Peterman signed to extension

YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

Almost completely correct.  The Bills traded McCarron to the Raiders for a 2019 5th rounder.

So what?  They paid a 3rd string QB 50% more than the Raiders just gave NP (and they had actually signed him for 2 years 10 million, lol!).

The Bills blew the 5th round pick on Joseph, why the way.

• Eyeroll 1

The “so what” is that $4 million of the cap hit was from a signing bonus that was supposed to be paid out over two years. But when the Raiders were willing to trade for him they took the hit in one year, along with all the other cap hits they took that year.

9 minutes ago, prissythecat said:

Perhaps Gruden knows something most of us don't?  Remember how Peterman had a small but fiercely loyal following here.   There had to be some reason for it.

McDermott, party of one?

22 minutes ago, Doc said:

True, Mariota is better than Barkley.  He's also 4-1/2 times the price.  Peterman, lol, no.

Mariota would be an awesome backup for Josh. Unfortunately, cost prohibitive. I don’t think Mariota finds another starting job though. Maybe next year he’s cheaper. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

People here having a lot of fun with this...but it's worth recalling that the Bills paid AJ McCarron 4.1 million guaranteed dollars to be the 3rd string QB, only to cut him before the season started (which led to the infamous decision to make this same Nate Peterman the week 1 starter).

Last year, the Texans paid AJ 4 millions for a single pass.

You are a hard marker Weo..

They signed McCarron  as an insurance policy after getting rid of Tyrods cap hit which I cant be bothered looking up but was excessive, and before the draft and picking JA ( which was obviously not a given)...

Edited by Aussie Joe

4 hours ago, Success said:

Good for Nate.  One game doesn't define a guy - that was a poor set of circumstances, to have his 1st start be on the road against one of the league's better pass rushes.

Yep, negative reactions and selective memory by some.  I was at that game.  The first INT was a short pass that was a little off target that DiMarco popped up in the air.  Two others were in the face of a rush that affected the throws.  Still, I admit, when it got to five INTs, we were calling for Tyrod.

He is fortunate to be making that kind of money with such a history.

8 hours ago, TBBills said:

Looks like the raiders are going to need a new front office/HC soon.

10 year, $100 million guaranteed contract means he keeps job until end of contract.

No way can owner afford to pay him if he cuts him.

8 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You guys all made fun of him....he’s richer than all of you.  

Probably are all of the guys you make fun of.

The NFL. A place where talent wins but god fearing, nice guys last. 

4 hours ago, Blue on Blue said:

Little losers love to belittle Nate.  For a fleeting moment they can tell themselves they're tall.

Or they criticise him for being, you know, quite bad at his job? 

The man has a job so good for him.  In these times, where so many people are laid off, small businesses closing if he retains his job, great.  Someone reminded me he was a 5th round pick so how much do you expect out of him?  3rd stringers don’t usually see a lot of time, so $2.7 mil. for holding a clipboard isn’t a bad thing.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

10 year, $100 million guaranteed contract means he keeps job until end of contract.

No way can owner afford to pay him if he cuts him.

Probably are all of the guys you make fun of.

That has never stoped an owner before.

10 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

No he’s really not...

I think if you check, you will find he is. No telling how long that will last, but Peterman is in fact an NFL backup. Not a top-rank one, as his salary clearly shows, but he is one.

He sure looked horrible here, but a part of the problem was that he shouldn't have been starting. The Bills were partly at fault in this.

If you look at Peyton Manning's first four games, he threw 3 TDs and 11 INTS and had a QB rating around 50.

Peterman is likely a very different guy now than he was when we saw him. And before the people with less than perfect understanding of arguments begin, no, I'm not saying Peterman should be compared with Manning in any way other than the way I just compared them. I'm using Manning as an example of a guy who turned into a superb QB who wasn't good when in his first few games on the field. And Manning was drafted way way above Peterman.

9 hours ago, Success said:

Good for Nate.  One game doesn't define a guy - that was a poor set of circumstances, to have his 1st start be on the road against one of the league's better pass rushes.

One game?

Look, we know why Gruden loves him.  Playing the scout QB each week he gives the defense loads of confidence heading into Sunday’s game.

Edited by eball
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, HOUSE said:

That guy can throw a football 50 yards through a basketball hoop while standing on a bridge

11 hours ago, Captain_Quint said:

As long as a member of the other team is standing under the hoop, he can do it 3 or 4 times in a row.

Actually, if there are any opposing players there, NP declines to make the throw and runs for it. 😁

I previously referred to a video of Gruden ragging on Peterman in practice over holding the ball too long.  Maybe the contract is to assuage hurt feelings?  The Raiders have made a few Bizarro World decisions during the last few years.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, ColeB said:

Yep, negative reactions and selective memory by some.  I was at that game.  The first INT was a short pass that was a little off target that DiMarco popped up in the air.  Two others were in the face of a rush that affected the throws.  Still, I admit, when it got to five INTs, we were calling for Tyrod.

He is fortunate to be making that kind of money with such a history.

I will forever be convinced that the Bills' O Line refused to block for Peterman in that game.  My mind cannot be changed.

But Peterman was bad every time he took the field.  Really bad.

No fanbase in the NFL obsesses over the QB2 spot more than Bills fans.  It's funny (kind of) how consumed Bills fans get over who the backup will be and how important it is.  

I, for one, am very happy for Nate Peterman.

12 hours ago, Success said:

But Peterman proceeded to have more than one game with the Bills.   For instance,  he was our starter against the Ravens.  For that game ,  he hd a 0 passer rating.  Imagine that zero.    Also,  Peterman's career passer rating in the 30s is actually worse than what you would get just throwing the ball into the ground all the time as I recall.

2 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

God Bless America.  Dude is going to end up with close to $5 million dollars in his bank account by being historically terrible at what he does.   Says a lot about being a likeable person. 

Not exactly. First he’ll pay a boatload in taxes before it ever gets to his bank account and then he’ll pay his agent from what’s left, and then he’ll pray that his monthly budget doesn’t exceed his take home, while all the while praying he saves enough to last him for the next FIFTY years following football. 

4 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

The man has a job so good for him.  In these times, where so many people are laid off, small businesses closing if he retains his job, great.  Someone reminded me he was a 5th round pick so how much do you expect out of him?  3rd stringers don’t usually see a lot of time, so $2.7 mil. for holding a clipboard isn’t a bad thing.

Chuckie is probably thinking: "Damn... I wanted to cut Nasty Nate, with the salary cap dropping, but he's just got the steadiest clipboard-holding-grip I ever done seen. Cut that man a $2.775 Million check, so nobody steals him from us!"

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

...while all the while praying he saves enough to last him for the next FIFTY years following football. 

I have one word for Mr. Peterman: plastics.  Or insurance salesman.  Or like many of the old AFL guys, work construction in the off season or retirement. 

13 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

So what?  They paid a 3rd string QB 50% more than the Raiders just gave NP (and they had actually signed him for 2 years 10 million, lol!).

The Bills blew the 5th round pick on Joseph, why the way.

They were expecting him to start...

• Thank you (+1) 1

Hey, I was actually rooting for him to make some NFL money a bit to be able to digest that INT filled debut. But $2.75M? My soft heart is more than sated. That's too much ha ha. Dude must be really awesome in practice and in the film room for coaches to love him so much

Every time I think of Peterman, I think of the radio skit Shredd & Ragan had when they had someone make a Peterman parody of AC/DCs "TNT" and it was called "INT" and in the background you can hear the announcer calls of Peterman's interceptions. It was great 

• Haha (+1) 2