This Thread is about Kyle Orton

Brennan Huff

You guys remember when some of us actually thought that Kyle Orton was our savior? Kyle freaking Orton. I’ll admit that I was included in that group. Even bought a “Uncle Orton” tee shirt. What an amazing time to be a Bills fan. Not only are we legit, but we have a team that’s built for a long run. No more journeyman QBs who have a fluke game and we start throwing them keys to the city. Soak it in Bills fans. I know this probably didn’t need a thread but I started it anyways...

Edited by Brennan Huff
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 3

The Bears traded Orton PLUS two first-round draft picks to Denver in exchange for Jay freakin' Cutler. Anyone who thought Orton would be a great QB, let alone a franchise savior, was seriously delusional.

What I remember is a lot of Bills fans wanting to get Cutler, which would have also been a disaster - and an expensive one at that.

2 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

The Bears traded Orton PLUS two first-round draft picks to Denver in exchange for Jay freakin' Cutler. Anyone who thought Orton would be a great QB, let alone a franchise savior, was seriously delusional.

What I remember is a lot of Bills fans wanting to get Cutler, which would have also been a disaster - and an expensive one at that.

Well obviously you weren’t the type to be fooled by his mid season heroics. I was talking about us simple folk who are easily entertained by bright lights and loud noises

8 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Was that before or after Colorado became weed tolerant?  Both sides were sampling the 'enhanced' brownies. 🥴

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

The sad reality is that Kyle Orton was a rare bright spot on the QB position with this franchise.  He was one of the better QBs we had for quite a long time.

Be thankful those days are over, at least for now.

• Like (+1) 5

11 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

The Bills needed a competent QB to supplement an elite defense. That's what they got in Orton and it kind of worked since the team went 9-7. I think Orton would have done a little better had Spiller not gotten banged up again and he had a better O-line.

Yeah, I don't recall many seriously anointing him a savior outside of a tongue-in-cheek joke. He was just a guy that gave us a better chance to break the playoff drought than EJ.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

He was a poor man's Fitzmagic...

That's probably the best way to describe him. The great news is I don't have to think about the 20 some garbage qbs we had to weed through to get to Josh. So the next time you feel compelled to click on a JP Loseman, Trent or EJ thread just "say no".

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

You guys remember when some of us actually thought that Kyle Orton was our savior? Kyle freaking Orton. I’ll admit that I was included in that group. Even bought a “Uncle Orton” tee shirt. What an amazing time to be a Bills fan. Not only are we legit, but we have a team that’s built for a long run. No more journeyman QBs who have a fluke game and we start throwing them keys to the city. Soak it in Bills fans. I know this probably didn’t need a thread but I started it anyways...

You have to take into account one thing that's changed, back then 2014 and go back 10 years prior, there was a league wide shortage at the QB position so back then if you had a journeyman, you were in the same group as about 1/2 the other teams and felt OK about things and about another 1/4 were in even worse shape.  The likelihood of finding the next guy at QB was lower.  Now for whatever reason not the league wide shortage.  Maybe it's more the result of rule changes that allow mobile QB's to not get the stuffing beat out of them and can succeed or something else.  Today I only count 8 teams that don't have anyone on their roster that they didn't draft within the last few years or an established star that could/is become a franchise QB.

• Like (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, Brennan Huff said:

Couldn’t stand him because he represented more 8-8 seasons. I will NEVER get the “ Fetal position” play when he just quit. 
   Wuss!!!!!!!!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

We all grew ‘staches and smoked cigars at the tailgate.

What a time to be alive.

He was a man's man, man...

6 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Couldn’t stand him because he represented more 8-8 seasons. I will NEVER get the “ Fetal position” play when he just quit. 
   Wuss!!!!!!!!!!

I wasn't even disappointed with that play. It simply encapsulated the familiar aura of Orton: he was there to do a job, get paid, and get out of there in one piece.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

I never understood what people saw in Kyle Orton. 

He was 32 years old and was complete garbage his entire career. 

I was more excited about JP Losman, EJ Manuel and Trent Edwards. At least they were young.

They saw he was better than all of them.

Here's how low our QB experience and expectations were when we brought in Orton...

I vividly remember the first time he ran a screen play that was covered, and instead of trying to force something or scramble around and end up taking a bad sack, he threw the ball in the dirt at the feet of the RB... and we all thought "Finally, a competent QB move. That's smart football!"

That was how low the bar was, and why he looked "good" to Bills fans.

edit: For evidence, see @Chandler#81's post right above this. :thumbsup:

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nucci said:

why is there a thread about Kyle Orton? Billy Joe Hobert next?

Doubtful but thanks for contributing to this one

26 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Here's how low our QB experience and expectations were when we brought in Orton...

I vividly remember the first time he ran a screen play that was covered, and instead of trying to force something or scramble around and end up taking a bad sack, he threw the ball in the dirt at the feet of the RB... and we all thought "Finally, a competent QB move. That's smart football!"

That was how low the bar was, and why he looked "good" to Bills fans.

edit: For evidence, see @Chandler#81's post right about this. :thumbsup:

We were desperate for a QB. And he kinda sorta looked like Uncle Rico

• Like (+1) 2

I went to the NE game in October 2014, the game where the Pegulas were introduced before the game.  I remember at some point screaming "You suck" at Orton.  I did it a few more times watching the Bills on TV that season, especially during the Oakland game.  I knew he was an upgrade from EJ, but I was never thrilled with the guy.  After he quit, Marrone couldn't stomach another season with EJ as his potential starter and quit too.  After Rex was hired and the Bills signed Tyrod, I predicted that Tyrod would be the 2015 starter because he couldn't possibly be as bad as either EJ or Cassel.  

10 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I went to the NE game in October 2014, the game where the Pegulas were introduced before the game.  I remember at some point screaming "You suck" at Orton.  I did it a few more times watching the Bills on TV that season, especially during the Oakland game.  I knew he was an upgrade from EJ, but I was never thrilled with the guy.  After he quit, Marrone couldn't stomach another season with EJ as his potential starter and quit too.  After Rex was hired and the Bills signed Tyrod, I predicted that Tyrod would be the 2015 starter because he couldn't possibly be as bad as either EJ or Cassel.  

What a mess the franchise was for so long. Matt freaking Cassel. And who was the guy that tripped over the mat in preseason?

1 hour ago, streetkings01 said:

Orton was a good backup QB.

His 2014 stats weren’t that bad..... 12g - 64% comp - 3018 yds - 18td - 10 int

7-5 record 

He was a puss who slid short instead of diving on 3rd and 1 with the playoffs on the line.

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

He was a poor man's Fitzmagic...

Don't even mention that puss Orton in the same breath as Fitzy.  Fitzy would have dove on 3rd and 1 in Denver instead of sliding short like Orton.  Playoffs on the line, and Orton pusses out.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Wuss!!!!!!!!!!

Yep. This is how I will always remember Orton...

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1