A Troubling Trend

Wizard

1 hour ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

This is wrong. The Bills played to run out the clock. Guess what happened. The clock ran out. Mission accomplished.

Not really. They scored and the bills recovered and onside kick but there was still at least a minute and change left I think after the onside kick?

Bottom line is we were likely to win either way on our second to last possession. Personally I would have preferred to see a pass on 2nd 15 rather than a run. If the pass goes incomplete then just run it again on 3rd down. That is still a pretty good scenario where you would have had the clock moving two out three downs and you at least attempted to end the game that possession by trying to keep the chains moving.

1 hour ago, Wizard said:

I know we are 4-0, so this is a win worth celebrating.

However, the Bills have a troubling trend of not closing out games, playing to "not lose," and not going for the knockout blow on either defense or offense.

Again, we are a good team, but the Bill's farted  away the last 7 minutes with no urgency or commitment to go for the juggler.

Should have won 37-16 and played too the whistle.

Me: *Takes a sip of coffee* The poo in my bum:

It is always interesting when someone makes a rationale take and observation about the pattern of the Bill's struggling closing out games and playing too conservative. Getting better in this area is what puts us into the upper-tier. Great teams are closers. 

We are a solid team. Happy like all to be

4-0. The goal this year is to win the division, win a playoff game, and be competitive against the best in the league to become title contenders over the next 2-5 years with this group.

Let's just remain positive and also share thoughts about our shared passion.

1 hour ago, Wizard said:

However, the Bills have a troubling trend of not closing out games, playing to "not lose," and not going for the knockout blow on either defense or offense.

Again, we are a good team, but the Bill's farted  away the last 7 minutes with no urgency or commitment to go for the juggler.

Really how do you come to that conclusion?  I could see if you argued 33 points for the Bills and should have had another field goal on the one drive if JA doesn't take the dumb sack.  But anything else points either for us or against them is just nothing but a pure guess.

In the last 7 minutes they had the one drive of 3 straight running plays trying to take time off the clock which it did. Could they have thrown one short pass in there that has a high percentage of completion, yeah probably, but other than maybe changing one play wouldn't say there was anything they did that was playing not to lose.

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

It’s league wide though. Goes hand in hand with bad defense. 
Browns were killing Dallas today. Pressure non stop.Until the 4th quarter.  Yet Dallas creeped back in. 

It’s a trend for a lot of teams. This season is not normal. Leave the virus stuff out of it. 
Defenses are off their games, refs are allowing more stuff to be uncalled, seems to be less emphasis on run games across the league, it’s just a weird start. 

And I really think no fans are killing the defensive also the energy they get plus the noise is bigger then we thought. Plays hand in hand. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

But is Stefon Diggs worth those picks?...🤔 i guess we’ll never know.

He seems to punt the ball well on those TD celebrations, maybe we can put him to use on special teams. 🧐

Edited by NobesBLO13
  • Haha (+1) 1

I agree with the OP -  the problem with the defense is real and concerning.  The D hasn't cost a game yet but it will if McD and Frazier don't figure something out.    The decline is hard to understand but I see at least of four things at play.

*  Some of the players we lost (e.g. Lawson) were more valuable than we/I might have given them credit for.  

*  We remained pretty healthy last year.  This season, our opponents have been targeting the backups who are pressed into duty.  

*  The productivity of our offense forces our opponents to play more aggressively when they're on offense.

*  Our D was great the last couple seasons not so much because we had athletically elite playmakers.  Instead, we played extremely well as a team.  Our players were smart, well-coached and rarely missed their assignments.  This year - without preseason or a normal offseason - our D just isn't executing as well.

3 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Allen had a great game and I am absolutely over the moon about how he is throwing the ball this season and the great catches from the receivers... 

But...

You cant take that sack when they were on the verge of going up three scores and icing the game..

They got away with it today... wouldnt want to see them do it too often though..

That play should’ve been a draw, kick the fg and go up 3 scores (if Bass makes it).

A bit over aggressive in the play calling that series, but I’m not going to fault them for it. I’d rather see them be over aggressive at times and go for that juggler rather than play not to lose.  

Edited by Dr.Mantis_Toboggan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Not really. They scored and the bills recovered and onside kick but there was still at least a minute and change left I think after the onside kick?

Bottom line is we were likely to win either way on our second to last possession. Personally I would have preferred to see a pass on 2nd 15 rather than a run. If the pass goes incomplete then just run it again on 3rd down. That is still a pretty good scenario where you would have had the clock moving two out three downs and you at least attempted to end the game that possession by trying to keep the chains moving.

No. If you pass, but dont get the completions and the first, the Raiders get the ball back without having to win an onside kick. 

6 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

You don't beat the Chiefs or Bellicheck teams, or the 2019 Texans this way.

Yes, you do. You have no idea what you are talking about.

Well coaches teams are no more likely to recover on an onside kick.

Edited by JoshAllenHasBigHands

Sure looked like they were aggressively trying to put the Pirates away when Josh dropped back and rolled out on third down looking to go deep instead of handing it off running forward for 2 yds and trying a Bassmaster field goal yo go up by 17 ;)

Edited by JMF2006

10 hours ago, mannc said:

I would argue that going for the knockout blow today actually let the Raiders back in the game.  

Yup.

Don't give the ball to Josh on that play to get sacked out of field goal range. Give it to the RB and the game is over.

7 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

You don't beat the Chiefs or Bellicheck teams, or the 2019 Texans this way.

Right, it's much better if you get ahead of Belichick teams and stay aggressive. Ask the Falcons. They totally stayed aggressive. That was a Super Bowl to remember. I'm sure the Falcs are thrilled looking back that they didn't start running, churning the clock and keeping the ball away from the Pats.

And if you look at two out of KC's last four losses last year, the Colts beat them while scoring 19 - 13 and running the crap out of the ball the last three drives, and GB won by getting the ball back ahead by seven with five minutes left and ran the ball down their throat the last drive, eleven plays and only one was a pass.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Wizard said:

do you think that maybe the opponent has something to do with this?

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

It’s league wide though. Goes hand in hand with bad defense. 
Browns were killing Dallas today. Pressure non stop.Until the 4th quarter.  Yet Dallas creeped back in. 

It’s a trend for a lot of teams. This season is not normal. Leave the virus stuff out of it. 
Defenses are off their games, refs are allowing more stuff to be uncalled, seems to be less emphasis on run games across the league, it’s just a weird start. 

Yet, Cleveland had over 300 yards rushing.  You’d think they would’ve dominated the time of possession and Dallas rarely have the ball.

Don’t see that many team rushing totals like that these days.

OBJ did  score on a 50 yard run to quickly up the total, but I don’t know what drives they had for their other scores.

Still Prescott had enough time for 58 pass attempts with only one 40+ yard scoring pass.

10 hours ago, Wizard said:

if you don’t win by 80 it doesn’t count 🥴🥴

3 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

No. If you pass, but dont get the completions and the first, the Raiders get the ball back without having to win an onside kick. 

Yes, you do. You have no idea what you are talking about.

Well coaches teams are no more likely to recover on an onside kick.

Still not sure about that. They scored with 1:29 left on the clock. So basically just add 40 seconds.  That is still onside kick territory as it is also likely Raiders would have still burned all their timeouts on their final TD drive. Say they do kick off, then you are looking at a situation where they get the ball back with less than 30 seconds down a TD should the Bills go 3 and out again and punt.

Really, you probably couldn't go wrong either way. Bills would have had to royal screw things up to not win the game in the final 5 minutes.

I thought the Bills were aggressive yesterday. Up 23-16 and Allen hits that long pass to Diggs which sets up the 30-16 score in the 4th. It would be nice to win 35-7 every week but this league is very competitive with the exception of the Jets. Look at Seattle yesterday. They had their hands full beating the Dolphins and they are considered one of the favorites to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl.

14 hours ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

I didn't realize the Raiders had a juggler on their team......did he just get promoted from the PS ?

I am troubled by your post .....

I totally understand the mentality of "going for the juggler". It's tough for a defender to punch the ball out of a rb or wr who secures the ball tightly. A juggler, on the other hand, is just flaunting that ball loosely in the air as if to say, "come and get it". 

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/4/2020 at 5:51 PM, NickelCity said:

We're all piling on the OP (we did win and run out the clock), but there is an element of shakiness to our game, esp. on D. 

As mentioned above it doesn't seem to be unique to us, we're 4-0, and Josh Allen is the One. 

This - there is an element of dead horse being beaten, but our 3rd and 4th quarter execution has left us all at the edge of our seats. Either the defense is blowing leads, or the offense is stalling. I felt like the Raiders game our offense pressed a bit, but it still was probably the most complete complimentary game the offense and defense has played this year.

I would have liked to have had that field goal to give us that 3 score lead and think that could have forced the Raiders offense to fold up a bit faster, and would have been easier on my heart, but a win is a win.

Edited by WideNine

17 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Don't give the ball to Josh on that play to get sacked out of field goal range. Give it to the RB and the game is over.

Eh I get it but I'm never going to fault Brian Daboll for being aggressive, not with this QB and this receiving corps. It's not like Bass is an automatic kicker so we should never be playing for 3 points. I don't want him calling games scared. In that situation you trust Allen to throw the ball away if nothing's there and he just made a dumb decision. No big deal.

I mean you could say throwing 30 yards to the end zone on 3rd and 1 or running an end around to McKenzie on 4th and 1 are "too aggressive" but those plays won us the game. Same with the last TD to Brown against the Dolphins on 3rd and 9. I love that we are keeping our foot on the gas. They learned their lesson after Houston.

Edited by HappyDays

On 10/4/2020 at 5:59 PM, Victory Formation said:

Defense sucks.. can’t stop a nosebleed.. did better at the end but we would be 0-4 without Allen..

You can't ignore it. Newsflash, we're no longer a top 5 defense like last year.

Points allowed  17th

Passing yards.   27th

Yikes 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

Bills fans now upset that we don’t win by 20 every week. What a world. 

It is understandable considering the pace the offense scores at in the 1st half of games and the pace in the 2nd, coupled with a defense that has been pretty leaky this year protecting leads. If the defense comes together and plays a bit more consistent in games the nerve-racking pucker-factor of these games will subside a bit when the offense has a harder time moving the ball in the 2nd half.

I thought our defense did a much better job against the run that game, which also involved Edmunds staying in the box and biting on some play action which opened up some of the field behind him. The Raiders did a good job of keeping themselves in 3rd and manageable for most of the game, but our defense made plays when they needed them and crucially forced some turnovers and had 4th down stops.

Of course I am happy we won, just always thinking about ways the team can be better. I remember a year where I felt the Patriots won by the skin of their teeth in just about every game they played, and they had a heck of a run. I am fine if this team takes it a game at a time and finds a way to win each week.

Edited by WideNine
bad awful engrish and dobble negitives

On 10/4/2020 at 8:43 PM, Wizard said:

The team is not perfect, but let's look at what happened after they stopped the Raiders from taking a lead, settling for a field goal to make it 17-16. Two great drives for TDs and a strip sack and Norman's strip and recovery. They tried to kill clock and gave up a back door score but made them take enough time to need an onside kick recovery, which is a very tall order with the rule changes. Far from farting away the last 7 minutes. Enjoy the ride.