Bills, Steelers week 1 temperature check

Chances are hard to tell for a lot of information is hidden but as long as every player who they expect to be mainstay on roster will be available IMO it will be close to two TD win for Bills.

And when you said "temperature check" I was thinking about check I needed to have today to enter business.

• Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

And when you said "temperature check" I was thinking about check I needed to have today to enter business.

I started hearing this pretty recently too and chalked it up another addition to the ever growing list of consultant-y buzzwords. 

Boots on the ground

pivot

drill down

leverage

temperature check

... blah blah blah...

• Agree 2

Any given Sunday and all that jazz. But i personally see 2 teams headed in opposite directions. I expect to win by 2 scores due to the trajectory of this squad and just the general atmosphere of the first opening day in 2 years. 

…. I too live in “stillers” country and this one is huge just for general quality of life going forward.  Lol. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I am thinking that the def does something really special this game.

Will it be ints

Fumble recovery 

I don't think many sacks Ben gets the ball out quick.

But with all the tight cover reports from camp about pushing the ball lose at the last minute and ints.

I say the d scores or is impacfull for 10 points.

Edited by scuba guy
Typo
  • Like (+1) 1

Steelers will come out flying. They've been told all offseason how they're on the down slope, third in their division, can't run the ball, and their longtime QB is shot.  

I have trust in McDermott having this team focused and ready though.  I'll take the Bills but it's going to be a dogfight.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 10

I fully expect this game to be close as I never take a game for granted. I expect the Steelers offense to be better this year and more balanced. Hopefully the Bills are healthy for the opener and the starters are ready to go. Glad it’s a home game.

27 minutes ago, QBorBust2018 said:

What do you think the chances are the Steelers upset the Bills. 

Bills currently -7. Live in Steelers country and it’s the most important game on the schedule to me personally. 

Please share opinions 

My opinion is that I hate the Steelers worse than any team in the league. Yes, even more than the Pats.

That is all…

• Like (+1) 4

15 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I'm confident in the Bills still 7 seems like a significant favor for a week 1 game.

Last I checked it was tied with Niners -7 vs bears as the biggest spread of opening week. 

Pittsburgh has 8 new starters on a squad that finished on an absolute implosion after an early year joke of a schedule.

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Steelers will come out flying. They've been told all offseason how they're on the down slope, third in their division, can't run the ball, and their longtime QB is shot.  

Yep. I think we win but they play well especially out of the gates.

52 minutes ago, QBorBust2018 said:

What do you think the chances are the Steelers upset the Bills. 

Bills currently -7. Live in Steelers country and it’s the most important game on the schedule to me personally. 

Please share opinions 

Obviously anything could happen but I think the Bills win comfortably. It won't be a blowout but the game will never really be in doubt. 1-0, BABY!!!

15 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Last I heard stephon tuitt and TJ watt still haven’t practiced or played. Not injured related but wonder how ready they will be. Their corner situation isn’t good either. 

Everybody likes to talk about their d. What nobody is talking about is they lost a top 3 nickel CB in Hilton and their solid #2 corner in Nelson. Sanders and Beasley should EAT in the slot. 

• Agree 2

Early in the season Bills will be ahead of their opponents in terms of execution of schemes.  Pittsburgh will be motivated, but so will the Bills.  I can't see Pittsburgh staying with them.  Steelers offense will struggle.  Give the points and take the Bills.  

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, RunJoshRun said:

We couldn't run the ball effectively most of last season and what has changed for 2021?

Motor put in work in the off-season and looks much quicker than in the past. 

5 minutes ago, RunJoshRun said:

Teams have had a year to figure out Allen's weaknesses!

Josh spent the entire off-season addressing his weaknesses and by all accounts has improved them. They also have to figure out how to stop him at what he does best. 

6 minutes ago, RunJoshRun said:

Our defense wasn't  great - scary at times - and 2 rookie pass rushers may not make it much different?

Defense was actually very good the second half of the season… and finished as the 12th best defense in the league per DVOA, and by your logic, had a year to adjust to QBs and figure out their weaknesses. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

The 1st game is always a wild card, but I think the Bills are in a good place and the Steelers have some new parts. I think it will be more difficult than last year's game though as it's early and Ben is healthy. 

The defense is also healthy which wasn't the case the last time we matched up although the Stealers did have both their blue chippers on D (Watt & Heyward). What I'm hoping is that they simply cannot match up with our four-wide set or even out three-wide for that matter and we simply pass right over the strength of their D. Our line should be able to pass block as it did well last time except for the Heyward matchup. Fortunately, Allen just ran away from him. Maybe with Ford in there we match up a little better this time. It'll be a lighter Feliciano this time that gets the brunt of him. Anyway, it is their secondary that is suspect, especially their depth, imho. Make no mistake though, this is one of the bette defenses we will be playing all year.

We'll get our first look at our new DL vs. Pittsburgh and I hope it is exciting. Big Ben is now a sitting duck as he is old and our new DL are huge. Bad mix for Pittsburgh. Like always, we have to stop the run, get Pittsburgh to punt. Give the ball to Allen and not screw up on Special Teams.

Pittsburgh really lacks the OL and the secondary to go toe to toe with us on paper plus Allen and his WRs are much better than Ben and his. So, that's four advantages Buffalo. I give the Stealers the better front seven so that's two for them. Maybe RB as well though their's will be playing his first game. But we have a better secondary particularly at corner.

Bills-31, Pitt-21 (If the Bills are fully healthy.)

QB - B by a mile.

RB - Pitt by a hair. Buffalo's RB pair is underrated. You'll see. You will all see! (Not crazy about Breida Though).

WR - B

OL - B

DL - Pitt But Buffalo will close all year. (Should) I really am impressed with Heyward. We have no one like him.

LB - Pittsburgh -  they have four! Watt is a LB.

Secondary - Bills, but perhaps a draw at Safety. Who is Pittsburgh's nickelback? Dime?

The Bills nickelback starts. Jackson should do well at dime, right?

right?

How often will the Bills go big on O?  Does Brown get a taste? As a sixth OL? Or in for a tired Dawson?

I don't know if we want to big very often, kind of playing into their strength. Spread them out and throw....

I, for one, hope the new 2021 Allen runs less than his predecessor. I hope Singletary looks good and confident as a run option. Even against a Pitt strength. The first guy hasn't got Singletary all preseason. That's his strength. Just give him a little hole....

Go Bills!

46 minutes ago, RunJoshRun said:

Something tells me Bills Fans feel the TEAM is better than they really are.  We couldn't run the ball effectively most of last season and what has changed for 2021?  Teams have had a year to figure out Allen's weaknesses!  Our defense wasn't  great - scary at times - and 2 rookie pass rushers may not make it much different?  

So what’s Josh’s weakness?   

You’ve watched Rousseau play in the preseason and don’t think he is going to make a difference?

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Chances are hard to tell for a lot of information is hidden but as long as every player who they expect to be mainstay on roster will be available IMO it will be close to two TD win for Bills.

When he said "temperature check" I thought immediately of possible Covid symptoms and who we might lose to Covid protocols 😝

31 minutes ago, billybrew1 said:

The defense is also healthy which wasn't the case the last time we matched up although the Stealers did have both their blue chippers on D (Watt & Heyward). What I'm hoping is that they simply cannot match up with our four-wide set or even out three-wide for that matter and we simply pass right over the strength of their D. Our line should be able to pass block as it did well last time except for the Heyward matchup. Fortunately, Allen just ran away from him. Maybe with Ford in there we match up a little better this time. It'll be a lighter Feliciano this time that gets the brunt of him. Anyway, it is their secondary that is suspect, especially their depth, imho. Make no mistake though, this is one of the bette defenses we will be playing all year.

We'll get our first look at our new DL vs. Pittsburgh and I hope it is exciting. Big Ben is now a sitting duck as he is old and our new DL are huge. Bad mix for Pittsburgh. Like always, we have to stop the run, get Pittsburgh to punt. Give the ball to Allen and not screw up on Special Teams.

Pittsburgh really lacks the OL and the secondary to go toe to toe with us on paper plus Allen and his WRs are much better than Ben and his. So, that's four advantages Buffalo. I give the Stealers the better front seven so that's two for them. Maybe RB as well though their's will be playing his first game. But we have a better secondary particularly at corner.

Bills-31, Pitt-21 (If the Bills are fully healthy.)

QB - B by a mile.

RB - Pitt by a hair. Buffalo's RB pair is underrated. You'll see. You will all see! (Not crazy about Breida Though).

WR - B

OL - B

DL - Pitt But Buffalo will close all year. (Should) I really am impressed with Heyward. We have no one like him.

LB - Pittsburgh -  they have four! Watt is a LB.

Secondary - Bills, but perhaps a draw at Safety. Who is Pittsburgh's nickelback? Dime?

The Bills nickelback starts. Jackson should do well at dime, right?

right?

How often will the Bills go big on O?  Does Brown get a taste? As a sixth OL? Or in for a tired Dawson?

I don't know if we want to big very often, kind of playing into their strength. Spread them out and throw....

I, for one, hope the new 2021 Allen runs less than his predecessor. I hope Singletary looks good and confident as a run option. Even against a Pitt strength. The first guy hasn't got Singletary all preseason. That's his strength. Just give him a little hole....

Go Bills!

They didn’t have Dupree and bush when we played them. They still don’t have Dupree. They got Bush back and lost 2 good starting db’s. Their nickel they lost, hilton, was a top 3 guy in the league at that slot. It’s a loss for sure.  Looks about like a draw to me.

….. also word out of camp is their new pickup Schoebert has taking over play call duties from bush. That knee may not be where it needs to be and it wouldn’t surprise me if he’a on a slight snap count to start the season. 

1 hour ago, RunJoshRun said:

Something tells me Bills Fans feel the TEAM is better than they really are.  We couldn't run the ball effectively most of last season and what has changed for 2021?  Teams have had a year to figure out Allen's weaknesses!  Our defense wasn't  great - scary at times - and 2 rookie pass rushers may not make it much different?  

Lol. Heaven forbid fans are confident in a team that just went 13-3 and has a qb that just finished 2nd in the MVP voting. 

tenor.gif

• Like (+1) 2

Like some before stated, it's going to be a dog fight. The first games of a season are always crazy & unpredictable. Look how many time the Drought-years Bills came on super strong in the first few games in the season only to sink back into obscurity, mathematically eliminating themselves by November.

The Bills are no doubt the superior team and will have a better record when it's all said and done, but don't count out a very hungry Steelers team (who I predict will win the North.) Big Ben won't have the wear & tear and both teams won't have any film on each other from this season.

I predict a high scoring game as the defenses having quite caught up. 31-28 Bills w/ Bass kicking the game winner. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RunJoshRun said:

Valid points. I think the defense will come together by week 5-6. And Daboll is going to tweak the offensive scheme to make the run game serviceable and don't forget Allen's mandatory 600+ 8-10 TDs on the ground. And I don't think Allen really has any weaknesses other than his fumbling and (if you even call this a weakness) always looking for the big play even if there's a safer option to check down to. I feel he is the hardest QB to scheme against because he's such a good improviser and runner.