"If Allen Plays Like Crap This Week, Accept that He's Simply Not Good

FilthyBeast
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan,

For the reading and discussing pleasure of those who wish to hypothesize that 2 or 3 games outweigh a full season as a sample set, Congratulations!Β  You have won your very own thread using the "magic" of the moderator "Split" function

Β 

For the reading and discussing pleasure of those who wish to discuss the upcoming game, let's try to keep the Week 3 WFT thread at least loosely on topic

Β 

Enjoy!

On 9/21/2021 at 11:01 AM, FilthyBeast said:

I don't understand how this thread was started because I don't even know how to start my own because I've tried before?

Β 

But I just want to note that it doesn't mean the season is over after 3 games or Allen is completely trash, it's just hard to understand how a guy who had an MVP caliber season last year can be among the worst QB's in the league after 2 games in 2021. His YPA is even worse than his rookie season which is unfathomable.

Donald Trump Happy Dance GIF by Curious Pavel

On 9/23/2021 at 12:30 AM, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

That's the kind of take you would typically have on a rookie or second year starter, not a franchise QB worth 258 million.Β  If I'm not producing results at work I get held accountable and told to turn it around.....rapidly.Β  My boss doesn't say "hey, don't sweat it, lets see where you are at week 52."

Β 

Its not that I suck at my job or I've regressed, it's because I get paid to produce results and not come up with excuses about the marketing dept. not doing there job or communication from accounting is poor.Β Β 

Β 
LMFAO!! Do you have 11 guys trying to stop you from doing your job while your on the clock? Do those 11 guys have a support group studying your tendencies to come up with a daily plan to shut you down? ***** off with the stupid comparisons, these guys get paid to get play a ***** game. That’s all it is. It’s not gonna be perfect every week.Β 

• Thank you (+1) 1

The way Allen is talking and how we are having to react to it is like how we used to talk about Trent Edwards, or other backup level Quarterbacks.

Β 

It’s coming from a good place, he cares a lot. But none of this makes me feel good, this is Year 4 and he’s getting so hyped up he’s sick before games and gets deflated if things don’t go well.

Β 

Strange.

Β 

Β 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Allen really needs to get into an early rhythm to settle down his nerves. This is where Daboll comes in.Β 

And Dabol should already know this from his histoty. Get him a safe and efficient dink and dunk opening drive while mixing Motor/Moss. Stop with the early hero ball. Let him settle in and calm down from his opening drive jitters. Then later in the game you can let him launch a couple.Β 

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

The way Allen is talking and how we are having to react to it is like how we used to talk about Trent Edwards, or other backup level Quarterbacks.

Β 

It’s coming from a good place, he cares a lot. But none of this makes me feel good, this is Year 4 and he’s getting so hyped up he’s sick before games and gets deflated if things don’t go well.

Β 

Strange.

Β 

Β 

Β 

To me, that's the biggest concern. So much of this game is mental, and he's got to get that under control.Β 

• Agree 1

The premise of this thread is clearly ridiculous but the fact he struggled in so many areas the first two weeks should make everyone a little nervous. I don't love the "Josh gets too hyped with fans" argument but I can't completely dismiss it. If he struggles in week 3 against what looks like an overrated WFT defense then it'll be time to start asking hard questions beyond just stating that he had a bad game. I don't buy that this has been all on the OL or bad play calling.Β 

3 hours ago, BananaB said:

Β 
LMFAO!! Do you have 11 guys trying to stop you from doing your job while your on the clock? Do those 11 guys have a support group studying your tendencies to come up with a daily plan to shut you down? ***** off with the stupid comparisons, these guys get paid to get play a ***** game. That’s all it is. It’s not gonna be perfect every week.Β 

Wow…did you just get triggered? Settle down Tommy Toughnuts

• Eyeroll 1

3 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Β 

Β 

Strange.

Β 

Β 

People came to the defense of Losman too. How did that turn out?

3 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Well, he does have a point though. Pretty clear one.

I agree, he does make a good point. Β But he delivers it in a manner where he comes across like an aggressive blithering idiot. Chill, it’s just a Bills forum.Β 

7 minutes ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

I agree, he does make a good point. Β But he delivers it in a manner where he comes across like an aggressive blithering idiot. Chill, it’s just a Bills forum.Β 

Oh ok, I got ya. Yeah guess he could have done a little better with the delivery lol

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Β 

Β 

Strange.

Β 

Β 

I actually agree with this...watch his press conference and hearing him say β€œI just want it so bad” sounds nice on the surface...you want your QB to feel that way...but it just came off as kind of whiny to me...

Β 

I almost want him to act like he’s β€œbeen there before”, to show he has control over his emotions and anxiety...Huck, you’re absolutely right, it’s not like he’s a rookie doing and saying this stuff...he is now a veteran QB who is being paid to lead the franchise...

Β 

Jim Kelly was so cool and calm under pressure...We just really need to see Josh get control of this crap or we are screwed...

• Vomit 1

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

I actually agree with this...watch his press conference and hearing him say β€œI just want it so bad” sounds nice on the surface...you want your QB to feel that way...but it just came off as kind of whiny to me...

Β 

I almost want him to act like he’s β€œbeen there before”, to show he has control over his emotions and anxiety...Huck, you’re absolutely right, it’s not like he’s a rookie doing and saying this stuff...he is now a veteran QB who is being paid to lead the franchise...

Β 

Jim Kelly was so cool and calm under pressure...We just really need to see Josh get control of this crap or we are screwed...

Well I just don’t want to fall back into the mental loops we used to be in, making endless excuses for our Bills QB, and in general, starting to lower the bar and try to explain away and rationalize average play.

Β 

In general, we like Allen so the natural instinct is going to defend.Β 
Β 

You’re going to start seeing the β€œis Josh playing hurt” threads start popping up, deflecting blame to the OLine and WRs. That’s what I mean by Trent Edwards. Where things have to be perfect in order to win.

Β 

He’s a $250M QB now. So the bar is going to be 30 TDs and 4,000 yards.Β 
Β 

The days of 170 yards and 1 TD, 1 Int and β€œtipping our cap” to the opposing defense isn’t going to go far.
Β 

Β 

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

Β 

Β 

Was this really true though?Β  Sure most of the time Kelly was in control but even during the Super Bowl run he had clusters of really bad games during the regular season. In fact my recollection of the Kelly years was that he could be frustrating in having two great games followed by an epic clunker. I suspect that if we're lucky Allen may have a similar career trajectory.Β  EVERY season during the SB run, there were games the Bills won in spite of Kelly.

Β 

And to be clear Kelly is the greatest QB to play for Buffalo and he's a legit Hall of Famer.Β  My goal here though is to put things into perspective.

Β 

I've been going back through Sal Maiorana's Bills book "Relentless".Β  It has a box score for every game played by Buffalo from 1960 - 1994.Β  I've already posted a couple of examples of very slow starts by Kelly similar to what we're seeing with Allen now.Β  And here's a couple of more games where Kelly really struggled at the height of the Bills Super Bowl run:

Β 

1991 - Game 9 vs NE; Kelly was 14/28 for 237 yards and 2 INT & 1 TD Bills won 22 -17

Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β  - Game 12 vs NE; Kelly was 26/44 for 204 yards and 4 INT & 1 TD Bills lost 16 - 13.Β  NE was 6 - 10 that year.

Β 

1992 - Game 5 vs Miami; Kelly was 25/48 for 306 yards and 4 INT (one pick 6) & 1 TD Bills lost 37 - 10.

Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β  - Game 8 vs NE; Kelly was 22/33 for 205 and 2 INT & 2 TD.Β  Bills won 16 - 7.Β  NE was 2 - 14 that year.

Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β  - Game 12 vs Colts; Kelly was 11/33 for 184 yards and 2 INT & 1 TD.Β  Bills lost 16 - 13.Β  Colts were 9 - 7 that year.

Β Β Β Β Β Β Β Β  - Game 13 vs Jets; Kelly was 20/35 for 215 yards and 2 INT (including a pick 6) & 1 TD Bills lost 24 - 17/ Jets were 4 - 12 that year

Β 

There are other games like this to.Β  Bottom line is that Allen will have bad games and some of those bad games will come against crap teams.Β  But we won't know if we should be worried until AFTER this season.Β  At the end of the day Kelly could put his bad games behind him and over the course of the season he would have 3 great games for every bad one.Β 

Β 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

People came to the defense of Losman too. How did that turn out?

We won 35-0. We all can agree that our O and Josh have struggled, it’s no secret. A new season comes with new obstacles, when your playing sports that happens on every level. Obviously we gotta a good team, let them work this ***** out. 2 games ain’t *****. We even got an extra one if this drags on long. πŸ˜‚Β 

• Thank you (+1) 1

With Josh being a little off to start the year, could it be he doesn't have that calming figure and the vet presence of Matt Barkley? You know, that one guy or friend that keeps you grounded and focused (stop you from doing dumb stuff). The entire offense looks to be made up of "pump you up guys". I think MT was a great pickup but I just don't see him sitting with JA on the bench talking about the game and plays like he did with Matt and being a mellow you out kinda guy. Maybe I'm just not seeing it during the game... I'm confident Josh will get back to his game soon, just think he may need someone like Matt to help calm him down. Just a thought. πŸ€”

Right now my level of concern remains low. It might jump to a 5 on a scale of 1-10Β  if we don't see at least one signature Allen game in the next two outings. Something like 350+ total yards 4 total TD's no turnovers and 65%+ completion. But then again we might continue to make the running game a priority which would mean low yardage and TD totals for Allen. So in that case I just want to see the Bills win the next two and move the chains consistently which would mean Allen has to snap out of this sub 60% completion streak he has going.Β Β 

Β 

Β 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

With Josh being a little off to start the year, could it be he doesn't have that calming figure and the vet presence of Matt Barkley? You know, that one guy or friend that keeps you grounded and focused (stop you from doing dumb stuff). The entire offense looks to be made up of "pump you up guys". I think MT was a great pickup but I just don't see him sitting with JA on the bench talking about the game and plays like he did with Matt and being a mellow you out kinda guy. Maybe I'm just not seeing it during the game... I'm confident Josh will get back to his game soon, just think he may need someone like Matt to help calm him down. Just a thought. πŸ€”

It's more likely it's the fans in the stand than MB.

On 9/20/2021 at 12:13 PM, FilthyBeast said:

Β 

Agree, if Allen plays like crap again this week there are no more excuses. It will be time to accept that he's simply not good and behind closed doors in Orchard Park there will be serious buyers remorse knowing that he had a fluke year during the weird fanless covid year.

Β 

Washington has a good dline and but has struggled mightily overall and is lucky to be 1-1 right now. And even if they were a top defense Allen played extremely well against many top 10 defenses last year and has to show that again given his contract. Really hope he can turn it around and come out firing.

Β Trying to find anything to piss people off and get them talking. I am sure no one has buyers remorse today. I have readers remorse reading your fluff crap though. β€œSimply not good” may be the silliness statement I have read in β€˜21.Β 

19 hours ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

I was wondering the same thing...

6 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Β 

Likely was someone who never liked the Allen pick and saw this as a chance to show everyone how smart he was.Β  He was right and everyone else was wrong!

Or didn't like the contract maybe? Still pretty weird lol people only look at stats I guess and they don't really think about the headaches someone like Josh causes defensive coordinators even when he's not playing that wellΒ