Is Stidham any good?

1 hour ago, Richard Noggin said:

Criticizing Brady and Belichick for repeated, documented cheating is NOT some fringe perspective. It is our evidence-based reality. Doesn't make us obsessed or deranged to point that out. I see no reason for a sports fan (or anyone, really) of any allegiance to whitewash history. 

Using names like “Tommy Boy” and “Belicheat” and “Cheatriots” do not whitewash history and just show contempt....the lingering name calling just seems amateurish to me, over the top and in my opinion diminishes any wrong doing.  

Even more awkward, some Bills fans (who have absolutely nothing to do with the game on the field) are angrier than the actual Bills players who may have been adversely affected by any so called cheating.  Very strange.

It’s just football ....I wonder if those individuals who get so upset about football/Patriots (using the name calling with genuine hate and contempt) actually get just as upset when for example their local school district (or any other form of local govt) is underperforming?  Now that’s something worth being truly concerned about. 

Oh, and let me add more fuel to the fire ..... the Patriots weren’t cheating, they were just “FINDING A WAY”

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillsNutHawaii said:

Oh, and let me add more fuel to the fire ..... the Patriots weren’t cheating, they were just “FINDING A WAY

I see what you did there.

However, in McDermott's new 2020 mantra, "Find a way," the "within established ethical/legal boundaries" is silent. 

5 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

I see what you did there.

However, in McDermott's new 2020 mantra, "Find a way," the "within established ethical/legal boundaries" is silent. 

You’re assuming ethics are part of the mantra.... and even if you’re right that ethics are part of the HC’s mantra, the players will ultimately play within the rules or not..... it has to trickle down ..... and I’ll add even more fuel now.... I don’t think the Patriots cheated, they pushed the limits but didn’t cheat (that’s my personal assessment) and if Bills fans are going to point fingers at the Patriots, then we need to revisit our own history- Fred Smerlas, Conrad Dobler, and others also pushed the limits and then some.

12 hours ago, CapeBreton said:

I expect them to run the ball a lot next year, that was the plan the last two seasons too. 

Yeah looks like he’s going back to his Cleveland game plan when he a had an over the hill QB in Kosar and a draft bust ( at that time) in Testaverde 

3 minutes ago, BillsNutHawaii said:

You’re assuming ethics are part of the mantra.... and even if you’re right that ethics are part of the HC’s mantra, the players will ultimately play within the rules or not..... it has to trickle down ..... and I’ll add even more fuel now.... I don’t think the Patriots cheated, they pushed the limits but didn’t cheat (that’s my personal assessment) and if Bills fans are going to point fingers at the Patriots, then we need to revisit our own history- Fred Smerlas, Conrad Dobler, and others also pushed the limits and then some.

They cheated. It's been documented, punished, and covered-up. That's the established science here. Like global warming. It's just a fact. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

They cheated. It's been documented, punished, and covered-up. That's the established science here. Like global warming. It's just a fact. 

And the schools in your area also seem to be cheating too.  Don’t ask me where I get my proof ... it may hurt someone’s feelings.

On another note, Kim Jung Un has also said the American student he held captive a few years ago was a spy and he also had proof (about as much as the NFL had) with due process in his court.  Does that make KJU right ?

Global warming (u bought it up - not me ).... beware, scientists have about as much bias as football fans ... maybe more ..... I studied science and scientists have about as much integrity as your local city prosecutor (it’s all about what they want to find) btw - Donald trump told me there is no such thing global warming ... just kidding (maybe).... ok I added that last part to incite you (sorry).

I am bored at work and saw the thread here about that reporter in Boston proclaiming the Pats would still win the division, the Jets, Bills, and Phins were all inept bla bla bla.  It compelled me to give Stidham a deeper look, so I watch all of his preseason work from 2019....these are my thoughts.

****MODS**** if this is deemed to not add anything of value here etc.....feel free to discard etc.....again...I'm bored at work....I did some office chair film review.

Here are my thoughts.

Right away you notice that Stidham is very good at climbing the pocket...this is one of Tom Bradys hallmarks, and Stidham is feerless in traffic, as he steps straight forward into the middle of relatively small pockets, keeping his eyes downfield and delivering alot of good passes. It's quite impressive. Of note....stidham, when climbing, usually does throw the ball, but when he feels the heat, this is also BY FAR his prefferred escape route....running straight ahead. in all the games he played, each opponent threw a middle blitz right at him, and all 3 of those times he just crumples to the ground.....or has no chance to escape. He's helpless against a free rusher coming up the middle right at him.

Stidham, when taking snaps from the gun, does go through his progressions fairly well, but he did tend to hold the ball for a while. In the games I watched, he was mostly playing scrubs....some of the better pass rushers in the leauge are going to get to this guy when he doens't make up his mind quickly to throw.

When stidham is flushed and tries to throw, he doesn't have the arm to get mustard on his passes....especially rolling to his left....throwing on the move to his left, he throws a VERY weak ball, and it isn't much better rolling right. He doesn't have the speed to create enough space to stop and reset once he starts to roll...so getting him moving out of hte pocket is advantage defense.

It's also very apparent in every game, ANYTIME Stidham ran play action, once he turns back around after the fake handoff, he is QUICK to throw...he already has in mind where the open man should be and often is correct and wastes no time at all getting the ball out...often to an open target. Its a sharp contrast watching how quick stidham gets the ball out on play action vs just taking a shotgun snap and standing around scanning the field and taking his time.

Given time in the pocket...or even when he is compelled to climb the pocket and throw, stidham was good at recognizing man coverage on the outside and throwing to that target. He rarely chose outside targets who were doubled up. He did go to some tightly covered targets in the middle of the field but had success on alot of that as he does well stepping into those throws as he is climbing up in the pocket and is able to get enough zip on the ball to get it through those tight windows.

In general Stidham had good pocket pressence and was good about feeling the pressure coming....but he lacks the athleticsm to do much about it once the rush hits home...even when he makes the effort to escape or sidestep, he's slow....and throwing under durress reveals the weakness of his arm when he can't step into the throw and drive the ball.

Only in the FINAL preseason game did i note ONE anticipation throw....a 7 yard out that he began the windup before the target made the cut. It was the only one I saw....could be due to playing with the scrubs...

Not the most graceful screen thrower...seems rushed and antsy trying to execute those.

Overall....I can see why Belichick might feel good enough to give this kid a real chance in 2020....I would want to see more work on timing routes with the 1's before I'd feel real good about this kid, but he seems capable and well suited to run the Patriot short passing game they prefer along with his fast execution of playaction...and they might just have something viable there.

You run some double tights and pound the rock setting up playaction.....I can see it working out. Need to see A LOT more in the timing/anticipation area.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Guy is so overrated. He was crap in college. Every year his completion percentage dropped considerably. His yard an attempt dropped. He never had more than 18 TDs passing. His average passing yards a game dropped considerably from sophmore to junior. He has always just been potential and has gotten worse every single year.  Didnt like him coming out of college and still dont. If i was Patriots i would prefer Fromm over Stidham. 

Oh and Brady  backups almost always fail.  Mallett, Hoyer, Cassell, Brissett... list goes on and on. Patriots are famous for trading crappy QBs for draft picks just because teams think they are good cause they learned from Brady. Only QB with any success was Jimmy G. And honestly if that defense and running game wasnt so good im not sure he would have success either.

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

Bills fans in March - “the division is ours, Brady is gone!”

Bills fans in May - “man, anyone watched this Jarrett Stidham guy before??”

The fear is palpable.

Fear.  LOL!

Early in Brady’s career he was basically a game manager playing with a great defense and running game. I think the question it boils down to is: Is that enough to win Super Bowls in today’s NFL? They have pretty much transformed back into that team from 2001-2003.

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, BillsMafia13 said:

This has me terrified he’s gonna trade for Dak or Stafford or rodgers or something. I know the cap doesn’t help but I don’t like it 

They can’t afford them.  And I doubt Belicheat wants to pay Dak $40M/year. 

1 hour ago, Troll Toll said:

Early in Brady’s career he was basically a game manager playing with a great defense and running game. I think the question it boils down to is: Is that enough to win Super Bowls in today’s NFL? They have pretty much transformed back into that team from 2001-2003.

Agree, although seems like Hoyer will start the year. Either way looks like a lot of running the ball for them. Their qb situation reminds me of Kolb and ej, anyone with boots on the ground able to lay some strategic mats when training camp starts?

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BillsNutHawaii said:

And the schools in your area also seem to be cheating too.  Don’t ask me where I get my proof ... it may hurt someone’s feelings.

On another note, Kim Jung Un has also said the American student he held captive a few years ago was a spy and he also had proof (about as much as the NFL had) with due process in his court.  Does that make KJU right ?

Global warming (u bought it up - not me ).... beware, scientists have about as much bias as football fans ... maybe more ..... I studied science and scientists have about as much integrity as your local city prosecutor (it’s all about what they want to find) btw - Donald trump told me there is no such thing global warming ... just kidding (maybe).... ok I added that last part to incite you (sorry).

I didn't just study science, I am a scientist.  I have worked for small biotechs and am currently in academia at age 50.  My past companies employed a range of business people.

I would trust the integrity of a scientist well before I would trust the integrity of many lawyers and your average businessperson.

Any scientist that wants to get rich gets out of basic science.  We care about trying to better humankind in our own way.

But we are also fallible humans, so skepticism is healthy and most good scientists are good skeptics also.

Advocating scientists are not good scientists.  Our best advocacy is published results.

• Like (+1) 1

what has Stidham shown at any point that should make people think this highly of him? Was it his underwhelming career at Auburn? He was a late round pick for a reason. The Bills won’t take him lightly, but let’s not anoint him the next Brady yet

Why are there 2 threads on this guy?

1- I doubt the Pats end hi actually starting this guy. It’s only May and there is no camp in sight. I bet they still add a vet QB to start. 

2- Whoever it is, will not be Tom Brady. It won’t be literally the greatest QB in NFL history. We were right there with those guys last season. We got better and they got worse. I’m not worried about Stidham regardless. We finally have Brady gone. I’m not guna start worrying about the next guy

Stidham doesn't suck.  Kid is smart.  And not a statue.  You don't start at Auburn for Gus Malzahn for very long if you suck.  Remains to be seen what he can do in the pros.  Hoyer isn't starting.  He is terrible.  Should not be on an NFL roster.  

Bills offense has been lousy against the Pats for so long.  Probably since Fitzie's big day in 2011 when we won on the last second FG.  Brady didn't play offense.  Josh and the gameplan has to be better when we play the Pats regardless of who they have at QB.  

• Like (+1) 2

The offense was not that good with the Goat last year.  Watching a mid rd pick getting his first chance to start will be laughable.  Fumbles, picks, poor sacks.  All the things NE hasnt had to deal with from a Qb in 20 years.  They will be lucky to win 7 games.  Thats the truth.  The athletism NE had at LB is gone. The defense is slightly not as good.  The offense is significantly worse.

Edited by Mat68

3 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Does zero know that zero has gone full third person?

Gugny noticed that.

Stidham's lifetime NFL stats are 2/4, 14 yards and an INT.

Yep ... there's no doubt this kid should be feared based on this body of work.

• Like (+1) 1

He's following the GOAT - and he ain't Young or Rodgers.

The pressure will be too much, no matter what his skills. That fanbase has won & seen their QB play mistake-free, clutch football for way too long.  

I can hear the boos already. And there probably won't even be crowds.

The conversation around Stidham reminds me of the game we had against the Patriots in 2016 when both Brady and Garrappolo were injured. So a rookie Jacoby Brissett was forced to start. I distinctly remember the same type of anxiety from Bills fans before the game, somehow Belichick was going to turn Brissett into a star... Well, we ended up shutting them out, even with Rex Ryan's awful defensive scheme, and we won 16-0. Brissett couldn't get anything going.

The Patriots ended up going 13-1 in the rest of their games that year and won the Super Bowl. But with an inexperienced mediocre QB thrust into a starting role they couldn't score a single point against a bad defense. This year will be the same except the supporting cast and offensive line is much worse than what they had in 2016. Stidham doesn't worry me one bit.

Edited by HappyDays

5 hours ago, CSBill said:

I think Cam Newton ends up in NE some time before September.

I see your logic, but here's my problem:  for years (with Brady) the NE offense was based on quick reads and getting the ball out on seams and curls and other short-to-intermediate stuff, with just the occasional long pass.  It also exploited mismatches at TE with Gronk, which didn't happen in '19 so the NE offense scratched around for points more than it was used to while its D (which has lost some people from '19) controlled the game.  I don't know if Cam can play that kind of O, especially without a normal offseason.  And it may be even worse if they redesign the O to fit him without a normal offseason.

Now I'll just stand back while other people tell me how wrong I am.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Gugny noticed that.

Stidham's lifetime NFL stats are 2/4, 14 yards and an INT.

Yep ... there's no doubt this kid should be feared based on this body of work.

When there is minimal body of work bordering on almost no body of work then it is unfair to judge a young player on his body of work. New England and BB had him on the roster last year. Mostly based on practice they should have an inkling on what he is capable of. I don't know if he is going to develop into a capable franchise qb. However, what is apparent is that the organization made no effort in the draft or made a significant qb acquisition other than bringing in the pedestrian veteran, Brian Hoyer,  when there were more prominent qbs available such as Dalton, Winston and Newsome. My point is that I wouldn't be making any negative assumptions on him because he hasn't played. 

Well, it appears that Jake Fromm is considered better by some, and he is our BU, so there is that. 

11 hours ago, BillsNutHawaii said:

Using names like “Tommy Boy” and “Belicheat” and “Cheatriots” do not whitewash history and just show contempt....the lingering name calling just seems amateurish to me, over the top and in my opinion diminishes any wrong doing.  

Even more awkward, some Bills fans (who have absolutely nothing to do with the game on the field) are angrier than the actual Bills players who may have been adversely affected by any so called cheating.  Very strange.

It’s just football ....I wonder if those individuals who get so upset about football/Patriots (using the name calling with genuine hate and contempt) actually get just as upset when for example their local school district (or any other form of local govt) is underperforming?  Now that’s something worth being truly concerned about. 

Oh, and let me add more fuel to the fire ..... the Patriots weren’t cheating, they were just “FINDING A WAY”

So you condone what is considered cheating and poor sportsmanship  by the NFL itself, what does that say about you? Asking for a friend... oh, and I got a shovel You can have...

Go Bills!!!

40 minutes ago, Ennjay said:

I see your logic, but here's my problem:  for years (with Brady) the NE offense was based on quick reads and getting the ball out on seams and curls and other short-to-intermediate stuff, with just the occasional long pass.  It also exploited mismatches at TE with Gronk, which didn't happen in '19 so the NE offense scratched around for points more than it was used to while its D (which has lost some people from '19) controlled the game.  I don't know if Cam can play that kind of O, especially without a normal offseason.  And it may be even worse if they redesign the O to fit him without a normal offseason.

Now I'll just stand back while other people tell me how wrong I am.

Your not going to be more successfull without the GOAT and top 2 slot recievers in their primes.  Edelman is near the end.  The best case of action is get an athletic big arm qb who can get chunk plays out of PA.  Take advantage of a running game and good defense.  The days of NE having a ball control passing attack are over.  Brady played with an efficentcy rarley seen from the position.  Your not finding that out of thin air. 

The genius of Bill would be greatly diminished if they dont change their offense without Brady.  Brady played in the offnse for 20 years.  Run the ball, get some chunk passing plays off of it.  Play good defense and win low scoring games.