Backup QB 2022

Since the Bills signed Trubisky with the intent of 1 & done in 2021, they'll be in the market for a new backup in 2022.  If Sam Darnold has another mediocre season, he'll be in the same spot Trubisky was in this offseason.  If that's the case I think Sam Darnold will be the backup in 2022.  Shades of when OJ was the franchise & the Bills drafted his buddy Al Cowlings. 

Now I don't expect any murders or slow speed chases after Josh & Sam retire. 😄

• Vomit 4

If Josh has a healthy season I think they will go back to drafting backups to develop.

Just b.c he is Allen's buddy better mean nothing. The guy is not a good QB, he was never meant for the NFL. He never looked like a leader ever always the guy who is just on a team.

Edited by TBBills

22 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Since the Bills signed Trubisky with the intent of 1 & done in 2021, they'll be in the market for a new backup in 2022.  If Sam Darnold has another mediocre season, he'll be in the same spot Trubisky was in this offseason.  If that's the case I think Sam Darnold will be the backup in 2022.  Shades of when OJ was the franchise & the Bills drafted his buddy Al Cowlings. 

We don't know if that is the intent. What if Josh wants too much? What if they can't come to a long-term solution with JA.? You never know so Trubisky is a nice plan B. They may want to see what he's got and see if he can develop into a viable solution at a better cost so they can build competitively around him.  Beane is smart enough to always have a Plan B, plus Trubisky is a great backup for a SB run. He may love the team and want to stay if the price is right.

I think they are looking at Fromm as the backup in 2022 either way

Edited by BillsRdue
  • Vomit 1
  • Sad 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BillsRdue said:

We don't know if that is the intent. What if Josh wants too much? What if they can't come to a long-term solution with JA.? You never know so Trubisky is a nice plan B. They may want to see what he's got and see if he can develop into a viable solution at a better cost so they can build competitively around him.  Beane is smart enough to always have a Plan B, plus Trubisky is a great backup for a SB run. He may love the team and want to stay if the price is right.

Stop 🤣

• Thank you (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, BillsRdue said:

he literally couldn’t ask for too much unless he really comes out and takes big steps backwards. 

Someone we would never have thought of... as an example, MT....

Honestly why not Trubisky again. They could do far worse. Fromm will be a training camp cut and maybe bring back for the PS. Just carry two QBs this year so they can keep an extra linemen or DB. They have two spots tied up for special teams in Matakevich and Jones. So an extra roster spot for a guy that won't play teams would be wise especially if they draft o-line.

I think they will likely go with Fromm as the pure backup and either draft a younger player to be the QB3 or sign a very cheap vet. Not sure how they go about it but I think after giving Fromm two seasons to cook and learn they are going to be comfortable with him as the backup

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

Now that we have Josh, there’s probably no other position I care less about than backup QB.

I dont know if we should do that.......I by no means want a QB contiversy but we need a "the wheels wont fall off" guy behind Josh.

I need to see Fromm in pre season

17 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

If trubisky does not get any playing time I really do not see him being a hot commodity after next year probably would be happy to be the back up again

I still think he is a trade chip

1 hour ago, BillsRdue said:

There is NO WAY in the world that they're not going to extend Josh Allen, NONE.  Beane knows how tough it is to find a franchise QB & he also knows if the Bills tried to replace Josh with Mitch Trubisky Pegula would have to spend a lot more $ to build a new stadium than any contract he'd end up giving Josh because if the Bills tried to sell fans on Trubisky over Allen the fans would riot and wreck the current stadium beyond repair.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The one things I'd question is what if Allen is as healthy in 2021 as he was in 2020?  Barkley officially played in 4 games, but only contributed statistically a little bit in 2 games.  If that happens again, other than pre-season what would teams have to go off to give him the big contract he's hoping to get.

On the other hand likely the plan would be to go with Fromm in 2022 unless he looks very shaky in practice.  If so then all bets are off and could be Darnold, Barkely returns, Fitz, or who knows.

50 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I think they will likely go with Fromm as the pure backup and either draft a younger player to be the QB3 or sign a very cheap vet. Not sure how they go about it but I think after giving Fromm two seasons to cook and learn they are going to be comfortable with him as the backup

2 seasons & Fromm will cook at the Big Tree Inn

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I dont know if we should do that.......I by no means want a QB contiversy but we need a "the wheels wont fall off" guy behind Josh.

Late round picks for development and experienced vets to sit behind Josh. It’s not something that I think requires a lot of thought. 

54 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

There is NO WAY in the world that they're not going to extend Josh Allen, NONE.  Beane knows how tough it is to find a franchise QB & he also knows if the Bills tried to replace Josh with Mitch Trubisky Pegula would have to spend a lot more $ to build a new stadium than any contract he'd end up giving Josh because if the Bills tried to sell fans on Trubisky over Allen the fans would riot and wreck the current stadium beyond repair.  

It doesn't mean Beane's not looking for a little wiggle room to negotiate. Our new GM appears to be a shrewd businessman 

No, Josh Allen is not leaving Buffalo, absolutely not. 

1 hour ago, ALLEN1QB said:

If trubisky does not get any playing time I really do not see him being a hot commodity after next year probably would be happy to be the back up again

Hope to God that I never see Mitch Trubisky start a game in a bills uniform that doesn’t include resting the starters. not an indictment on the kids talent level but if we see him unexpectedly, we’re in trouble.

4 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Been saying for a while that Darnold will be a great backup for Allen. They get along well and being around Allen can help Darnold too.

4 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

What're you, the reincarnation of Ralph Wilson?

• Haha (+1) 2

For all we know, Darnold will be the MVP this year. In Houston. We don't even know where the guy will be playing.

Nor do we know how much playing time Trubisky will get, or how well he will perform.

Far far too early to have much of a sensible opinion on this.

5 hours ago, Mango said:

Fromm will have developed...or he won’t have and we will replace Mitch with another vet. 

I agree, it’s really that simple. Backup QB in 2022 is something that doesn’t remotely stress me. It’s a luxury to draft a decent backup, otherwise you just sign a dependable free agent. It’s not like there’s many elite backup QB’s. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

The one things I'd question is what if Allen is as healthy in 2021 as he was in 2020?  Barkley officially played in 4 games, but only contributed statistically a little bit in 2 games.  If that happens again, other than pre-season what would teams have to go off to give him the big contract he's hoping to get.

On the other hand likely the plan would be to go with Fromm in 2022 unless he looks very shaky in practice.  If so then all bets are off and could be Darnold, Barkely returns, Fitz, or who knows.

I could see Trubisky benefitting from his time in Buffalo without seeing the field. The Bills are finally a well respected franchise. League wide opinion of our management and coaching staff is very positive. It’s possible that teams will assume Trubisky learned more about the game here, regardless of how much game action he sees. Quality game film in 2021 is obviously Trubisky’s greatest chance for a big contract, but I think he’ll benefit just from being here.

Don’t underestimate how much a year away from the Bears can help him either. Trubisky could benefit just from the human tendency to have a short memory. He’ll look more appealing to teams without coming off another below average year as starter with the Bears. 

1 minute ago, SirAndrew said:

I could see Trubisky benefitting from his time in Buffalo without seeing the field. The Bills are finally a well respected franchise. League wide opinion of our management and coaching staff is very positive. It’s possible that teams will assume Trubisky learned more about the game here, regardless of how much game action he sees. Quality game film in 2021 is obviously Trubisky’s greatest chance for a big contract, but I think he’ll benefit just from being here.

Don’t underestimate how much a year away from the Bears can help him either. Trubisky could benefit just from the human tendency to have a short memory. He’ll look more appealing to teams without coming off another below average year as starter with the Bears. 

I agree with everything you're saying, likely he will get offers, but question some reports that he'll get a big contract unless he does see the field a fair amount.  Maybe $10 mil which for a starting QB is on the low side.  But could see him taking a low deal maybe with incentives, just to prove he can still play.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

Can we just get through 2021 first?? Man I hate this time of year.

Rampant anxiety about everything combined with lockdowns have left us pondering the backup QB next season.  

I'll take it a step farther...is Davis Webb offended by this sighing?  And, how does Jake Fromm feel about this?  Should we have an apologetic thread for both of them?

These are the worries I have. :lol:

• Haha (+1) 2

6 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Personally....I would love if Fromm comes in and kills it in pre season.....I would feel a lot better

Likely NFLPA is trying to eliminate preseason since it is not necessary in their opinion.

It certainly was necessary for Zebras.