What will a Jon Feliciano and Daryl Williams extension look like?

13 minutes ago, billspro said:

I wish, I think Feliciano will probably be 5 years 35 million and Williams will be 2 years 20 million. If they keep playing well that cost will continue to go up. 

I am not sure I'd pay Feliciano if it is at $7m per. He is our best run blocker and he gives great position flex between C/G but if we are going to be a pass first offense he is an average pass blocker and it doesn't make a lot of scheme sense. It is hard because he is the only proven guard we have currently but for a pass first team $7m on a guard whose strength is run blocking feels a bit rich.

33 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Lock both these guys up and draft all Defense

What FA TE's might be available? I want one of those too. I love the idea of all D draft. Go for a pair of CB's in rounds 1-3 and grab a great edge rusher or NT or LB.

44 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Lock both these guys up and draft all Defense

3 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

What FA TE's might be available? I want one of those too. I love the idea of all D draft. Go for a pair of CB's in rounds 1-3 and grab a great edge rusher or NT or LB.

Ted Washington NT to pair with Oliver and Star pleeeeease..

1 hour ago, GreggTX said:

I'm not of the impression that Feliciano is anything other than average. Daryl Williams just made someone's all-pro team at the midpoint of this season. At least they are both experienced. Signing Williams to an extension should be a top priority. We need to draft or trade for a better pair of starting G's. I'd like Feliciano to backup at C and G, but I don't want to pay depth $7 mill/yr. We can find better starters. When will Morse be back?

Where can we find better starters and not pay a good sized contract?

1 hour ago, Real McNasty said:

Just keep JA and the Oline intact. Most important puzzle pieces of a successful team right there. 

Dawkins, Ford , Morse, Feliciano and Williams is an above average line.  I agree with you.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not sure I'd pay Feliciano if it is at $7m per. He is our best run blocker and he gives great position flex between C/G but if we are going to be a pass first offense he is an average pass blocker and it doesn't make a lot of scheme sense. It is hard because he is the only proven guard we have currently but for a pass first team $7m on a guard whose strength is run blocking feels a bit rich.

He seems to be the heart and soul of the line. The rest of the guys play better when he is out there. This front office values that type of leadership. I hope we get him for less. I think he is going to get paid though. 

2 hours ago, Penfield45 said:

your joking right 

Klein is a mediocre player and nowhere near the talent Milano is LOL 

Come on, read what I wrote. Notice how nobody is talking about Milano this week? Or at the very least panicking over him being out against Murray? That could all change if Klein and Edmunds look lost and a step late all game. 

Am I crazy to want Williams re-signed over Milano? I think they would earn a similar contract. Give me the guy that I know will make an impact on the game every week. I've seen enough of the Cyrus Kouandjios and Jordan Mills of the football world to give up the first good RT we've had in years.

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

I think they’re both goners to be honest. With the cap dropping and the relative ease of filling RT and off-ball LB, they’re more likely to let them walk and take the comp picks. Bring back Ty at RT and draft a few LBs.

You are probably right about Williams. Small chance he could take a slight pay cut to stay in Buffalo at RT. Winning and culture seem to be helping lower the pay scale for the Bills after years going the other way.
I am all for drafting a LB early and late. Never been a fan of paying anyone at LB unless he is top 5 talent that rarely gets hurt. Possibly Edmunds in 2 years. 

16 minutes ago, billspro said:

He seems to be the heart and soul of the line. The rest of the guys play better when he is out there. This front office values that type of leadership. I hope we get him for less. I think he is going to get paid though. 

Yea I love the attitude. Just think that is hard to put a value on. $5-6m per would work for me. More than that I am struggling.

5 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

You can probably kiss Williams goodbye; if he stays healthy he’s a $14M AAV on the open market.

Mongo you’ve got a shot. He may take a similar deal to Spain with a slight bump in total and guarantees.

My guess is that they get Mongo done and re-sign Nsekhe to play RT.

Totally agree across the board.  My immediate thought on Williams is a Conklin contract, which is exactly $14M AAV.  Mongo getting a contract just North of Spain’s is my thought too.  Nsekhe would be a solid short term solution at RT as well.  He’s 35 now so we’d need to draft someone to be the future, but he could hold the fort down for a year or so. 

Beane will not let players of their impact just walk, without making an effort to come to an agreement, I don’t believe.  A bad O line makes for a mediocre QB, and that is not on the front offices list of things to have.. next season may be the year the Defense takes a bigger hit than the Offense in who gets let go... we shall see, 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I imagine for Feliciano they will look at the sort of deal they gave Spain before their falling out. 

Williams is tricky. I suspect he will be highly sought after. People forget he was a 2nd team all pro at RT before injury with Carolina. He will get paid I fear. 

We gotta keep Daryl WIlliams......they found gold there and Daryl isnt old

Mongo is a no brainer

I

Daryl Williams is long gone, of course I’d like him back. He’s gonna get a great above average contract if he stays healthy the rest of the year. I like consistency but we are to the point now where some great talent is gonna be leaving. 
I’d like Feliciano signed but gauging his market is much tougher. 
Gonna be another crazy offseason. Similar to what I said last year I’d rather trade our 1st rounder for someone proven and already signed up for 2-3 more years. Rather it’s a tackle or stud linebacker. 

I remember in the Bills Superbowl era, they would try and keep key players. But they couldn't because the market cost was  too much. They lost Bruce Smith, Thurman Thomas, Andre Reed and others because they just didn't have the salary cap.

We will see a repeat of this conundrum this off-season. Except it will be worse with a decreasing salary cap.

The only way out of the hole is judicious signing of free agents and very smart drafting.

I think Williams is gone bc like many said, he’s gonna get paid. 

I believe Milano will also be gone.

The O-Line just looks different with Feliciano. That combined with his flexibility snd Morse’s injury propensity leads me to believe he’ll get a deal slightly above what Spain got.

I believe they’ll re-sign Nsekhe to a vet minimum deal, maybe draft a guy late, and let those two, along with Bates battle it out for the RT job next year with Ford as the backup plan if it all goes to hell. 

7 hours ago, SCBills said:

No one said he is, but he’s available.  Milano is undersized and can’t stay healthy.  

We can draft a rangy linebacker in the first 3 rounds and then use Klein as intended, instead of how Milano’s constant injuries are forcing us to use him.  

In past 3 seasons, he played 44 out of 48 games.  So how exactly is that not staying healthy?

9 hours ago, NewEra said:

Sadly, I think Williams will get 13+ mill a year.  Former 2nd team all pro.

Feliciano- 3 years 18 mill.  That’s what we gave Aj Klein.

the lack of quality OTs causes someone to overpay 

Whelp good for compensation pick formulation!

10 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

In past 3 seasons, he played 44 out of 48 games.  So how exactly is that not staying healthy?

A) He’s banged up way too much, even if he plays through it

B) Contract year and he can’t get on the field 

C) No reason to believe an undersized linebacker with an injury history will suddenly be a reliable player moving forward 

• Like (+1) 1

I think Williams is 100% back. I also think our starting guards next year are Cody Ford and Ike Boettger. 

Unlikely, but I could also see them cutting Mitch Morse and re-signing Feliciano to play center. I love Mitch Morse, but you can get out of his contract without much of a hit after this season. Hate to see it happen, but I do think Feliciano has been very good there.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think Williams is 100% back. I also think our starting guards next year are Cody Ford and Ike Boettger. 

Unlikely, but I could also see them cutting Mitch Morse and re-signing Feliciano to play center. I love Mitch Morse, but you can get out of his contract without much of a hit after this season. Hate to see it happen, but I do think Feliciano has been very good there.  

I think Feliciano is a better player than Morse... could save some money too.. line plays better without him..

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

I think Feliciano is a better player than Morse... could save some money too.. line plays better without him..

I’m not smart enough to be able to analyze O-line play, thus Feliciano vs. Morse. But I agree, this will be an interesting off-season decision. 

I'd restructure contracts to keep Williams.  The Bills haven't had a good RT in decades and here they have one staring them in the face.  You have bookends in him and Dawkins, Morse at C with Bates backing-him-up/the heir-apparent, Ford at OG and you find another OG since Feliciano might be a luxury. 

Edited by Doc

11 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

I think I’d rather have Williams over Milano.. gotta protect the franchise..

That's the opposite of my guess. We'll see.

I'd put them in order of importance ... Milano, Feliciano and Williams. All of them are guys who would be fantastic to keep, but unless they do something like subtract $15 mill from the 2022 cap to add it to the 2021 cap (and I'm not sure this is at all likely), I don't see it as possible to keep all three, particularly as they will be trying to fill holes elsewhere with lower-level FAs as usual.

11 hours ago, NewEra said:

Yeah, but the one thing that might help us is that next year with the tiny amount of available cap money still left league-wide is that contracts given will be low low low. If the Bills could give him a cheap one-year deal or something ... I'm grasping at straws but I sure hope so.

RT Lane Johnson gets $18M/year

RT Trent Brown $16.5M

RT Jack Conklin $14M

RT Ja'Wuan James $12.75M

RT Lael Collins $10M

So, $13M seems possible if people still think he's playing at a top 10 level. Which he does seem to be doing. 

Again, the dearth of cap money next year might be a factor. But it only takes one team.

Generally, teams can keep and pay well roughly 10 core guys. That's plus/minus one or two but paying 12 generally strains resources and starts to put you in a bind. I think they'd try to keep all three if they had cap money next year. But they have very little.

It's an interesting dilemma. 

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Come on, read what I wrote. Notice how nobody is talking about Milano this week? Or at the very least panicking over him being out against Murray? That could all change if Klein and Edmunds look lost and a step late all game. 

IMO the reason nobody is talking about Milano this week is that they know he's coming back soon. If he was going to be gone a long time there'd be pissing and moaning and it would make total sense.

Milano and Edmurds together make this a much better defense.

Edited by Thurman#1

5 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, but the one thing that might help us is that next year with the tiny amount of available cap money still left league-wide is that contracts given will be low low low. If the Bills could give him a cheap one-year deal or something ... I'm grasping at straws but I sure hope so.

RT Lane Johnson gets $18M/year

RT Trent Brown $16.5M

RT Jack Conklin $14M

RT Ja'Wuan James $12.75M

RT Lael Collins $10M

So, $13M seems possible if people still think he's playing at a top 10 level. Which he does seem to be doing. 

Again, the dearth of cap money next year might be a factor. But it only takes one team.

The first year hit doesn’t have to be near the AAV of the contract so it’s possible to retain Williams.  A lot depends on the cap next season AND the expectations of the cap in 2022.  A timely and effective COVID vaccine would go a long way toward getting the cap back up.

I expect that there is some real work ahead for Beane.  We have $170.8M in expected cap expenditures next season with only 40 players under contract.  Unless the cap is well above the $175M agreed upon minimum there will be a bit of a blood bath.  The defensive front 7 will get hit and even a player like Morse could be released.  But there should be a lot of short term deals out there with a lot of teams in really bad cap shape so all would not be lost. 

• Like (+1) 1

Another "I'm worried" thread.  Man, just enjoy the season.   

I can't understand why people are focused on whether the front office will re-sign players in the off-season who haven't finished this season. 

My favorite "worried" thread of the past few years was when this board went apoplectic after NYJ traded 3 seconds to move up in the '18 draft.  People were demanding Buffalo do something.  NYJ of course later selected Darnold and early returns are Buffalo did better with Josh. 

Things worked out for the better then and the same will be said about the OL. 

Edited by BillsVet

8 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

The first year hit doesn’t have to be near the AAV of the contract so it’s possible to retain Williams.  A lot depends on the cap next season AND the expectations of the cap in 2022.  A timely and effective COVID vaccine would go a long way toward getting the cap back up.

I expect that there is some real work ahead for Beane.  We have $170.8M in expected cap expenditures next season with only 40 players under contract.  Unless the cap is well above the $175M agreed upon minimum there will be a bit of a blood bath.  The defensive front 7 will get hit and even a player like Morse could be released.  But there should be a lot of short term deals out there with a lot of teams in really bad cap shape so all would not be lost. 

I'm very aware of the fact that the first year hit doesn't have to be high. But kicking the can down the road has its own downsides.

You're right about the bloodbath, though. We have $3.4 M left over this year. So let's say all of that gets rolled over. Right now we've got $5.37 M available next year. With the money rolled over from this year, that would be $10M. The rookie draft class generally costs $6 to $7 M. That leaves us about $3 to $4M. 

No matter how much we kick down the road (a strategy they have so far been loath to use, though part of that was simply the place were at in the life cycle of the team) it's simply not likely that we'll keep all three of these guys. I wish it was.

It becomes a bit more likely if the NFL does something to leaven the cap problems next year. Still a problem, though.

Agreed on the COVID vaccine being huge.

Edited by Thurman#1

13 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

After last year everyone was talking about Milano vs Dawkins....it could come down to Milano vs Williams. If Klein and Edmunds can play another couple of good games together, we may get our answer on Milano. 
$10-13mil a year for a Very good RT is a much wiser investment than a banged up LB’er.

Klein’s gonna have to play more than a few good games for me to erase how he’s played up until last week. He went off for sure, but was mostly terrible up till the seahawks. No where near enough good tape to think about letting milano go.

14 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

After last year everyone was talking about Milano vs Dawkins....it could come down to Milano vs Williams. If Klein and Edmunds can play another couple of good games together, we may get our answer on Milano. 
$10-13mil a year for a Very good RT is a much wiser investment than a banged up LB’er.

All I know is Daryl has been amazing. We've waited awhile for a good RT.  Pay him....mm

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, NewEra said:

I hope his agent talks him into signing a one year deal to hit the market when the cap is higher.