Snap Poll: Should NFL Football have a "Mercy Rule"?

Should NFL Football have a "Mercy Rule"?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be a mercy rule in NFL football?

• Yes - a 45-6 game is painful to watch
    • No - The Comeback
  2. 2. Bonus: if there were to be a mercy rule, what should the point differential be?

This poll is closed to new votes

I played sports my whole life, into my college years. By the time my kids were 10-12 they had played more games with a ref, a uniform and a scoreboard than I ever did. NEVER with a mercy rule. (We left baseball behind early. As one son said “do I have to do All Star season? In baseball half the people are standing around, and the other half are sitting.) 

Only ONCE did I ever get on either kid in any sport, school or AAU. It was rec league hoops, my youngest was up against and older, MUCH bigger team. He could touch the net, they could dunk.  He was middle school, they were high school. The rout was on, and his team just seemed to quit. Not shocking. 

I caught his eye heading up court and asked “have you QUIT?” He might not remember that moment, but I will forever. He became himself again, and fought to the end. I’m so proud of him and that moment. It helped build him into what he is today, NEVER a quitter, always a worker and fighter.

Thank God he got some of his mom’s genes!  ?

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I like the way you think!!!!!

I'm not splitting the "No" vote, you can (and did) write that in

Why would you make the “No” choice “No the comeback” in a blow out scenario instead of “No you finish the game” in this poll?  

I mean that’s about as bad a choice as it was to even ask this question in the first place.  

No.  One reason is simply to let the players get their stats.  When they're doing well the stats help them with their next contract.

The way teams that are ahead by a lot try not to rub it in is to become more conservative in play calling, but you don't tell players to go less than full speed, because they're more likely to get hurt like that.  So an offense will switch from passing to rushing.  Of course if it's rushing that's killing the other guy, there's a problem.

Are the players going to forfeit a ratio of their paycheck relative to the amount of game forfeited?

These aren’t young children playing travel league sports for fun. These are millionaires playing a game that is a business. Play (and try) until the game is over.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Don't believe in it. In fact when I was coaching (semi-pro soccer) my view was always the worse it got the more incumbent upon me it was to show some defiance. I have told the story a few times about taking over a perennial bad team and having to change the culture. 

Well my first half season there we lost a game 9-1. It was 4-0 at half time and the second half was played in a downpour. I didn't go and hide in the covered dugout I stood in the rain right on the sideline for the full 45 minutes. It was about showing the team that even when things are really going badly I would not tolerate people hiding. You take your medicine and you finish that thing out. 

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Obvious what spurred this thread I think

To you maybe!!!  ;)  ;)  :D :D   

When though?  The half? ... While reasonable it's too early. 

At the beginning of the 4th QTR a 40 point lead = Call it a game!!! 

But I doubt it will ever happen 

So my votes were based on the hypothetical 

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost

7 hours ago, Limeaid said:

The winning coach needs to good decisions on who to pull and if the coach can't then he did not deserve to win.

Same thing if he leaves in a player he cannot replace and gets injured.

I voted for mercy.  Not all starters can be replaced one for one with backups, especially if a starter or two has been injured in the game already.  Moreover, many good teams have non-starters who are crucial pieces in certain situations on both offense and defense such as nickel backs on defense or the fourth WR on teams that use a lot of 4 and 5 WR sets.

Absolutely no mercy rule,  

Talk about a first world problem...