Colin Cowherd on Allen...

cage

I’ve been watching Colin slowly turn from critic to fan. He’s all in on JA17 and McBeane.  Joy is still only grudgingly going along. She acknowledges he’s good and her assessment was wrong but inevitably brings up year 1 and says something akin to disaster. 

• Like (+1) 3

56 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Are there other countries that pay 43 million dollars a year to play quarterback?

There are quite a few countries where they pay that and more for football ️ players.

Cowherd’s message here is a refreshing break from the onslaught of Equality™️ that endlessly spews from the media and politicians.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 3

37 minutes ago, wjag said:

I’ve been watching Colin slowly turn from critic to fan. He’s all in on JA17 and McBeane.  Joy is still only grudgingly going along. She acknowledges he’s good and her assessment was wrong but inevitably brings up year 1 and says something akin to disaster. 

I think Colin has been more favourable to most on Josh from day 1. While he said at draft time he wouldn't have taken him ahead of Rosen and Darnold he always said you take a chance on a Josh Allen ahead of a chance on a Baker Mayfield because if he hits his gifts make him special. I think his view on Josh has developed in the same way Josh's play has.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Colin has been more favourable to most on Josh from day 1. While he said at draft time he wouldn't have taken him ahead of Rosen and Darnold he always said you take a chance on a Josh Allen ahead of a chance on a Baker Mayfield because if he hits his gifts make him special. I think his view on Josh has developed in the same way Josh's play has.

Well he did genuinely laugh and sneer at Allen getting in the top 100 players after his second season. By all means disagree but he was just laughing like it was a joke, then said he wouldn't put him in the top 200, which was insane and showed he never bothered to watch the games. I at least expect these experts who get paid to talk about football to watch some of the games.

• Agree 5
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RobbRiddick said:

Well he did genuinely laugh and sneer at Allen getting in the top 100 players after his second season. By all means disagree but he was just laughing like it was a joke, then said he wouldn't put him in the top 200, which was insane and showed he never bothered to watch the games. I at least expect these experts who get paid to talk about football to watch some of the games.

Bear in mind that 90 plus percent of these guys and gals are NOT experts in any way shape or form. 
basically they are Sh-t talkers like one sees at the local pub, 

• Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

Yeah he was like that about Josh for a while there.

Edited by Sheneneh Jenkins
  • Disagree 1

12 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

His point in that segment was that Lavonte David was #100 which was way too low (correct) and his argument against Josh was unravels a bit in games v the Pats and in the playoff loss. None of that was untrue at the point he said it. I think the "not in the top 200" thing was a bit of hyperbole and I agree ridiculous but the nuance behind his argument was not so ridiculous.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, wjag said:

People like Joy either fail to see or ignore what a ***** show Josh‘s offense was as a rookie.  It’s annoying but par for the course. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Are there other countries that pay 43 million dollars a year to play quarterback?

No but there are countries that pay soccer stars $148.5 million a year to play striker(Messi's last contract with Barcelona...$594 million over 4 years), and NBA stars make close to $50 a year now...

Edited by Big Turk

I wish it were a little longer.  The Josh Allen leap is equally part of why he’s so special.   What he’s become as a passer from where he was 3 years ago simply doesn’t happen. 

He’s become the example of what every GM, Coach, and fan hopes for in the draft.  I openly admit to being pissed when we drafted him and I don’t feel guilty about it because his ascension simply doesn’t happen.  

• Like (+1) 5

43 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

I think, in context, it was accurate to say Josh didn’t belong in the top 100 after that season.  Now after last year.. there’s just no arguing he’s one of the best at the biggest position of impact.  To me, if I were building a team, purely on performance, he would be my #2 choice as things stand right now. Now if I were building a team and I had to coach it or just generally be around it, he’s my number 1 pick.  Maholmes is the better performer thus far, but JA is close and his attitude/work ethic/general likability, it’s great to be a fan of.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BigBuff423 said:

No, they pay their soccer players much, much more to the tune of $70 and $90 million per year....

Messi aside (and there are lots of reasons why he is an excpetion) there are no soccer players earing that much. The top paid player in the Premier League (richest league in the world) is Kevin De Bruyne on about £20m a year - which is what? $28m? 

It is also worth saying though that those soccer stars play upwards of 50 games per year for that money. When you break it down per game NFL players are extremely well paid. Not saying that is right or wrong, and the top of the pyramid in the NFL is smaller (ie. number of soccer players who earn over $20m per year will be much higher than the number of NFL players that do) but the top NFL stars are paid more than all but 1 or 2 soccer stars. 

• Like (+1) 2

Cowherd had Palmer on his show early after Josh was drafted and was at least willing to accept the notion he could be special.  He’s been relatively fair to Josh thus far, and this was a very nice “tip of the cap” to Josh and the Bills for doing things the right way.

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Messi aside (and there are lots of reasons why he is an excpetion) there are no soccer players earing that much. The top paid player in the Premier League (richest league in the world) is Kevin De Bruyne on about £20m a year - which is what? $28m? 

It is also worth saying though that those soccer stars play upwards of 50 games per year for that money. When you break it down per game NFL players are extremely well paid. Not saying that is right or wrong, and the top of the pyramid in the NFL is smaller (ie. number of soccer players who earn over $20m per year will be much higher than the number of NFL players that do) but the top NFL stars are paid more than all but 1 or 2 soccer stars. 

Three players last year had higher salaries than the average salary in Allen's new contract -- Messi $93M, Ronaldo $78M, and Neymar $71M (not including endorsements). Only two this year since Messi took the pay cut in the move to PSG.  Shocking the separation between the very very top players and everybody else.  The next highest is Mbappe at under $30M.

2 hours ago, wjag said:

She’s similar to a bunch of other hacks that won’t let go of his first year and you are giving her too much credit. She consistently references his first 2 years being bad. 

When somebody hints that Allen was bad in his 2nd season it immediately hints to me, their mind was already made up, that they were actually too lazy to ever go look at his numbers(which were very solid as a whole) and the only game they watched was the playoff debacle. It’s a super lazy way to try and act like you weren’t completely off base about him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

Three players last year had higher salaries than the average salary in Allen's new contract -- Messi $93M, Ronaldo $78M, and Neymar $71M (not including endorsements). Only two this year since Messi took the pay cut in the move to PSG.  Shocking the separation between the very very top players and everybody else.  The next highest is Mbappe at under $30M.

That Ronaldo number isn't correct. The Juventus salaries were all published by Gazetta Dello Sport last year and Ronaldo was their top earner on €31m per year with a huge gap to Matias De Ligt on €8m as the second highest earner. 

Not sure what the $78m number is - might be his total income including endorsements etc but it is not his salary. His salary is €31m per year.

46 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Messi, Rinaldo, and Neymar are three that earn over $70 per year and I'm good with it, doesn't really matter to me...and as you said, there about another six or seven that make more than $20 million per year. 

Just now, BigBuff423 said:

Messi, Rinaldo, and Neymar are three that earn over $70 per year and I'm good with it, doesn't really matter to me...and as you said, there about another six or seven that make more than $20 million per year. 

See above. Ronaldo does not earn that in salary. Maybe with endorsements... but his salary is €31m. 

2 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

Cowherd is just a front runner. He realizes that league and media perception shifted to recognizing Allen’s place among the best. This guy hasn’t had an original thought his entire career. This new take allows him to say he’s right, and cover the market for rabid Bills fans. He used to sing the Pats and NY team praises because he wanted the large market. That’s back when he said the Midwest and its people are worthless, and only big market teams matter. Cowturd is really good at taking the popular position. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

"My name is RobbRiddick.  You laughed at Josh Allen.  Prepare to die."

😁😉

• Haha (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

She’s similar to a bunch of other hacks that won’t let go of his first year and you are giving her too much credit. She consistently references his first 2 years being bad. 

When somebody hints that Allen was bad in his 2nd season it immediately hints to me, their mind was already made up, that they were actually too lazy to ever go look at his numbers(which were very solid as a whole) and the only game they watched was the playoff debacle. It’s a super lazy way to try and act like you weren’t completely off base about him. 

Joy Taylor is a Dolphins homer (understandably) and doesn't really have the football chops.  She's more suited to a news desk than analysis but does what she does well.

31 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That Ronaldo number isn't correct. The Juventus salaries were all published by Gazetta Dello Sport last year and Ronaldo was their top earner on €31m per year with a huge gap to Matias De Ligt on €8m as the second highest earner. 

Not sure what the $78m number is - might be his total income including endorsements etc but it is not his salary. His salary is €31m per year.

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sport/football/highest-paid-football-players-2021/

Not sure if this is a reliable website but it agrees with Forbes and a bunch of others -- the claim is Ronaldo got 51M pounds from Juventus and 34M pounds from endorsements -- unless somehow the Juventus contract is not all for "playing".   Of course, you know more about this than me.   I found the gap interesting and also that Paris St. Germain will have 3 of the 4 top paid players in the world next year.

1 minute ago, Billy Claude said:

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sport/football/highest-paid-football-players-2021/

Not sure if this is a reliable website but it agrees with Forbes and a bunch of others -- the claim is Ronaldo got 51M pounds from Juventus and 34M pounds from endorsements -- unless somehow the Juventus contract is not all for "playing".   Of course, you know more about this than me.   I found the gap interesting and also that Paris St. Germain will have 3 of the 4 top paid players in the world next year.

I would definitely say less reliable than the Gazetta article that published the whole list of Juve salaries. Gazetta is the number 1 Italian sports newspaper. They say his salary for playing soccer last year was €31m. I think you can pretty much take that to the bank. I am sure he more than doubles that with endorsements and his clothing brands etc.  

• Thank you (+1) 1