Wasn't the defense's fault. The offense needs to be better

Adamb412

10 minutes ago, Luka said:

Sorry but when they give up 200+ yards on the ground, they are to blame just as much as the offense. Score in the 20's? Guess what, the Eagles scored 31.

Defense more responsible for the 5 wins than the offense

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Adamb412 said:

This offense needs to show some life some style points. I don't know if it's allen or dabol but this offense stinks it's needs to be able to score in the 20s consistently 

I agree.  The Bills were down 24-13.  Had the ball in great field position..they had the ball for THREE straight possessions.. and the pop gun offense managed like 20 total yards on those 3 possessions.  Hideous offense.  You need the offense to come through for one game and bail out the defense and they failed miserably.  

I won't let the D off the hook.. but alot of the 200 yards rushing was to kill the clock after the offense could do nothing to make it a game.

Offense needs to be better, obviously.   We are halfway through the offensive rebuild.  Still need, and assuredly have plans, to bring in some more pieces in the offseason. 

The Defense is supposed to be our strength, with a ton of assets devoted to that side. 

In a game with abnormally high winds, and messy conditions, you expect to be able to lean on your defense.   You don't expect them to get completely annihilated by the opponents ground game for an entire half like a JV squad.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Adamb412 said:

This offense needs to show some life some style points. I don't know if it's allen or dabol but this offense stinks it's needs to be able to score in the 20s consistently 

Bad defense and bad offense. Special teams not great either. Plenty of blame for everyone.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Adamb412 said:

Let's review. 

First half:

At two minutes before the half, the score is 7-3 Bills.  Both the offense and defense are playing decently.  Neither offense is managing to be explosive.

Allen fumbles (I hate the play call, but it is on him) giving the Eagles short-field and a TD/2 point conversion.  That's bad on the O.

Roberts on ST and Allen (pass and run) then make the most of the 25 seconds left to bring the Bills to the Philly 35, within long FG range for a windy day.  That's good on the O, but the 53-yarder isn't "money" on a windy day.
First half, one fumble from  a 7-3 lead, one missed FG from trailing 11-10 at the half, score is 11-7

Does that stink? 

Second half:

Eagles explode for a TD on the 1st drive, miss the XP.  17-7

Bills answer back for a TD on the next drive, have the XP blocked (ST miscue)  17-13 

Does that stink?

Instead of getting a stop, our D then lets their O complete 2 long passes and racks up a defensive Offside.  TD 24-13.  That ain't complementary football, and that's not on the O either. 

OK, we had a 3-and-out followed by a ST miscue we failed to exploit.  TOD with some very weird play calling (2 successful runs followed by 4 pass attempts - WTF?)

Then the D, instead of growing a spine, allowed an 8:17 drive that kept the O off the field into the 4Q.  31-13, that's the ballgame.

There is clearly plenty of blame to go around.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Let's review. 

First half:

At two minutes before the half, the score is 7-3 Bills.  Both the offense and defense are playing decently.  Neither offense is managing to be explosive.

Allen fumbles (I hate the play call, but it is on him) giving the Eagles short-field and a TD/2 point conversion.  That's bad on the O.

Roberts on ST and Allen (pass and run) then make the most of the 25 seconds left to bring the Bills to the Philly 35, within long FG range for a windy day.  That's good on the O, but the 53-yarder isn't "money" on a windy day.
First half, one fumble from  a 7-3 lead, one missed FG from trailing 11-10 at the half, score is 11-7

Does that stink? 

Second half:

Eagles explode for a TD on the 1st drive, miss the XP.  17-7

Bills answer back for a TD on the next drive, have the XP blocked (ST miscue)  17-13 

Does that stink?

Instead of getting a stop, our D then lets their O complete 2 long passes and racks up a defensive Offside.  That ain't complementary football, and that's not on the O either.

OK, we had a 3-and-out followed by a ST miscue we failed to exploit.  TOD with some very weird play calling (2 successful runs followed by 4 pass attempts - WTF?)

Then the D, instead of growing a spine, allowed an 8:17 drive that kept the O off the field into the 4Q.

The game didn't get out of hand until that point.

There is clearly plenty of blame to go around.

Yeah, that's pretty much how it went down.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I respectfully disagree about this being mostly on the offense and don't think we need to can McDermott or Daboll.  I put most blame on the defense, while also realizing that Allen/Daboll made a critical mistake before the end of the 1st half...  Our defense, coaches included need to find a way to better stop the run.  They let the offense move down the field way too easily in the second half.  I think it is important to realize that we are still in a rebuild though and that our front four needs some serious improvements made to it.  Ed Oliver needs to put on more muscle/weight, Jordan Phillips is the only other DL worth his money right now.  Hughes is a liability against the run and has lost some of his sack potential, Star is mediocre, Lawson is not starter material, and Trent Murphy is mediocre at best.  The most disappointing part of all of this is that we have found a flaw that is not disappearing this season, we can only hope that with draft capital/FA signings that we can correct this area in the offseason.  And Levi Wallace has been getting picked on too.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Adamb412 said:

Sorry you give up 218 to a Team that cant Run the ball.  Yeah that defense is a major part to blame.

Any time the defense gives up over 200 yards rushing on basically the same 3 plays over and over and over, then it's their fault.  End of story in my mind.

If I recall correctly, even the 85 bears had a bad game or two.  Doesn't mean the D is bad, but they definitely had a bad game.

Edited by Mark80

Everyone was bad yesterday except the punter.

-Offense was bad

-coaching was poor

-Defense couldn’t stop the run, and gave up a huge TD run after Milano and Edmunds were destroyed at Point of attack

-o line was dominated

- d-line was stood up repeatedly and got no edge rush. 

-Allen was bad 

-Even the home crowd was overrun with iggies fans. Every time the birdies scored they had no problem finding large pockets of fans to celebrate with. 

It it was just a bad game. 

Another country heard from:

I agree with @john wawrow on this.  The O did its job: got a touch, brought us within 1 score, gave the D a chance to regroup from the Blitzkreig of that 65 yd run on the Eagles opening drive.

The D needed to step up and answer.  Instead they gave up 2 more TDs, one on a brutally long clock-eating drive.

Did the O need to do something more, sure, but it's simply not all on their side of the ball much less all Allen.

• Like (+1) 3

Obviously the offense has to be much better than they are now.

However the D got torched by a iggles o-line, and the entire team in general, riddled with injuries.  That 8 minute TD drive that was mostly runs up the gut that basically sealed the game shouldn't happen to a "elite" defense in that situation, particularly when playing a backup o-line.

Edited by CodeMonkey
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1. There were problems on offense yesterday from not getting yardage on 1st down.

2,  BuffaloDefense  had  a few 2nd and 15+ and 3rd and 6+ to stop the eagles and fforce a punt and failed.  

It came down to a few plays

1. the late 1st half turnover...had Buffalo been able to go down the field and get a FG its 10-3 lead

2. The Big run play for a 65 yd TD by the eagles

5 hours ago, Adamb412 said:

Nah that was a total team failure yesterday. I can agree that we can’t realistically expect the defense to hold opponents to less than 20 points every week. The offense has to consistently score more points to keep us in most games going forward. But the defense deserves an equal amount of blame for yesterday. If they can’t shore up the run defense their problems will continue.

• Like (+1) 1

Bills offense performed on average almost exactly as it has performed under Coach McDermott since 2017.

Not sure why suddenly everyone is jumping on them now.

Two touchdowns and one field is the McDermott Offense Average through 2.5 seasons.

that is nearly what buffalo did yesterday.

nobody seemed to worry before yesterday.

This was a team loss. Both sides of the ball were not good enough. Only special teams showed up (not including the kicking game, but can't blame that too much given the wind and rain).

11 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I'd say 7 weeks!!!!  The Bills refuse to play entertaining offensive football.....  And sometimes the Defense rises to the occasion.

We certainly haven’t even put 3 full quarters of football together let alone 4. Send Dabolls butt up in the booth and have Dorsey/Barkley with Allen.

Edited by billsfan_34

2 hours ago, CodeMonkey said:

Obviously the offense has to be much better than they are now.

However the D got torched by a iggles o-line, and the entire team in general, riddled with injuries.  That 8 minute TD drive that was mostly runs up the gut that basically sealed the game shouldn't happen to a "elite" defense in that situation, particularly when playing a backup o-line.

Problem is this defense isnt elite in the least..they are decent but frazier is not a smash mouth defense that dictates what the offense does...instead he plays the "safe" cover two approach who is absolutely smashed against power olines and decent qbs...we only beat up on weak teams for the most part save a game here or there every season....frazier is not as good as he fooled 90% of the fan base into believing

• Like (+1) 1

Our coaches should be the ones getting the blame...frazier sat on the sidelines with his expressionless zombie stare as he kept calling the same defense over and over with the same results (where is his ability to make in game adjustments?)..and dabols genuis mind told himself our best way to win was use allen as a short yardage back,abandon the run and go pass happy with a 2nd year qb with 45+ mph winds...like wtf?

6 minutes ago, Billever76 said:

Problem is this defense isnt elite in the least..they are decent but frazier is not a smash mouth defense that dictates what the offense does...instead he plays the "safe" cover two approach who is absolutely smashed against power olines and decent qbs...we only beat up on weak teams for the most part save a game here or there every season....frazier is not as good as he fooled 90% of the fan base into believing

This fan base is pretty gullible......  Look what they did vs. the Jets, Titans, Cincy, Giants.... 

Yes they played great vs. NE.

• Like (+1) 1

This was a total team loss.  Josh Allen played poorly.  Both offensive and defensive lines were physically overmatched.  Receivers (from what I could see on TV) weren't getting open.  There were pre-snap penalties, poor tackling, and sloppy play all around, both offense and defense.