Bills trade for Diggs - jw no discussions on a restructure

1 minute ago, njbuff said:

He carried the defense in 1991 when Bruce Smith was on the mend.

That 1991 D did give up a lot of yards and some points, but Bennett spear-headed a defense that was a turnover machine, paired with an all time great O.

i agree--but he still didnt become what he could have been

15 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

The idea of front-loading contracts is simple. You pay a player for his good years and as the contract goes on, the salary decreases. The concept is not meant to save anyone money and it does decrease short term payroll flexibility, but can benefit a team in the latter years of a deal.

Is that how it works Harry? Maybe you can elaborate more for the rest of us simple Bills fans.

That’s a common myth. First, you have to know what’s being front loaded.  Cash or cap.  The main benefit of from loading cash (as if usually the case with bigger contracts) is that it is attractive to players.  It can help a team attract a free agent or save a few dollars overall on a new contract.  The downside is that it makes players difficult cut early in their deals because of the large amount of dead cap. 

Front loading cap dollars is almost always unwise and it’s very rare.  There’s no real upside to it because of carryover.  (Cap carryover is where leftover cap space is added to the following season’s cap limit.)  It would just take away flexibility.

Spreading a signing bonus’ cap hit over several seasons also creates a bit of a discount in terms of cap allocation since the cap goes up every season and the nominal dollar amounts are spread evenly over the contract.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, DJB said:

All of his 2019 targets. Some nasty ankle breakers. Creates lots of separation on his routes. 

That was on one of the PFF podcasts.  The Bills have 3 WRs who excel in separating.  In fact they rated Diggs as the best in the NFL in that regard.  They note that the benefits are not only bigger throwing windows for Allen, but also that it should give him the best possible view of play developing down field. ?

• Like (+1) 1

Brown got seperation due to his speed on routes coming back to the line of scrimage.  I feel like this is why Allen had struggle facing the blitz for parts of last year. 

If a defender got into Beasley he doesnt have the foot speed to get away.  The opposite seemed to happen with brown.  If you played off he didnt run percise enough routes to gain seperation on 3 step drops. 

Diggs taks pressure off Brown and Beasley.  He also, gives Allen a go to vs Blitz.  Diggs route running pair perfectly with Allens arm and quick release.  Imo he negates the biggest weakness the offense had last year.   

• Like (+1) 3

23 hours ago, njbuff said:

Everyone was talking up Eric Dickerson to the Colts and the Rams getting all those draft picks, but, EASILY, the most impactful part of that entire trade was Bennett's on the Bills and it isn't even close.

Man was I jacked, since I had tickets to the Denver game. IIRC Biscuit didn't enter the game till the second quarter. His first snap as a Bill he made Elway throw it away. His second snap, was a sack. His third he was double-teamed. And that's with a guy named Bruce Smith still needing to be accounted for. It could/should have been a blowout with either/both blocked punts recovered in end zone instead of going through for a safety.

They might have gotten a guy to take the offense to another level, but an edge guy at Bennett's rookie level would put this team over the top.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

Man was I jacked, since I had tickets to the Denver game. IIRC Biscuit didn't enter the game till the second quarter. His first snap as a Bill he made Elway throw it away. His second snap, was a sack. His third he was double-teamed. And that's with a guy named Bruce Smith still needing to be accounted for. It could/should have been a blowout with either/both blocked punts recovered in end zone instead of going through for a safety.

They might have gotten a guy to take the offense to another level, but an edge guy at Bennett's rookie level would put this team over the top.

Bennett was my second favorite SB era player behind Thurman.

If Bennett was able to hold the point of attack better than he did on a consistent basis, the Bills might have won a couple of SB championships.

NFC teams ran right at Bennett and Wright. It KILLED them in the SB's.

2 hours ago, njbuff said:

Bennett was my second favorite SB era player behind Thurman.

If Bennett was able to hold the point of attack better than he did on a consistent basis, the Bills might have won a couple of SB championships.

NFC teams ran right at Bennett and Wright. It KILLED them in the SB's.

Yeah man, and Jeff Wright. An undersized NT in a 3-4 defense. If we would have had a Ted Washington anchoring that D-line we would have won at least the first one. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

If you could somehow trade back into the 1st to get Ruggs would you? I’m guessing we would have to trade up to 16

Absolutely not. I love Ruggs but I'm not expending high future draft capital for what would amount to a luxury at this point. Diggs is the 'alpha' WR now, is locked up for four years, and there already plenty of mouths to feed.

23 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

If you could somehow trade back into the 1st to get Ruggs would you? I’m guessing we would have to trade up to 16

You'd lose out on him at 16.  At best you'd wait for the draft to unfold and assess the WR needs of teams and then make a deal.  But then you'd be dealing from a position of weakness and have to give up more.  Not that you can get to even 15 with all of this year's and next year's picks.

18 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

Absolutely not. I love Ruggs but I'm not expending high future draft capital for what would amount to a luxury at this point. Diggs is the 'alpha' WR now, is locked up for four years, and there already plenty of mouths to feed.

I agree, before we made the trade for Diggs I was watching so much tape on the top 10 WR’s. I came away from it wanting Ruggs more than any college WR that I have ever watched. It’s definitely a pipe dream but I absolutely love Ruggs. 

DiGGs

RuGGs

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

That was on one of the PFF podcasts.  The Bills have 3 WRs who excel in separating.  In fact they rated Diggs as the best in the NFL in that regard.  They note that the benefits are not only bigger throwing windows for Allen, but also that it should give him the best possible view of play developing down field. ?

Nice. I'm really not too keen on the idea of continuing to throw big assets at WR. It's now a position of strength. Would be ideal to find a young guy, but not a necessity at the moment. Add another back, an edge, maybe something at OL; draft BPA.

The team is setup to compete with anyone. At this point, we're going to sink or swim with Josh Allen.

• Like (+1) 1

HOW THE DIGGS DEAL HAPPENED SO FAST

I know we covered it

earlier in the week, but the trade of Stefon Diggs from Minnesota to Buffalo continues to fascinate me. So here’s some more on the deal that sent Diggs to the Bills, packaged with a seventh-round pick, for first-, fifth- and sixth-rounders in this year’s draft, and a fourth-round pick in 2021.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/03/23/tampa-bay-buccaneers-scout-tom-brady-diggs-hopkins-trades

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

No.  I don't think they should play with any more assets from the 2021 draft and to trade into the first round where it would be necessary to get to (14-17) would be prohibitive.  Also, who does he play over?  Brown?  Beasley?  If Beane felt that strongly about Ruggs he wouldn't have traded for Diggs.  Bills should draft a guy they can develop slowly, but can contribute on Special Teams too: Claypool, Pittman come to mind.

Edited by purple haze
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Really good read that. Not just on the Diggs deal but on the reality of the situation with DHop in Houston and on the way the Buccs arrived at the decision to sign Tom Brady. 

• Like (+1) 1

Breer’s article states that Hopkins is insisting on more money being added to his existing deal (NOT an extension), and that he doesn’t practice during the week.  Based on all of that (which Gaine certainly would be privy to), I can understand why the Texans’ compensation wasn’t higher and why the Bills didn’t pounce.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

Some interesting insight on why the Hopkins return was so low as well.

yeah thought this was interesting 

There was friction with Hopkins inside the organization, and really it had everything to do with Monday-to-Saturday. On Sundays, he was exemplary. The rest of the week, his practice habits (he didn’t practice much at all) became a problem, and because he was such a big star he had the ability to carry teammates in the wrong direction—guys who might not be able to turn it on come game day as easily as he could.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/03/23/report-stefon-diggs-tweet-got-ball-rolling-on-trade/?partner=Yahoo

When Stefon Diggs tweeted “it’s time for a new beginning” and followed it up with another tweet saying “something’s going to happen” last Monday, it was seen by some as a sign that Diggs knew a trade was about to go down.

According to a report from Albert Breer of SI.com, however, it was actually the other way around. Breer reports that Diggs’ first tweet led to teams calling the Vikings to see about a deal for the wideout.

24 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Breer’s article states that Hopkins is insisting on more money being added to his existing deal (NOT an extension), and that he doesn’t practice during the week.  Based on all of that (which Gaine certainly would be privy to), I can understand why the Texans’ compensation wasn’t higher and why the Bills didn’t pounce.

Not practicing during the week?  WTF? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

They also brought up a good point which is the demand for new money drove his compensation down, a la AB last year, with the Steelers getting just a 3rd and 5th rounder for him.

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 2:12 PM, Motorin' said:

Yeah man, and Jeff Wright. An undersized NT in a 3-4 defense. If we would have had a Ted Washington anchoring that D-line we would have won at least the first one. 

All we needed to do win the first SB was to hand the ball the Thurman.  They played a 3-2 defense with extra DB's in a zone to take away deep balls and the crossing routes.

We ran all over them but it was just too late … our offensive coaches did not call a good game at all.   It was easy to run out of the K-gun and we could have forced the Giants go back to their 3-4 which would of then opened up the passing lanes.  

We gave up 20 points.  Our offense was never on the field and our defense was tired and worn.  That was a contributor to all the missed tackles in the 3rd and 4th quarter. 

Blaming Jeff Wright is revisionist history and incorrect.  We played 90% of the game exactly they way they wanted us to.  We had the better team but Parcells and Bellichek completely outcoached our staff.  That is why we lost.

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1