Improving the O right now.

peterpan

30 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

and doesn’t play ST does he. Foster and Roberts do. Just like you need from your WR 5 and WR6 

ST has been losing us games.  Give me the guy who helped us win like Duke did already this year.  Foster and Roberts have not helped this team.  Both their roles are replaceable, and yet you only have to replace one to make Duke active...or neither and deactivate someone like Lee Smith and all his penalties.  

Josh plays better. Receivers stop dropping balls. Problem solved.  I don't care who you put in there, if Josh doesn't pull it all together, the offense isn't going to improve. Josh can't pull it together if the receivers don't catch passes. 

Duke is not going to make a difference. It is silly to think he will. 

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Why fans here prioritize STs play over an offense that has trouble scoring frankly make no sense, regardless of nonsense they have been trained to say.

Go Bills!!!

Good question. As is why some fans think a practice squad barely in the NFL guy is the missing piece of the offense. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

Sure thing smart guy: my suggestion is to not needlessly tinker with the active roster on a 10-4 playoff team and start altering gameplans to involve marginalia that have barely played. That good enough for you chief?

You if not else are persistent, in your desire for inaction, as long as your good with that, more power to you chief, by the way, ya know we both can’t be the chief, right? ?

Go Bills!!!

8 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Good question. As is why some fans think a practice squad barely in the NFL guy is the missing piece of the offense. 

The same thing was said about Steve Johnson until he was given more and more time to play. If he's not allowed to play in games with the 1st offense how will they ever see if he's worth starting? He must be really awful on special teams to not be dressed the past several weeks. 

9 minutes ago, ngbills said:

And there we have identified your confusion, DW is on the 53 man active roster, now a clearer understanding is available to you. 

Oh by the way, Do you want to be the chief too? ?

Go Bills!!!

2 hours ago, Lofton80 said:

Bench Ford? He has played great the last 3 weeks.

I don’t understand the issue people have with Ford , IMO Allen needs to get rid of the quicker or just throw it AWAY ITS OK  it’s better then taking a sack , 

and I agree with with you he was pretty good the last few weeks 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Can they have different plays too. For example, could someone draw up a screen play that actually works. 

Couldn't hurt.  It would seem that Daboll is very light on screen plays -- bubble and standard.  They hardly run them, and when they do, it is less than impressive.

Daboll has drawn up some good plays, it is just that he does a mediocre to poor job of calling plays.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

ST has been losing us games.  Give me the guy who helped us win like Duke did already this year.  Foster and Roberts have not helped this team.  Both their roles are replaceable, and yet you only have to replace one to make Duke active...or neither and deactivate someone like Lee Smith and all his penalties.  

a 10-4 coaching staff thinks otherwise. 

and it is 6 in one hand half a dozen in the other. 

Bills have no real threat at WR outside Brown and Beasley. And that includes Duke Williams 

Edited by MAJBobby

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

and doesn’t play ST does he. Foster and Roberts do. Just like you need from your WR 5 and WR6 

I’m not disagreeing, but this always seemed odd to me. If I’m WR #5-6, I’m moving in with the ST coach, hoping to become a Pro Bowl ST guy. Do whatever it takes! Is there some reason he just can’t be a good special team player if he worked at it? Does he lack in some way that he can’t be a valuable ST guy? I know I’d die trying! 

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Ahhh Duke Williams. The slow WR that can’t separate that Bills fans fall in love with. After this year he will be added to all the other PS Gems we have had over the years. 

Ha Ha considering none of our other receivers seem to get separation that often your being a little hard on the Dukester.

Gore is a proven playoff caliber RB. its doubtful he will be benched. A 2 game rest is likely

Beasley will be a big contributor IF Daboll will target him more. Edelmen dropped more then a few last week.

Believe it or not Ford graded out well vs Pittsburgh

Edited by HOUSE
  • Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Putin said:

I don’t understand the issue people have with Ford , IMO Allen needs to get rid of the quicker or just throw it AWAY ITS OK  it’s better then taking a sack , 

and I agree with with you he was pretty good the last few weeks 

Ford has been doing a pretty good job of forcing edge rushers to run the arc. 

3 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

You lost me at “bench Ford.”  Luckily it was at the end of your post.  Just stop with this nonsense.  The rook has more than held his own against some of the best pass rushers in the league over the past few weeks.  He’s getting better and better.  

Spot on.

Remember when all the knee-jerk coaches were hammering Edmunds rookie year.  This is reminiscent.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

a 10-4 coaching staff thinks otherwise. 

and it is 6 in one hand half a dozen in the other. 

Bills have no real threat at WR outside Brown and Beasley. And that includes Duke Williams 

Well that 10-4 staff thought enough of him to send Zay packing and bring him up after people like you said he would never be active.  And that decision literally won us a game or we may not be 10-4 right now and in position to still have a shot at the divisional title.

At the end of the day, him being inactive I think lies squarely on 2 factors...Dabolls system and his preference for gimmicky plays that use speed and also the ST factor.  

But at the end of the day, there is no denying having a larger reliable target with good hands would have been of value in several key situations the last couple of weeks.  In the Ravens game alone, the critical drops by Knox killed two dries where we were moving the ball.  And on the final play, a big target who can high point a ball and catch it would have had value too.  

Again, no one says Duke is going to a pro bowl, but the reality in very limited appearances he has already done more than several guys active every week and his skill set would have some value in some tough spots against physical defenses.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, WildBills said:

The same thing was said about Steve Johnson until he was given more and more time to play. If he's not allowed to play in games with the 1st offense how will they ever see if he's worth starting? He must be really awful on special teams to not be dressed the past several weeks. 

Stevie was drafted by the Bills and played in 11 games as a rookie. He was hurt much of 2009 and then won the starting job in 2010. He was working hard to earn to earn his spot and become the player he did. He didnt start high school football until his Jr year. Went to JUCO and then Kentucky. It was not a matter of just throw him in there more and he would have produced more from day 1 because he was some hyped guy. He earned it with hard work and dedication to become good enough..

Duke is a completely different story. All hype and expectations. He has arrived already and is not getting a chance. 

We have one thread saying mcdermott is an elite coach. 
More threads and pages about the active roster than I can count. 
Have a little faith here, these coaches are not stupid. They see duke and Yeldon almost everyday all season and the work they do in film and practice there has to be a reason they decide they cannot help the team on game day. They always stick to their plan regardless of what fans say. 
How many times can we beat this to death and debate over a 27? year old rookie and a receiving back with a mediocre background? 
Im all for them getting a chance to play but damn we have beaten this horse to death, just to start more threads and beat those to death. It’s the same argument in most threads. 

In the end josh has plenty of weapons at his disposal if he actually uses them and you have to think if he felt duke was a piece he needed on the field he would be harassing the staff to activate him. Rather it’s daboll holding him back, or josh not being able to see the field and make the correct reads, or whatever we have beaten every point to death on those inactive roster guys 

Edited by Rc2catch
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, peterpan said:

Obviously our O is suspect.  There's a lot to be addressed this off-season, but what can we do right now to get better????  Here are some of my ideas. 

Bench Gore.  He is just too slow.  This has been a long season for him, and he doesn't have the burst he had in week 1.  Give Yeldon a shot.  He is fresh.  Gore could potentially come back during the playoffs if he gets some burst back.  

Play Kroft more.  Knox has made some high light plays, but mainly I've seen him drop easy passes.  Idk if Kroft is better, but, Beane gave him a big money contract, so I have to think he will be  more reliable. We need some reliability right now. 

McKenzie over Beasley, sometimes.  Beasley also has had way too many drops.  McKenzie is quick too and may be more reliable at this moment.  Beasley is in a slump.  

Activate Duke!!! Duke has reliable hands and can compete for jump balls.  That is something this offense desperately needs!!!  Andre Roberts does not justify a roster spot for being a kick returner, and Lee Smith doesn't either, for his role. Activate Duke Williams!!! He would be drawing the dime CB while on the field.  Get him singled up 1v1 and throw him the ball!!!  Duke could have a big impact on hot reads too, when facing an all out blitz, ala Baltimore.  I personally think DW would have caught that 4th down pass v Baltimore, if he was in that position.  

Bench Ford.  Hopefully Nseke is healthy soon, and can start.  Ford has been the weak spot on the OL.   I think Nseke, being a veteran, will offer a lot in a post season push.  

Any other ideas???

Yes bring in Yeldon.

No amount of money will make Kroft a better TE.

Beasley may be a butterfingered dwarf lately, but McKenzie's a solid #3, at his best.  If drops were the decider,  Knox, Beasley, Brown and Singletary would never get a target (25 drops among them so far).

Enough with the Duke Williams already.  You have to let his 6 NFL catches for 9.7 YPC (which was actually weighted by a single catch of 23 yards) go.  He's become a mythical character here for so many--attributing all sorts of magical skills.  A figurative giant (he's 6' 2").

Ford can't go anywhere because there's no quality depth behind him.

• Thank you (+1) 1

If, in week 17 we have nothing to gain or lose vs. the Jets, I think duke and yeldon will be activated. I wish them success, but please keep in mind our coaching staff has guided this team to the playoffs in 2 out of the past 3 seasons. Without duke or yeldon. Beating the duke horse to a pulp is kinda ridiculous at this point. Even when disguised as a different topic.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Dopey said:

If, in week 17 we have nothing to gain or lose vs. the Jets, I think duke and yeldon will be activated. I wish them success, but please keep in mind our coaching staff has guided this team to the playoffs in 2 out of the past 3 seasons. Without duke or yeldon. Beating the duke horse to a pulp is kinda ridiculous at this point. Even when disguised as a different topic.

sure absolutely if they want to dress those 2 in a meaningless week 17 by all means - protect the guys that will actually have to play in the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, peterpan said:

Obviously our O is suspect.  There's a lot to be addressed this off-season, but what can we do right now to get better????  Here are some of my ideas. 

Bench Gore.  He is just too slow.  This has been a long season for him, and he doesn't have the burst he had in week 1.  Give Yeldon a shot.  He is fresh.  Gore could potentially come back during the playoffs if he gets some burst back.  

Play Kroft more.  Knox has made some high light plays, but mainly I've seen him drop easy passes.  Idk if Kroft is better, but, Beane gave him a big money contract, so I have to think he will be  more reliable. We need some reliability right now. 

McKenzie over Beasley, sometimes.  Beasley also has had way too many drops.  McKenzie is quick too and may be more reliable at this moment.  Beasley is in a slump.  

Activate Duke!!! Duke has reliable hands and can compete for jump balls.  That is something this offense desperately needs!!!  Andre Roberts does not justify a roster spot for being a kick returner, and Lee Smith doesn't either, for his role. Activate Duke Williams!!! He would be drawing the dime CB while on the field.  Get him singled up 1v1 and throw him the ball!!!  Duke could have a big impact on hot reads too, when facing an all out blitz, ala Baltimore.  I personally think DW would have caught that 4th down pass v Baltimore, if he was in that position.  

Bench Ford.  Hopefully Nseke is healthy soon, and can start.  Ford has been the weak spot on the OL.   I think Nseke, being a veteran, will offer a lot in a post season push.  

Any other ideas???

I like all of your ideas EXCEPT benching Ford. The kid has some developing to do, but isnt as bad as some make him out to be. As Collinsworth mentioned, no QB in the entire NFL holds the ball as long as Josh Allen. It was something ridiculous too. If Josh makes his throws on time, the OL instantly becomes better.

I really like the McKenzie over Beasley sometimes idea tho.

3 hours ago, DuckyBoys said:

I'd like to see Allen with both Yeldon and Singeltary in the backfield

If Mckenzie is active run the jet sweep

Stop running Gore wide

Use more 2 TE sets with Knox and Kroft

Stop sending Beasley deep

Stop lining Patrick Dimarco out wide

They need to stop lining up dimarco anywhere. He's slow and terrible. Yeldon would be a much better choice to be on the field over him. 

1. Bench Gore and play Yeldon. If Gore must be on the the active roster sue to veteran respect, then bench DiMarco. 

2. Throw more to Beasley not less

3. More double TE single back formations. 

4. More run heavy three TE sets

5. Activate Duke and sit McKenzie. I don't think Duke can get consistent seperation. But in limited time he has shown hands as good or better than Brown. He has experience playing in cold weather. He is a big body.

6. Keep running the ball. 

7. Three deep shots per game including one early. Preferably McKenzie on a wheel route against a LB

8. No more trick plays until the playoffs. They can beat both the Pats and Jets without trickery, Pats are disciplined and probably wouldn't work, and it's best to save a new trick play for the playoff game.

8 hours ago, peterpan said:

Any other ideas???

Nope

They are going to go with what got them here..they are going to go with Gore because he has veteran and playoff experience.  Truth be told I would have rather seen Yeldon over Gore a little more to give Gore more rest going towards the end of the season

Ty would probably start if he was healthy

Been calling for Duke for a while....but the bills just dont agree

I would not take Bease off the field under any circumstance....he might have had some bad drops...he has also actually made plays.

The biggest problem this team has right now is past Brown and Bease the rest of the WR core is a bunch of Jags.....Robert Foster either isnt being used right or just has lost it......McKenzie doesnt get used correctly....there is no number 1 wide out on the team to push Brown to 2 and Bease to 3.....this offseason should be all about the WR position.

Other then that.....this team is set to do serious damage this playoffs......we will eventually run into a team that is more balanced but until them I am enjoying the ride

1. Bench Gore and play Yeldon. If Gore must be on the the active roster sue to veteran respect, then bench DiMarco. 

2. Throw more to Beasley not less

3. More double TE single back formations. 

4. More run heavy three TE sets

5. Activate Duke and sit McKenzie. I don't think Duke can get consistent seperation. But in limited time he has shown hands as good or better than Brown. He has experience playing in cold weather. He is a big body.

6. Keep running the ball. 

7. Three deep shots per game including one early. Preferably McKenzie on a wheel route against a LB

8. No more trick plays until the playoffs. They can beat both the Pats and Jets without trickery, Pats are disciplined and probably wouldn't work, and it's best to save a new trick play for the playoff game.

9. I never thought much of the Nsekhe signing but he has been ok at RT. Sit him until the playoff game to allow maximum time to heel. Keep starting Ford and bring in Nsekhe if Ford struggles early in the playoff game.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

You lost me at “bench Ford.”  Luckily it was at the end of your post.  Just stop with this nonsense.  The rook has more than held his own against some of the best pass rushers in the league over the past few weeks.  He’s getting better and better.  

Not only that, but Nsekhe was listed as "DNP" - for a Tuesday walkthrough.  I dont think he's playing this week.