounded it by speeding and driving recklessly too.

Yep many may have driven 1-2 Kms (or miles) to a house/bar and had drinks.  95% I hope when returning home obey all signs, lights and drive the speed limit.

SMH Speeding...yeah speeding is going 15 above the speed limit and you get clocked and a ticket.....156 MPH is reckless driving on its own off of a race track correct? I mean he wasnt on the autobon sp* fcol. Reading that just made me mad...pedal to the metal Fool SMH.....

grrrrrrrrr

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

where did I state it made a difference to the punishment. I specifically stated that he will and should be punished. My whole point, which you are for some reason disregarding, was to reject the statement that he was a "piece of ****" when we don't know jack-diddly about the dude. He was 100% wrong when he got behind the wheel after drinking, he was 100% wrong when he decided to speed .. and the dude will pay for it as will his family and the family of the victim. 

As for it's "pretty easy to assume" .. it is but an assumption of course is not fact. Just a guess on your part.

1 hour ago, IBTG81 said:

Just saw. He was traveling at 156mph. Wow. 

He's a complete POS.  Not guessing.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.