"If Allen Plays Like Crap This Week, Accept that He's Simply Not Good

FilthyBeast
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan,

For the reading and discussing pleasure of those who wish to hypothesize that 2 or 3 games outweigh a full season as a sample set, Congratulations!  You have won your very own thread using the "magic" of the moderator "Split" function

For the reading and discussing pleasure of those who wish to discuss the upcoming game, let's try to keep the Week 3 WFT thread at least loosely on topic

Enjoy!

My opinion on Allen? He just signed a huge contract and it's in the back of his mind. He is such a competitor that right now he's trying to live up to expectations that come along with that contract. So in my humble opinion he looks to be feeling the pressure of living up to the hype. The OL is not doing him any favors, nor is Dabol right now with his play calling. Josh is a guy who seems to excel most when he gets into a rhythm early then it carries through the rest of the game. Dabol needs to call the game like that early so Josh can get those quick hitters and intermediate routes going. Dabol also needs to use more motion, like he did last year. It doesn't seem like they are right now to me. The OL also needs to keep the man from getting hit every 3 drop backs. I think Josh will be fine and this team will only get better with each passing week. To all of the people looking for reasons to jump off of the wagon? ✌️✌️ 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, H2o said:

My opinion on Allen? He just signed a huge contract and it's in the back of his mind. He is such a competitor that right now he's trying to live up to expectations that come along with that contract. So in my humble opinion he looks to be feeling the pressure of living up to the hype. The OL is not doing him any favors, nor is Dabol right now with his play calling. Josh is a guy who seems to excel most when he gets into a rhythm early then it carries through the rest of the game. Dabol needs to call the game like that early so Josh can get those quick hitters and intermediate routes going. Dabol also needs to use more motion, like he did last year. It doesn't seem like they are right now to me. The OL also needs to keep the man from getting hit every 3 drop backs. I think Josh will be fine and this team will only get better with each passing week. To all of the people looking for reasons to jump off of the wagon? ✌️✌️ 

I really don't get the Allen is feeling the pressure of signing the big contract angle. I just don't buy it. I think there are many factors in play. The Oline, play calling, lack of consistent run attack/threat. Also, Allen has lost his confidence, his mechanics, and vision. Hopefully, we will see a turn around soon.

13 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

These next 2 games you just gotta put in the bank.  

Sucks we could have seen Fitz and then Tyrod back to back at home. 

Haden and Bush did not play and Watt played 1 quarter.   

That was not the Steelers defense yesterday.  

We played 2 elite pass defenses with ball hawks around the field.  Would I have liked Allen to light them up sure.  But the oline was a mess week 1 and Howard and Jones played really well yesterday.  Allen's threat opened up the running game and that's what has to happen as he sees more and more 7 men 2 deep coverage.   

13 hours ago, Pokebball said:

Not arguing your point that Josh needs to return to form.  But yes, the Raiders appear to be that good and two, Watt was injured in the first half and didn't return.  He's the leader of the Steeler's defense.  His absence mattered.

Moreover, Alualu fractured his ankle during the game as well. The Steelers defense was not the same on Sunday and as others have said, the O-line made some big improvements from Week 1 to Week 2. I'm sure that also had to do with not facing Cam Heyward, Melvin Ingram and TJ Watt, but also I don't think Dawkins was in game shape and as I've mentioned in other places on this board, I think the lack of Pre-Season in game play for the O-line and Josh have had their effect. 

Before we mention last year as means of pointing to the lack of need for a Pre-Season for the line and Allen, keep in mind Defenses were epically bad in the first 4-6 games last season in large part due to the lack of Pre-Season. So, the Offense had a jump and it showed. As the season went on, the defensive numbers and performances across the league started to settle back to "normal". 

As for Josh Allen, I don't anyone would argue that we'd all like to see him return to 2020 form, but Ken Dorsey being the Passing Game Coordinator, Offensive Line struggles in the first game, and the aforementioned lack of Pre-Season practice, might mean it takes a couple games to get back to that level. All of that said, barring an terrible failure, I can't see why anyone would think he isn't still and will be the franchise QB Buffalo has dreamed about for twenty years. Before we go back in time, let's recall Josh's very raw mechanics coming out of high school, was still new to football in general, and progressed incrementally from 2018-2019-2020 - it wasn't a terrible two years and a leap the third year. It was progressive, showing growth - not an aberration of success. 

• Like (+1) 2

Might I respectfully suggest that any negative reactions to a post actually be assigned a -1, and are deducted from the contributor's rep points?  More than 5 on one thread result in a two week ban.  Multiples of 5 equal additional increments.

If necessary, we call in the 'Arbitor of Idiots' DC Tom to rule on the posting, and the contributor.

😁

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

This sad excuse for a Bills fan deserves to be mired in mediocrity and bleed internally with the pedestrian cast of talentless QBs we have survived for the last 25 years. Clueless posters like this are wasting the time and energy of devoted fans. How about if you can't make a rational statement you retire to private life. 

• Haha (+1) 2

5 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I’m surprise the OP got three plus pages out of this bs

To be fair, the OP didn't start this thread.  I split it out from the WFT game thread because it was starting to overwhelm that discussion.  It's one thing to have a little sidebar discussion here and there, but a major hot take that is drawing a lot of response probably deserves its own thread.

I'm not surprised.  When people say controversial stuff it often draws more attention and reactions than a measured reasonable response.

21 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Agree, if Allen plays like crap again this week there are no more excuses. It will be time to accept that he's simply not good and behind closed doors in Orchard Park there will be serious buyers remorse knowing that he had a fluke year during the weird fanless covid year.

Washington has a good dline and but has struggled mightily overall and is lucky to be 1-1 right now. And even if they were a top defense Allen played extremely well against many top 10 defenses last year and has to show that again given his contract. Really hope he can turn it around and come out firing.

Geezus this take is so bad we are all actually dumber now for having read it.  

STANDING OVATION for the mod @Hapless Bills Fan for banishing this unbelievable hot garbage of foolish posts to its own thread.  Best move I’ve ever seen a mod do.  👏

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

I really don't get the Allen is feeling the pressure of signing the big contract angle. I just don't buy it. I think there are many factors in play. The Oline, play calling, lack of consistent run attack/threat. Also, Allen has lost his confidence, his mechanics, and vision. Hopefully, we will see a turn around soon.

It's a little hard to fathom why, if Allen has totally lost his mechanics, vision, and confidence, he completed some of the throws he has in fact hit the last 2 games and especially the Miami game.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Might I respectfully suggest that any negative reactions to a post actually be assigned a -1, and are deducted from the contributor's rep points?  More than 5 on one thread result in a two week ban.  Multiples of 5 equal additional increments.

If necessary, we call in the 'Arbitor of Idiots' DC Tom to rule on the posting, and the contributor.

😁

Reaction is just a joke, btw.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Hot takes from people who don't watch every QB under a microscope like we do with Josh. Spoiler: even Mahomes plays like s### sometimes. They aren't robots.

You oughta know.

and now we're hearing the, "you can't talk bad about josh without people getting angry" nonsense.  i think posters are more than happy to discuss what's going on in a reasonable.  it's this mouth breather nonsense that get's bashed.  don't lump the good conversation into ones like this.  

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Geezus this take is so bad we are all actually dumber now for having read it.  

STANDING OVATION for the mod @Hapless Bills Fan for banishing this unbelievable hot garbage of foolish posts to its own thread.  Best move I’ve ever seen a mod do.  👏

Thank you.  I wasn't sure what the reaction would be, but I've taken flack before for things that turned out to be mistakes so I figured I'd survive if it was negative, and it seemed like a better alternative to promote discussion than locking the game thread and starting a new one or just pruning all the crap.  Took a bit of work though.

This is an extreme take, but IMHO it's not that far off from about half a dozen I've seen scattered here and there - Allen has reverted to 2019 or 2018, he has completely lost his mechanics, confidence, and vision, he is under no pressure so there is no reason for this, etc etc etc.

These IMHO are people who are stat surfing and not really watching the game carefully.

1 minute ago, teef said:

and now we're hearing the, "you can't talk bad about josh without people getting angry" nonsense.  i think posters are more than happy to discuss what's going on in a reasonable.  it's this mouth breather nonsense that get's bashed.  don't lump the good conversation into ones like this.  

Yes, exactly.  People aren't getting angry or annoyed about reasoned criticism.  In fact, most of those people also say that improvement is needed and that Josh hasn't played well.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yes, exactly.  People aren't getting angry or annoyed about reasoned criticism.  In fact, most of those people also say that improvement is needed and that Josh hasn't played well.

i think everyone is one the same page for improvements needed.  it's the level of reaction/overreaction that seems to be the divide.

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

To be fair, the OP didn't start this thread.  I split it out from the WFT game thread because it was starting to overwhelm that discussion.  It's one thing to have a little sidebar discussion here and there, but a major hot take that is drawing a lot of response probably deserves its own thread.

I'm not surprised.  When people say controversial stuff it often draws more attention and reactions than a measured reasonable response.

Ah, so you're saying that Nick Wright guy has started posting here

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Hot takes from people who don't watch every QB under a microscope like we do with Josh. Spoiler: even Mahomes plays like s### sometimes. They aren't robots.

This is a great point.  When Rogers overthrew an open WR last night on a deep ball how many people even noticed?  Those are low probability plays under the best of circumstances.

Lamar Jackson looses TWO fumbles in the 4th quarter & OT directly leading to the Ravens loosing the game and no one seems to panic about his ball security. But Allen gets strip sacked by the best Defensive end in football loosing the ball at midfield and people claim that unless he solves his fumbling problem no Super Bowl for the Bills.

Mahomes throws a terrible 4th quarter INT playing hero ball with a 35 - 24 lead sparking the Ravens to the win. Everyone yawns.

Last night it starts raining and Goff drops a snap and then has the ball fall out of his hand eliminating any chance the Lions might make a game of it.

I could go with dozens of other examples and this is only after TWO WEEKS!  QB's make mistakes - ALL THE TIME. Like great pitchers and hitters QB's can go into a slump - ALL THE TIME.

This obsessive worry over Allen seems weird to me.

Edited by CincyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1