Bills trade for Diggs - jw no discussions on a restructure

4 hours ago, Nelius said:

Because he was unhappy and the relationship frayed and got to the point where it couldn't really be saved. You're right, time will tell, but he's truly just a football player with no off-the-field nonsense who doesn't otherwise display diva tendencies. If he's trashing Josh on Twitter a year from now, then it's a pattern that might fit the head case designation, but at this point I just think he's a guy who needs a fresh start.

I hope so. I hope I'm wrong about the guy. The Antonio Brown thing is still pretty fresh in my mind.

Diggs is proven, young, and at a bargain rate compared to some of these other WR's around the league. He, Brown, and Beasley are a formidable trio of WR's for Allen. Draft picks are draft picks and soemone is always gonna find a reason to be pissed. Not every organization is run by Bill O'Brien so you can't expect other teams to do dumb crap like him. We got our guy, we got a #1, he's young, he's an excellent route runner, and cheap compared to the going rates at this point. Bills fans should be happy right now. 

• Like (+1) 3

The biggest difference for the people complaining about the Diggs and Hopkins compensation comparison is that Hopkins is going to get a new deal probably in the 21-23 million dollar AAV. The Bills gave up a 1st rounder because Diggs will essentially take up half of that allowing for the Bills to spread out their cap to other positions.

Much harder on the salary cap when you’d be paying Tre White 18-20 a year, Josh Allen 30-40 a year, and D’Andre Hopkins 20 plus. 

With a cap of 200 million, you’d be paying those 3 almost 80 million dollars or roughly 40-45% of your cap and you still need to give Dawkins and Edmunds big money in the near future 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bronxbomber21 said:

Love Diggs but could've payed  less for Hopkins 

We also didn't have a David Johnson to offer which was obviously important to O'Brien for some reason.  It's a fair trade that makes sense for both teams for where they are as a franchise.  Spielman and Beane should get credit for having the guts to pull the trigger.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I am absolutely fine with this trade. We wanted to use that 1st round pick to find a top end receiver and the draft wasn't quite lining up that way in terms of likely value at that spot. 

Diggs is proven, he is 26 and in his prime and he has a contract which frankly is a bargain the next 4 years. 

What is not to like? 

Oh and the people saying "Diggs is like John Brown" really, really, really need to watch some film of Stefon Diggs. 

Agreed.  In terms of playing style and overall ability, the closest comparison to Diggs is Antonio Brown.  VERY similar players.  And Diggs still seems to be improving.  And he’s not a psychopath.

Hopkins is one of my favorite non-Bills but he appeared to lose a step last year.  I would’ve loved to have him but I have no idea if that was even an option.  Diggs may be a better fit for what they’re looking for, in terms of his age, contract and explosiveness.

Beane was in a situation where he could’ve hoped to trade up for the top three (Lamb, Jeudy or Ruggs), which probably would’ve been even more expensive, and then, if he’s even able to pull that off, hope that a rookie WR can acclimate to the offense in a virus-shortened offseason.

This was far less risk.  I do think he’ll want a new deal soon, but not necessarily right away.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Like (+1) 8

8 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Agreed.  In terms of playing style and overall ability, the closest comparison to Diggs is Antonio Brown.  VERY similar players.  And Diggs still seems to be improving.  And he’s not a psychopath.

Hopkins is one of my favorite non-Bills but he appeared to lose a step last year.  I would’ve loved to have him but I have no idea if that was even an option.  Diggs may be a better fit for what they’re looking for, in terms of his age, contract and explosiveness.

Beane was in a situation where he could’ve hoped to trade up for the top three (Lamb, Jeudy or Ruggs), which probably would’ve been even more expensive, and then, if he’s even able to pull that off, hope that a rookie WR can acclimate to the offense in a virus-shortened offseason.

This was far less risk.  I do think he’ll want a new deal soon, but not necessarily right away.

Yep. He is very Antonio Brown like. 

If he wants a new deal then he is going to have to go the right way about it because after 2020 he has 3 years of contract and very little guaranteed money so he has minimal leverage. If he doesn't show up he doesn't get paid. If he produces on the field in 2020 can I see the Bills maybe reworking that contract to give him a bit extra guaranteed money as a reward? Maybe. But would have to be on their terms.  

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 5

6 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

This is AMAZING!!! Game changing. Stop stressing the first round pick, totally fair compensation for him. I’m sure if they could of pulled Hopkins they would have but this is not a bad trade at all 

Congrats, I searched Diggs and you were the guy that was pushing for the bIlls to get him months ago.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I am absolutely fine with this trade. We wanted to use that 1st round pick to find a top end receiver and the draft wasn't quite lining up that way in terms of likely value at that spot. 

Diggs is proven, he is 26 and in his prime and he has a contract which frankly is a bargain the next 4 years. 

What is not to like? 

Oh and the people saying "Diggs is like John Brown" really, really, really need to watch some film of Stefon Diggs. 

100% agree. And this has the added bonus of assuaging my concerns that they'd waste 22 on a lineman.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

A good trade. Only thing I’m worried about is his character concerns! Not a good teammate or a good guy!

He is known for being a great guy in the Minnesota community, visits kids hospitals, hands out turkeys at Thanksgiving etc. He complained about his QB and complained about targets, big deal.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, BruceVilanch said:

He is known for being a great guy in the Minnesota community, visits kids hospitals, hands out turkeys at Thanksgiving etc. He complained about his QB and complained about targets, big deal.

He complained mainly about targets. He will get plenty in this offense. 

• Like (+1) 2