Future of AFC Quarterbacks...it'll be a gauntlet every year!!!

Hebert19

Has anyone taken the time to look at the AFC vs NFC young GOOD QBs?   There are like 10 QBs that allen will be battling for the next 10 years.  

Mahomes

Jackson

Burrows

Herbert

Tua

Lawrence (likely)

Watson 

Mayfield 

Plus relatively young guys like Carr and Tannehill.  

Meanwhile in NFC...you got potential busts like Haskins and Jones.  Old timers like brees Brady and rogers.  Soon to he older like Wilson Stafford and Ryan. 

What is there for young and GOOD?   Murray?   Dak if he ever comes back the same.  

It is a huge discrepancy between future of AFC and NFC.   Cap management is going to be key to keep us competitive.  

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Has anyone taken the time to look at the AFC vs NFC young GOOD QBs?   There are like 10 QBs that allen will be battling for the next 10 years.  

Mahomes

Jackson

Burrows

Herbert

Tua

Lawrence (likely)

Watson 

Mayfield 

Meanwhile in NFC...you got potential busts like Haskins and Jones.  Old timers like brees Brady and rogers.  Soon to he older like Wilson Stafford and Ryan. 

What is there for young and GOOD?   Murray?   Dak if he ever comes back the same.  

It is a huge discrepancy between future of AFC and NFC.   Cap management is going to be key to keep us competitive.  

Why is Tua and Burrow on there? Even Lawrence we wont know for a while.

Edited by TBBills
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, TBBills said:

number 1 and 5 overall picks? Lawrence likely number 1 overall to the Jets.  Shouldn't be hard to understand. Burrow looked impressive on a bad team.

• Like (+1) 3

I'm in the minority, but I never thought Jackson would be a long-term star. I would take him off your list, along with Mayfield, who is already turning out to be mediocre. But Watson is the real thing, along with Burrow and Herbert. Too early to tell about Tua. Both Carr and Tannehill are really good. I'm biased, of course, but I think Mahomes and Allen will turn out to be a cut above all of them. But you're right: The best young QBs are concentrated in the AFC. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, klos63 said:

number 1 and 5 overall picks? Lawrence likely number 1 overall to the Jets.  Shouldn't be hard to understand. Burrow looked impressive on a bad team.

I know but Burrows injury is very bad. Tua has not shown anything other than the ability to be replaced by Fitz of all people. As of right now who knows if either will be around in a few years or alone 10...

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, klos63 said:

This.  

11 minutes ago, TBBills said:

I know but Burrows injury is very bad. Tua has not shown anything other than the ability to be replaced by Fitz of all people. As of right now who knows if either will be around in a few years or alone 10...

So take a couple off.  Murray vs 9.  Afc is still a ***** show. 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Mahomes

Jackson

Burrows

Herbert

Tua

Lawrence (likely)

Watson 

Mayfield 

Don't forget about the biggest bust Wentz. NF wins them the championship and they cut him and give a huge contract to Wentz. If they cut him he will count 50 million against the cap next year talk about dumb. 

Herbert is going to be a stud qb. If we didn't have Allen I would love to have him in Buffalo.

Edited by ALLEN1QB
  • Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

I have Watson as a top 15 qb but not super elite    He’s too immobile and he’s kind of a Bledsoe back there.  Doesn’t sense the rush all that well. His teams will always have to shell out franchise tackle money. His career sack percentage is poor. 

huh?! 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Hebert19 said:

Mahomes

Jackson

Burrows

Herbert

Tua

Lawrence (likely)

Watson 

Mayfield 

Tua and Baker to me are question marks. I could see Cleveland giving Baker a second contract yet he's an Eli Manning as he's good but not a top end guy and might not have the clutch gene Eli seemed to have. Lamar likely stays in Baltimore but if their defense starts to level off he might not amount to being middle of the road type.

Edited by The Jokeman
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, The Jokeman said:

Tua and Baker to me are question marks. I could see Cleveland giving Baker a second contract yet he's  an Eli Manning type in he's good but not a guy a top end guy and might not have the clutch gene Eli seemed to have.

Agree.  But tua has already won as many games as haskins and Jones.  :)

I see Jackson on a downward trajectory. Tua has done absolutely nothing (and just got benched).

But yes, there have been many good QB's enter the league the past few years. It's a relief, actually. For the longest time there were no young guys coming up to replace the old legends like Brady, Manning, Rodgers, etc. Now we finally have a good crop of young guns.

1 hour ago, Bferra13 said:

Mayfield kinda sucks. Just sayin. And Tua hasn't proven anything.

I think Mayfield is competent, and he is always a threat to have things click and have a big game.

Jackson won't be a starter in 3 years

Mayfield blows

Tua...verdict is still out obviously but I really think he ends up being a bust, I just don't think he has it

Burrow we likely won't see until 2022, hopefully he can have a full recovery

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, YattaOkasan said:

Any thought on if Darnold finds a home in the NFC and turns it around?  That would balance it out better.   Sure the bears would love to have him. 

I think the cowboys should've traded for Darnold when they had the chance. We could've seen what he could do with talent around him on the o-line and at Wr.

4 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

Mahomes

Jackson

Burrows

Herbert

Tua

Lawrence (likely)

Watson 

Mayfield 

I get what you’re saying. We finally have our guy but there’s potentially going to always be steep competition in our conference.

That said, it’s nice to finally have our guy and to have fans of other teams feel the same way about our QB.

7 minutes ago, Bronxbomber21 said:

I think the cowboys should've traded for Darnold when they had the chance. We could've seen what he could do with talent around him on the o-line and at Wr.

Darnold sucks.

Darnold had Robby Anderson last season and could not connect at all on the deep ball. The Jets were so disgusted with Darnold's poor play that they purposely let Robby walk and are tanking because they gave up on Darnold before the season even began. Robby Anderson goes to Carolina and lights it up with Teddy B. Robby is having a career year away from Darnold.

Darnold is nothing but a Liability and a Terrible QB. Stop talking about Darnold like he has any hope of ever being good - He doesn't, not for any NFL team.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

I have Watson as a top 15 qb but not super elite    He’s too immobile and he’s kind of a Bledsoe back there.  Doesn’t sense the rush all that well. His teams will always have to shell out franchise tackle money. His career sack percentage is poor. 

Uhhhhhh, yeah, just like Bledsoe. :rolleyes:

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, TBBills said:

Lawerence is the consensus best QB prospect since Luck in 2012.

Burrow proved he belonged, but I agree with others who have stated he might never be the same. If it was a clean ACL tear, that’d be one thing. 

Tua, for sure it’s too early to tell. He has looked limited in two games out of 4 so far.

12 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Lawerence is the consensus best QB prospect since Luck in 2012.

Burrow proved he belonged, but I agree with others who have stated he might never be the same. If it was a clean ACL tear, that’d be one thing. 

Tua, for sure it’s too early to tell. He has looked limited in two games out of 4 so far.

Yea and we saw what happened to Luck... Unless the Jets Owner all the sudden knows how to pick a GM/HC chances of Lawrence being good go down with every Jets loss.

They really have a long way with that team and need to get super lucky.

Edited by TBBills

6 hours ago, JoshAllenReceipts said:

Darnold sucks.

Darnold had Robby Anderson last season and could not connect at all on the deep ball. The Jets were so disgusted with Darnold's poor play that they purposely let Robby walk and are tanking because they gave up on Darnold before the season even began. Robby Anderson goes to Carolina and lights it up with Teddy B. Robby is having a career year away from Darnold.

Darnold is nothing but a Liability and a Terrible QB. Stop talking about Darnold like he has any hope of ever being good - He doesn't, not for any NFL team.

Thanks for that....I have ALWAYS thought the same.  From time to time he will get a lil hot but all in all.....not so much.

7 hours ago, Bronxbomber21 said:

Darnold was surrounded with plenty of talent at USC.  He still stunk.  I cannot understand why this guy was ever viewed as a good QB prospect. As I recall, he had a few good games as a redshirt freshman and people went crazy and ignored the rest of the body of work.  That being said, it would not surprise me if some team is still dumb enough to give the Jets a 3rd round pick for him.  

Everybody can flame on this post if they want but it is actually pretty interesting to see how things have evolved...especially with Brady moving over to the NFC. The NFC is looking pretty long in the tooth with Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Ryan, Stafford, even Alex Smith now starting. In the AFC we have Big Ben and Rivers on their way out and a long list of young QBs coming up. I’ve got to imagine we’ll see quite a bit of turnover in the NFC in the years ahead. 

11 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

Mahomes

Jackson

Burrows

Herbert

Tua

Lawrence (likely)

Watson 

Mayfield 

I see one definite passing QB candidate and 1 or 2 other likely candidates that you listed that has shown us success.

Curious ....  Why did you omit Kyler Murray?  

Faker Mayfield.  Said to be better than Josh, may be around for a while. 

Deshaun Watson has shown success. when the GH/HC doesn't take away your best weapons.

Lamar may not be a starter for long unless he becomes a passing QB who can thrive when the run isn't there.  AKA Make him a QB

the others need to PROVE it over the next 2 or 3 years Just like Josh had to improve from year 1 to year 2 to year 3. 

I've seen some good in Burrow and wish him well.  

I've seen some good in Herbert and wish him well.  

I've seen very little in Tua but hype.  

13 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

I see one definite passing QB candidate and 1 or 2 other likely candidates that you listed that has shown us success.

Curious ....  Why did you omit Kyler Murray?  

Faker Mayfield.  Said to be better than Josh, may be around for a while. 

Deshaun Watson has shown success. when the GH/HC doesn't take away your best weapons.

Lamar may not be a starter for long unless he becomes a passing QB who can thrive when the run isn't there.  AKA Make him a QB

the others need to PROVE it over the next 2 or 3 years Just like Josh had to improve from year 1 to year 2 to year 3. 

I've seen some good in Burrow and wish him well.  

I've seen some good in Herbert and wish him well.  

I've seen very little in Tua but hype.  

Ref. Murray: not to speak for OP, but he was listing the AFC's young guns.

Murray certainly is an heir apparent to the old folks home that is the NFC quarterback club.

If I have to pick the one that scares me, it's Herbert.

Where a lot of teams have gone wrong (Bengals, Jets among others) vs right (KC, Buffalo, sort of Baltimore) is not providing their new QB with a good O line and targets.

(Baltimore is a little weak on WRs, but has a good O line, and had a good TE corps with the ability to stretch the field with Hollywood, so I say "sort of" but he was still in a good position to succeed.)

Herbert has neither, really, and is still lighting it up. His TD to turnover ratio is better than JA17's this year - it's quite impressive.

Yes, he has one phenomenal possession receiver, getting...~70% of the targets. Yet he is near the top of QBs in AYA, long pass completion, QBR when under pressure and when not,.

He does equally well out of play-action and when not play-action and his RB1 has been down most of the year with bottom four YPA in rushing.

His O-line is mediocre at best, and arguably worse.

Get him another good speed receiver and a LT and center...hoo boy.

3 minutes ago, timekills17 said:

Ref. Murray: not to speak for OP, but he was listing the AFC's young guns.

Murray certainly is an heir apparent to the old folks home that is the NFC quarterback club.

If I have to pick the one that scares me, it's Herbert.

Where a lot of teams have gone wrong (Bengals, Jets among others) vs right (KC, Buffalo, sort of Baltimore) is not providing their new QB with a good O line and targets.

(Baltimore is a little weak on WRs, but has a good O line, and had a good TE corps with the ability to stretch the field with Hollywood, so I say "sort of" but he was still in a good position to succeed.)

Herbert has neither, really, and is still lighting it up. His TD to turnover ratio is better than JA17's this year - it's quite impressive.

Yes, he has one phenomenal possession receiver, getting...~70% of the targets. Yet he is near the top of QBs in AYA, long pass completion, QBR when under pressure and when not,.

He does equally well out of play-action and when not play-action and his RB1 has been down most of the year with bottom four YPA in rushing.

His O-line is mediocre at best, and arguably worse.

Get him another good speed receiver and a LT and center...hoo boy.

Herbert has also had to overcome awful coaching...

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

Mahomes

Jackson

Burrows

Herbert

Tua

Lawrence (likely)

Watson 

Mayfield 

to be fair, a few of these young unproven guys probably level out similar to Goff or Wentz in the nfc (if tua even gets there). And tannehill isn’t exactly scary. 

Edited by NoSaint

Really not worried about anyone on that list, except for what could become, a routine match up in the playoffs against the Mahomes-led Chiefs.  

If I had to put QB's to watch, it would be Herbert and Lawrence, but we haven't seen Herbert have to counter-punch yet and who knows what Lawrence is in the NFL - especially if taken by the Jets. 

Edited by SCBills

Mahomes is the only one that matters. I would rank Herbert 2nd based on what we've seen.  I think Lamar and Baker will flame out. Not a big enough sample size from Tua & Lawrence. Watson is older and his best shot was last year. If the Bills retool their defense, I can easily see Josh batting with Mahomes & Herbert for years.

Daniel Jones is not a bust like Haskins is.  Jones will never be a franchise QB, but he can be a solid starter a team can win with.  I doubt the poster who called Jones a bust sees the Giants much if at all.  I get to see the Giants whenever they don't conflict with the Bills, since we get every Giants game in Albany & Jones just needs to learn not to turn the ball over.  He fumbles too much but that can be fixed.  Tiki Barber used to fumble early in his career & he fixed it.  So can Danny Dimes, who I'm confident enough in this week to use the Giants as my suicide pool pick. 

13 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

Mahomes

Jackson

Burrows

Herbert

Tua

Lawrence (likely)

Watson 

Mayfield 

The only QB on that list that anyone should be scared about on a regular basis right now is Mahomes.    Jackson has been figured out.  Burrows won't even play until 2022 at this stage due to the nature of his injury.  Herbert has shown some flashes but has only played a few games.  Have you watched Tua?  This guy hasn't been a factor in the Dolphins wins and was benched for Fitz.  Watson hasn't looked very good this season and perhaps was overly propped up by arguably the best receiver in NFL.  Mayfield's play has regressed since his rookie year.     Carr and Tannehill?  Meh/

32 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Daniel Jones is not a bust like Haskins is.  Jones will never be a franchise QB, but he can be a solid starter a team can win with.  I doubt the poster who called Jones a bust sees the Giants much if at all.  I get to see the Giants whenever they don't conflict with the Bills, since we get every Giants game in Albany & Jones just needs to learn not to turn the ball over.  He fumbles too much but that can be fixed.  Tiki Barber used to fumble early in his career & he fixed it.  So can Danny Dimes, who I'm confident enough in this week to use the Giants as my suicide pool pick. 

The Giants aren't very well-constructed right now. They have some good skill players, but overall, they aren't very strong in the trenches.

I really like what I've seen out of Jones. He's inconsistent, but when he's on, he's very good.  They just need to build up the O-line to give him some more time, but he could be the starter there for many years.