What are some of the NFL's COVID Rules you would like to see stay.

MAJBobby

1.  I would love to keep the expanded PS with no limits on who can sign like this year (alot of ability to get veteran depth in your organization).

2.  I love the IR, KEEP it that way were three weeks and you can come back, also keep the no limit.

3.  Expanded roster, I love the ease of the 2 free PS Callups, keep it, it is a way to add depth on gameday and reward those PS players busting their ass

Off top of my head that is all I can think of that I would love to see brought on as full time here on out, I also think all three help that 18 game schedule wish the owners would like. 

I want the expanded playoffs to go away.  Keep it at 6 teams or go full time to 8, if there is a bye given out it should be to both 1 and 2 seeds, if you are not going to do that then go to 8 in the playoff.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Keep the players in the locker room for the anthem but that’s about it.

33 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

1.  I would love to keep the expanded PS with no limits on who can sign like this year (alot of ability to get veteran depth in your organization).

2.  I love the IR, KEEP it that way were three weeks and you can come back, also keep the no limit.

3.  Expanded roster, I love the ease of the 2 free PS Callups, keep it, it is a way to add depth on gameday and reward those PS players busting their ass

Off top of my head that is all I can think of that I would love to see brought on as full time here on out, I also think all three help that 18 game schedule wish the owners would like. 

I want the expanded playoffs to go away.  Keep it at 6 teams or go full time to 8, if there is a bye given out it should be to both 1 and 2 seeds, if you are not going to do that then go to 8 in the playoff.

All of these too.

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to What are some of the NFL's COVID Rules you would like to see stay.

I wonder also if the “protected player status” every week has had any impact. It does seem Trey Adams is on our protected PS player every week. So I think I might also like that idea going forward with the expanded PS rosters as well. 

46 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I wonder also if the “protected player status” every week has had any impact. It does seem Trey Adams is on our protected PS player every week. So I think I might also like that idea going forward with the expanded PS rosters as well. 

All the points you have brought up would be appropriate improvements for player management, and to keep teams healthier (IR rule) and playing better football. It really does improve the product imo.

6 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

1.  We will jerk the Buffalo Bills around as much as possible.

2.  We will bend over forward to accommodate the Tennessee Titans, while screwing everyone else in the league, except the Ravens.

You mean those rules?

To be fair, they jerked the Steelers around too and favored the Patriots (IMO)

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

All of the above.  Great post and I really hope the NFL keeps an open mind about this.  The 3 week IR is necessary.  Full year IR IS ridiculous. They talk about the safety of the players being paramount, take action.  The previous IR rules are outdated and must be changed.  Just absurd tbh

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

All the roster flexibility stuff that @MAJBobbymentioned would be great honestly. Given the  other roster restrictions there’s no reason for a hard and fast 6 week IR rule. 

Those would all be great though it would be interesting to see how things might be different without the covid restrictions they seemed to damper trades and PS yoinking.

7 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

IR, for sure.

On 12/16/2020 at 12:45 AM, Watkins101 said:

Maybe my mind just fabricated this, but I believe the practice squad players that could be activated for game day was not a Covid rule, and was just a new rule that was being added. 

The two free activations and send back down without waivers I believe was a COVID rule. 

I too like the IR rule, the NFL has long had an antiquated IR system. The 3 week IR just makes complete sense and will improve player safety. The expanded roster and PS systems that the OP mentioned are also good ideas to stay.

I also am curious to see if the NFL seems to keep any of these rules beyond the season. 

The OP picked most and agree.  I’d only add as we had no preseason games this year, that now that there are changes coming, allowing fans, and have 1-2 pre-season games (not .... thing just fans back in stands would be great).  Pre-season games by only having 1-2 is long enough to make an evaluation on players.  I’d like UDFA’s getting their chance to prove themselves.  I think we would’ve known Dane Jackson would’ve shined in those games and maybe made it in the field earlier in the season.  I would bet lower drafted players, and UDFA’s would end up making up most of the team in that 1-2 games.

I know they didn’t vote for a 17th game at the recent meeting, but I think something was mentioned in NFLR they approved the rules for if they had17 games.  You can tell this is coming.  Even if they had only 1 pre-season game, and a 17th game, with these new changes with expanded practice squad, players of any veteran status allowed on PS, and a flexible IR policy would make it easy to make those changes.

I would like just for the enjoyment a regular double header for MNF.  Nice part is more teams get Nat’l attention so helps everyone and the whole we can’t have before 8:30 pm due to the west coast gets thrown out. 7 and 9 pm for East to Central time zone teams early, and central to west play the late game.  T, W, and F would be too much.  Saturday games were always there and hope that stays once the college season ends.  I can’t wait fir the Saturday game this week and we can enjoy other things on a Sunday.

Anyway, good football topic.  

Edited by machine gun kelly
  • Like (+1) 1

One thing that has NOT changed, which I just don’t understand is the requirement on game day to designate inactive players on the active roster. 

If a team has 53, or even 55 players, you should be able to dress all of them. This reduces the temptation to try and force players injured mid-contest back into the game. 

This is what I’d like to see done. 

53 man rosters, with NO in-actives....but they also remove the short term IR and instead allow for the two PS call ups a week, extending the number of call-ups allowed to 3 weeks (to match the former duration of short term IR).

Edited by EmotionallyUnstable
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

The two free activations and send back down without waivers I believe was a COVID rule. 

I thought I remembered it as part of the new CBA, so I looked it up. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29820641/inside-new-nfl-roster-rules-2020-expanded-rosters-practice-squad-injured-reserve%3fplatform=amp

The rule was in the CBA, and not a rule implemented due to covid.

On 12/15/2020 at 4:54 PM, MAJBobby said:

I like all of this.  And I think the bye should be for the top 2 teams.  Gives more teams something to play for at the end of the regular season as well other than "seeding" without a bye.  

On 12/15/2020 at 3:54 PM, MAJBobby said:

I think 2. is great....it allows teams more roster flexibility and allows players to go on IR and heal without losing a season of building their game and reputation.

3. kind of goes along with it...

I think the NFLPA in general may be against the "no limits on who can sign to PS" rule.  I think their POV might be it would allow teams to circumvent vet minimum by keeping vets on PS and signing rookies.  Not sure, just guessing.

43 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

All right, everyone, we've fixed the NFL's scheduling, seeding, and roster management regulations.

What's next?

Can we fix the officiating?? 
its a huge ask... 😂

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Watkins101 said:

I thought I remembered it as part of the new CBA, so I looked it up. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29820641/inside-new-nfl-roster-rules-2020-expanded-rosters-practice-squad-injured-reserve%3fplatform=amp

The rule was in the CBA, and not a rule implemented due to covid.

Thanks perfect. I love that rule 

I think all 3 that you mentioned would be a good keep for moving forward especially if they go with 17 games i never understood why if you have a hamstring injury unless it's really bad or the player is just a camp body for competition if it will heal in a couple weeks why they can't be brought back .

I'm really glad this year because of that rule JB will be able to return pretty much fresh for a play off run and that a could be huge !! 

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/15/2020 at 7:18 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

To be fair, they jerked the Steelers around too and favored the Patriots (IMO)

On 12/16/2020 at 12:05 AM, Freddie's Dead said:

Favoring the Cheats goes without saying.

NFL had a good reason for P*ts on that.  They knew ratings went up significantly whenever the cheaters had a beat down on national TV.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 12/15/2020 at 4:54 PM, MAJBobby said:

Im all on board with this but im for 8 teams. It you gives you a better chance to get in and keeps more fans involved in the playoffs , which is more money for the league, win win.