McBeane Approval Rating?

Aproval Rating of the Administration  

263 members have voted

1. 1. Through 3 years, and on the cusp of a huge offseason, where is your approval rating for the McBeane admin?

• 0-20
    • 21-40
    • 41-60
    • 61-70
    • 71-80
    • 81-90
    • 91-100

What is your personal approval rating of the McBeane administration to date? 

Lower number negative, higher number positive where 0 = completely disprove, fire them all; and 100 = completely approve, they can do no wrong and I will forever love them.

Feel free to give a specific number and explain why if you want.

Edited by whatdrought

5 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

81-90 for me.

Have done a lot of good, have had their fair share of Mistakes...

Will never put a coach or GM into the 90-100 range until they start winning some playoff games.

My thoughts exactly. I think I'd be in the 86-88 range if I were to narrow it even further. 

• Like (+1) 2

80-90 for both Beane and McDermott. They have done a nice job with the rebuild and changing the culture of this organization. I will bump the score up to 100 when/if the Lombardi trophy comes to Orchard Park, NY.

Solid, steady, sustainable growth.   Not much to complain about.  

Sure, some people will complain about this move or that move.   But the name of the game is winning and being a position to win more, and that describes what McBeane have done.

• Like (+1) 3

I'd say low 90's.  Beane and company have been making pretty good moves and doing a great job of keep flexibility on the cap, which is huge.

Not all of their moves have panned out, but you can see they are actively trying to make the team better, which is all I can ask for.

Now, let's get some 'reasonably' priced free agents, except for maybe 1 'splash' FA.  Maybe a DE? :)  Then draft a couple of great WR's in the draft and we will be golden.

39 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

81-90 for me.

Will never put a coach or GM into the 90-100 range until they start winning some playoff games.

Same as done a great job, the only way they'd go higher is if/when win a Super Bowl. 

Love the culture and expectation of winning.

Many shrewd moves (Phillips, McKenzie, Duke, Wade, overhauling OL, snaking draft picks for cast offs)

Great drafts! (young, cheap TALENT)

But some clunkers too (Benjamin, Vontae, overpaying Star, pursuing AB, etc)

Overall, love riding the upward trend with this team. Next 5+ years look VERY promising!

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Love the culture and expectation of winning.

Many shrewd moves (Phillips, McKenzie, Duke, Wade, overhauling OL, snaking draft picks for cast offs)

Great drafts! (young, cheap TALENT)

But some clunkers too (Benjamin, Vontae, overpaying Star, pursuing AB, etc)

Overall, love riding the upward trend with this team. Next 5+ years look VERY promising!

I don't get how this keeps coming up..... Beane said he inquired about his availability just like any good GM would do if a great player became available. From what came out after, there wasn't even a deal in place.

As for the actual poll. I love the culture, I think the roster is getting better. 

It just seemed like last year at times, they weren't letting Josh Allen be Josh Allen. I think this off-season and season is going to be a huge tell of McDermott and Co.

13 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Why do we have to lump them together? Beane is in charge of the roster. McDermott is in charge of coaching. They have different jobs. They are different people. They should receive different grades.

I think it's appropriate to grade them together.  As we've seen in the past, if you don't have a strong relationship between both the GM and the Coach, then that's usually a recipe for a failed organization.  They absolutely have to be on the same page.  The vision of both are completely aligned and i'm very happy of where we're at. 

For the grading, i'd put them right around 89-91.  I know everyone wants to see playoff wins or the ultimate goal of a SB win before grading them high, but they have taken us to the playoffs 2 out of 3 years and now a 10 win season.  And they've done this without any superstars on the team and with very low expectations.  That alone puts them in the 91-100 category for me.

• Like (+1) 1

Considering where this franchise has been over the last 20 years and where it is now headed they deserve 91-100.

Of course they are not perfect but based on what we have endured they about as close to that 100 that this fan base will ever see.

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

Considering where this franchise has been over the last 20 years and where it is now headed they deserve 91-100.

Of course they are not perfect but based on what we have endured they about as close to that 100 that this fan base will ever see.

Agreed.  What we've endured over the last few decades and comparing what they've done compared to our other GM/Coaches of the past, it's hard not to put them over the 90 mark. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

81-90

He has established a winning RESPECT culture that now has players wanting to come here with expectations. He's had some misses with players but he is responsible with so much of the good and drafted quite well.

I can't go past 90 until the division is won and playoff games are won. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

I think it's appropriate to grade them together.  As we've seen in the past, if you don't have a strong relationship between both the GM and the Coach, then that's usually a recipe for a failed organization.  They absolutely have to be on the same page.  The vision of both are completely aligned and i'm very happy of where we're at. 

For the grading, i'd put them right around 89-91.  I know everyone wants to see playoff wins or the ultimate goal of a SB win before grading them high, but they have taken us to the playoffs 2 out of 3 years and now a 10 win season.  And they've done this without any superstars on the team and with very low expectations.  That alone puts them in the 91-100 category for me.

I just don’t think that makes any sense. What if you like the roster but not the in game decisions? What if you like the preparedness of the team but think that the roster has major holes? We don’t say, “what’s your opinion of Hallen (Josh Allen and Jerry Hughes)?” Why, because they do different things!! There’s no reason to lump 2 people with very different roles together. 

Maybe my annoyance from this comes from my time in sports but these are very different roles. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

81-90 for me, which is about as good as it can be with no playoff wins.

Nobody is perfect and I dont expect that. They've done well so far. Now need to take the next step.

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I just don’t think that makes any sense. What if you like the roster but not the in game decisions? What if you like the preparedness of the team but think that the roster has major holes? We don’t say, “what’s your opinion of Hallen (Josh Allen and Jerry Hughes)?” Why, because they do different things!!

I only approve of Hallen with David Lee Roth as the singer. I give that lineup a solid 91-100.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I scored him 91 to 100.  We earned a playoff appearance last year and we're still something like $90 million under the cap.  That's remarkable.  

I may change his grade depending on how well he drafts this year and how well he spends that $90 mil but so far I'm really happy with Beane.  I especially liked how Beane decisively disassembled the team before reassembling it with the kind of players he and McD want.  That took some cojones.  

Beane has had his misses but I don't expect any GM to bat 1.000.  Even talented guys swing and miss sometimes.  

Edited by hondo in seattle

I voted 81-90, and I would personally put them at 90.

I loved Beane's approach to free agency last season and he brought in some good players for us. Overall he has done a remarkable job. Yes, not every player he's brought in has been a home run, but he is doing everything he can to make the Bills a better team.

McDermott's attitude that he brings to the team is fantastic, and the players have bought into the culture. The Bills have become an exciting team to watch again, and I believe that there is a lot more to look forward to and get excited about.

To get into the 91-100 range, they have to win in the playoffs.

Also, I want to see McDermott approach the game on offense with a killer instinct. My one and only criticism of him.

• Like (+1) 1

He was in the 80 to 90 for me

- Complete rebiuld of the team....complete rebiuld of the culture

- Created a situation where most of the team is under contract AND having like 90 million in cap space

- Found our QB

- 2 playoff seasons in 3 years

Now to get that last 10 percent from me?  We have to LEGIT compete for a championship.....everything done so far is great....but bills fans deserve a championship

I think they get pretty high marks.  Outstanding on culture change, character, drafting (all rounds), UDFA signings, free agent selection, mixing young and veteran players, managing contracts and so far, the salary cap.  

A few areas to call out:

-- Cap management will become an important issue over the next couple years as there will have to be contracts for current players and re-signings. Some of it is resigning young guys, but also how to manage the situation with players like Poyer and Hyde who have been stars, outperformed their contracts and are now about 30.

-- I'm still bothered that we traded out of Mahomes spot (and Watson still on the board), but I get that McDermott didn't feel ready to take a QB.  That's a major evaluation process and he would have had to trust the outgoing regime on that call.

-- I like Allen a lot, but they got away with an enormous risk in his first season.  They didn't hire a proper QB coach for him.  The guy they hired was a WR coach.  And they didn't have a seasoned QB to help mentor him.  The went with just Peterman and then JA had to get thrown in halfway through the opening game.  He came back strong from the injury, showed promise and they essentially got away with this oversight.  It was good to see that they addressed the issue properly in the 2nd year.  That was a big strategic mistake and they got away with one there.

Overall... good job so far!!

Edited by cage

The real value McBeane have brought, is bringing credibility back to the Bills Organization as a whole. The Bills were basically irrelevant for decades before this regime, it cannot be understated how well, and quickly, they've turned it around.

I do have some issues with our gameday conservative offensive mindset, but overall McBeane has been more than solid, 90+ approval rating from me.

So far so good.  If he blows this draft by passing on a legit WR again, my confidence in him will wane.  I already have my doubts about Beane's ability to put together a capable offense.

Getting to the playoffs is good, but not as good as winning in the playoffs. The last thing I want is to be in a Bill O'Brien (won his 1st this past season)/Marvin Lewis rut.

• Like (+1) 1

I went 81-90 

They have done a remarkable job, especially compared to the previous nearly two decade fiasco they inherited. 

I will be bumping that up for the upcoming playoffs ?

7 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

So far so good.  If he blows this draft by passing on a legit WR again, my confidence in him will wane.  I already have my doubts about Beane's ability to put together a capable offense.

Getting to the playoffs is good, but not as good as winning in the playoffs. The last thing I want is to be in a Bill O'Brien (won his 1st this past season)/Marvin Lewis rut.

Yeah I have no problem with these backup/Josh Norman type signings....but if we pass up on available good offensive talent I am going to be upset this year......

It was a little frustrating to know you can win playoff games (like last year's)  only to lose them because you didnt score enough points.

This defense is going to be good no matter what.....even with the talent we CURRENTLY have.....we need to biuld a dependable offense

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

81-90 for me.

Are you calculating those things you disagree with as their fair share of mistakes or just the actual fair share of mistakes??

91 - 100 for me. He’s been great. Can’t wait to see what he will do in FA and the draft. I have a feeling he has a big trade up his sleeve this year and will go all on to win to the super bowl.

Edited by wppete
  • Like (+1) 1

81 - 90 was my vote sure they have missed on a couple but they can't get better by sitting back & doing nothing the KB thing at first due to what he did with the Panthers we as fans thought he was a good get but we found out along with McBeane just exactly why the Panthers let him walk .

So you can't fault a guy for trying, I think he will continue to find good players & McD will continue coaching them up to make the Bills a contender every year !! 

I'd put McD at 82 and Beane at 90 for an average of 86.  

If Beane lands a playmaker or two this draft then he bumps up above 90 (gotta have more than solid players and depth to win in January).  

If McD can clean up some of his game management decisions and get deep into the playoffs that pushes him into the high 80s.  Defensively he's a mid-high 90s, but as a head coach there's still some areas with room for improvement.